POST GAME OKC - AWAY

Go down

POST GAME OKC - AWAY

Post by 112288 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:52 pm

Celtics Wrap: Boston Erases 16-Point Deficit To Top Thunder 101-95

NESN by Joshua Schrock on Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 10:44PM

Sometimes all you need is one good half. The Boston Celtics were dreadful during the first half at Chesapeake Energy Arena on Thursday, scoring 37 points and going 0-for-12 from 3-point range to trail the Oklahoma City Thunder 50-34 at the half. But the C’s stormed back in the second half. Boston hit nine triples and poured in 40 points in the third quarter to take a slim lead. After the Thunder regained the lead with a minute left in the fourth, Kyrie Irving drove into the lane and finished to tie the game at 95, and Marcus Morris drilled a 3-pointer with 27.9 seconds remaining to give the C’s a 3-point lead. Boston would hold on to win 101-95. Jayson Tatum (24 points), Morris (21 points), Al Horford (19 points) and Irving (15 points ) each scored in double figures for the Green, while Paul George (22 points) and Russell Westbrook (13 points) led the Thunder. With the win, the Celtics improve to 3-2, while the Thunder fall to 0-4. Here’s how it all went down.

STARTING FIVE PG: Kyrie Irving SG: Jaylen Brown F: Jayson Tatum F: Gordon Hayward C: Al Horford

SLUGGISH START Boston struggled out of the gate, as the Thunder jumped out to an 11-2 lead after 2 1/2 minutes which caused Brad Stevens to call a timeout. The timeout didn’t do the C’s much good, as OKC grew their lead to 19-6 thanks to a mini-spurt from Westbrook. Horford answered Westbrook’s buckets with two of his own, cutting the lead to 19-10 with three minutes to play in the stanza. The two sides traded buckets to end the quarter, as Tatum threw down a monster dunk to cut the lead to four, but Dennis Schroder answered with a jumper at the horn to give OKC a 22-16 lead. Both teams were brutal from long range in the first, as the Celtics shot 0-for-5 from 3-point range and the Thunder hit 1 of 4. George led all scorers with nine, while Horford paced Boston with six.

MORE OF THE SAME OKC’s second unit thoroughly outplayed Boston’s bench to open the second quarter. Nerlens Noel, Hamidou Diallo and Schroder took turns putting the ball through the cylinder early in the frame to extend the lead to 37-27 halfway through the period. The Thunder continued to assert their will in the second. George knocked down a 14-footer and Westbrook found Steven Adams for an alley-oop to grow the lead to 14 and cause Boston to take a timeout with 5:11 left in the half. Boston was unable to claw its way back before halftime, as a Schroder 3-pointer and Terrance Ferguson layup in the final minute gave OKC a 50-34 lead at the break. The C’s continued to struggle from 3-point range, ending the half going 0-for-12 from distance. Tatum had a big second for the Celtics, scoring nine points to give him 13 in the half to lead Boston. George continued to be the high man for the Thunder with 13.

BREAK THE SEAL The Celtics finally started seeing the ball go through the rim in the third quarter. Hayward knocked down a 3-pointer to open the frame and Irving hit two triples of his own as the C’s scored 13 points in the opening four minutes to cut OKC’s lead to 58-47. After a Tatum triple and free throws by Brown and Irving trimmed the lead to eight, George answered with a triple and Westbrook splashed a two to put the lead back to 13. Boston came right back, though, as Horford three straight triples to make it 70-64. After Morris hit back-to-back 3-pointers to cut the lead to two, Rozier swiped the ball from Diallo and finished at the other end to tie it at 72. A Morris layup gave the Celtics a 74-73 lead after three quarters. Boston hit nine triples in the period and outscored OKC 40-23. George was the leading scorer after three quarters with 20 points, while the Celtics were led by Tatum’s 18.

FINISHING MOVE With OKC’s lead at three with a little over five minutes to play, Alex Abrines knocked down back-to-back 3-pointers and George added two free throws to give the Thunder a 94-85 lead with 4:14 to play. With the lead at five, Irving splashed a jumper and Tatum followed with two free throws to cut the lead to 94-93 with 2:34 to play. After an Adams free throw made it a two-point game, Irving took Abrines off the bounce to tie the game at 95. After a Stevens timeout, Horford found Morris for a 3-pointer on the wing to give Boston a 98-95 lead with 27.9 seconds left.

