lots of talk about a Celtic trade coming soon on NBA TV last night

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Re: lots of talk about a Celtic trade coming soon on NBA TV last night

Post by swish on Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:28 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
dboss wrote:Celts have a history of multiple position players.

I see nothing new here Kleen.  I agree that the skill set for centers is more versatile but guys playing 1-4
Have been doing the things you mention for years.

Havilicek was ahead of his time, in his era was the first multipositional positionless all star player....

He had plenty of company on those great Celtic teams of the 60's - Hall of famers like S Jones, Ramsey, Heinsohn, Howell - players that also played more than one position.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:22 pm

Bob, you are probably right, especially if Rob Lob gets some playing time and proves his worth.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:58 pm

One last comment on this, since most of you are missing the point.

That there were exceptional examples of players over the course of a 70+ year history of the NBA that were doing this in this past is not the point. Even the original point that D was making that in his view - Positionless Basketball does not exist. Isn't the point.

The point is - Positionless Basketball is a philosophy that is being taught from youth level to NBA level. It is being championed by MANY mens and womens college basketball coaches (much more than one team), who are recruiting based on this philosophy. It is being spoken about as an aspiration for future teams by many NBA coaches (from Kerr and Stevens, to Nurse and Luke Walton)

No one said it is a done deal. No one said there will never be other positions on the court or that a coach wont modify his system if he has a chance to get his hands on a transformative big man or classic point guard. But it is (like 3 point shooting) something that is is being drilled and coached at all levels and will become more of a trends with each passing year.

Forgive me if I take the word of Brad Stevens,Nick Nurse, Luke Walton, Coach K and John Calapari as a bit more authoritative on the subject.

Back to the trade talk.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:55 am

I’m certainly not disagreeing with you that there is a new age in basketball being played right now with much different strategy then the past, you would also have to include 3 ball and pace and space as concepts used that didn’t exist to this extent 10 years ago. Plus there is more pick and roll than ever before, Jordan and Kobe both shot the 3 ball at around 32%, could a team win today with their 1st go to option shooting that low a %? I don’t know. 

I will say this you can’t have 5 little point guards playing together or 5 bigs playing together in a starting 5 man unit, we’ll you could, but they would get exposed and you couldn’t win, but you might get by with 5 wing types 6’5” to 6’9”. They might be able to pull it off, just my fuckin opinion....so I guess you still need at least 3 positions.

Last edited by cowens/oldschool on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
cowens/oldschool
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:57 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:I’m certainly not disagreeing with you that there is a new age on basketball being played with much different strategy then the past, you could also include 3 ball or pace and space as concepts used that didn’t exist to this extent 10 years ago. Jordan and Kobe both shot the 3 ball at around 32%, could a team win today with their 1st go to option shooting that low a %? I don’t know. 

I will say this you can’t have 5 little point guards playing together or 5 bigs playing together in a starting 5 man unit, we’ll you could, but they would get exposed and you couldn’t win, but you might get by with 5 wing types 6’5” to 6’9”. They might be able to pull it off, just my fuckin opinion....so I guess you still need at least 3 positions.

Cow,

Brad said 4 positions (ball handler, wing, swing, big) and then boiled it down to just 3 (ball handler, wing, big). So there's at least one knowledgeable person who agrees with you.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:03 am

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:I’m certainly not disagreeing with you that there is a new age on basketball being played with much different strategy then the past, you could also include 3 ball or pace and space as concepts used that didn’t exist to this extent 10 years ago. Jordan and Kobe both shot the 3 ball at around 32%, could a team win today with their 1st go to option shooting that low a %? I don’t know. 

Cow,

Brad said 4 positions (ball handler, wing, swing, big) and then boiled it down to just 3 (ball handler, wing, big).  So there's at least one knowledgeable person who agrees with you.

bob

I will say I’m very knowledgeable about food.
cowens/oldschool
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4