bobheckler
worcester
8 posters

Go down

POST GAME DETROIT - HOME Empty POST GAME DETROIT - HOME

Post by 112288 Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Celtics Wrap: Boston Wins Third Straight, Beats Pistons 108-105

NESN by Logan Mullen on Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 10:05PM

The Celtics are starting to settle into a groove. Boston won its third straight game Tuesday night, beating the Detroit Pistons 108-105 at TD Garden. It was an even affair in the first half, but the Celtics took control by outscoring the Pistons 25-13 in the third quarter and preserved the lead the rest of the way, despite a late comeback from Detroit. Kyrie Irving led the Celtics with 31 points. Jayson Tatum (16), Marcus Morris (15) and Jaylen Brown (14) also tallied double figures for Boston. Blake Griffin led Detroit with 24 points and was one of five Pistons in double figures. With the win, the Celtics climb to 5-2, while the Pistons fall to 4-2. Here’s how it all went down:

STARTING FIVE PG: Kyrie Irving SG: Jaylen Brown F: Jayson Tatum F: Gordon Hayward C: Al Horford

BUSY FIRST The Celtics finished the first period leading 31-28 in what was a helter-skelter 12 minutes. During parts of the middle stages, both teams struggled to establish their offense, with turnovers (four for each team in the period) and missed attempts with plenty of time on the shot clock resulting in a lot of upbeat transition play. At one point Boston led by eight, but the Pistons kept creating chances on the offensive end and defending well enough on defense. The Celtics got nice contributions from its bench, as the reserve unit tallied 16 points with Aron Baynes leading all players with nine first-quarter points.

PISTONS GET AHEAD It was mostly level-pegging again in the second, as the Pistons outscored the Celtics 30-25 and took a 58-56 lead into the break. The Celtics opened their lead up to seven points three-and-a-half minutes in, but Detroit chipped away and tied the game at 5:14 before taking their first lead of the game since early in the first quarter 31 seconds later. From there, both sides kept trading chances until Reggie Jackson drilled a 29-foot trey to put the Pistons ahead just before the halftime buzzer. Boston shot 48.8-percent (20-for-41) from the field in the opening pair of quarters. Irving, Griffin and Drummond all had 12 points through 24 minutes.

C’S START ROLLING After a tight first half, the Celtics really started to settle into a rhythm in the third, outscoring the Pistons 25-13 to give themselves an 81-71 lead heading into the final frame. Trailing by two early in the stanza, Boston ripped off a 10-0 run over 2:43, putting going ahead 68-60 with 6:20 left. The Celtics then really started to grab control. Boston took their biggest lead of the game to that point (12) with 2:52 left in the frame thanks to a 3-pointer from Irving with 2:52 left in the frame. The trey was the final one for Irving in a run over 96 seconds that saw him knock down three shots from distance. Irving had a game-high 13 points in the quarter while also leading players with 25 points through three periods.

CELTICS FIGHT OFF COMEBACK The Pistons made things interesting in the fourth, as they outscored Boston 28-22, but the Celtics did enough to hold on to the victory. Detroit was able to mount a comeback when Boston went into a dreadful offensive drought, unable to hit a field goal for 6:34 starting at the 10:41 mark. In that time the C’s hit five free throws, but it allowed the Pistons to get back in the game. It took the visitors a little bit of time to get going on the offensive end as well, but a 10-2 run in the midpoint of the quarter cut Boston’s 88-79 lead to 90-89. With the Celtics leading 101-99 with 15 seconds left, Morris hit a pair of free throws to up the lead to four. Ish Smith responded with a 3-pointer to cut the lead to one with 11 seconds left, but Tatum knocked down a pair of free throws to bring the lead up to three. The Pistons’ responding inbound pass went wide, with Marcus Smart beating Smith to the ball on a dive. He sent it to Irving, who was fouled and proceeded to hit two free throws to extend the lead to five. Reggie Bullock splashed a 3-pointer to narrow Boston’s advantage back to two with 0.4 to play, but Tatum put the game away by hitting a free throw.

UP NEXT The Celtics will remain at home for a Thursday night matchup with the Milwaukee Bucks. Tip-off from TD Garden is set for 8 p.m.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME DETROIT - HOME Empty Re: POST GAME DETROIT - HOME

Post by worcester Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:48 pm

This is becoming a very good Celtics team. Irving really stepped up this game. Jaylen last. Tatum and Morris the game before. There will be a carousel of greatness this year, with egos checked at the door.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:12 am

Jaylen, 1-6 at halftime, 6-13 overall. That's a 5-7 second half.

Rozier's numbers are comparable to last season's, which he played mostly off the bench. Not showing that step up we all expected. Trade him to a team who sees him as a starter? Teams will pay more for a player they see as one of their starters but we see as a bench player.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:37 am

Not a bad thought, BobH. Someone is going to pay for him.

Nice game. DET didn't look too bad either. That Drummond/Griffin combo plus "Ish" Smith bombing in all those threes, they are a tough out. Still not going to go far in the playoffs but if they keep it together, they can make things difficult.

My game ball goes to....

Busy Hands On Offense and Defense

Every possession on offense the ball was being passed around crisply and efficiently. Players weren't standing around. On defense, hands were up and knocking down balls, closing passing lanes, creating turnovers. The only problem was the refs blowing the whistle EVERY 3 seconds!! WTH!! Continuity be damned!! I'm hoping teams will figure things out and settle in to the new points of emphasis, because right now it's painful to watch. No flow at all.

