2019 NBA Draft

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty 2019 NBA Draft

Post by dboss on Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:49 pm

I know it is way too early for this but is it really?

The Celtics have already completed 30 games.  2019 is just 12 days away so here is the official 2019 NBA Draft Thread.

As you come across players that may be a good fit for Boston please tell us why and if you have a video link to post please do so.
 
The 2019 draft is a very unique year for the Celtics because they have up to first round selections.  A lot can change over the next 50 or so game but as of today all 4 picks are in play.  That's the good news.  There is really no bad news unless draft positioning tempers things.  I do not see how Boston can absorb 4 first round picks all of which would be guaranteed contracts.

For one thing there will not be enough roster spots open.

Rozier and Morris are FA and although Terry is UR, a salary match seems unlikely.  Morris is vastly underpaid given his production but just like Terry there is not enough money to go around.  Consider that beginning next season Boston is likely to have $100 million slated for 3 players.  Throw in Smart's contract for next year and you can see where this is going.

Boston has been down this road before.  However Boston has sufficient draft assets to replace both Rozier and Morris although it will take time for any rookie to develop and become productive.
 
One great thing about having a lot of picks is the ability to package one or more to move up in the draft for a particular player that you like.  The Celtic could also trade out of the first round with a particular pick and get a 2nd rounder and a future 1st.
 
The other option is to pull the trigger on a trade.  That remains a possibility.  That decision will be impacted by how far this team goes this year.    
Aside from these considerations I  think Boston should focus on replacing Norris and Rozier.

Here are some forward that I  listed in order according of  my preference.  Each of these players are two way players.  Replacements for Morris.  All of these guys can play defense.

Sekou Doumbouya 6' 9" SF/PF France long and athletic slasher and defender with developing offensive game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CESrt9ai77M

Eric Paschall Villanova 6' 8" PF strong and can shoot from deep (Late first, early 2nd) do not let his height fool you. Check out his stroke from deep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE6_5wvxKWs

Simi Shittu Vandy 6' 10" PF pronounced shit 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IAY-HSpvac

Sagaba Konate 6' 8" F/C WV he is a beast shot blocker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bSBu_4lb_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L02dNDBx1FY

Aric Holman Miss State 6' 10 PF (2nd round)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nJnj0uYJb4
dboss
dboss

Posts : 10962
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by kdp59 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:33 am

a couple websites I like

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2019-nba-mock-draft.html

already has write ups on many players



https://hoopshype.com/2018/12/17/zion-williamson-mock-draft-college-basketball-rumors-updates/

this one is a time capsule, showing where players would be slated to be drafted according to current mock drafts
kdp59
kdp59

Posts : 4340
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 59

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by dboss on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:14 am

kdp59

Thank you for sharing those links.

I really like the hoopshype one because it shows several mocks

I also like draftnet.com because it often has videos, links to their stats and strength and weaknesses write ups
dboss
dboss

Posts : 10962
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by dboss on Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:38 pm

PG

Quentin Grimes Kansas 6' 5" combo guard, a highlight reel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2VLXWWVsSA

Jaylen Hands, UCLA 6' 3" PG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpY1NIJcNxw
dboss
dboss

Posts : 10962
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by NYCelt on Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:14 pm

I think with any pick kept, there's still a need to look at a center. Someone to push and pair with Williams. The team will probably hang on to most of the current stack of wings, is my guess.

Unfortunately, it's not looking like an extremely deep draft for centers. Depending on where the picks fall, perhaps Jontay Porter or Charles Bassey may be on the radar. Porter may go top 10 despite the knee injury, so odds at this point would say maybe Bassey, which should still take a top 20 slot. Daniel Gafford could be a wild card.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Posts : 7846
Join date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by kdp59 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:32 am

Gafford if mid lottery right now.

I liked Porter last year, so for me he is still an option mid first.

Bassey interests me, but I want to see if he plays well this year or not.

and finally, my favorite...Bol Bol. Of course we might need a top 5 pick to land him.

