Contract decision coming on Yabusele

+3
wideclyde
dboss
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Should the Celtics Pick Up Yabusele's Option?

Contract decision coming on Yabusele Vote_lcap64%Contract decision coming on Yabusele Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 7 ]
Contract decision coming on Yabusele Vote_lcap36%Contract decision coming on Yabusele Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 4 ]
Contract decision coming on Yabusele Vote_lcap0%Contract decision coming on Yabusele Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 11

Contract decision coming on Yabusele Empty Contract decision coming on Yabusele

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:21 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2018/10/celtics_notebook_contract_decision_coming_on_yabusele

Celtics notebook: Contract decision coming on Yabusele

Steve Bulpett Sunday, October 28, 2018

UP IN THE AIR: The Celtics will soon have to make a contract decision on forward Guerschon Yabusele.

DETROIT -- The Celtics have until Wednesday to make decisions on three players’ futures. Two are dead-lock certainties. One is not.

While the club will clearly be exercising their 2019-20 options on Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown, the call on Guerschon Yabusele is more complicated.

Tatum will get his third-year slot of $7,830,000 next season and Brown will get his fourth-year number, $6,534,829. The Celtics aren’t letting either get out of their sight.

And even though Yabusele’s third-year guarantee would be for a relatively modest $3,117,240, the real dollars are much greater. The club would be committing more than double that because of the luxury tax implications. And at present, Yabusele isn’t part of the main rotation and doesn’t figure to get there without injuries or roster moves that open playing time.

It’s possible the Celts could decline the option and sign Yabusele to a more team-friendly deal next summer. But if the C’s pass now, the Dancing Bear will be an unrestricted free agent -- and if he shows something this season, he could be wanted elsewhere. What’s more, if there is demand, Boston would be able to start a new deal at an amount no higher than what it declined.

If the option is picked up, the process will play out again at this time next season, when a call will have to be made on $4,781,846 for 2020-21.

Yabusele has thus far heard nothing from the club on the current option, and it’s a fair bet the brass will have to sit down in the next couple of days to discuss the Celts’ longer-term financial picture. With Kyrie Irving definitely opting out to sign a much bigger deal next summer (assuming he follows through on his stated plan) and Al Horford also eligible to re-do his deal, the C’s will be going deep into the luxury tax. Yabusele could be a casualty.

But he’s not concerning himself with that just now.

“I would love to be back here with the team,” Yabusele said. “The Celtics are a great organization, so if I have a chance to be back here, I would love to do that.”

Baynes out again

Aron Baynes missed his third straight game with a strained right hamstring suffered last Saturday in New York. There was some hope he could go against the Pistons here last night, but the center didn’t even take part in the team’s morning workout.

“I think that’s being conservative, especially with two days coming, so that he can hopefully practice Monday and then be ready to go Tuesday,” said Brad Stevens, referencing the rematch with the Pistons at the Garden. “I think that’s a good move.

“I don’t get in the middle of the talks with the training staff and the players with regard to availability. But if Baynes had a broken leg, he’d want to play. That’s just Baynes.”

A little too late

Stevens made it through nine innings of Red Sox-Dodgers World Series Game 3, but not much longer. He missed the end of the Sox’ 3-2 18-inning loss.

“I set my alarm because I was concerned,” he said. “I went to sleep at a more reasonable hour than 3:30. I was concerned I would stay up and it would end like it did. I would have been so mad. But that was a great baseball game, at least the part that I watched.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Contract decision coming on Yabusele Empty Re: Contract decision coming on Yabusele

Post by dboss Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:13 pm

This one seems like a no brainer to me. He was the the 16th pick in the 2016 draft and this is just the beginning of year two for him.

Too soon to really judge his value on the court or as a trade asset. But Danny has no good reason not to pick up his option for one more year.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Contract decision coming on Yabusele Empty Re: Contract decision coming on Yabusele

Post by dboss Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:47 pm

Danny could also choose to let him hit free agency and maybe decide then.

Now that Williams is on the team Yabu may find it hard to find minutes but an injury here or there to one of our bigs could change how much he plays.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:42 pm

I have to disagree with Dboss, but at this time I can really see no reason to do anything with extending Yabusele right now.

So far he has not even come close to earning a spot at the bottom of the Cs rotation in two plus years after being drafted.  He may be slightly improved this year, but still is not in the rotation.  

He may just not have the "it" necessary to be an NBA player.  And, with the salary cap issues the Cs have (and will have) there is no point of paying this guy even more than he is getting right now for unproven performance.

If Ainge did not re-up either Smart or Rozier at the same time in their early years he would be very unlikely to agree to more years with Yabusele.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:45 pm

wideclyde wrote:I have to disagree with Dboss, but at this time I can really see no reason to do anything with extending Yabusele right now.

So far he has not even come close to earning a spot at the bottom of the Cs rotation in two plus years after being drafted.  He may be slightly improved this year, but still is not in the rotation.  

He may just not have the "it" necessary to be an NBA player.  And, with the salary cap issues the Cs have (and will have) there is no point of paying this guy even more than he is getting right now for unproven performance.

If Ainge did not re-up either Smart or Rozier at the same time in their early years he would be very unlikely to agree to more years with Yabusele.

I fail to comprehend your disagreement.  I think we are more in agreement than you think.  I have taken both sides of the argument (1) sign him or (2)  wait and let him hit FA.  I cannot possibly be wrong since I have taken contrary views on the subject as I do quite often on everything.  (because I am never absolutely certain about these matters)
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:47 pm

I like Guerschon, nice kid. Does seem to have gotten better, but not enough to crack the top 10 or even 12. I would say - worry about him next summer. No need to plug up your cap with 7 million for him.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:40 am

Yabusle's salary for next season is only a bit over $3M according to the article above...not $7M.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:00 am

kdp59 wrote:Yabusle's salary for next season is only a bit over $3M according to the article above...not $7M.

Tax penalties will add to the cost for the team up to 7 million
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:26 am

Matty wrote:
kdp59 wrote:Yabusle's salary for next season is only a bit over $3M according to the article above...not $7M.

Tax penalties  will add to the cost for  the team  up to 7 million

Exactly. Was clearly stated in the article - which was my point.

And even though Yabusele’s third-year guarantee would be for a relatively modest $3,117,240, the real dollars are much greater. The club would be committing more than double that because of the luxury tax implications.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:35 am

He seems like another Big Baby or Sully who will not be able to keep off the weight. It's nice to have all sorts of different players, but I'm not too confident in his skills. Not everyone can make it in the NBA.

He is in the RJ Hunter/James Young hot seat. Robert Williams and Semi Ojeleye as projects seem to have legit skills in comparison. The C's are too close to winning multiple titles to waste time on scrubs with little upside. Yabs seems to be a nice, fun guy but clearly on the bubble and running out of NBA time.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down