bobc33
beat
dbrown4
18 posters

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

2019 NBA Draft - Page 4 Empty Re: 2019 NBA Draft

Post by dboss Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:37 pm

Does anyone like Cam Johnson out of UNC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6vfqy6ikxk
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:08 pm

dboss wrote:Does anyone like Cam Johnson out of UNC?

draftnet has him going #32 in the newest mock

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/cameron-johnson

draftroom has him at #24

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/cam-johnson.html

older guy which means not a lot of upside on one end, but he may be ready to contribute sooner. has been compared to Justin Jackson and...wait for it........RJ Hunter!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:40 pm

kdp59 wrote:
dboss wrote:Does anyone like Cam Johnson out of UNC?

draftnet has him going #32 in the newest mock

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/cameron-johnson

draftroom has him at #24

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/cam-johnson.html

older guy which means not a lot of upside on one end, but he may be ready to contribute sooner. has been compared to Justin Jackson and...wait for it........RJ Hunter!

Yes I saw those comparisons but I think they are wrong. RJ hit one big shot in the NCAA playoffs but he was never a reliable shooter from distance. Justin Jackson had decent numbers in college but I have watched a lot of film on Johnson and he is a gifted shooter from deep. Looks like Klay Thompson on those catch and shoot opportunities.

Any team that gets this kid gets probably the best shooter in the draft.

So now having checked him out I like Sekou Doumbouya at 14 or
Mfiondu Kabengele, I would take Cameron Johnson at 20 and hope and pray he is still on the board and would even consider using 20 and 22 to move up to get him. This kid is a better pure shooter than either Brown and Tatum were coming out of college. In the 2nd round I would draft PG Jaylen hands out of UCLA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0-McJwAzTc

This would give you an athletic PF, a great shooter and a solid PG

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:55 pm

Other PG's available late in draft

Shamorie Ponds - has a little james harden to his game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzAMGC7W538
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:03 pm

dboss wrote:Other PG's available late in draft

Shamorie Ponds -  has a little james harden to his game

Do you mean that he has trouble running microwaves and causes kitchen fires in the process?

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:21 pm

gyso wrote:

Do you mean that he has trouble running microwaves and causes kitchen fires in the process?

Ha..
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:16 am

gyso wrote:

That's why he isn't a lottery pick.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:45 am

Boston Celtics draft 2019: Kevin Porter Jr., with advice from Isaiah Thomas, hopes to showcase his motor

Posted Jun 4, 4:51 PM

By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com

BOSTON -- Out of all the draft prospects cycling through the Auerbach Center during the pre-draft process, former USC guard Kevin Porter Jr. has one advantage over most: He can pick the brain of former Boston Celtic Isaiah Thomas -- as well as a number of other current and former NBA players -- any time he wants.

Porter is a part of the tight-knit Seattle basketball community that produced Thomas, Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson and many others. After his workout with the Celtics on Tuesday, Porter told MassLive that Seattle basketball players pick up tricks from one another constantly, and he has learned from not only Crawford, Thomas and Robinson, but also Zach LaVine and former NBA player Terrence Williams.

“I got a chance to play with all of them, and they taught me so much,” Porter said. “Really, I’m just grateful to be the youngest, to get their techniques and mechanics right.”

Porter, who will be 19 for the entirety of his rookie season, didn’t reach out to Thomas prior to his Celtics workout, but he plans to in the near future after all of his workouts are done. In the interim, he said Thomas told him to remain level-headed through the process.

“'Don’t get too high, don’t get too low,'” Porter said, quoting Thomas’ advice. “Of course, you’re going to get adrenaline running through you. These are people you’ve never been in front of, and it’s a dream come true finally, so of course you’re going to have adrenaline running, but stay calm, just breathe, play your game, play your pace and just have fun. That’s the most important thing they all tell me. If you’re not having fun, you’re not gonna play anywhere to your capability. So just have fun.”