But we can have our own Thon Maker only BIGGER!

kdp59
kdp59

Posts : 4340
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 59

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by dboss on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

I really like Charles Bassey.

He went had to head against Arkansas Gafford and more then acquitted himself. They are both good players but Bassey can step away from the basket and score better than Gafford. I think Bassey is more talented.

Bol bol is out with a stress fracture to his foot and will not play another college game. Porter tore both his ACL and MCL. I do not see either one of them getting a flyer from Boston.

On the PG watch Ja Morant has been climbing up draft boards. His numbers look impressive 23.3 PPG 9.9 assists and 6.8 rebounds. But behind the number you have 5 turnovers per game and 30% shooting from the college 3 point line. He is going to get drafted in the lottery but i do not see Boston going after him with their best pick.
dboss
dboss

Posts : 10962
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by NYCelt on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:33 pm

Speaking of the draft...

For anyone who hasn't seen the upcoming 2019 #1 pick, Zion Williamson, Duke plays Wake Forest tonight at 7pm on ESPN.

The entire Duke team is loaded, but Williamson is from another planet entirely.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Posts : 7846
Join date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by dbrown4 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:31 pm

Yeah...we won't be getting him!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Posts : 2077
Join date : 2009-10-29
Age : 55

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by bobheckler on Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:25 pm

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/08/espn-projects-celtics-to-draft-pair-of-kentucky-players-in-latest-mock/




2019 NBA Draft Usatsi_11752426





By: Quenton S. Albertie | 7 hours ago




In ESPN’s latest mock draft, draft expert Jonathan Givorny projected the Boston Celtics to select three players in the first round of the 2019 NBA Draft, using the Sacramento Kings first-round pick (top-one protected), the Los Angeles Clippers first-round pick (lottery protected) and their own first-round pick.

With those three selections (h/t MassLive‘s Tom Westerholm), Givorny projected the Celtics to select ninth overall (via Sacramento), 18th overall (via Los Angeles) and 27th overall. The first two of those picks are expected to be used on a couple of University of Kentucky products: shooting guard Keldon Johnson and power forward P.J. Washington.


Standing at 6-foot-6 and weighing 211 pounds, Johnson has the tools to be a prototypical three-and-D wing and evoked images of Golden State Warriors sharpshooter Klay Thompson with his athleticism, physical profile, quick release and defensive tenacity.




Currently a freshman at Kentucky, Johnson is averaging 16.5 points, 5.6 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 0.9 steals per game while shooting 53.4 percent from the field and a blistering 42.6 percent from three-point range (3.6 three-point attempts per game). The 19-year-old also has favorable advanced numbers, with an offensive rating of 128.4, a defensive rating of 99.9 and .214 win shares per 48 minutes.

Washington is in his second year at Kentucky and, while seen as a versatile offensive threat with a jack-of-all-trades master of none skillset, he’s started to refine his outside shooting — knocking down 39.1 percent of his three-point attempts this season — and that’ll make a world of difference for him if he wants to become a rotation player in the Celtics lineup. He’s an intuitive playmaker, determined rebounder and player who can defend multiple positions on-ball.

He’s not the most athletic player and is slightly undersized for his position. Furthermore, his ability to impact the game on defense when he’s playing off-ball is considered a weakness. Nonetheless, Boston doesn’t need the perfect prospect, just one that can fit the Celtics’ dynamic style.

Standing at 6-foot-8 and weighing 240 pounds, Washington has averaged 12.8 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 1.2 blocks and 0.8 steals this season while shooting 51.8 percent from the field, 39.1 percent from three-point range and 71.7 percent from the free-throw line. Washington averaged 10.8 points, 5.7 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 0.8 steals and 0.8 blocks per game last season while shooting 51.9 percent from the field, 23.8 percent from three-point range and 60.6 percent from the charity stripe.

