Extension Talks with Terry

Go down

Extension Talks with Terry

Post by dboss on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:43 pm

Here is the link.  Mrs. Dboss told me about this.

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2018/10/09/source-celtics-engaged-extension-talks-terry-rozier/

So apparently the Celtics do want to retain Terry.  This after all the fluff I made on available replacements in the draft.  Look the owners made good money.   They had operating income in the $89 million range and are the 5th most valued team.  Even if you subtract out taxes and interest for example, they made serious dough.

We are going to find out PDQ how deep they are willing to dig or take less profit.

This means that the Celtics will add at least two more young studs and may not part with Terry.  I like it.  Terry is really good.  Boston has spent 3 years developing him.
dboss

Back to top Go down

Re: Extension Talks with Terry

Post by bobheckler on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:12 pm

They had"extension talks" with Marcus Smart last year too.  Nothing happened because Smart wanted to find out his fair market value, and Rozier will be far more in demand than Smart.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Nevertheless they are interested in keeping him.  They are in the process of establishing his value.

We do not know what the numbers are or how far they are apart.  I do not expect a deal to be done.  Anything under $60 mill/4 is probably a nonstarter.

They have until Oct 15th to do a deal.
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:25 pm

He is a chip Danny may not want to lose to free agency. God knows there will be offers out there after the season when free agency opens up. He may make an offer Terry will accept, but my thinking is that this kid will go elsewhere after this year. But, who knows? Maybe the lure of fighting for a title year in and year out will appeal. I doubt it.
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:36 pm

Surprise, surprise. They just said on local news station that a deal will not be made before Monday's deadline with TR. He would be foolish to sign, unless Danny was really giving him one terrific contract
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:34 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Surprise, surprise.  They just said on local news station that a deal will not be made before Monday's deadline with TR.  He would be foolish to sign, unless Danny was really giving him one terrific contract

Absolutely - Terry will and should explore his options as a starter making starter money. I am sure Danny would love to sign him, but he couldn't offer the money Terry wants. However, I think this is far from over. Many things are still in play, including the possibility, no matter how slim, that Kyrie signs elsewhere. Smart could also be traded - he has a very movable contract. Danny is keeping as many options as possible open in a complex dynamic situation.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:29 am

Shamrock1000 wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:Surprise, surprise.  They just said on local news station that a deal will not be made before Monday's deadline with TR.  He would be foolish to sign, unless Danny was really giving him one terrific contract

Absolutely  - Terry will and should explore his options as a starter making starter money. I am sure Danny would love to sign him, but he couldn't offer the money Terry wants. However,  I think this is far from over. Many things are still in play, including the possibility, no matter how slim, that Kyrie signs elsewhere. Smart could also be traded - he has a very movable contract. Danny is keeping as many options as possible open in a complex dynamic situation.

If we were to make a move for Davis next offseason, a deal around Smart and Brown could open up the money and consistent minutes to re-sign Terry.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Why is everyone so willing to part with Brown??? I feel he may become one of the best, if not the best, all around players on this team. I know we have a glut of wings, but getting rid of Jaylen is not where I would go.
Time will tell, I guess
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:52 pm

still an option to trade him before he hits RFA and may be out of Dannys pay scale.

Phoenix has been desperate to find a starting level PG since the draft.

IF Danny is sure Irving re-signs this next off-season then something like

Rozier and Yabusele

for

Bender and Okobie works salary wise

but Danny should require the Suns 2020 first round pick to complete the deal ( note I am not talking next years pick, we already have 2-4 first next season).

IF Danny likes Bender (who knows, if he can play?) then maybe just a swap of firsts with the suns in 2020 might be enough.

kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:04 pm

The bold is mine, and may make TRo gone by the trade deadline.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/10/boston_celtics_rumors_2018_ter_2.html

Boston Celtics rumors 2018: Terry Rozier won't reach extension with Celtics, wants to be a starter

Updated Oct 12, 9:46 PM; Posted Oct 12, 9:46 PM
Terry Rozier talks contract extension, why he enjoys fashion

By Tom Westerholm

Boston Celtics guard Terry Rozier reportedly won't agree to an extension prior to the October 15 deadline, according to the Boston Globe's Adam Himmelsbach.

Assuming nothing changes, Rozier will be a restricted free agent this summer after the Celtics' season is over.

In interviews recently, Rozier has not sounded like a player who expects to reach an agreement, nor has he sounded particularly concerned about it. Himmelsbach reported Rozier is hoping to make something close to $20 million per year on his new deal -- money that might be prohibitive for the Celtics, given their current and future cap situation.

Per Himmelsbach, in addition to a big contract, Rozier also hopes to be a starter -- something the Celtics wouldn't be able to facilitate without significant shake-up. Kyrie Irving told fans and media he expects to re-sign in Boston this summer on something close to a five-year, $189 million deal, and Rozier won't start over Irving. Jaylen Brown has been playing something akin to the two since last year, and Rozier isn't likely to start over him either.

Rozier could accept the Celtics' qualifying offer of $4.3 million this summer as well, making him an unrestricted free agent in 2020.

But if Rozier is looking for a new situation, the Celtics might look to deal him prior to the February trade deadline. Acquiring control over Rozier's restricted free agency, assuming he doesn't simply take the qualifying offer, could be an attractive option for potential trade partners, and the Celtics have several back-up options at point guard.

The Celtics, who are championship contenders this season, could also simply let the season play out and see where Rozier's restricted free agency takes him.