PLAY OF THE GAME Banner night for J-Smooth.

UP NEXT The Celtics will take the court Saturday against the Detroit Pistons. Tip-off from Little Caesar’s Arena is set for 7 p.m. ET.

Back to top Go down

Re: POST GAME OKC - AWAY

Post by 112288 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:52 pm

GO RED SOX!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:23 pm

Was looking at early scores from last season and Boston went on that tremendous run

They played great defense. They are playing great defense again and the offense will come.

dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:22 am

A few observations: Marcus Morris has his faults, but he is a straight out assassin. No conscience , and that's a good thing. I have seen nothing to indicate that he is anything but an exemplary teammate , by the way, contrary to the expectations of some. It's important to remember that ,while Kyrie is a little rusty, Hayward had never played with any of these guys at all, in a regular season game, unless you count  the minute or two he played against the Cavs before going down injured. His role on this team  will be quite different than in Utah, and he's searching for it now. Baynes is missed and sooner or later Robert Williams will have to become a factor ( probably later.) A guy like Adams can overpower Horford with his  strength and is lengthier and more athletic than Baynes. We saw the Al Horford spectrum tonight, overpowered and even outrun in the first half, dominant for stretches in the second. His value is in his skills, not his athleticism. Hitting those three treys in a row completely turned the  game around. I realllly didn't want to see this tean sink below 500. Neither did they, thankfully.
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:23 am

I was able to follow the Game On! thread through 5 minutes left in the 2nd (I am not a night owl like Berlin). Considering how awful our shooting was I am ecstatic with the final score.

I agree with Dboss, the offense will come, Kyrie and Gordon are natural scorers and nature always prevails, but our defense is already there.

Morris started 0-3 and ended up 5-10.  Tatum got pulled early because he was cold and then came back in hot.  

I read the final few pages of the Game On! thread this morning, to see the win through their eyes.  I mostly agree with something Cowens said, "I hate This era but it's all about who hits the 3s".  I don't hate This era because there aren't the epic Battles of the Behemoths underneath (although I do miss them!), it's the one-on-one schoolyard play.  Pop saved the league, as far as I am concerned, with his emphasis on team play and ball movement.  Kerr has phenomenal shooters and makes good use of them but Brad could be the new Pop.  Don't forget, Pop was blessed with Robinson and Duncan but their dominance inside was enabled by 3pt shooters like Sean Elliott and Manu Ginobili spreading the floor. Work hard, young Robert Williams.  You are on a team with a lot of excellent young shooters and a coach who knows how to use them and, in doing that, enable your inside game.

This will only get better.  Jaylen will find his rhythm and Kyrie and Gordon will too.  we came from 16 down to beat a good team in their building with two struggling All-Stars and no All-of-Australia to match up with All-of-New Zealand. This is us at our worst, not our best.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:01 am

jrleftfoot wrote:A few observations: Marcus Morris has his faults, but he is a straight out assassin. No conscience , and that's a good thing. I have seen nothing to indicate that he is anything but an exemplary teammate , by the way, contrary to the expectations of some. It's important to remember that ,while Kyrie is a little rusty, Hayward had never played with any of these guys at all, in a regular season game, unless you count  the minute or two he played against the Cavs before going down injured. His role on this team  will be quite different than in Utah, and he's searching for it now. Baynes is missed and sooner or later Robert Williams will have to become a factor ( probably later.) A guy like Adams can overpower Horford with his  strength and is lengthier and more athletic than Baynes. We saw the Al Horford spectrum tonight, overpowered and even outrun in the first half, dominant for stretches in the second. His value is in his skills, not his athleticism. Hitting those three treys in a row completely turned the  game around. I realllly didn't want to see this tean sink below 500. Neither did they, thankfully.

JR,

"The Al Horford Spectrum" . Excellent. That really sums up Al's versatility in a beautifully literate way. Poetry, here on our sports board.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:55 am

Actually, just one good quarter out of the Warriors play book...the 3rd!!

