kdp59
Phil Pressey
dboss
bobheckler
fierce
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Terry Rozier Unhappy With Playing Time Empty Terry Rozier Unhappy With Playing Time

Post by fierce Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:45 pm

Terry Rozier unhappy with playing time?

Bill Simmons: Unexpected early-season Celts subplot: Terry Rozier (restricted FA next summer) has been unhappy w/ his PT all season, word has gotten around the league, and everyone now knows the Celtics need to trade him… which, of course, makes it harder to trade him. 8 hours ago – via Twitter BillSimmons

The teams that make the most sense are Phoenix and Orlando, but neither team should be trading an asset to have a BETTER record this season. Intriguing possibility: San Antonio. 8 hours ago – via Twitter BillSimmons
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Terry Rozier Unhappy With Playing Time Empty Re: Terry Rozier Unhappy With Playing Time

Post by fierce Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:52 pm

Basically Rozier is the Celts' 3rd string PG behind Kyrie and Smart.

Most will agree that Rozier is a starter on a different team.

It shouldn't be a surprise that Rozier wants more playing time.

Sure the Celts can give Rozier lots of money as he will be a RFA next summer.
But what the Celts can't give Rozier is a starting job, something that Rozier badly wants.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Terry Rozier Unhappy With Playing Time Empty Re: Terry Rozier Unhappy With Playing Time

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:55 pm

Quietly, at least seven teams have been monitoring Rozier’s status this season, league sources told The Athletic, waiting to see if the Celtics could begin to field trade calls. The Phoenix Suns have aggressively pursued Rozier, even before firing Ryan McDonough as general manager, league sources said.

bob
MY NOTE:  The problem is that TRo is still on his rookie contract, which makes salary matching for someone of value difficult.  Rozier can start on a lot of teams.  Getting someone of his caliber back in return but not getting paid tons more is going to be tough since Rozier is only making $4.29M this year.  That means, unless someone else is included, the biggest salary we could take is $5.36M (if that.  Salary cap restrictions might even make that tough) It will be MUCH easier this summer when he is a restricted free agent.  Danny will be able to match and then do a sign-and-trade at the higher $.  As far as "begin to field trade calls" I think the only untouchables on this team now are Tatum and Stevens, maybe Irving too if Rozier is going (or Rozier if Irving is going).

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:06 pm

bobheckler wrote:Quietly, at least seven teams have been monitoring Rozier’s status this season, league sources told The Athletic, waiting to see if the Celtics could begin to field trade calls. The Phoenix Suns have aggressively pursued Rozier, even before firing Ryan McDonough as general manager, league sources said.

bob
MY NOTE:  The problem is that TRo is still on his rookie contract, which makes salary matching for someone of value difficult.  Rozier can start on a lot of teams.  Getting someone of his caliber back in return but not getting paid tons more is going to be tough since Rozier is only making $4.29M this year.  That means, unless someone else is included, the biggest salary we could take is $5.36M (if that.  Salary cap restrictions might even make that tough) It will be MUCH easier this summer when he is a restricted free agent.  Danny will be able to match and then do a sign-and-trade at the higher $.  As far as "begin to field trade calls" I think the only untouchables on this team now are Tatum and Stevens, maybe Irving too if Rozier is going (or Rozier if Irving is going).

What you're suggesting is what's best for the Celts.

The question is does it really help the Celts if there's one unhappy camper in the locker room?
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:16 pm

The Celts need to keep the following players:

Kyrie
Tatum
Hayward
Horford
Smart
Baynes
Theis
Williams

The rest can go.

A true SG like Redick or a star player like Butler will put the Celts on the same level as GSW.

We're not going to beat elite teams with quantity, we need quality.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:53 pm

http://amicohoops.net/suns-cavs-among-those-with-celtics-rozier-on-radar/

Suns, Cavs among those with Celtics’ Rozier on radar

Celtics point guard Terry Rozier is reportedly coveted by a number of teams in need of help at point guard.

NOVEMBER 7, 2018

Sam Amico
Sam Amico

The Phoenix Suns are among one of at least seven teams with a strong interest in trading for Boston Celtics points guard Terry Rozier, according to a report from Shams Charania of The Athletic.

Also among those interested in Rozier: The Cleveland Cavaliers, league sources told Amico Hoops. Rozier is a native of Youngstown and attended high school in the Cleveland suburb of Shaker Heights.

With Celtics starter Kyrie Irving emerging and remaining healthy (for the time being), Rozier is reportedly growing frustrated with his lack of minutes in reserve. The Celtics are said to be open to trading Rozier now that Irving has given the team a verbal commitment to re-sign in free agency.

The issue, of course, is Irving’s health. He has been injury-prone during both runs with the Cavs and Celtics, occasionally at the most meaningful time of year.

Rozier replaced Irving as a starter in the playoffs and proved he too is a starting-caliber guard. The Suns, in particular, are in need of a point guard.

The Cavs already have veteran George Hill and rookie Collin Sexton on the roster, and while it’s likely too early to give up on Sexton, a proven player like Rozier may be hard to pass up if he could be acquired for the right price.