"(The extension) is a huge step, but I've just been trying to focus so much," Rozier said, when asked about extension talks on Thursday. "We've got our first game coming up. That's big for us. We haven't been playing good in the preseason, so we've been trying to focus on us and I've been trying to take the pressure off the extension thing. So I'm focused on the team. If it's right for me to sign an extension, I will. If it's not, it still can happen in the summer. So, you never know."

Marcus Smart, who went through a similar situation last year, said Rozier just needs to be himself.

"It's tough, but Terry is a great player," Smart said. "Really, all he has to do is just go out there and let his play do the talking for him and not really focus on everything, because once you start focusing on it, it takes you out of what the real goal is, and that's to help this team win a banner. When you start doing that, focusing on things and distractions like that, it kind of puts you out of whack. So my advice to Terry is just go out there and play. Don't think about anything else but playing, and everything else will fall into place."

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:31 pm

This is one player I do not see Danny letting just walk away. His phones will be ringing constantly until the right deal all of a sudden pops up. Rozier will not sign here, he is gone. Big dreams need to be fulfilled, and I just don't see this being the place for him unless we are shocked and Kyrie moves on
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:01 pm

Rosalie

I agree with you regarding Jaylen Brown.

Also Terry has way too much value to let him walk. The problem however is that the Celtics need him this season so if they made a midseason trade it could hurt their title hopes. But at the same time if they wait until he hits RFA some team could offer more than what the Celtics can match.

It is really a catch 22.

Boston could just take the hit and use one of their first round picks to find a replacement after the season is over.

Also if some team were ti lose their PG Like SA for example, Danny could use it as an opportunity to trade Terry and get back a 1st.

dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Recent reports are that Danny offered Rozier $12M/year.  Other reports are that he wants $20M AND he wants to start.

I wouldn't accept $12M/year if I was Terry either, starter or no starter.  It does give us an idea how far apart they are though.  Smart's extension offer was for $14M and he ended up @ $13M but Rozier will be in more demand.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:36 pm

I believe he will be one of those players who gets a big contract and moves on. He can talk all he wants, but in the end, at the end of an interview he says it will be an adjustment not being on the starting team in the first game. This kid is talented, no doubt, and Brad likes him alot, but he also has a big ego. I suppose what young guy wouldn't with that happened last year.

He is a great rebounding guard, which I find very appealing. How many times to you see him end up with the ball in his hands after the opposing team misses a shot. He is athletic and talented. I am just not convinced that he would be the right guy, even if Kyrie walked.

I see Phoenix, Miami, Orlando, NY, so many teams making a run at him if he has a year like last year. I guess it is all in the hands of management. They know what he wants, it is up to them to decide if he will get it here or elsewhere.
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:08 pm

Heard he just rejected 3 years 36 million.
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty on Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:40 pm

Beat I saw that as well.

I don't think either side is off their shot glass for the amounts they were looking at 12 vs 20

its always interesting how these things work out, theres a part of me that says, well ok lets give him the money, next yr when that deals goes into effect if Kyrie leaves we are still ok, if he stays, we have multiple draft picks and a 20 million dollar deal we offer to get another star.

on the other hand, sometimes the market can be your best friend, (turner) and sometimes it can bite ya in the keister (smart signed for less than what he rejected a year earlier and he agent claimed that not going higher was going to cost the Celtics big time this summer).

who knows what the market will look like next season. How many teams will have 20 million laying around to offer?
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:09 pm

Matty wrote: Beat I saw that as well.

I don't think either side is off their shot glass for the amounts they were looking at 12 vs 20

its always interesting how these things work out, theres a part of me that says, well ok lets give him the money, next yr when that deals goes into effect if Kyrie leaves we are still ok, if he stays, we have multiple draft picks and a 20 million dollar deal we offer to get another star.

on the other hand, sometimes the market can be your best friend, (turner) and sometimes it can bite ya in the keister (smart signed for less than what he rejected a year earlier and he agent claimed that not going higher was going to cost the Celtics big time this summer).

who knows what the market will look like next season. How many teams will have 20 million laying around to offer?

All there needs to be is one....

But that said how much is a shot a real shot at a championship worth vs playing for a team like the knicks?
Think I’ll focus on this season before I think too much about next season.

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:34 pm

Me too Beat. As my Mom said IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!

Bring on the 76er's, let's see if these guys woke up during this week of practice and start to look a little like what we expect they might be.

Hope all is well with you. How are the kids doing? Marcus must be knee deep in his new job, huh?

Off to NYC with the "girls" for part of next week. Almost the same time as last year, sitting in a theatre getting a text about Gordon and getting sick!!! Here's hoping this year is much better for all.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:14 pm

No surprise he rejected that amount.  

There are a lot if teams with PG needs and cap space.  Unless a team comes calling with an attractive offer I think Danny wil keep Rozier this season.

I hope he has a great year but a healthy Kyrie will impact his MPG.  

This should be a very exciting season.
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Yesterday at 12:50 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Me too Beat. As my Mom said  IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!

Bring on the 76er's, let's see if these guys woke up during this week of practice and start to look a little like what we expect they might be.

Hope all is well with you. How are the kids doing? Marcus must be knee deep in his new job, huh?  

Off to NYC with the "girls" for part of next week. Almost the same time as last year, sitting in a theatre getting a text about Gordon and getting sick!!! Here's hoping this year is much better for all.

Rosalie

Kids are busy as am I, subbing in school a lot.  Marcus’s season is just beginning and they should do well.   He’s putting in 12 hour days right now too.

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down