Game Ball(s) go to

(1) Al Horford for the initial string of 3's in the 3rd
(2) WHATEVER was said in the locker room at halftime
(3) M-Squared for a flat out fantastic performance
(4) Prevailing Defense...it is ALWAYS the difference maker

The league will continue to jack up all these threes early on until they all start losing. The one of the main reasons scoring is up is because of the shot clock being reset to just 14 seconds after the offensive rebound. It essentially adds "seconds", which leads to "more" minutes and possessions in a game. More minutes means more shots, more possessions, more scoring, etc. Celtics need to stay the course and average around 100 points/game and play exceptional defense..with that we will broom GSW in the finals. Scoring should be up, but these levels are unsustainable.

db
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:03 am

From the Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due Department:

I'd long criticized MM last year. No more. The guy is a warrior. Great game Marcus.
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:24 am

Hi,
A few observations.
The Celtics' defense is starting to look good. They managed to contain, for the most part, such scorers as Westbrook and George.
GH and JB seemed to be lost, couldn't throw ball in the ocean. Hope they'll come out of this funk in the next game or two.
We dearly missed Baynes - to battle brutes like Adams.
Marv Albert has to retire. The last few game he announced, I noticed that he's blubbering some nonsense, mistakes players' names and teams they play on. I'd say his mental capacities are diminishing.
Coach Brad got a rare T after KI got clobbered right in front of him with no foul.
I hope this game was an indication of Celtics getting into the groove.

AK
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:24 am

Next 3 games are home and away vs. Detroit and the Bucks. Are we going 3-0, 2-1, 1-2 or 0-3? Tough stretch against undefeateds but where we will find out a whole lot about this team early if the OKC momentum stays in place Place your bets!

db
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:30 am

GH is showing some savvy rebounding and passing. His shot will start to fall. I like his quickness and court awareness. Jaylen is in a funk but he will emerge from his cocoon and butterfly above the rim once more.
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:58 pm

OKC had every reason to play hard.  They went into the game 0-3 and are now 0-4.  That is the worse start for them since they were the Supersonics in Seattle, (according to the announcers)  They are no longer a good team.

TNT had the feed last night so I was once again treated to the mindless ramblings of Shaq, Kenny and Charles.  

After Boston fell behind in the first half 50-34 the idiot Barkley declared that all Boston players have to have the ball in order to score.  He went on to declare that Toronto is the best team in the East followed by the Bucks.  5 damn games into the season and he is ready to predict a winner.

Last night should have reminded us of who the Celtics are.  Playing tough defense is a constant in their formula for success.  Defense is a big part of their Team DNA.  Other observations already mentioned...

Marcus Morris can flat out score!  When you have rotation guys that can carry your team offensively you are going to win a lot of games.

Al Horford was clearly the spark that set this team off.  The trifecta of 3 point shots blew the cap off of the rim.

Tatum posterizing Paul George on the fast break was a wow moment.

Brad used Semi a little in his small ball rotation and he brings a real defensive mindset to the game.

Overall the offense is still struggling to find its' range but as I have stated many times, the offense will come around.  

Hope we get Baynes back by tomorrow night so he can bang with his former teammate Drummond.  Strange schedule having to play Detroit on Saturday on the road and then back in Boston on Tuesday.

The Celtics play a pretty challenging schedule after that with the Bucks coming in on Thursday followed by the first extended 5 game road trip at Indy, Denver, Phoenix, Utah and Portland.  Phoenix and Utah are B2B games.

The Celtics will play 15 out of their first 25 game on the road.  This is where the depth of our roster will make a difference.
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:01 pm

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:13 pm

I almost feel sorry for Westbrook whether it is his fault/personality or management's. Great player. Fiercely motivated. Durant leaving really took the wind out of the sails at OKC. Couple that with Durant's two titles, probably three. That has to be eating at him. Now Russell is left with this flaming bag o' poo that is OKC. He might start getting desperate and go chasing a title. That never ends pretty...unless you're Durant of course!

db
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:34 pm

Tom Westerholm
Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday
Stevens on Jaylen Brown’s struggles: “Keep guarding. Everything will work itself out. He’ll be fine.”