“The Celtics selected Rozier far above where anyone expected them to at No. 16 overall in the 2015 draft,” Charania wrote. “They nailed the pick. But committing a full five-year maximum contract to Irving this offseason would make it difficult to match a potential $16-to-$20 million per year (or more) offer sheet on Rozier.”

Rozier, 24, is averaging 7.5 points and 2.1 assists in 23 minutes a game this season.

bob
MY NOTE: Who does the Cavaliers have that we'd be interested in and the salaries work? Rodney Hood? I'd take their first round pick next year, but I doubt Cleveland will give it. They are going to suck for a few years until they figure out who they are without LeBron and Kyrie.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:57 pm

bob

The Cavs just used the 8th pick from the Kyrie trade on Sexton, a PG.
So why do the Cavs need another PG?
Looks like Sexton is a bust.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:00 pm

Marc D'Amico
Marc D'Amico @celtics
about 16 minutes ago
Brad Stevens on Terry Rozier: “I just have to figure out how to get him as many minutes as possible. He’s tremendous, not only in the way he plays, but just the way he goes about his everyday business – he works as hard as anybody on our roster.”

This is actually an old comment from October.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:05 pm

dboss wrote:Marc D'Amico
Marc D'Amico @celtics
about 16 minutes ago
Brad Stevens on Terry Rozier: “I just have to figure out how to get him as many minutes as possible. He’s tremendous, not only in the way he plays, but just the way he goes about his everyday business – he works as hard as anybody on our roster.”

This is actually an old comment from October.

That's October, it's November already.

Rozier's only shooting 35.5% from the field.
That's his lowest FG% since his rookie year.

Besides the minutes, Rozier's only getting limited touches.
In last year's playoffs, Rozier averaged 16.5 ppg attempting 14 shots per game.

It's really difficult to play well when your minutes are limited and your shot attempts are very few.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:10 pm

fierce wrote:bob

The Cavs just used the 8th pick from the Kyrie trade on Sexton, a PG.
So why do the Cavs need another PG?
Looks like Sexton is a bust.

fierce,

Might be a bit quick to call Sexton "a bust", he's only 230 minutes into his pro career.  I don't think there's much doubt Rozier would be an immediate upgrade though.  Our problem is that, with Pressey gone and Bradley way gone, we really don't have any fast defensive point guards besides Terry. If we trade Terry we will be at a disadvantage against teams with ultra-fast point guards because we won't have the speed to stay in front of them.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:27 pm

fierce wrote:The Celts need to keep the following players:

Kyrie
Tatum
Hayward
Horford
Smart
Baynes
Theis
Williams

The rest can go.

A true SG like Redick or a star player like Butler will put the Celts on the same level as GSW.

We're not going to beat elite teams with quantity, we need quality.

Did you run this by Danny?  

Okay i will fill in for Danny.  I have done many interviews with him.

Danny:  You know I always like Reddick.  He is a great shooter but he has never been a reliable defender and at 34 he really does not fit our timeline.  He will be a free agent after this year.  Not looking to trade for a one year rental.  Besides he makes $12,500,000 and they do not need another point guard.  That takes Terry out of the picture and i am not trading any of my starters to get Reddick.

Danny:  Jimmy is a fantastic player.  We talked to Bulls about him a while back but once we decided we could get Gordon in free agency without giving up any assets for Butler it was a better option for us.  I heard thibs turned down 4 first rounders recently. Like i said i was not gonna give up assets for him a while back and i am not going to do that now.  Besides I heard he is looking for a max contract and we have to plan on getting Kyrie resigned.  That will give us 3 max players and we will have Jaylen and Jason coming up a year or two down the road.

Last edited by dboss on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:39 pm

Last year teams inquired about Terry. After his playoff performance and the catchy "scary terry" branding, he is now a well know commodity.

But Danny does not have to trade him because he wants more minutes. Bob I agree with you regarding the defensive quickness Terry provides.

I am sure that Danny will make the best decision on this. If a great offer comes in he may do a deal but he is a fan favorite of terry and is unlikely to part with him without a fight.

It is not a big deal unless Terry asks to be traded.

Everybody on the roster wants more playing time. No revelation here.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:49 am

That sounds like fake news. If Rozier is traded, the return better include a decent guard. Irving is going to have to start dishing out assists like a real pg without his crazy turnovers. He will have to continue to produce on defense. Kyrie Irving needs to perform as a top ten player or this will turn into a treadmill. He might be another Carmelo Anthony fool's gold for a diva. People speak about throwing away Rozier like he's nothing.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:55 am

Guys, you're forgetting the Celts gave Smart 50m+ per year.
He's a PG.

If Ainge and the Celts didn't think Smart is part of the future then they would've opted not to give Smart that big of a contract.

Right now Smart is Kyrie's backup and Rozier is 3rd string PG.

Again, time will tell.

Since most of you say it's too early then let's give it another 10 games.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:20 am

Phil Pressey wrote:That sounds like fake news. If Rozier is traded, the return better include a decent guard. Irving is going to have to start dishing out assists like a real pg without his crazy turnovers. He will have to continue to produce on defense. Kyrie Irving needs to perform as a top ten player or this will turn into a treadmill. He might be another Carmelo Anthony fool's gold for a diva. People speak about throwing away Rozier like he's nothing.