At 6-foot-6 with long arms and plenty of athleticism, Porter is one of the more intriguing guards in the class. He’s a deadly isolation scorer, and he can create his shot in a variety of ways -- step-back triples, mid-range jumpers, floaters in the paint and finishing around the rim. He’s powerfully built, capable of finishing through contact and crashing the offensive glass. Porter can get caught up trying to do too much as a scorer at times, but he has a deep bag of tricks and limitless confidence in displaying them.

Teams need to see significantly more from Porter defensively, however. Off the ball, he lost track of his man frequently at USC, and his frame and athleticism should be more of an advantage than they have been. Meanwhile, his free-throw percentage is so low, it feels like an outlier: 52.2 percent on 2.2 attempts per game.

Porter knows all of the knocks against him, and he’s trying to counteract them.

“I just want (teams) to know I’m a high-motor guy," Porter told reporters. “Whatever they ask, I’ll adapt to it. And really my motor’s been questioned, so I just want to come out and show them that I really love the game and I’m passionate about it. And I work. I work, I work, I work, I work, every day.”

So where does Porter believe his reputation as a low-motor player comes from?

“I was a late bloomer in high school,” Porter said. “So, like, I didn’t really get that national kind of known rep. It was kind of like after my senior year. But locally I always was questioned about my motor and stuff like that. Just because it was -- I wouldn’t say it was too easy or anything like that, but I tended to sometimes take plays off, which I grew out of. So questions have always been asked about me. The people that really don’t know me, I just want to show that I’m a good guy. Off the court, my character’s high. My mom really spent a lot of time raising me. So how I look at it is just I want to represent my mom and myself good, just be myself.”

The Celtics generally are not afraid of swinging big in the draft -- Jaylen Brown is an example of a swing that connected, James Young is an example of one that didn’t. The Celtics could likely acquire Porter with the 14th pick if they decide the potential benefits outweigh the risk.

“You ask the managers and coaches and stuff about them and then, when we bring them into our place, we have a chance to sit down and ask them their version,” Celtics director of player personnel Austin Ainge said, when asked a general question about evaluating potential character issues. “So some people have told us -- you tell us what happened, right? Because everyone deserves to have both side of every story, good and bad. So we can get the kid’s perspective on their season, both on and off the court.”

Asked about Porter specifically, Ainge added: “He’s really talented. Still young, has some growing up to do, but the upside is legit.”

Porter, meanwhile, was taken aback by the elder Ainge -- Celtics GM Danny, who surprised the former USC guard with his personable nature.

“He was just a good dude,” Porter said. “I thought he was going to be really serious, one of those guys who is really serious and into it. He was into it, but he was having fun too. So I really enjoyed that.”

bob
MY NOTE:  19 years old, 6'6", 195# (RJ Hunter height and weight), 6'9" wingspan, 34" max vertical leap.  The Miami Heat are allegedly targeting him.  They pick #13, right before us.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:22 am

pass thanks....especially at #14.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:29 am

kdp59 wrote:pass thanks....especially at #14.

Kdp,

If Danny drafts Admiral Schofield I'd expect the Davis trade to be "on" and that Marcus Smart will be part of the package.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:48 am

I meant pass on Porter

on another note draft note

Jonathan Wasserman: Potential first-rounder Dylan Windler expected to work out for Brooklyn Nets today, Sixers Thursday, Celtics (for 2nd time) this weekend. – via Twitter NBADraftWass
Draft, Dylan Windler, Boston Celtics, Brooklyn Nets
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:09 am

kdp59 wrote:I meant pass on Porter

Jonathan Wasserman: Potential first-rounder Dylan Windler expected to work out for Brooklyn Nets today, Sixers Thursday, Celtics (for 2nd time) this weekend. – via Twitter NBADraftWass

Kdp,

I know you did. My comment was a non sequitur opinion.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:16 am

Drafting at 14 should be a need pick unless the player is too special to pass up.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:18 am

NBA draft room new mock has Cs taking:
14: Tyler Herro
20: Kevin Porter
22: Nic Claxton
51: Jaylen Nowell

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:35 am

KyleCleric wrote:NBA draft room new mock has Cs taking:

thanks for that.

looks like Bitadze is climbing up on mock drafts (#12 at draftroom and #17 at draftnet now) as is Claxton (#22 and #19) after his play at the combine.

could Bitadze be in play at #14 for Danny?