Boston’s reigning 27th overall pick (from the 2018 NBA Draft) Robert Williams III now has Celtics fans full attention because of his bounce and shot-blocking prowess. However, the center that Givorny projects to Boston with the 27th pick in the 2019 NBA Draft — Croatia’s Luka Samanic — doesn’t strike fear into the hearts of players that are headed to the rim.

Instead, he possesses a versatile offensive skillset that sees him scoring from all three levels, though with inconsistent efficiency. Further, though he’s not an elite athlete like Williams, he’s a solid decision-maker on the defensive end and has shown an ability to defend well on switches in the pick-and-roll.

His mentality and physicality are currently question marks but at 18-years-old, there’s plenty of time for him to grow in both areas.

Boston isn’t a team that needs much but with the likelihood they could lose point guard Terry Rozier, power forward Marcus Morris and center Aron Baynes in free agency, it’s possible that Givorny has the positions of the players the Celtics intend to draft right, at least. Though Johnson is a two-guard, Marcus Smart’s ability to play both guard positions could lead Boston to make him the backup point guard in Rozier’s place next season.

Johnson could either start at shooting guard and make his mark as off-ball threat beside Irving or come off the bench.



bob



.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Posts : 42164
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by beat on Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:58 pm

NYCelt wrote:Speaking of the draft...

For anyone who hasn't seen the upcoming 2019 #1 pick, Zion Williamson, Duke plays Wake Forest tonight at 7pm on ESPN.

The entire Duke team is loaded, but Williamson is from another planet entirely.

Other than neutral courts at tournaments this will be the Dukies first roadie of the season.

beat
beat
beat

Posts : 7032
Join date : 2009-10-13
Age : 66

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by dboss on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:43 pm

NYCelt wrote:Speaking of the draft...

For anyone who hasn't seen the upcoming 2019 #1 pick, Zion Williamson, Duke plays Wake Forest tonight at 7pm on ESPN.

The entire Duke team is loaded, but Williamson is from another planet entirely.

Williams plays like Charles Barkley on steroids. Ridiculous athleticism
dboss
dboss

Posts : 10962
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by dboss on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:57 pm

I think they need a big forward 1st. Semi can give us defense as good as Morris but Morris is so damn perfect in our offense.

We really could use a skilled defender and rebounder that can score a little. Wonder why the Memphis pick is not includer. Maybe they are worse than we think.

I think the possibility of packaging 2 for 1 also makes sense if you can get a better prospect.

Interesting stuff. Keep it coming.
dboss
dboss

Posts : 10962
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by bobc33 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:32 pm

NYCelt wrote:Speaking of the draft...

For anyone who hasn't seen the upcoming 2019 #1 pick, Zion Williamson, Duke plays Wake Forest tonight at 7pm on ESPN.

The entire Duke team is loaded, but Williamson is from another planet entirely.


You may call me a dreamer, but I’m not the only one..........

Ok, Sacramento misses the playoffs, gets lucky in the lottery and ends up with the #2 pick which of course we own.  We then package the #2 pick, the Memphis pick, the Clippers pick, our own pick, Jaylen Brown and the expiring contract of Theo Ratliff for Zion.  Zion makes me forget all about Luka Doncic, becomes the most devastating NBA player since MJ and leads us to seven world titles.......

You heard it here first!
bobc33
bobc33

Posts : 8233
Join date : 2009-10-16

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by kdp59 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:51 am

bobheckler wrote:https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/08/espn-projects-celtics-to-draft-pair-of-kentucky-players-in-latest-mock/




2019 NBA Draft Usatsi_11752426





By: Quenton S. Albertie | 7 hours ago




In ESPN’s latest mock draft, draft expert Jonathan Givorny projected the Boston Celtics to select three players in the first round of the 2019 NBA Draft, using the Sacramento Kings first-round pick (top-one protected), the Los Angeles Clippers first-round pick (lottery protected) and their own first-round pick.

With those three selections (h/t MassLive‘s Tom Westerholm), Givorny projected the Celtics to select ninth overall (via Sacramento), 18th overall (via Los Angeles) and 27th overall. The first two of those picks are expected to be used on a couple of University of Kentucky products: shooting guard Keldon Johnson and power forward P.J. Washington.


