Report: Wizards fine John Wall for shouting expletive at Scott Brooks during practice

+2
gyso
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Report: Wizards fine John Wall for shouting expletive at Scott Brooks during practice Empty Report: Wizards fine John Wall for shouting expletive at Scott Brooks during practice

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:35 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-frustrated-wizards-players-engaging-verbal-altercations-practices-225143912.html

Report: Wizards fine John Wall for shouting expletive at Scott Brooks during practice

Yahoo Sports  Chris Cwik,Yahoo Sports 17 hours ago

Frustrations may have reached a boiling point with the Washington Wizards. Turns out, the team may have a good reason for making everyone available in trades.

The Wizards have engaged in some “verbal altercations” at practice, according to Shams Charania of the Athletic. It hasn’t involved just the players either. The team fined guard John Wall after Wall reportedly told head coach Scott Brooks “f— you” after Brooks tried to rally the team during practice, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

Adrian Wojnarowski
✔️
@wojespn
Story filed to ESPN: The Wizards fined All-Star John Wall for unloading a verbal barrage onto coach Scott Brooks in a recent practice. After Wall and his teammates had been challenged to raise intensity in that session, Wall fired back with "F--- you," to Brooks. Story soon.

4:12 PM - Nov 19, 2018

The team’s practices have been “volatile,” and some of the longest-tenured members of the franchise are starting to get frustrated.

Guard Bradley Beal reportedly told team officials he’s been “dealing with this for seven years.”

Shams Charania
✔️
@ShamsCharania
Teams have these kinds of practices, and tension always reveals itself amid underperformance. Wizards are 5-11 so far this year. Several players had verbal back and forth in this practice, league sources said.

Shams Charania
✔️
@ShamsCharania
Sources on @TheAthleticNBA @WatchStadium: The Washington Wizards had a volatile practice within recent days, with verbal altercations among players and an exasperated Bradley Beal saying toward team officials: "I've been dealing with this for seven years."

1:39 PM - Nov 19, 2018

The Wizards are just 5-11 to start the season.

While struggling teams often engage in verbal sparring, the Wizards’ situation has been bad enough that the organization is at least considering drastic changes. The team may be listening to offers for everyone on the team, including Beal and John Wall, according to Wojnarowski.

The Wizards have mostly disappointed with Beal and Wall over the past couple seasons. Since Wall joined the team, it has finished no higher than fourth in the Eastern Conference. The Wizards have made the playoffs four times with Beal and Wall, but have never advanced past the conference semifinals.

On the court, both Beal and Wall have performed up to their usual standards this season. Off the court, the entire team appears to be falling apart.

bob
MY NOTE:  As frustrated and confused our Celtics are (and we are about them) be grateful for small graces, at least they aren't the Washington Wizards.  Max capped out, failing and then flailing.  But here's a question for all of us:  Assuming they don't just axe Scott Brooks, which is the easiest and most surgical resolution, is there anybody on their squad we want and, if so, who would you be willing to give up for them?

Here's their roster and salaries, so you can match-up (we are currently 2018-2019):
John Wall - $19M, last year
Bradley Beal - $25.4M, through 2020-2021
Otto Porter - $24.7M, through 2020-2021, goes up to $28.8M in last year
Ian Mahinmi - $15M, through 2019-2020
Markieff Morris - $8.6M, last year
Kelly Oubre - $3.2M, through 2019-2020
Austin Rivers - $12.6M, last year
Tomas Sataransky - $3M, through 2019-2020
Troy Brown, Jr. - $2.7M, through 2022-2023

There are other players, notably Jeff Green and Dwight Howard and Jason Smith that I didn't list because my stomach isn't completely settled and I don't want to take any chances.  Jason Smith?  Meh, he's good at what he does, albeit limited, but Green and Dwight?  Even as cheap as they already are?  Stick a fork in them.

So, assuming they change the roster and not just the coach who, if anyone, would you want?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report: Wizards fine John Wall for shouting expletive at Scott Brooks during practice Empty Re: Report: Wizards fine John Wall for shouting expletive at Scott Brooks during practice

Post by gyso Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:59 pm

I agree with the no interest in Jeff Green. Beyond the fact that he is pretty much done, I have another reason . . . we already have one.

His name is Jaylen Brown. Can anyone convince me that JB isn't the second coming of JG? Nice guy, super athletic, shows flashes of greatness, but inconsistent as heck.

Seriously, please can someone convince me that I am wrong? I want to be, but his recent play has not inspired any confidence in JB's long term success.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Report: Wizards fine John Wall for shouting expletive at Scott Brooks during practice Empty Re: Report: Wizards fine John Wall for shouting expletive at Scott Brooks during practice

Post by swish Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:43 pm

Going overboard ( either in a positive or negative way ) can be an adventure when dealing with young kids. Gone are the days when rookies came in to the league at ages 22 or 23 and were 4 or 5 years removed from High School.  The real Brown may not show up for another 3 or 4 years when there's a much better chance then that  his talent level will be reasonably established.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:55 pm

gyso wrote:I agree with the no interest in Jeff Green.  Beyond the fact that he is pretty much done, I have another reason . . . we already have one.

His name is Jaylen Brown.  Can anyone convince me that JB isn't the second coming of JG?  Nice guy, super athletic, shows flashes of greatness, but inconsistent as heck.