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:02 pm

dbrown4 wrote:I almost feel sorry for Westbrook whether it is his fault/personality or management's.  Great player.  Fiercely motivated.  Durant leaving really took the wind out of the sails at OKC.  Couple that with Durant's two titles, probably three.  That has to be eating at him.  Now Russell is left with this flaming bag o' poo that is OKC.  He might start getting desperate and go chasing a title.  That never ends pretty...unless you're Durant of course!

db  

The operative word is almost. Pretty hard to feel sorry for a guy that signed a big contract and is a stat chaser.

dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:34 pm

bobheckler wrote:Tom Westerholm
Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday
Stevens on Jaylen Brown’s struggles: “Keep guarding. Everything will work itself out. He’ll be fine.”

Completely agree....said the same thing after the Orlando game

mrkleen09 wrote:
#2 -Jaylen needs to let effort and defense fuel his offense.  Too many times he misses a shot and that discouragement shows on the defensive end, where he gets burned for an easy basket.  He needs to get back to doing the opposite, let the energy of his D fuel his offense.  .
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:37 pm

bobheckler wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:A few observations: Marcus Morris has his faults, but he is a straight out assassin. No conscience , and that's a good thing. I have seen nothing to indicate that he is anything but an exemplary teammate , by the way, contrary to the expectations of some. It's important to remember that ,while Kyrie is a little rusty, Hayward had never played with any of these guys at all, in a regular season game, unless you count  the minute or two he played against the Cavs before going down injured. His role on this team  will be quite different than in Utah, and he's searching for it now. Baynes is missed and sooner or later Robert Williams will have to become a factor ( probably later.) A guy like Adams can overpower Horford with his  strength and is lengthier and more athletic than Baynes. We saw the Al Horford spectrum tonight, overpowered and even outrun in the first half, dominant for stretches in the second. His value is in his skills, not his athleticism. Hitting those three treys in a row completely turned the  game around. I realllly didn't want to see this tean sink below 500. Neither did they, thankfully.

JR,

"The Al Horford Spectrum" .  Excellent.  That really sums up Al's versatility in a beautifully literate way.  Poetry, here on our sports board.

bob

Thanks, Bob. I wouldn't go that far, but appreciate your kid words. That comeback was fun to watch.
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:38 pm

bobheckler wrote:Tom Westerholm
Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday

bob

Stevens is a treasure. Never loses his poise.
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:41 pm

dboss wrote:OKC had every reason to play hard.  They went into the game 0-3 and are now 0-4.  That is the worse start for them since they were the Supersonics in Seattle, (according to the announcers)  They are no longer a good team.

TNT had the feed last night so I was once again treated to the mindless ramblings of Shaq, Kenny and Charles.  

After Boston fell behind in the first half 50-34 the idiot Barkley declared that all Boston players have to have the ball in order to score.  He went on to declare that Toronto is the best team in the East followed by the Bucks.  5 damn games into the season and he is ready to predict a winner.

Last night should have reminded us of who the Celtics are.  Playing tough defense is a constant in their formula for success.  Defense is a big part of their Team DNA.  Other observations already mentioned...

Marcus Morris can flat out score!  When you have rotation guys that can carry your team offensively you are going to win a lot of games.

Al Horford was clearly the spark that set this team off.  The trifecta of 3 point shots blew the cap off of the rim.

Tatum posterizing Paul George on the fast break was a wow moment.

Brad used Semi a little in his small ball rotation and he brings a real defensive mindset to the game.

Overall the offense is still struggling to find its' range but as I have stated many times, the offense will come around.  

Hope we get Baynes back by tomorrow night so he can bang with his former teammate Drummond.  Strange schedule having to play Detroit on Saturday on the road and then back in Boston on Tuesday.

The Celtics play a pretty challenging schedule after that with the Bucks coming in on Thursday followed by the first extended 5 game road trip at Indy, Denver, Phoenix, Utah and Portland.  Phoenix and Utah are B2B games.

The Celtics will play 15 out of their first 25 game on the road.  This is where the depth of our roster will make a difference.
A fan tweeted " doesn't everybody need the ball to score." Those knuckleheads didn't appreciate it , but I found it spot on.
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down