Doncic vs Simmons

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Doncic vs Simmons

Post by swish on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:17 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:Statistics are useful , but they don't always tell the whole story. It's a shooters league now, and my eyes told me that Simmons' inability to shoot from outside was a major handicap to the Sixers in their playoff series with the Celts. The lane repeatedly got clogged up because of it, IMO. They would be a better team if Simmons could shoot from the perimeter and Joel spent more time in the paint. Just my two cents.

jrleftfoot

I agree with your view that statistics are only a part of the story and along with the "eye ball test" help to formulate opinions. Below are a few points that are relative to the 76ers failure versus the Celtics in their recent series - specifically as related to 3 point shooting.
While the the 76ers were ranked 7th in offensive 3 point field goal percentage they were facing a Celtic team that ranked Number 1 in 3 point field goal defense.
During the regular Season the 76ers had 6 players that averaged at least 3 three point field goal attempts per game - and those 6 players average field goal percentage was .381 .
During the 5 game playoff series those six players averaged .304 .
Question--- Was the collapse the result of an outstanding Celtic defense or a 5 game slump by the 76ers shooters ?
Note--- Simmons could have made a difference - by shooting 17 for 17 from 3 point land - that would have brought the 76ers average up to .381 - added 51 p0ints total - for about 10 points per game.

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:17 pm

I thought Boston's wings shut down their 3 point efficiency.

...as part of their 4-1 domination.
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:31 pm

dboss wrote:I thought Boston's wings shut down their 3 point efficiency.

...as part of their 4-1 domination.

dboss

That's my opinion also

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:31 pm

I still think Simmons inability to shoot from distance was a drag on the Sixers against the Celts, and is an offensive limitation that may be conclusive in other playoff series. It is precisely against playoff quality defenses that it will come back to bite them.  I am not trying to convince y'all to agree with me. Enjoyed the discussion. Basketball
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by swish on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:41 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:I still think Simmons inability to shoot from distance was a drag on the Sixers against the Celts, and is an offensive limitation that may be conclusive in other playoff series. It is precisely against playoff quality defenses that it will come back to bite them.  I am not trying to convince y'all to agree with me. Enjoyed the discussion. Basketball

I hear you jr - that's what this forum is all about.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2