Celtics are Playing with Fire Far Too Often on This Road Trip

+2
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Celtics are Playing with Fire Far Too Often on This Road Trip Empty Celtics are Playing with Fire Far Too Often on This Road Trip

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:07 pm

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/post-110918-celtics-are-paying-with-fire-far-too-often-on-this-road-trip?sf201995888=1

Celtics are Playing with Fire Far Too Often on This Road Trip

By Marc D'Amico |  @Marc_DAmico
Celtics.com
November 10, 2018

SALT LAKE CITY – If you keep playing with fire, you’re gonna get burned.

The Boston Celtics learned that lesson the hard way Friday night in Salt Lake City while falling 123-115 to the Jazz.

For the second time in as many nights, Boston fell behind by 20 points during the second half. For the second time in as many nights, it staged a comeback. This time, however, it came up short.

After overcoming a 22-point deficit Thursday night to down the Suns in Phoenix, the Celtics clawed back from 20 points down to pull within four on five separate occasions during the final eight minutes of Friday’s matchup with the Jazz. That’s as close as they got, as Utah answered with a bucket each and every time.

Certainly, the fact that the C’s were able to fight back into two straight games stands as a positive. It does not, however, overshadow the fact that the team has built sizable deficits in the first place.

This time around, Boston allowed the Jazz to catch fire early and to maintain a hot stroke well into the second half. The Jazz shot 60.5 percent from the field during the first half and then rattled off a 12-2 run early in the third quarter to open up an 18-point lead.

“You know, those runs, you can’t let (happen) in the NBA,” Brad Stevens said after the game. He referenced three spurts from Utah before adding, “Just can’t have those. Put you in too big of a hole.”

It’s not often in this league that a team can crawl out of 20-point holes, so the Celtics need to avoid them moving forward. A key to doing so will be slowing down the opponent’s top scoring threats.

During Boston’s last three games, at least one top scoring threat from the opposing team has notched at least 27 points. Jamal Murray scored 48 for Denver, Devin Booker scored 38 for Phoenix, and Joe Ingles scored 27 for Utah. That isn’t sitting well with the C’s.

“We’re letting guys that we know are going to do certain things do those things,” he said after the game, according to Jay King of The Athletic. “That’s a slap across Brad’s face and this coaching staff who spends countless hours, countless days, preparing us and giving us the tools we need to go out there and to cut that off.”

That trend has Stevens wondering what’s going to happen Sunday evening in Portland, when the Celtics will take on the 9-3 Trail Blazers.

“Obviously with (Damian) Lillard and (C.J.) McCollum next,” he said, “they’re probably licking their chops on us right now.”

Really, it’s the Celtics who should be licking their chops to get back onto the court and fix what has dogged them of late.

Their defense simply hasn’t been good enough. They have allowed opposing teams to build huge leads that are nearly always insurmountable. They have allowed opposing scorers to score in bulk. That doesn’t cut it against quality opponents.

“It’s tough to beat a good team if you pay 36 minutes of good basketball,” Stevens said.

It’s time for the Celtics to play 48 minutes of quality basketball and see where that takes them. It’s time for them to throw some water on that fire and step away.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics are Playing with Fire Far Too Often on This Road Trip Empty Re: Celtics are Playing with Fire Far Too Often on This Road Trip

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:05 pm

If they play like they did for the last game, they will get blown out. These guys have to start playing some defense or they will find themselves at the bottom of the heap very early in the season

This season has been disappointing so far. Not pointing fingers at any one player, but something is just not right. They are too good to be playing like the way they are. I have said it on every game thread that I have been on where they lost, DISAPPOINTED.

What's up guys?I could not wait to see you all on the same court together. Get it together, the talent is there.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Celtics are Playing with Fire Far Too Often on This Road Trip Empty Re: Celtics are Playing with Fire Far Too Often on This Road Trip

Post by wideclyde Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:13 pm

This has certainly not been a good road trip so far.

