Morris and Brown Altercation During Timeout?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Morris and Brown Altercation During Timeout? Empty Morris and Brown Altercation During Timeout?

Post by bobc33 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:44 pm

Didn’t see the game tonight, but listening to sports radio on the ride home they mentioned Morris shoved Brown during a timeout and the two had to be separated. A quick read of the “game on” didn’t have any mention of it.

Anyone know more?
bobc33
bobc33

Back to top Go down

Morris and Brown Altercation During Timeout? Empty Re: Morris and Brown Altercation During Timeout?

Post by cowens/oldschool on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:34 am

Much ado about nothing
cowens/oldschool
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Morris and Brown Altercation During Timeout? Empty Re: Morris and Brown Altercation During Timeout?

Post by kdp59 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:46 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/marcus-morris-jaylen-brown-involved-034558022.html

the thing about Morris and Smart is that they EXPECT the rest of the players to play at a certain level. If they don't neither one will accept it.

Thats why I like them both starting and becoming the leaders of this team.

Jaylen has regressed some this season, perhaps it because Smart is starting or his minutes are down. Maybe its just a natural lull with younger players sometimes. Doesn't matter, you play here , you play hard all the time. I like it.

Morris and Smart are both hot heads though!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:27 am

Based on the game last night everybody could have been shoving everybody because everybody was missing defensive assignments.  Including Smart and Morris.  There was a lot of non-defense being played last night with the Heat putting 6 guys in double figures.

There is no time to be pushing your own teammates around when your team is being pushed around by your opponents.  That is not real leadership.  That is a distraction that should not be tolerated.

kdp59 you like it. I do not like it. There is some distance between holding your teammates accountable and initiating a physical confrontation during a game when your TEAM is being throttled.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:46 am

Just to be clear, I just like the being held accountable part.

I didn't see the video, but agree that shoving teammates is not a good idea.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:06 am

kdp59 wrote:Just to be clear, I just like the being held accountable part.

I didn't see the video, but agree that shoving teammates is not a good idea.

The video is embedded in the link. It was a minor shove but Smart had to restrain Jaylen. Kyrie is looking on with a disgusted look on his face. Jaylen is not the type of dude that is going to be motivated by intimidation.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:48 am

Morris is a punk
cowens/oldschool
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:56 am

Note: Jaylen was smiling so it is really a non issue.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:00 am

dboss wrote:Note: Jaylen was smiling so it is really a non issue.

Glad kid has that demeanor, already more mature than a vet.
cowens/oldschool
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:09 pm

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/01/11/ainge-responds-to-marcus-morris-jaylen-brown-dust-up/

Ainge responds to Marcus Morris-Jaylen Brown dust-up
Teammates were recorded having a heated disagreement during Thursday’s loss

By STEVE BULPETT | stephen.bulpett@bostonherald.com | Boston Herald
PUBLISHED: January 11, 2019 at 3:19 pm | UPDATED: January 11, 2019 at 4:31 pm

ORLANDO — The Celtics have moved on to central Florida from Thursday night’s loss in Miami. And Danny Ainge is hoping, too, that Jaylen Brown and Marcus Morris have moved on from their confrontation during the second quarter of that game.

During a timeout at 7:12 of the second quarter, video posted on social media by a fan sitting behind the Celts’ bench showed Brown and Morris quarreling. When the talk appeared to get more heated and they got closer, Marcus Smart stepped between the two and Morris shoved Brown as they were being separated.

The situation seemed to be precipitated by an earlier sequence where Brown was blocked by Derrick Jones Jr., who completed the play by taking a pass from Dion Waiters for a fast break layup. Brown was slow to get back on defense, and Morris clapped in his direction, exhorted him and said something in response to the events.

The “conversation” clearly got more intense during the timeout less than a minute later with the Celtics trailing the Heat, 35-32.

And while such incidents aren’t necessarily uncommon in the NBA, it’s true, as well, that just as it wasn’t a good look when Kevin Durant and Draymond Green got into it during a Warriors game earlier this season, the optics weren’t great in the milder form here as the Celtics seek to match their game to expectations.

Ainge was well aware of the situation when speaking with the Herald today.

“I honestly didn’t think anything of it,” the club’s president of basketball operations said in a phone conversation. “I like Marcus’ and Jaylen’s character and personalities and feistiness, and, like, I just think nothing of something like this.

“It’s something where those things happen to best friends even. Heck, I remember those things happening to (Rajon) Rondo and Perk (Kendrick Perkins). You know, they’re best buddies, but it’s just the heat of the battle, and I didn’t have a second thought about it.”

