POST GAME MIN TIMBER WOLVES - HOME

Go down

POST GAME MIN TIMBER WOLVES - HOME

Post by 112288 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:42 pm

Celtics Wrap: Gordon Hayward’s 35 Points Lifts Boston Over Timberwolves

NESN by Michael McMahon on Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 10:28PM

Well, the Minnesota Timberwolves sure must be glad they don’t have to face Gordon Hayward again this season.

Hayward’s monster second quarter, and clutch shooting in the fourth helped the Boston Celtics take a 115-102 win over the Timberwolves on Wednesday night at TD Garden.

The 28-year-old finished with a season-high 35 points, topping his previous season-high (30) against the Wolves on Dec. 1 in Minnesota.

Terry Rozier had 16 points for the Celtics, whil Al Horford (15), Marcus Morris (12) and Jaylen Brown (10) all finished in double digits. Andrew Wiggins had 31 points for Minnesota, while Karl-Anthony Towns had 28.

The Celtics climb to 22-15, while the Timberwolves climb to 17-21 with the win.

Here’s how it all went down.

STARTING FIVE
PG: Terry Rozier
SG: Marcus Smart
SF: Jayson Tatum
PF: Marcus Morris Sr.
C: Al Horford

ROZIER READY TO GO
Due to the injury to Kyrie Irving, Rozier was making his third start of the season, and he wasted little time making an impact as the Celtics held a 25-21 lead after one quarter.

The guard went 5-for-5 from the floor and had a game-high 11 points.

The C’s led by as many as 10 in the quarter, taking a 21-11 following a three-pointer from Morris and a Rozier layup off the dribble drive with 3:40 to play in the quarter.

The Wolves finished the quarter on a 10-4 run, capped by a 3-pointer from Anthony Toliver.

CELTICS IN COMMAND

The Celtics continued to shoot the lights out, outscoring the T’Wolves 35-21 in the second to take a 60-42 lead into halftime.

The C’s went into the room shooting 60 percent from the floor and was 8-for-17 from three.

After Wiggins made it a one-possession game to start the second, the Celtics flipped the switch, going on a 22-4 run.

Semi Ojeleye pushed the lead to 14 with a three with 7:22 left, then followed it with a two-handed slam off a full-court pass from Smart to give Boston a 43-27 lead with 6:19 left.

Gordon Hayward had 10 points in the final 3:23 of the half. The Celtics led by as much as 22, when Morris hit a stepback three to make it 60-38 with 47.6 seconds remaining.

WOLVES WAKE UP
A monster quarter from Towns helped the Timberwolves climb back, besting the C’s 39-27 and narrowing the Celtics lead to 87-81 heading into the final quarter.

Towns had 20 points in the quarter.

But the Celtics were able to keep the lead thanks to Hayward, who continued his success against Minnesota, leading all Celtics with 28 points through three quarters. The forward made it 75-57 with a corner three with 6:59 left in the third.

Towns narrowed the lead to 10 with a three to make it 77-67 with 4:36 left in the third.

After a Dario Saric three narrowed the C’s lead nine, Hayward pushed it back to double digits with a left-handed lay in to make 83-72 with 2:56 left.

The Wolves continued close the game, capping the quarter on a 7-2 run, with Towns’ fader in the closing seconds making it a 6-point game.

HAYWARD SHUTS IT DOWN
The C’s was able to hold off the second-half push from the Wolves, but the Celtics were able to close out the win with a dominant finish from Hayward

The 28-year old pushed the C’s lead back up to double digits with a pull-up jumper to make it 101-90 with 5:54 to play. Then hit a three to make it 106-92 with 4:37 left. He then dished to Horford on an alley-oop slam to push the lead to 16.

The Celtics cruised from there

PLAY OF THE GAME
Smart cleared for takeoff

UP NEXT
The Celtics host the Dallas Mavericks on Friday. Tip-off from TD Garden is set for 8 p.m. ET.

Back to top Go down

Re: POST GAME MIN TIMBER WOLVES - HOME

Post by TheHat on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:59 pm

Celtics looked like all the other teams we've seen lately, able to drive to the hoop for layups all night. Bad Minnesota defenders? I guess Celts have been bad too. Other than the third quarter, they seemed to offer some resistance to towns.
TheHat

TheHat

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:23 am

Welcome back Gordon.
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:55 am

112288 wrote:Celtics Wrap: Gordon Hayward’s 35 Points Lifts Boston Over Timberwolves

NESN by Michael McMahon on Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 10:28PM

Well, the Minnesota Timberwolves sure must be glad they don’t have to face Gordon Hayward again this season.