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/goga-bitadze.html

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/goga-bitadze
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:08 am

I could absolutely see Bitadze as someone Danny would take. Offense is perfect for today’s game. Should have enough size and length to guard centers. Don’t know if he’s switchable enough. Baynes is so maybe Bitadze can be, too.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:22 pm

Can't we trade up with someone for Bitadze?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:26 pm

worcester wrote:Can't we trade up with someone for Bitadze?

If Danny wanted to, probably

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:46 pm

KyleCleric wrote:NBA draft room new mock has Cs taking:

These mock draft boards do not take into consideration team needs, thus you have Boston using B2B picks on SG's
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:43 am

Aaron Torres
✔
@Aaron_Torres
Someone in the know just told me Tyler Herro "blew away" the Celtics in his workout this morning. Finished the workout having made 80 of 100 three point attempts. From all accounts, Herro seems to be picking up a LOT of positive buzz throughout the draft process

4:50 PM - Jun 4, 2019

take it with a grain of salt, I suppose.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:09 am

kdp59 wrote:
Aaron Torres
✔
@Aaron_Torres
Someone in the know just told me Tyler Herro "blew away" the Celtics in his workout this morning. Finished the workout having made 80 of 100 three point attempts. From all accounts, Herro seems to be picking up a LOT of positive buzz throughout the draft process

4:50 PM - Jun 4, 2019

take it with a grain of salt, I suppose.

There was another article yesterday on the workout that noted in the 3 min run, Nikeil Walker-Alexander tied the Cs record with it of 29 lengths and that Tyler Herro came in just behind at 28 1/2.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:26 pm

Looks like Boston will draft another Guard/wing but their biggest need is to find a player that can matchup with those long and athletic front court players. With 4 picks total Boston should be able to address there needs.

I tend to get a bit antsy around draft time because I think drafting by Danny may be his least prominent skill. It is hard to blow a top 5 pick but when you draft from the middle down you can miss a lot of talent. There is talent to find and I hope Danny is able to identify hidden gems .
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:10 pm

kdp59 wrote:I meant pass on Porter

Haven’t seen him play, curious as to why you’d pass....assuming you’ve seen him play...???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:26 am

BOSTON -- There may not be a more polarizing talent in this year's NBA draft, than Kevin Porter Jr.

He is a 6-foot-6 shooting guard that NBA scouts agree has top-10 talent and if that were the only basis for making a decision, Porter Jr. would be a no-brainer as a lottery (top-14) pick.

An injury-marred freshman season at USC combined with inconsistent and underwhelming play (9.5 points, 4.0 rebounds, 1.4 assists) was bad enough.

But when you throw in the indefinite suspension he had because of a "personal conduct issue," you can understand why teams are taking a moment to pause an evaluate whether the potential he has talent-wise, is worth the risk.

Celtics bring shooters, scorers to draft workouts Tuesday

"If this guy was red-flagged because of just his injury (he missed seven games due to a thigh injury which he later said he returned to action too soon from it), or an injury in general, you can see a team late in the lottery or middle of the first round taking a flier on him," an Eastern Conference scout told NBC Sports Boston. "But a high lottery pick for this guy? I hope the GM who makes that call has good job security."

Maybe later in the draft, but certainly NOT at 14, IMO.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:23 pm

Kevin Porter Jr., has been described as "the talented, but enigmatic freshman guard for the Trojans."

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/02/12/usc-freshman-kevin-porter-jr-looking-to-regain-footing-after-injuries-suspension/

Enigmatic?  We already have one (or had one, who can tell the future?) of those talented, but enigmatic kind of players.  Do we want another serving of that so soon?  After the taste of the last one hasn't, as of yet, left the palate?

Maybe, as the article suggests, we draft him with one of our later first round picks.  Is he so talented that we can't not take the chance?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next