For what it’s worth: The Athletic’s Shams Charania reported Wednesday that the Phoenix Suns are among seven teams who have “monitored” the Rozier situation. He also noted that Phoenix has “aggressively” pursued a trade with Boston. Rozier obviously has a right to be upset — if he really is. The Louisville product averaged 25.9 minutes and 11.3 points per game during the 2017-18 regular season, culminating with a breakout postseason that saw him average 16.5 points over 36.6 minutes. Much of that, however, came with an injured Kyrie Irving out of the lineup.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/11/nba-rumors-celtics-terry-rozier-mad-about-playing-time-could-be-traded/
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:51 am

25.9 Min per game last year

22.7 Min per game this year so far.

LOL

made up stories by some team (cough, PHoenix,cough) to try to pry a starting PG form some team after they screwed the pooch in the off-season.

no need to move Rozier unless its a GREAT deal for the Celtics.

RFA next year means we can MATCH any offers he gets and keep him or do the old sign and trade then.

and if anyone is worried about Rozier becoming "scary Terry" in the lockerroom.....well THAT will certainly help with his next deal for sure, now won't it.....LOL
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:30 am

kdp59 wrote:25.9 Min per game last year

22.7 Min per game this year so far.

LOL

made up stories by some team (cough, PHoenix,cough) to try to pry a starting PG form some team after they screwed the pooch in the off-season.

no need to move Rozier unless its a GREAT deal for the Celtics.

RFA next year means we can MATCH any offers he gets and keep him or do the old sign and trade then.

and if anyone is worried about Rozier becoming "scary Terry" in the lockerroom.....well THAT will certainly help with his next deal for sure, now won't it.....LOL

Also the 25 MPG was inflated because he played heavy minutes when Kyrie was shut down. I have calculated that his playing time is less than 2 minutes per game if you subtract out the inflated minutes he played last year.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:59 am

The Celtics don't have to immediately respond to either the moods of individual players or the myriad rumors floating around NBA circles. Keeping all 3 of Kyrie, Marcus, and Terry would be nice, but probably not realistic. Danny still has some time to decide what he wants to do long term. He will take his time and do what is best for the team.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:49 am

This thread like so many others is designed to advanced the narrative of posters that are just looking to find reasons to make roster changes.

It is one of those see I told you so threads.

There is really nothing new here.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:20 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:39 pm

Well, there you go. Straight from the horses mouth. He is not complaining.

The media has to write their stories, now-a-days complete with drama. Sometimes that drama is invented and some take the bait, hook line and sinker. Often, the fishermen want so much for it to be true because it fits their narrative.

I did like his answer, "There should be more". This guy does not lack confidence!

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:24 pm

I have an idea: start him a game or two as pg, possibly alongside Irving as sg. If he plays so well that the machine begins to hum then Brad will have another option to win games. If Semi can start a game, no reason Terry can't, IMO. I think this is mostly made-up news, because every player on the bench wants more time. The players I want to get more of those scarce minutes are Williams and Theis (when healed) because Horford is pacing himself (as perhaps he should). Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:48 pm

CBS SPORTS 4 hrs ago Danny Ainge squashes Terry Rozier trade rumors. He's not unhappy and no teams are calling

So...........where does that leave all of the speculation??? Story quoted Chris Fosberg as saying that Danny said if Terry would have come to him or Brad to discuss this, so folks, we read it wrong? I believe he may be unhappy with himself at the way he is playing, as some of the other young guys are.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:08 pm

hawksnestbeach wrote:I have an idea: start him a game or two as pg, possibly alongside Irving as sg. If he plays so well that the machine begins to hum then Brad will have another option to win games. If Semi can start a game, no reason Terry can't, IMO. I think this is mostly made-up news, because every player on the bench wants more time. The players I want to get more of those scarce minutes are Williams and Theis (when healed) because Horford is pacing himself (as perhaps he should). Hawk

Hawk,

Not a bad idea, especially against teams with shorter back courts like Portland and NOP.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Rosalie

Bill Simmons is in the middle of this mess as usual.

In the end I think it is much ado about nothing.

Terry is just adjusting like every other player. Ainge is quoted as saying

"I talk to Terry quite a bit, and I haven't heard any of those types of things," Ainge said. "I don't know how reliable any of the sources or rumors are. Terry hasn't shared any of those with me, and I think he would if he were feeling that way. Terry knew going in this year what his situation, what his role was going to be, and he was as excited and enthusiastic as anyone on our team for the upcoming season.

"I know for sure that Terry would love to be playing more minutes, but there's a lot of guys on the team that would love to be playing more minutes. I feel like I have a relationship with Terry that he would come to me and talk to me or [head coach Brad Stevens] if he was really frustrated about his situation, and none of that's happened."

I think this statement sums it up for me

"I know for sure that Terry would love to be playing more minutes, but there's a lot of guys on the team that would love to be playing more minutes.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next