Hayward’s monster second quarter, and clutch shooting in the fourth helped the Boston Celtics take a 115-102 win over the Timberwolves on Wednesday night at TD Garden.

The 28-year-old finished with a season-high 35 points, topping his previous season-high (30) against the Wolves on Dec. 1 in Minnesota.

Terry Rozier had 16 points for the Celtics, whil Al Horford (15), Marcus Morris (12) and Jaylen Brown (10) all finished in double digits. Andrew Wiggins had 31 points for Minnesota, while Karl-Anthony Towns had 28.

The Celtics climb to 22-15, while the Timberwolves climb to 17-21 with the win.

Here’s how it all went down.

STARTING FIVE
PG: Terry Rozier
SG: Marcus Smart
SF: Jayson Tatum
PF: Marcus Morris Sr.
C: Al Horford

ROZIER READY TO GO
Due to the injury to Kyrie Irving, Rozier was making his third start of the season, and he wasted little time making an impact as the Celtics held a 25-21 lead after one quarter.

The guard went 5-for-5 from the floor and had a game-high 11 points.

The C’s led by as many as 10 in the quarter, taking a  21-11 following a three-pointer from Morris and a Rozier layup off the dribble drive with 3:40 to play in the quarter.

The Wolves finished the quarter on a 10-4 run, capped by a 3-pointer from Anthony Toliver.

CELTICS IN COMMAND

The Celtics continued to shoot the lights out, outscoring the T’Wolves 35-21 in the second to take a 60-42 lead into halftime.

The C’s went into the room shooting 60 percent from the floor and was 8-for-17 from three.

After Wiggins made it a one-possession game to start the second, the Celtics flipped the switch, going on a 22-4 run.

Semi Ojeleye pushed the lead to 14 with a three with 7:22 left, then followed it with a two-handed slam off a full-court pass from Smart to give Boston a 43-27 lead with 6:19 left.

Gordon Hayward had 10 points in the final 3:23 of the half. The Celtics led by as much as 22, when Morris hit a stepback three to make it 60-38 with 47.6 seconds remaining.

WOLVES WAKE UP
A monster quarter from Towns helped the Timberwolves climb back, besting the C’s 39-27 and narrowing the Celtics lead to 87-81 heading into the final quarter.

Towns had 20 points in the quarter.

But the Celtics were able to keep the lead thanks to Hayward, who continued his success against Minnesota, leading all Celtics with 28 points through three quarters. The forward made it 75-57 with a corner three with 6:59 left in the third.

Towns narrowed the lead to 10 with a three to make it 77-67 with 4:36 left in the third.

After a Dario Saric three narrowed the C’s lead nine, Hayward pushed it back to double digits with a left-handed lay in to make 83-72 with 2:56 left.

The Wolves continued close the game, capping the quarter on a 7-2 run, with Towns’ fader in the closing seconds making it a 6-point game.

HAYWARD SHUTS IT DOWN
The C’s was able to hold off the second-half push from the Wolves, but the Celtics were able to close out the win with a dominant finish from Hayward

The 28-year old pushed the C’s lead back up to double digits with a pull-up jumper to make it 101-90 with 5:54 to play. Then hit a three to make it 106-92 with 4:37 left. He then dished to Horford on an alley-oop slam to push the lead to 16.

The Celtics cruised from there

PLAY OF THE GAME
Smart cleared for takeoff

UP NEXT
The Celtics host the Dallas Mavericks on Friday. Tip-off from TD Garden is set for 8 p.m. ET.

"The Celtics climb to 22-15, while the Timberwolves climb to 17-21 with the win." ??? Is there an editor in the house?

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:48 am

what did Van gundy say at one point?

some players put up meaningless stats and others have winning moments (or something similar).

he was talking about KAT and Wiggins on the first and Smart about the other as I recall.

watching this game I remember the old discussions when Rondo would be out for stretches and the team played better without him. Maybe Irving best get back quick this time. I mean we did look pretty good last year without him too......LOL.

Could we really have a potential debate about  resigning Morris AND Rozier instead of Irving?

I don't think  it would be considered wise in the "Stars win in the NBA" we have today for sure.

But like back in the day With Rondo, the ball seems to move better and the "lesser" players seem to play better (step up?) when Irving is out . Interesting thought experiment at the least.