Seriously, please can someone convince me that I am wrong?  I want to be, but his recent play has not inspired any confidence in JB's long term success.

gyso

Oh my I am looking forward to what Cow has to say about this!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:10 pm

swish wrote:Going overboard ( either in a positive or negative way ) can be an adventure when dealing with young kids. Gone are the days when rookies came in to the league at ages 22 or 23 and were 4 or 5 years removed from High School.  The real Brown may not show up for another 3 or 4 years when there's a much better chance then that  his talent level will be reasonably established.

swish

swish,

You make a good point. Maybe it is too soon to make a final claim about a player, one way or the other. All I have seen so far has been the one way, I am just proposing the other in order to start a balanced conversation.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:15 pm

gyso

I get what you are saying but I have to agree with Swish. Last year he played very well if you recall including averaging 18 PPG in the playoff. This year his shooting is sub-par. He just turned 22 last month. I got socks older than him. He's got 2 years and 17 games under his belt.

He worked his butt off over the summer although the results may not be apparent. At times he is still uncertain whether to drive or shoot from deep. He feels added pressure because his sidekick Jason is already better than him. Hayward is already cutting into his minutes. He is still unable to make free throws and i know he worked on that over the summer. I think his free throw shot is a bit too tight. There is no flow in his stroke. I think he may need to start over on that. Maybe replicate Jason or Kyrie for example. Making free throws and knowing your are going to make free throws gives you a big psychological uplift. His handle is definitely improved so that's a plus.

I would give him more time before pinning the Jeff Green label on his shirt.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:15 pm

bobc33 wrote:
gyso wrote:I agree with the no interest in Jeff Green.  Beyond the fact that he is pretty much done, I have another reason . . . we already have one.

His name is Jaylen Brown.  Can anyone convince me that JB isn't the second coming of JG?  Nice guy, super athletic, shows flashes of greatness, but inconsistent as heck.

Seriously, please can someone convince me that I am wrong?  I want to be, but his recent play has not inspired any confidence in JB's long term success.

gyso

Oh my I am looking forward to what Cow has to say about this!!!

BobC,

I know that I am going against the grain on this subject.  I hope that nobody takes too much umbrage and replies to my question in the manner that it was asked.

I expect that Cow and others will share their opinions.  I just hope that I am still breathing after the fact!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:29 pm

dboss wrote:gyso

I get what you are saying but I have to agree with Swish.  Last year he played very well if you recall including averaging 18 PPG in the playoff.  This year his shooting is sub-par.  He just turned 22 last month.  I got socks older than him.  He's got 2 years and 17 games under his belt.

He worked his butt off over the summer although the results may not be apparent.  At times he is still uncertain whether to drive or shoot from deep.  He feels added pressure because his sidekick Jason is already better than him.  Hayward is already cutting into his minutes.  He is still unable to make free throws and i know he worked on that over the summer.  I think his free throw shot is a bit too tight.  There is no flow in his stroke.  I think he may need to start over on that.  Maybe replicate Jason or Kyrie for example.   Making free throws and knowing your are going to make free throws gives you a big psychological uplift.  His handle is definitely improved so that's a plus.

dboss,

I appreciate your input.

I have been thinking about this Jeff Green comparison for a while this season.  On the Game On! thread, someone suggested that Jaylen needs to stop hanging around the three point line and move without the ball.  When I read it, I remembered that those same kind of comments were made when Jeff was a Celtics player.

That convinced me that I should ask other members here if they also see it or am I all alone.  Jaylen has recently gone through a bad stretch and I am hoping that someone can quantify the reason for it.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Hey Bob

With all the problem they are having I would not touch any of them with the broken end of a coke bottle.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:13 pm

gyso wrote:
dboss wrote:gyso

I get what you are saying but I have to agree with Swish.  Last year he played very well if you recall including averaging 18 PPG in the playoff.  This year his shooting is sub-par.  He just turned 22 last month.  I got socks older than him.  He's got 2 years and 17 games under his belt.

He worked his butt off over the summer although the results may not be apparent.  At times he is still uncertain whether to drive or shoot from deep.  He feels added pressure because his sidekick Jason is already better than him.  Hayward is already cutting into his minutes.  He is still unable to make free throws and i know he worked on that over the summer.  I think his free throw shot is a bit too tight.  There is no flow in his stroke.  I think he may need to start over on that.  Maybe replicate Jason or Kyrie for example.   Making free throws and knowing your are going to make free throws gives you a big psychological uplift.  His handle is definitely improved so that's a plus.

dboss,

I appreciate your input.

I have been thinking about this Jeff Green comparison for a while this season.  On the Game On! thread, someone suggested that Jaylen needs to stop hanging around the three point line and move without the ball.  When I read it, I remembered that those same kind of comments were made when Jeff was a Celtics player.

That convinced me that I should ask other members here if they also see it or am I all alone.  Jaylen has recently gone through a bad stretch and I am hoping that someone can quantify the reason for it.

gyso

gyso when you look at drives to the rim we have Kyrie, Tatum and Brown. So I think he is moving but again the Celtics offense has skewed toward perimeter shooting unfortunately he has not been shooting well from deep or we would not be having this conversation. Take a look at the review I did that compares 3 point shooting last year to 3 point shooting this year. Last night I thought he did a good job taking it off the dribble. More plays designed to get guys going to the hoop would be helpful.

He has definitely been struggling along with several other key guys.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Has Jeff Green ever had as many consecutive productive games as Jaylen did in last years playoff run? That was his first taste of the playoffs and he played through an injury and made a ton of huge plays, and he’s just a baby. It took Kawhi at least 4-5 years to become Kawhi, still think he will get it going at some point, would be colossal mistake to give up on him after a rough stretch. The whole team is adjusting, overthinking, as the stats show Jaylen isn’t only one not playing up to his high standards.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down