Williams will be Needed

Go down

Williams will be Needed

Post by dboss on Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:39 pm

When will Williams get some meaning minutes?  Can he help this team be a better team?  What may he be able to provide?  He is a young raw talent that is just dipping a toe in the water.

As the Celtics continue to work their way through  bumps in the road I am constantly reminded that they have the ability to improve in every area of play.

Most of the conversation has centered on their offense.  Defensively they have pretty much picked up where they left off last year.

One area of concern for me is rebounding the basketball and protecting the rim.  The Celtics are blessed with a roster full of solid rebounders.  They do not have a dominant rebounder.  They are currently 4th in defensive rebounds but only 19th in offensive rebounds.  I think there are schematic reasons for this.

Since both of our centers are shooting more 3 point shots (7.5 per game ) between Horford and Baynes, our smaller guys often find themselves fighting for offensive rebounds against bigger players.  Size and girth does matter.

As the team addresses their PITP (points in the paint)  where they currently rank 30th at 36.8 points but their opponents are scoring 44.8,  last night Boston won the PITP battle with Denver 50-42  because they were driving the ball. I am mentioning PITP because offensive rebounds can also provide more PITP.

Teams will often tell everyone go to the glass when on defense. When they do that it also prevents them from running out. If you are not a threat on your offensive glass you will see more runouts.

Defending PITP demands keeping the opponents off their offensive glass and defending the painted area better.  The team is not defending the paint as well as they need to.    Boston is 15th in the league in block shots.  We need better rim protection.

Enter Williams.  He appears to have the skill set to help us in several areas.  He is a solid rebounder and shot blocker.   He does not have anything close to a signature shot.  However, if you surround him with 4 shooters which can easily be done, he can focus his attention, energy and skill level in an area that reflects an obvious deficiency for our team.

Once the Celtics get their offense on track it may not be a bad idea to give the kid a chance.  Playing him a minute here or there is not enough.  I would like to see him playing at least 12 minute per game by the end of the season.    That means that Horford and Baynes may play a few less minutes and/or  perhaps we will see some rotations where both Horford and Williams are in the lineup together.
Don't hold your breath as this may not happen for a while as the team has other chemistry issues to resolve first but I have a strong feeling that Brad is going to get this kid some quality PT.  

Horford appears to have noticeable limits on his physical ability to play at a high level of intensity.  The same situation applies to Baynes.

Williams is a turbo charged athlete.  I am floored by his ability to get up so fast and so high.  There are a lot of big guys that have length and leaping ability.  What makes him special is his trigger.  Wow!
dboss

Back to top Go down

Re: Williams will be Needed

Post by fierce on Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:59 pm

Finally, you're acknowledging the team has chemistry issues.
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:03 am

Fierce

I have talked about chemistry issues countless times but this post has adsolutely nothing to do with chemistry

If you want to make a comment about my post go right ahead.  But please do not make things up.  

Perhaps if you took the time to actually read other posters opinions you would  be better able to provide your insight.

This post is nothing more and nothing less than me making an argument that Williams should get some minutes.  

If they actually started to play Williams it could impact the chemistry.  I think for the good but until we see it we cannot be certain.
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down