I should note my wife calls me a $hit stirrer sometimes...so there IS that!!!
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:05 am

GH found his range last night. It is a good sign for him and a great benefit for the Celtics. Maybe his biggest hurdle at this point is above the neck. Confidence may be the key that unlocks his game. With no Kyrie on the floor he was really looking for his shot. He has been somewhat passive on offense.

This was a solid win against bad team. It goes in the same category as those 8 straight victories against the scrubs of the NBA. It may be wise to not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Terry played well in absence of Kyrie but it would be prudent to remember that terry has been up and then down all year long.

I do not like listening to Van Gundy and most of the time I do not agree with him. He was spot on about how Marcus impacts the game but not necessarily the stat line. However he was equally wrong to disparage the performance of KAT. Afterall he went for 28 Points, 12 rebounds and 7 assists, Him and Wiggins who had a season high with 31 points kept the Wolves in the game.

kdps59 you can stir stuff up if you like but Danny is not going to let his only elite player go so he can resign Rozier and Morris. There have been far too many games played this year where it was so obvious that Kyrie is special and Terry is not. Morris is having a career year at age 29 but again his value does not compensate for losing a player of Kyrie's abilities.

Danny is going to either use some of his first rounders after the season to replace both Rozier and Morris or he is going to go after Anthony Davis. The Celtics need a highend big.

Memphis lost again last night.

dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:27 am

A win is a win but I'm underwhelmed by this one too.  We're without Baynes and Kyrie but they were without Teague, DRose and Covington.  This should have been a 20 point blow out.

Towns had a 20 point 3rd quarter.  I know we're without Baynes and Al is on minutes restrictions but damn!  What a quarter!  7 assists too.  It was like watching vintage Walton out there.  He really showed me something there.

I don't know why but I'm just not that big a fan of Wiggins.  I don't know why not, he had 31 last night on a very efficient 10-18, I just don't.  I'll have to ruminate a bit on this.

Speaking about efficient, how about G?!  If you thought Wiggins' 31 on 10-18 was efficient there's Hayward's 35 on 14-18.  He missed his first 2 shots in the 1st quarter, was 4-4 in the 2nd, was 7-8 in the 3rd quarter and 3-4 in the 4th.  Towns had a 20 point 3rd quarter.  Hayward had a 15 point 3rd quarter.  They won that quarter 39-27.  Imagine how much uglier that would have been if Hayward hadn't gone off.  5 assists too.  We saw him do this to Minny, in Minny, earlier this year.  Then he falls back into his underachieving season, so I'm loathe to announce "he's back!".  Once bitten, twice shy but if he can do this, he can do this.  35 points in 32 minutes.  Best game as a Celtic by Hayward, by far.  One area where he has been solid all season long is at the line.  He is now 11th in the league in ft% at 89.3%.

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday
Marcus Morris’ neck was so stiff in postgame scrums, he was turning his whole upper torso to answer questions.

reply retweet like

Tatum was invisible again.  3-11, 3 rebounds.  I don't think Kobe broke his game, as some are suggesting.  If he had Tatum would have been 3-22 because he wouldn't have had any conscience.  I'm thinking it's more that Mr. Tatum has now been scouted.  If you'll notice, he's not breaking as many ankles as he did last year.  Defenders are staying on their feet and in front of him more and he has to take more contested shots.  Not the end of the world, it's part of the natural progression of young players.

Marcus Smart is one tough hombre.  I thought he separated his shoulder, turns out it was a stinger.  He went into the lockerroom with his arm hanging like it was dead but was back on the court in no time.  Terry Rozier wasn't surprised though.  “I ain’t surprised at all,” Rozier said, smiling. “I could have bet somebody 100 push-ups he was coming back.”  “He’s tough as nails,” Rozier said. “Something’s gotta be broken for him to be sitting out. Like, broken.”  8 assists and only 2 turnovers.  Remember when he first came in the league and we're thinking "this kid can't play point in the NBA!  He's too slow, he doesn't have the court vision! Etc"?  Well, he's a very solid NBA point guard.  Nobody looks up court quicker than him.  He's made half court assists while flat on his back because he knows where everybody is even as he's staring up at the banners.  

Morris got hit in the neck.  It was very stiff post-game.  According to him he's "sore as Hell.  It feels like I’ve got a crick in my neck. Should be cool".  He'll be evaluated today.  I will almost guarantee it'll be worse, that's how it works.  If you're stiff right one hour or less afterwards it will almost certainly be even stiffer the next morning as your body (over) reacts.  

