The Resurrection of Jaylen Brown's Reputation?

4 posters

Go down

The Resurrection of Jaylen Brown's Reputation? Empty The Resurrection of Jaylen Brown's Reputation?

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:01 am

We all know Jaylen has been in a slump this year.  Some of that goes to his injured hand but, still, pretty bad.  Or is it?

LINE 1 = 2017-2018 SEASON
LINE 2 = 2018-2019 SEASON-TO-DATE
LINE 3 = LAST 5 GAMES

MPG.....PTS/GM......FGA/GM......FG%........3PTFGA/GM........3PTFG%.........FTAS/GM.....FT%......RPG......APG......TOPG.....BPG.....SPG
30.7----14.5--------11.5---------46.5-------4.4----------------39,5------------3.3----------64.4-----4.9------1.6------1.8------.4------1.0
26.6----12.2--------10.6---------44.3-------3.7----------------29.5------------2.7----------65.9-----4.0------1.5------1.5------.6-------.8
26------17.0--------10.4---------63.5-------3.0----------------46.7------------3.0----------70.6-----4.0------1.2------1.8------.6-------.8

I know that some people don't like the /36mpg stat, but keep in mind that Jaylen is only playing 87% as many minutes/game as last year, so his gross numbers should be down assuming he is as efficient.  Personally, I think the /36mpg stat is absolutely solid when you are applying it to the same player playing roughly the same number of minutes on the same team under the same coach.  Jaylen has been coming off the bench, so you can argue he's doing this against the other team's 2nd unit, but other than that...

Overall, on a /minute (/36mpg) basis he's off in some areas (e.g. 3pt fg%) but he's doing fine in others (if his 3pt fg% is so much worse, but his overall fg% is close then he must be doing pretty well with 2pt fg%, right?  In fact, his 2pt fg% this year is 52.2%, vs 50.7% last year).

If there's one thing that irks me it's that his ft% hasn't improved significantly.  That has nothing to do with chemistry, role or anything else.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Resurrection of Jaylen Brown's Reputation? Empty Re: The Resurrection of Jaylen Brown's Reputation?

Post by dboss Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:48 pm

I have not been all that concerned about Jaylen Brown. He is still a young developing player.

Did you know that he has lead the Celtics in scoring in 6 games this year. How does that compared to the other scoring leaders...Kyrie 21 times, Tatum 5 times, Morris and Hayward 2 times followed by 1 each for Rozier and Baynes.

This reflects a level of explosiveness on the part of Brown and as he continue on track to be more consistent the Celtics become a much better team. Same scenario applies to GH.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

The Resurrection of Jaylen Brown's Reputation? Empty Re: The Resurrection of Jaylen Brown's Reputation?

Post by worcester Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:20 pm

Bob, for the last 5 games Jaylen's ft% is up about 10% over least year. That's progress.
I was worried about his mental attitude when he was struggling earlier. Now I just think he was physically hurt and has been getting well - hence improved play. He'll be fine. Thanks for another great analysis.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:53 pm

dboss wrote:I have not been all that concerned about Jaylen Brown.  He is still a young developing player.

Did you know that he has lead the Celtics in scoring in 6 games this year.  How does that compared to the other scoring leaders...Kyrie 21 times, Tatum 5 times, Morris and Hayward 2 times followed by 1 each for Rozier and Baynes.

This reflects a level of explosiveness on the part of Brown and as he continue on track to be more consistent the Celtics become a much better team.  Same scenario applies to GH.

Agreed he can get going fast and put up points in bunches once he gets going, he can score in a variety of ways.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down