Lots and lots of their game looks terrible to start this season with a team with so much talent.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:40 pm

Celts are one or 2 makes and stops from being 4-0 on this trip

I know everyone is fustrated but I am not concerned in the least and I am always concerned.

We will be fine.  Let them take their lumps now.

Hayward damn near broke his foot off 12 months ago.  I can still see the foot pointing in the wrong direction.  

He has worked his butt off to get back on the court.  He is getting few opportunities out there.  I strongly believe he will keep getting better but fans need to be very patient.  Should he be starting?  Probably not until he has overcome his injury.

Because he is coming off a serious injury uit is not just about chemistry.  It is about chemistry and integrating a starter that is not quite ready.

I would bring him off the bench until he is ready to assume his #2 position as the best player on our team.  That should take some pressure off of him.

The Celtics do not need him to be a starter until he is ready.  They could play it out but maybe it would be better to sit him.

Last edited by dboss on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:42 pm

I can only imagine what Gordon is going through, mental as well as physical. I absolutely believe he will slowly start to show everyone of the naysayers just how good he is. Last night he had 7 assists. He is helping out ther, they have to realize what he can do for them.

I just wonder if Brad is not putting him on the second team because he feels that mentally it might set him back a bit. He is a gamer, he will show up sooner rather than later.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:08 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:If they play like they did for the last game, they will get blown out. These guys have to start playing some defense or they will find themselves at the bottom of the heap very early in the season

This season has been disappointing so far. Not pointing fingers at any one player, but something is just not right.  They are too good to be playing like the way they are. I have said it on every game thread that I have been on where they lost, DISAPPOINTED.

What's up guys?I could not wait to see you all on the same court together. Get it together, the talent is there.

Finally, you've seen the light!
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:11 pm

dboss wrote:Celts are one or 2 makes and stops from being 4-0 on this trip

I know everyone is fustrated but I am not concerned in the least and I am always concerned.

We will be fine.  Let them take their lumps now.

Hayward damn near broke his foot off 12 months ago.  I can still see the foot pointing in the wrong direction.  

He has worked his butt off to get back on the court.  He is getting few opportunities out there.  I strongly believe he will keep getting better but fans need to be very patient.  Should he be starting?  Probably not until he has overcome his injury.

Because he is coming off a serious injury uit is not just about chemistry.  It is about chemistry and integrating a starter that is not quite ready.

I would bring him off the bench until he is ready to assume his #2 position as the best player on our team.  That should take some pressure off of him.

The Celtics do not need him to be a starter until he is ready.  They could play it out but maybe it would be better to sit him.

The problem is the Celts are supposed to be contenders.
They're supposed to face GSW in the Finals.
That's the expectation before the season started.

Right now the Celts are looking like a team vying for the 8th seed.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:31 pm

fierce

i agree lofty expectations have sullied the mood around Celtic's nation but not our optimism.

The Celtics look very well in spurts but it is a lack of consistency throughout the game that is missing.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:17 am

dboss wrote:fierce

i agree lofty expectations have sullied the mood around Celtic's nation but not our optimism.

The Celtics look very well in spurts but it is a lack of consistency throughout the game that is missing.

The lofty expectations are warranted.
After all, Celts reached the east finals last season without Kyrie and Hayward.

It's not that I'm not optimistic.
I just want Ainge to make changes early so that the Celts will have enough time to adjust and be at full strength by April.

Making changes later in the season might be too late.
If Ainge can make changes earlier the better.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:11 pm

Fierce

You think Ainge should make changes right now after only 12 games. I do not think that is needed right now.

I think it is still too soon for that. I think you have to give coach Stevens room to coach. 25 games in should provide a clearer picture.

Sometimes a single change in the lineup or the rotation can have a big impact. Stevens will make changes to see how they work.

Stevens has several lineup cards to use that have not been used.

It is not clear to me that we need to make a change to the roster yet.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:38 am

To the moderators, we all root for the Celtics generally and passionately 

Aren’t there a few posts here that are redundant from all the other threads I had to see the same argument or variations posted over and over? Kind of sullies the board IMHO.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down