Rozier with 16 on efficient shooting and 5 steals.  Rozier plays better as a starter.  It's obvious, and if it's obvious to me it's obvious to Danny and every other GM in the league.  Hopefully that raises his trade value.

In fact, the only Celtics who didn't have good shooting nights were Morris (3-9, 2-7 from 3) and Tatum (3-11, 0-3 from 3).  You know, some of our top shooters...

Yabby getting minutes with our thinness at 5.  Man, what a tough, tough way to get minutes.  "Hey kid!  Our first and second string centers are out or limited, so go in there and try and stop Karl Anthony-Towns".  I thought he did ok, considering.  He had a couple of nice offensive moves that were NOT 3pters (nice to see).  He had cute baseline drop step that he used after bullying his way close to the paint for one.  He wasn't put in there for offense, he was sent in as cannon fodder until Horford could go back in and I thought he did as well as any underdeveloped player like him can do given the circumstances.  Does he have a future in the NBA?  I don't know.  He shows flashes and then poof!  It's hard to tell considering he has only played a total 357 NBA minutes in his entire career, 122 this year.  It's a "you can't get a job without experience and you can't get job experience without a job" thing.  Is he not getting minutes because he's not good enough and because he's 4th on the depth chart or is he not getting the minutes because he's underdeveloped as a player because he's not getting the minutes?

7 different Celtics with a block, Horford with 2, both of them beauties on Towns at the rim.

76 fgas is NOT good.  We shot 59% on the game.  Our final point tally should have been over 130.

Still, no Kyrie, no problem.  Can't carp too much about that.  We've been worried about our dependence on Kyrie for our offense.  It looks like that fear was a bit overblown.  Without Kyrie we still have the team that got to the EC Finals last year, the problem is to get some of them to come off the bench still play like they did last year when they started.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071234

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:42 am

Bob,

I agree that this should have been a 20 point + blow out. This team is missing one element that great teams have..............A KILLER MENTALITY!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:02 pm

It took a while for Brad to adjust to KAT.

Once they brought the double team immediately, it forced him to find the open man and then it was all about how quickly Boston could rotate over. This has been a rarely used defensive strategy but one they they will need to perfect.

The most important thing about this game was the way GH shot the ball. The Celtics offensive struggles can disappear if he can shoot the ball like that. He is going to get open looks. He just needs to knock them down on a regular basis.

JT is trying to go one on one a bit too much.
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:22 pm

Remember how this team was crap for more than 20 years?
Remember how it took Danny Ainge totally fleecing the Nets to start to get them back on track?
Remember the period from 20010 to 2015, before IT came and played out of his mind down the stretch?

This is fun. We have a great young team that is growing and learning more every night. They have ups and downs, but overall the basketball is exciting (the loss to Houston was a very entertaining shootout) and we are right in the mix.

Some of you need to go for a walk
or spend a night with the wife with your phone and TV off
or pour a nice 5 finger Macallan and RELAX.

mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:47 pm

Amazing!

A friend of mine told me the very same thing this morning!

LOL

mrkleen09 wrote:Remember how this team was crap for more than 20 years?
Remember how it took Danny Ainge totally fleecing the Nets to start to get them back on track?
Remember the period from 20010 to 2015, before IT came and played out of his mind down the stretch?

This is fun.  We have a great young team that is growing and learning more every night.  They have ups and downs, but overall the basketball is exciting (the loss to Houston was a very entertaining shootout) and we are right in the mix.

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:00 am

Thanks for the advice, MrKleen.  I'm relaxing more as TOR was torched by SAS last night and by a bigger margin than our loss to them.  I don't feel as bad about us losing to SAS on the road.  I was pretty po'ed at the time of the loss though.  NEVER count a Pop Team out...EVER!

db
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:42 am

mrkleen09 wrote:Remember how this team was crap for more than 20 years?

This is fun.  We have a great young team that is growing and learning more every night.  They have ups and downs, but overall the basketball is exciting (the loss to Houston was a very entertaining shootout) and we are right in the mix.

The KG- Pierce years were great too!!
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:43 am

dbrown4 wrote:Thanks for the advice, MrKleen.  I'm relaxing more as TOR was torched by SAS last night and by a bigger margin than our loss to them.  I don't feel as bad about us losing to SAS on the road.  I was pretty po'ed at the time of the loss though.  NEVER count a Pop Team out...EVER!

db

Pop is unbelievable!!!! He should be coach of the year.
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:26 pm

He clearly extracts the most with what he is dealt, regardless of the level of talent.

db
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down