The Memphis Pick

Go down

The Memphis Pick Empty The Memphis Pick

Post by bobheckler on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:38 pm

Started a thread to track the Sacto pick, this one is to track the Memphis pick.

Here's the deal:

If 2019 Memphis pick is Top 8 Protected (i.e. 9-30), it belongs to Boston.  If it is 1-8 then the pick rolls forward to 2020 and is Top 6 Protected (i.e. 7-30 goes to Boston).  If Memphis' first round pick in 2020 is 6 or higher then it rolls forward one more year to 2021 and is completely unprotected.

Memphis is the 9th oldest team in the NBA as of the start of the season.  That average is affected by Vince Carter, but he can't drag it TOO far down single-handedly.  (Boston is the 18th oldest, 12th youngest).  The top players on Memphis are Marc Gasol (33 years old, $25.5M/year through 2020) and Mike Conley (31 years old, will be making >$30M through the 2021 season.  $34.5M in 2021, virtually guaranteeing he is untradeable).  Furthermore, Chandler Parsons will be making $25M/year through 2020 and, coupled with his chronic injuries, is absolutely untradeable.  He's 30 years old and has played a total of 46 minutes this year, a grand total of 1432 minutes in almost 2 1/2 years in Memphis.

Rumor is that Omri Casspi and teammate Garrett Temple fought in the locker room after the Detroit loss.

As of 1/3/19 Memphis is in the #13 with just 2 1/2 games separating them from 8th (which is where we roll forward to next year)

Lottery Seed.....Team..................Record...........GB   
14...................Sacto..................19-18............-
13...................Memphis............18-19...........1
12...................Dallas.................18-19............1
11...................Utah...................18-20............1 1/2
10...................Brooklyn..............18-21...........2
9....................Orlando...............17-20............2
8....................Minnesota............17-21............2 1/2

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Memphis Pick Empty Re: The Memphis Pick

Post by dboss on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:20 pm

Bob I think this replicates my teams to watch thread
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:43 pm

I think Danny will have all four picks this year.

Kings _ I still think it will be top 10 at worst and I HOPE top 5.

Memphis

Clippers

and our own pick.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:37 pm

kdp59 wrote:I think Danny will have all four picks this year.

Kings _ I still think it will be top 10 at worst and I HOPE top 5.

Memphis

Clippers

and our own pick.

Yep all 4 picks are still in play. I think the Memphis pick may end up being better than the Sacto pick. The Kings look better in this age of high octane offense and the Grizzlies struggle to score. I either case Boston cannot absorb 4 first rounders but they will certainly need to probably replace Terry and MM. They could combine 2 picks and move up if there is a player that they really want.

Or they could move multiple picks in a trade. Or they could trade down or out of the first round for future first round consideration and/or 2nd rounders.

If Robert Williams can develop into a defensive minded center and rebounder they may not go after Davis. They can just replace Rozier and Morris.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:01 pm

dboss wrote:Bob I think this replicates my teams to watch thread

dboss,

Sorry about that. I'll copy my post over to your thread.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:57 pm

Memphis has lost 8 out of their last 10 games and has a hard upcoming schedule.
They don’t play any of the 5 dreadful teams (Pho, Cle, NY, Chi, Atl) until February. Memphis could finish with the 7th or 8th worst record in the league.

As for Sacramento, that could be a top 10 pick. But other than ping pong ball luck, there’s a very small chance Sacramento will fall off a cliff and be worse than the Hawks. There’s 8 games separating Sac from the 5th worst record.

The Clippers are 5-9 in their last 14 games. Their playoff chances and Boston’s pick are to be determined much later in the season.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:07 pm

tjmakz wrote:Memphis has lost 8 out of their last 10 games and has a hard upcoming schedule.
They don’t play any of the 5 dreadful teams (Pho, Cle, NY, Chi, Atl) until February. Memphis could finish with the 7th or 8th worst record in the league.

As for Sacramento, that could be a top 10 pick. But other than ping pong ball luck, there’s a very small chance Sacramento will fall off a cliff and be worse than the Hawks. There’s 8 games separating Sac from the 5th worst record.

The Clippers are 5-9 in their last 14 games. Their playoff chances and Boston’s pick are to be determined much later in the season.

The Memphis pick is top 8 protected so they need to finish no worse than 9th
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:55 pm

dboss wrote:
tjmakz wrote:Memphis has lost 8 out of their last 10 games and has a hard upcoming schedule.

The Memphis pick is top 8 protected so they need to finish no worse than 9th

Dboss,

Or they finish 8 or higher and we wait another year and it's only top 6 protected. Considering how many picks we have, and it becomes less protected next year, I wouldn't mind pushing that one back a year

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde on Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:26 am

I would think that Ainge has no plan to draft four first round picks this June. No way can the Cs roster absorb four rookies (all with guaranteed contracts) for the 2020 season and still consider the team as a legitimate championship contender. I, for one, do not want to even think about next year becoming another rebuilding year with the roster that we should project.

Rookies are rookies and very few make any type of immediate contributions to a good team from year to year even if drafted in the top eight picks. It certainly appears that most of his four picks are going to fall further below the top eight so each of these guys would have to be expected to perform much more like Rob Williams (he is not a bad player, but has not yet been a major rotation contributor as yet) than Jason Tatum (who played to a much higher level earlier throughout his rookie season).

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:54 am

I would suggest we consolidate posts on this topic onto a single thread. DBoss pointed out that I duplicated his thread called "Teams To Watch". I didn't want to just delete this thread because other people expressed their views here and I didn't want to take it upon myself to censor their thoughts when their thoughts weren't violating any board policy.

Either way is fine, although I think DBoss' thread came first and therefore deserves preeminence.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down