Kyrie Irving knows Boston would never let him leave

+2
dboss
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Kyrie Irving knows Boston would never let him leave Empty Kyrie Irving knows Boston would never let him leave

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:38 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/kyrie-irving-knows-boston-would-never-let-him-leave

Kyrie Irving knows Boston would never let him leave

By NBC Sports Boston Staff September 24, 2018 8:44 PM

After Jimmy Butler's request for a trade last week, Kyrie Irving's upcoming free agency has been the talk of the town.

The potential of Irving leaving Boston for New York has been a topic discussed on and off throughout the offseason, but with Butler's trade request, the rumors only grew louder.

In an exclusive interview with NBC Sports Boston, Irving ackowledges that he understands the spotlight that has been put on the situation he faces after this season.

“It comes with the territory, which I understand, and also, the point I’m at in my career, it warrants that, naturally.”

But Irving reiterated what he has been saying most of the offseason: that he knows he's in a a special situation with the Celtics, and appreciates that to its fullest extent.

“It’s like, man, if you only knew how special this organization was, and how special these guys are in this locker room... even if I had the inclination to test free agency, Boston’s gonna be like, ‘No, you’re coming back’. And I’m fine with that”

That certainly doesn't sound like someone who has one foot out the door, ready to bolt for the Knicks at the end of the year.

Irving also discussed his comfort level and familiarity, in comparison to this time last year.

“I think coming into this year, how comfortable I am, and being around the guys, it’s a lot different than just coming in off a trade... the focus is different, the feeling is different, the love is just the same… it’s just a lot more elevated, which I’m appreciative of."

Irving seems as excited as anyone about the upcoming season, and Celtics fans love to hear his glowing sponsership of the team and locker room that they've come to love over the last season.

Irving didn't sign an extension over the offseason, but it's been well-documented that it is a financial decision more than anything; he can earn tens of millions more if he waits until the end of this year. From all accounts, including Irving's, that's all it was: a financial decision.

It's a long season and anything can happen, but the early returns indicate that we should get used to the sight of Irving in Celtics green.

bob
MY NOTE:  So much for that NY media generated rumor.  What I liked was Kyrie's appreciation of the Celtics organization.  That is a sentiment that will connect with quality free agents who would be signing 3-4 year contracts.  IT sold Al Horford, in part, on that.

But don't forget, Kyrie, he's called Trader Danny for a reason.  He told Red to trade Bird (Bird!) and McHale and he did trade Pierce and Garnett.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Kyrie Irving knows Boston would never let him leave Empty Re: Kyrie Irving knows Boston would never let him leave

Post by dboss Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:46 am

In a German accent,

Any questions?

Nothing but Happy  Feelings coming out of Media Day.  Kyrie went above and beyond in sharing his admiration for the Celtics organization, his teammates and his comfort level in Boston.  

The very notion that he would leave in FA was absurd as there was no compelling reason to do so.  Why go to a rebuilding situation  with no time certain instead of remaining in a situation where the time is now and into the future.

The buildup to the 2018-19 campaign is on full blast.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Kyrie Irving knows Boston would never let him leave Empty Re: Kyrie Irving knows Boston would never let him leave

Post by wideclyde Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:42 am

I really like Irving as both a player and a person (seems pretty much a stand up type of young guy), but when money gets involved (on either side) players and owners can do some stupid things that could easily lead Irving to be with another team next season.

There is really no point in worrying about it now as banner #18 has to be the largest concern for the player, the team and us fans, in my opinion.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:16 pm

Don't worry, I have the lasso and handcuffs here, if he ever feels like wandering off the reservation, I got him!!!

This story is taking on a larger than life existence. I just want him on the court, playing with these guys, he will NEVER want to leave. This organization is first class, he had not been used to that with Gilbert. Now he knows what it is like to play for a first rate organization.. Wyc has said, he is not afraid to spend money to build a winner.

Again, I say, sit back, kick your feet up, and enjoy this magical ride we are going to be on this year
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:44 pm

Clyde

I would not worry about the money. Danny would not have traded for him just to rent him for 2 years.

Danny knew he would likely opt out and I am certain the Celtics will spend big to keep him.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:01 pm

wideclyde wrote:I really like Irving as both a player and a person (seems pretty much a stand up type of young guy), but when money gets involved (on either side) players and owners can do some stupid things that could easily lead Irving to be with another team next season.

There is really no point in worrying about it now as banner #18 has to be the largest concern for the player, the team and us fans, in my opinion.

clyde

When mind reading becomes an exact science - that's when I'll be willing to wager a buck or two.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:54 pm

Wyc was hitting the talk shows today. "Money is not the issue with the Celtics, Championships are". Felger kept pushing him, saying "do you realize the kind of money you are talking about"? Wyc laughed at him and thanked him for warning him. JERK!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:12 pm

dboss wrote:Clyde

I would not worry about the money.  Danny would not have traded for him just to rent him for 2 years.

Danny knew he would likely opt out and I am certain the Celtics will spend big to keep him.

I think you're right.

That had to be a consideration.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down