Standing at 6-foot-6 and weighing 211 pounds, Johnson has the tools to be a prototypical three-and-D wing and evoked images of Golden State Warriors sharpshooter Klay Thompson with his athleticism, physical profile, quick release and defensive tenacity.




Currently a freshman at Kentucky, Johnson is averaging 16.5 points, 5.6 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 0.9 steals per game while shooting 53.4 percent from the field and a blistering 42.6 percent from three-point range (3.6 three-point attempts per game). The 19-year-old also has favorable advanced numbers, with an offensive rating of 128.4, a defensive rating of 99.9 and .214 win shares per 48 minutes.

Washington is in his second year at Kentucky and, while seen as a versatile offensive threat with a jack-of-all-trades master of none skillset, he’s started to refine his outside shooting — knocking down 39.1 percent of his three-point attempts this season — and that’ll make a world of difference for him if he wants to become a rotation player in the Celtics lineup. He’s an intuitive playmaker, determined rebounder and player who can defend multiple positions on-ball.

He’s not the most athletic player and is slightly undersized for his position. Furthermore, his ability to impact the game on defense when he’s playing off-ball is considered a weakness. Nonetheless, Boston doesn’t need the perfect prospect, just one that can fit the Celtics’ dynamic style.

Standing at 6-foot-8 and weighing 240 pounds, Washington has averaged 12.8 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 1.2 blocks and 0.8 steals this season while shooting 51.8 percent from the field, 39.1 percent from three-point range and 71.7 percent from the free-throw line. Washington averaged 10.8 points, 5.7 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 0.8 steals and 0.8 blocks per game last season while shooting 51.9 percent from the field, 23.8 percent from three-point range and 60.6 percent from the charity stripe.

Boston’s reigning 27th overall pick (from the 2018 NBA Draft) Robert Williams III now has Celtics fans full attention because of his bounce and shot-blocking prowess. However, the center that Givorny projects to Boston with the 27th pick in the 2019 NBA Draft — Croatia’s Luka Samanic — doesn’t strike fear into the hearts of players that are headed to the rim.

Instead, he possesses a versatile offensive skillset that sees him scoring from all three levels, though with inconsistent efficiency. Further, though he’s not an elite athlete like Williams, he’s a solid decision-maker on the defensive end and has shown an ability to defend well on switches in the pick-and-roll.

His mentality and physicality are currently question marks but at 18-years-old, there’s plenty of time for him to grow in both areas.

Boston isn’t a team that needs much but with the likelihood they could lose point guard Terry Rozier, power forward Marcus Morris and center Aron Baynes in free agency, it’s possible that Givorny has the positions of the players the Celtics intend to draft right, at least. Though Johnson is a two-guard, Marcus Smart’s ability to play both guard positions could lead Boston to make him the backup point guard in Rozier’s place next season.

Johnson could either start at shooting guard and make his mark as off-ball threat beside Irving or come off the bench.



bob



.



Both picks make sense for the Celtics next year, at that point in the draft. With Both Morris and Rozier likely gone next year both player could help to fill the void.

the third pick should be a draft and stash player, IMO.
kdp59
kdp59

Posts : 4340
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 59

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by kdp59 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:02 am

some links to write ups on both Johnson and Washington fro anyone interested.

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/2017/08/keldon-johnson.html


http://www.nbadraftroom.com/2017/02/pj-washington.html


http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/luka-samanic.html



kdp59
kdp59

Posts : 4340
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 59

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by NYCelt on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:03 am

bobc33 wrote:
NYCelt wrote:Speaking of the draft...

For anyone who hasn't seen the upcoming 2019 #1 pick, Zion Williamson, Duke plays Wake Forest tonight at 7pm on ESPN.

The entire Duke team is loaded, but Williamson is from another planet entirely.


You may call me a dreamer, but I’m not the only one..........

