dbrown4
RosalieTCeltics
swish
dboss
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

A Sam's Glimmers Thread, 2018-2019 Season Empty A Sam's Glimmers Thread, 2018-2019 Season

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:21 am

DBrown mentioned Sam's Glimmers on another thread.  I thought it would be a good idea to start one.

What Sam considered a "glimmer" wasn't a good game by a player or the team.  A glimmer was a positive trend viewed over a few games, like when the light finally comes on in a player's head and he now plays differently, or a couple of players develop some good 2-man chemistry or the team gets in a nice groove over a stretch of the season.  If someone remembers glimmers as being something else, speak up.  Otherwise let's go with this definition.

I'll start this thread with a glimmer I've noticed in the game highlight films and supported by stats:  Aron Baynes' 3pt shooting.  He has taken 8 3pt fgas in the 3 games, 45 total minutes, he has played so far.  He is hitting a very respectable 37.5%.  Last year he took a total of 21 3s in 1485 minutes and hit 14.3% (not a typo).  He has gone from averaging .3 3pt fgas/game last year to 2.7 3pt fgas/game, and he is averaging fewer mpg too.  Clearly he is comfortable taking them and Brad wants him to take them (especially if he continues to shoot almost 38%).

I posit that Baynes taking 9X as many 3s, and hitting a % that cannot be ignored, is a game changer.  Embiid, Valencunias and other centers will have to follow him out to the arc, vacating the paint for cutters and, between Kyrie and Rozier and Brown and Gordon, we have a lot of cutters.  Last year we saw games where Horford was taking 3s while Baynes battled down low.  Imagine, a high/low big man game with Horford being the low post guy and Baynes being on top.  That will give opposing coaches fits whether to switch or not.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

A Sam's Glimmers Thread, 2018-2019 Season Empty Re: A Sam's Glimmers Thread, 2018-2019 Season

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:37 am

Shit just saw this, otherwise I would have put my last post here....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

A Sam's Glimmers Thread, 2018-2019 Season Empty Re: A Sam's Glimmers Thread, 2018-2019 Season

Post by dboss Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:43 pm

Bob I like the idea of bringing back Sam's glimmer thread.

Not much of a glimmer in my opinion. Baynes is in his 7th year and has taken a total of 36 3 point shots in the regular season. Last year he took 21 3 point shots and shot poorly but in the playoffs he took 23 making 11 for a blistering .478.

These sample sizes are pretty small so I do not know if it is a trend. When teams recognize that he will take those shots they will change the way they cover him.

I would like him to be a better finisher at the rim. Sometimes he takes mindless shots in the paint and does not even look at the basket when he is shooting. I would like to see him be more physical on defense and knock people on their ass when they try to get to the rim. He only averaged 2.5 fouls per game last year. How about if you come to the rim I am going to hit you.

Anyways Baynes has played 3 games this year. There is no glimmer here at least not yet.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:15 pm

How about adding a little balance to the picture by presenting negative viewpoints. Let's hear both sides of the story. How about glimmers and GLOOM ?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:17 pm

swish wrote:How about adding a little balance to the picture by presenting negative viewpoints. Let's hear both sides of the story.  How about glimmers and GLOOM ?

swish

Actually both glitters and gloom are covered in our game on and after game threads, either way works for me....

We don’t miss a thing

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:58 pm

I think that the "glimmer" posts that Sam would post were a positive note. I tend to look ahead, not back. My glimmer from last night was the way that team played unselfishly, sharing the ball, making the right plays and just working together in general. That was missing before. I know you say that it should not be about one player or another, but last night, finally, Jaylen looked like himself. The job he did on Griffin was terrific, and he found his offense. The other player was Theis, who looks like he is rounding back into form. This can only make us better. So....I will use this as my glimmer.

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:27 pm

Here is mine from the This and That thread. Bob's account of its start is much more accurate than mine!

I believe Sam had a Glimmer Thread back in the glory days of 2008-10 where things were contributed over the season where we could look back on the season and hopefully from the perch of holding a trophy to where there was an inflection point for the team or a slight change in direction (good or bad but hopefully good). This thread looks like it could be a corollary to this. I'm going to submit to you what I think may be the first good glimmer being the body of work in the 3rd Quarter of the OKC game. Whatever it was, it shot off in DET.. Enough said.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:38 pm

Actually Sam's looked at trends. Glimmers of hope where a player or even a team related improvement was apparent and potentially impactfull.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:39 pm

dboss wrote:Actually Sam's looked at trends.  Glimmers of hope where a player or even a team related improvement was apparent and potentially impactfull.

GLimmers of hope are always good as morale boosters - but sometimes a good old fashion reality check can temper one's overall level of enthusiasm.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:55 pm

Glimmer, gloom ,whatever. My take is that, if Baynes continues to shoot them ,Al Horford will no longer have the ugliest shot among guys who regularly throw up treys.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:06 pm

The roster is stacked implying no need for glimmers. Guys are rusty and not flowing yet on same pages. There's been too much hot potato. They've been overthinking quite a bit to go with a lid on the rim. They take too many threes. That's on Brad Stevens, although the whole league is doing it. It's getting boring and predictable. Despite that negativity, if Baynes had played, the w-l record would be 5-1. Orlando is only 1-4 against all teams not named Boston.

It was looking bad for half of the Oklahoma game, but never let them see you sweat. If there needs to be some drama, then basically Horford turned around the season with three straight threes. Jaylen Brown is on a trajectory to the Hall of Fame based on the most recent important game. And Danny might want to sign Theis to one of those Jae Crowder packages asap. Back to Tommy and Kyle in the studio, etc..

Toronto is ultimately one bad break away from rebuilding. Maybe they are a true threat. Everyone not named Golden State has no right to trash talk just yet.

That being said, there are glimmer threads six games in? Okay, then Theis and Brown had great games. We are okay. We are in every game. The C's can't play any worse on offense and are dominating the league including Memphis for defense. Everything is on schedule for #18, probably this or next year or eventually. KG, Paul and Rondo got us #17 in their first year together. That'd be nice to happen this season. Why not? It sucked without Baynes, but if they are all healthy by the playoffs, let Toronto limp in with home court advantage. Philly is a poser team. Ainge is the story. Some of that was luck, but Danny is fifth dimensional chess or something beyond my scientific understanding for how any one roster can become so stacked. He has arguably a better situation than Golden State's.

My plan is to not sweat and enjoy the ride. No one wants to jinx what looks like a sure deal, mind blowing dynasty. Butler would ruin the budget and seems to be a miserable teammate. Brown is dirt cheap. He and Tatum are going to get Kyrie money soon. Irving is to get LeBron money. Wyc better empty all his pockets and pay up.

I am willing a Red Sox win by not paying attention. I am a pure Celtics fan.

I wonder about Kyrie. Is he truly worth $38 million? I like Rozier. Instead of losing Terry or Smart, what if they stay and Kyrie leaves? He needs more assists and less turnovers with better defense to deserve that? Might as well trade for Kevin Love and Carmelo Anthony at that point.

Worst case scenario Sully might be available for the playoff run.

To me, it is about neither glimmers nor predicting any one season. I am terrified overthinking how Danny might preserve or botch the chip pile. Hayward is currently damaged goods making big money. It's only two more years though after this one. That's not too bad. Maybe he makes it all the way back during this year and that is the plan. He's looked better.

The possibilities are endless for what could happen. It used to be Crowder and Bradley as cult status fixtures with Isaiah soon to get close to Brinks money. No one knows because he became damaged goods. What a nightmare. I feel bad for him although he might have jinxed himself with Brinks truck talk. Everything can change and quickly. I don't think the league wants any more dynasties like the 60's Celtics or Jordan's Bulls. Golden State cannot sustain utter dominance for much longer? I've seen some games where Durant has looked pedestrian. They are vulnerable, imho. I think they are overrated. I think they got lucky but Danny got luckier. Sooner or later Boston will become Golden State's daddy. That's my prediction. I think it'll be this or next year. Brown is almost ready and Tatum has another couple years of growth. Brown can keep adding things each summer like Avery did.

Only Danny Ainge can beat Danny Ainge at this point. It is fascinating to watch.

I say go all in with Tatum and Brown. Theis needs to get that Crowder deal. A big contract for Kyrie is going to be risky. Ugh on that one. I don't know.

A lot can happen. Maybe Horford can play well into his NBA old age and give us a hometown discount. Danny's job is to maintain the massive chip pile. I wouldn't have gone for Butler or Leonard either, like I'm afraid to keep Kyrie. I am watching his game closely this year.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:14 am

A Glimmers thread is a good idea, and Dick would have loved to know the idea got picked up by a couple of our board members.

As with the great majority of things in Dick's life, he liked the thread to be positive and hopeful. That's what a glimmer of hope is.

So glimmer away everyone. There is much to be positive about this season.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:25 pm

Exactly NY Celt....Sam would be happy we are continuing on in a positive way, talking about his beloved team. My biggest glimmer.....the smiles on
the faces of all the Celtic players, they truly like one
another. So.......this can only get better.

To you, my friend Dick.....we miss you more than you
can imagine. Here's to a great year with many glimmers
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:52 pm

There is a glimmer that seems obvious to me. The Piston game revealed a greater willingness and commitment to sharing the ball. While there was some iso one on one activity, the vast majority of offensive possessions included a lot of ball movement where guys were passing up shots to get their teammates better shots.

ISO basketball is indeed an ingredient of what makes this team great and guys can and will score the ball in these situations. Ball movement however reflects a very high adherence to the fundamentals of offensive basketball and rarely results in a negative outcome.

The Glimmer is 'Great ball movement'
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:28 pm

I think Kyrie is worth whatever they are paying him , phil, because of the attention he demands. As far as GS being vulnerable, meh. They are still the best team in the Association until someone proves otherwise. I agree that the current brand of trey and dunk basketball is boring from a fan' s perspective, as is the extreme infield shift, home run or strike out baseball mentality, but , guess what, in this computer age, they have fed in the variables ,and shooting threes ( and making them) has been adjudged the best way to win games.Don't expect that to change any time soon. It is amazing , though , that Al Horford can knock them down so often with such a low " launch angle." Thought I'd throw in one of those stat guru baseball terms.BTW, haven't seen you posting recently. Good to read your thoughts.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:11 pm

Didn't Dick start the glimmer thread in our abysmal 2006-7 season when Rondo was just getting his feet wet and Delonte was denying him the ball?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:11 pm

worcester wrote:Didn't Dick start the glimmer thread in our abysmal 2006-7 season when Rondo was just getting his feet wet and Delonte was denying him the ball?

Worcester, Sam started the original thread in 2010. I found it and have brought it forward. He mentioned that he christened the thread.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down