Did there used to be a stat that measured points off offensive rebounds or do we just have to create that on our own during the game? I know there is a Points Off Turnovers stat. For Boston, this equates to 1 point per turnover (17/17 in this game) I'm guessing that if your team is shooting 50%, the Points Off Offensive Reb would be about 1 point per rebound as well. Free Throws come in at .75 points per shot. All add to the bottom line. This was a very even game for the most part. Celtics did pull away and didn't relinquish the lead at the end.

Now bring on The Freak!! Thursday will bring the last team in the league with an undefeated record to an end. My only concern is early on is our team seems to play better on the road than at home. Games at home are closer than they should be.

db

dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:31 am

Funny to notice the Marcus Morris' darn near had a double/double yet his +/- was 0!! Hilarious!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:23 am

Couple of lapses and Detroit played a lot better, but overall another step in the right direction.

-Baynes is very important to the team defense, particularly against teams with big centers.
-Brad had Morris on the court in crunch time, because he was big enough to deal with Griffin and Drumond and their switching - if the egos on this team stay in check, they can be very very good.

All due respect to Bob - there is no way in hell they should trade Terry Rozier at this point. They will need all the help they can get over the course of a long season. All in for a run this year.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:44 am

Think of what Rozier has been through.  Off the bench all year last season until Kyrie goes down, his stock price goes through the roof as he gets us 7 minutes form the finals doing a VERY good Kyrie imitation to now coming off the bench again.  Has his time on the court changesd/increased year over year at this point?  I would imagine Brad would have him out more now than he did last year at this time as a reward for what he did in the playoffs, in my humble but accurate opinion of course!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:10 am

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:20 am

Good to see us in a grind out game where we needed to make plays both ends to pull it out. Some bad calls, but great to see Jaylen and Kyrie hitting big shots down the stretch. Morris much better this year, we can still amp it up much more.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:05 pm

The Celtics won the second game against the Pistons.  This was a tough game because the Pistons do have talent and after being blown out by 20 you just knew they would play much better.

The Celtics helped them because in the 2nd QTR they started walking the ball up the floor  and I mentioned during the game on thread that the pace was too slow.  In the 3rd they played with more tempo.  In the end Boston only put up 84 shots to 88 for Detroit.

The Celtics love affair with the 3 point shot continued as does their inability to justify the volume.  They shot 9-31 for 29%.  There was a sequence in the 2nd half where Boston must have thrown up 3 or 4 3 pointers and missed all of them even though there appeared to be open space to drive the ball.

There were also a few lapses on defense when Griffin was isolated on a smaller guy.  The Celtics at times could not decide when or where to bring the double team.

The game ball goes to Kyrie Irving.  Not just because he scored 31 points but the timeliness of his shots were needed to stem a Detroit run and keep them at arms length.  I guess the haircut did the trick.

I know we had some fun last year with Marcus Morris but truth be told he is a very solid two way player.  He was a starter in Detroit and has adjusted well to coming off the bench as a rotation player.  A lot of players do not have the mental capacity to do that.  Now Brad is using him in closeout situation as a primetime shot maker.

Jaylen started off poorly on offense but in the 2nd half he became ultra aggressive.  Have you noticed that his handle is definitely stronger?  That could be a glimmer.

Baynes hit another 3 pointer.  Bob sees it as a glimmer.  I disagree but I could be wrong.  

Marcus Smart  only scored 3 points but as always he brought  defense to the court.  His steal at the end of the game disrupted a possession by Detroit and pretty much sealed the deal for Boston.  Marcus Smart is the guy.  He is the guy that will check anybody no matter how big or small or tall or fast.  He just continues to make play after play.

Hayward remains on a minutes restriction as he continues to work his way back from his injury last year.

I agree with Kleen 100% on Rozier.  I think we need him for a championship run.  At the same time we just do not know what Danny is thinking at this time.  If some team needs a PG come February and are willing to part with a first round pick Danny may opt to move him.  If they did that Smart would play more and maybe Wannamaker would get in the mix.  Also with both Hayward and Tatum able to run the offense they could possibly work around losing Rozier.  The key of course is that Kyrie Irving is healthy so that you only need a BU at the point and not a full time starter.

Terry's MPG last year before Kyrie went down was around 24 and is is slightly under that amount now.

Bob as far as not showing the step up.  What do you mean by that.  Terry is shooting 40% from deep 87.5 from the line and is averaging 4 rebounds and 2.1 assists.  He rarely turns the ball over (0.04 per game)

Overall at 5-2 Boston is in great shape
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:41 pm

bobheckler wrote:Jaylen, 1-6 at halftime, 6-13 overall.  That's a 5-7 second half.

Rozier's numbers are comparable to last season's, which he played mostly off the bench.  Not showing that step up we all expected.  Trade him to a team who sees him as a starter?  Teams will pay more for a player they see as one of their starters but we see as a bench player.  

bob

Bob,

I'd keep Rozier. Good to have a second point guard capable of starting, and he's currently among the top rated defensive players. Number 1 defensive rating at one point recently, I think. I also see him as insurance in case Kyrie departs. I'm not counting on Uncle Drew's staying in Boston comments until there's a signature on a contract.

Hope the travels are going well.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down