Ok, Sacramento misses the playoffs, gets lucky in the lottery and ends up with the #2 pick which of course we own.  We then package the #2 pick, the Memphis pick, the Clippers pick, our own pick, Jaylen Brown and the expiring contract of Theo Ratliff for Zion.  Zion makes me forget all about Luka Doncic, becomes the most devastating NBA player since MJ and leads us to seven world titles.......

You heard it here first!

Danny,

You can contact BobC here via our Private Message feature.
Bob assures us he can be in your office with very short notice.
He tells me he's willing to help work this deal as a favor to you and the team, but it might be nice if you could at least get him parking in the secured lot.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Posts : 7846
Join date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by cowens/oldschool on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:49 am

dboss wrote:I think they need a big forward 1st.  Semi can give us defense as good as Morris but Morris is so damn perfect in our offense.  

We really could use a skilled defender and rebounder that can score a little.    Wonder why the Memphis pick is not includer.  Maybe they are worse than we think.  

I think the possibility of packaging 2 for 1 also makes sense if you can get a better prospect.

Interesting stuff.  Keep it coming.

Semi’s defense is a lot better than Morris
cowens/oldschool
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 16278
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by KyleCleric on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:00 pm

We might lose both Baynes and/or Rozier but I’m not so sure. Someone would need to pay more for Rozier than Ainge would be willing to match and that would probably have to be a larger contract than what Smart received. I’m not sure that’ll be out there. As for Baynes, he probably should get more elsewhere but it’s a decent amount, guaranteed, and he seems to like it here. I’m kind of leaning towards both back here next year for now at the QO for Rozier and option for Baynes.

KyleCleric

Posts : 735
Join date : 2012-05-10
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by cowens/oldschool on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:53 pm

KyleCleric wrote:We might lose both Baynes and/or Rozier but I’m not so sure. Someone would need to pay more for Rozier than Ainge would be willing to match and that would probably have to be a larger contract than what Smart received. I’m not sure that’ll be out there. As for Baynes, he probably should get more elsewhere but it’s a decent amount, guaranteed, and he seems to like it here. I’m kind of leaning towards both back here next year for now at the QO for Rozier and option for Baynes.
Baynes signed a new 2 year contract at the start of the season.
cowens/oldschool
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 16278
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by worcester on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:24 pm

Baynes is going nowhere other than to TD Garden.
worcester
worcester

Posts : 6687
Join date : 2009-10-31
Age : 72

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by KyleCleric on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:58 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
KyleCleric wrote:We might lose both Baynes and/or Rozier but I’m not so sure. Someone would need to pay more for Rozier than Ainge would be willing to match and that would probably have to be a larger contract than what Smart received. I’m not sure that’ll be out there. As for Baynes, he probably should get more elsewhere but it’s a decent amount, guaranteed, and he seems to like it here. I’m kind of leaning towards both back here next year for now at the QO for Rozier and option for Baynes.
Baynes signed a new 2 year contract at the start of the season.

2nd year is a player option but as noted above, I don’t expect that he’ll opt out.

KyleCleric

Posts : 735
Join date : 2012-05-10
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by dboss on Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:17 pm

Assuming Boston will spend time developing RW and we do not draft a center

Here is an undersized PF to consider. I see him as a replacement for Morris.

Jordan Nwora - 6' 8" PF out of Louisville

Game log
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4277883/jordan-nwora

Highights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFaRVAtDBLA
dboss
dboss

Posts : 10962
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by dboss on Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:25 pm

Jordan Nwora has played against 8 ranked opponents.
dboss
dboss

Posts : 10962
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by dboss on Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:55 pm

Have been checking out PG Coby White UNC

https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS534US534&ei=xIKBXKGiO4PusQXqgqj4DA&q=coby+white+unc+highlights&oq=coby+white+unc+hi&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l2.31580.32466..34259...0.0..0.99.284.3......0....1..gws-wiz.VkLBcF3zGRE
dboss
dboss

Posts : 10962
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

2019 NBA Draft Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum