Next Up - The Bucks

Go down

Next Up - The Bucks

Post by dboss on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:01 pm

The Bucks' lofty 7-0 start includes 5 home games but only 2 on the road.  Last year they played under .500 on the road. But this is not the same team that we faced last year.  The android Brook Lopez came over from LAL and gives them a legit center but not the way you might think.  Lopez is averaging a career high in 3P FGA at 6.3 and is shooting .386 on them.  That helps them stretch the floor.  The bad thing is that Lopez is only averaging 2.7 rebounds which is well below his career average.

The other major change is that they are staring 2 PG's in the backcourt with Bledsoe and Malcolm Brogdon.  

The much traveled Ersan Ilyasova is in the rotation.  Their two main guys are Khris Middleton, the purest of pure shooters and the freak who still cannot make a jumpshot or a free throw.

What you have here is two star players surrounded by a collection of complimentary players.  And you have a coach that has done an excellent job utilizing his talent.

Lot of high flying teams putting up big points but at least the Bucks play defense.

With respect to 3 point shooting the Buck are right there with all the high volume teams.  They put up 40 per game and are connecting on .384%

The Celtics have their work cut out for them.  Our  defense needs check them on the perimeter.  The Celtics need to limit their open looks.   The biggest task will be slowing down the freak.  No one guy is going to be able to keep him away from the rim.  That is where he scores a lot of buckets but he is also turnover prone (5 per game)  The Celtics really need to get back on defense because the freak is at his best in the open court.

I really like the Celtics chances in this game. The Celtics should be able dominate them on the wings and in the backcourt.
dboss

Back to top Go down

Re: Next Up - The Bucks

Post by dbrown4 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:14 pm

Same here, dboss, on our chances. I watched the TOR v. MIL game and while MIL looked good overall, I didn't see anything that we should be too scared of, with or without The Freak. They will be waiting for us somewhere in Playoffville, probably deep into it.

We need a home blow out win. That would complete this three game set against the "top" teams. MIL looks ripe for the shellacking!

db
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:26 pm

Not the same team but I expect the same result from last year. Not so sure it will be a blowout because the Bucks do in fact put a lot of points on the board.

dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:26 am

Will The Freak be on the court tonight?

db
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:01 am

dbrown4 wrote:Will The Freak be on the court tonight?  

db

Yes.
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:25 pm

Budenholzer's arrival in Milwaukee has changed the way they play on offense.

They spread the floor and 45% of their shots are 3 pointers.
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:12 pm

What we are likely to see tonight is a Bucks team that stretches the floor with Lopez at the 5 out on the perimeter and space underneath for the freak to work his magic.

Down the road The Celtics will be able to put a guy like Williams on the freak and focus on closing out the perimeter shooters. This will not be happening anytime soon although Brad could surprise us tonight.

Look for the Celtics to give multiple players a shot at the freak just to change things up. My guess is that AH will off with that assignment. If the Android stays on the perimeter one of our wings can go out and check him. If they make an adjustment to post him up than Baynes will be the guy to handle that.

Their style has worked well but they have yet to play a team that can actually shut teams down from scoring on the perimeter.

Lopez is playing around 26 MPG and Ersan Ilyasova is 6th on the team in MPG.

This should be a really good chess match where each coach will have to adjust and players will have to execute those adjustments.

Go Celts!

dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Jaylen Brown is questionable for tonight's game.

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:28 pm

most important game of the season
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:49 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:most important game of the season

Until the next one . . . . . . . . .

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:58 pm

gyso wrote:Jaylen Brown is questionable for tonight's game.  

Thank goodness for depth.
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:15 pm

dboss wrote:
gyso wrote:Jaylen Brown is questionable for tonight's game.  

Thank goodness for depth.  

Laughing
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:17 pm

Let's not forget in the playoffs, teams only use 7-8 players.

If depth is the basis for being a great team, Toronto should have been in the Finals last season.

Toronto was 10-deep last season.
But they couldn't even win one game against Lebron and the Cavs.
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:46 pm

fierce wrote:Let's not forget in the playoffs, teams only use 7-8 players.

If depth is the basis for being a great team, Toronto should have been in the Finals last season.

Toronto was 10-deep last season.
But they couldn't even win one game against Lebron and the Cavs.

fierce your example of Toronto being 10 deep and losing 4 straight to the Raptors actually supports my argument about having quality depth on the team.

Last year during the playoffs Boston had a shortened rotation mainly because of all the injuries. Teams that play only 7 or 8 guys lack quality depth. The Celtics had quality depth and came within 2 minutes of going to the finals. They accomplish this with two 2 allstars missing. They utilized their quality depth in the regular season AND in the playoffs

You can look at any team in the league and if you were to take 2 allstars out of their lineups they would not come close to accomplishing what Boston did.

I expect Boston to go at least 9 deep in the playoffs if the team is healthy. Your 7-8 estimate does not apply to Boston.

Irving, Horfrod, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Smart, Rozier, Morris and Baynes gives then 9 guys. All of them will play if healthy. Situational guys like Theis and Semi will also play if healthy.

The key is not depth but quality depth. 7-8 players? I seriously doubt that

dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:16 pm

I find it hard to argue with dboss' reasoning here. As usual.

It's starting to tick me off too. I'm getting tired of always having to agree with him.

I think I did disagree with him once last season. Maybe I'll go for two this season.
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:08 pm

NYCelt wrote:I find it hard to argue with dboss' reasoning here. As usual.

It's starting to tick me off too. I'm getting tired of always having to agree with him.

I think I did disagree with him once last season. Maybe I'll go for two this season.

Well NYCelt that's probably because I think like you do. I agree with you so agreeing with me on many things means you are agreeing with yourself. And I agree with myself as much as I agree with you.

I always appreciate your measured approach and positive feedback on the many discussions that we have on this forum.
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down