Ainge clearly was not a fan of Brown being lax getting back on defense, and neither, it seems, is Brad Stevens, who removed him from the game. Brown did not return until the last 37 seconds of the third quarter, though Stevens said that was because the group on the floor was engineering a comeback. Brown played just 13:50.

“Everybody has those moments, and those are way more of a concern,” said Ainge is the defensive lapse. “But I know that my coach calls guys out on those things and shows them on film and manages those things really well. But, you know, sometimes it’s good to have team leadership and call guys out on things that they don’t like seeing in the course of a game. I think there can be benefits from getting called out on that by a teammate. I don’t have a problem with it.

“I just feel like in last night’s game — I don’t sense it all of the time — but it did seem like last night that, and not just Jaylen, there were a few possessions that I noticed where missed shots led into bad defense. And we can’t just have our energy determined on how many shots we make. It’s got to be consistent. We’ve got to dig down and become the defensive team that we were there in the third quarter. There’s a remarkable difference in how we played when we were making a nice run defensively and the way we started the game. There was a big difference.”‘

According to player sources, the Celtics — like most every team (see: Golden State) — has had its share of disagreements this season. Usually with the Celts, it’s been said that one player will make a critical remark about another’s play, and the latter will get defensive and say something in response. But in all cases thus far, it’s been pointed to as a positive that the issues do not linger into the next day.

Ainge wouldn’t address that directly, but said, “We have guys with good character. We have good guys. So I’m not worried about those things building and festering.

“I’ve had a few guys shove me in my day,” he added with a laugh. “We all got called out as players by teammates, and we did our share of calling out teammates when things weren’t going right.”

But because this incident was more public than others, it is bound to receive greater scrutiny as the Celtics continue their road trip against the Magic Saturday night.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:06 pm

This entire episode is a bag of bullshit.  

Earlier today I decided to take a look at the Play that upset Mr Senior III.  Here is exactly what happened.  The Celtics were on a break with Terry Rozier leading the charge.  He was a bit late giving up the ball but found Jaylen on the left side running to the rim.  Jaylen went for the layup and it appeared he got fouled but it was not clear if that happened.  He missed the shot but battled for the offensive rebound and went up again on the left side and he got hit in the head and missed the shot.  No call and the Heat were off and running.  Jaylen was buried under the basket and touched his forehead where he was fouled.   He was not running back full speed.

The Heat got the ball in the post not sure who it was while  Derrick Jones Jr. was breaking to the rim where he received the pass and layed it in.  In the meantime Morris was velcroed to the passer like Welches Grape Jelly on the side of the jar.  Morris turned to Jaylen, clapped his hands and said something to him.  Then during the timeout Morris said something to Jaylen and gave him a little shove.

This cannot be a big deal.  Morris is the last person on earth that should complain about not getting back in a timely manner.  You'll have seen it countless times.  Morris goes for a layup and a miss and ends up on the floor.   He rarely gets back in  the play because he is laying on the floor bitching for a foul.

This article is less than complete.  Not only did Brown go to the bench so did Morris.  The Celtics continued to play while Jaylen sat next to Morris on the bench.

This is just another round of bullshit to stir up a controversy that does not exist.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:35 pm

God, I remember Danny getting into it with almost everyone!!! He was a ball hog, took terrible shots at times, wouldn’t give it up, and faced the wrath of Bird and McHale and even DJ. This crap happens all the time. Especially in this day and age. Unfortunately, it happened on a night that TNT.was doing the game and gave Big Mouth Barkley some fodder to preach off of. He has been ragging on the Celtics all year.

I will say one thing, If you watch the play, Brown blows the layup and just lags back and does not defend his man who drives to the basket for an easy two. I don’t blame Morris for yelling at him seeing as this was the topic of conversation during “The closed door meeting” we all heard about. It should never happen in publc but...it did. Remember IT and his outbursts on the bench?

Let’s not go swallowing any toxic drinks tonight because the Celtics lost. One game, let’s hope they go out tomorrow and play. The way they had been playing and beat Orlando. We will get Miami back in two weeks (I will be there that night so don’t worry!!!). Just kidding, but we have to have a little faith here.

At least Durant and Green kept it up after the game, Morris and Brown moved on, I hope.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:12 pm

Rosalie you are correct. Brown lags back and is trailing the play so he was not in a position to defend. Morris was not able to disengage from the screen.

Morris is the last person to complain about this. He spends more time on the floor than a Persian rug.

In the end this is really a media manufactured controversy. When a team gets their butts kick there is enough blame to go around. All around.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:35 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Morris is a punk

Morris is anything BUT a punk.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:37 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:

Brown, who flex’s when your team is down 15 points. That’s real mature.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:17 am

Danny Ainge is not worried about Marcus Morris-Jaylen Brown altercation

NBC SPORTS BOSTON By NBC Sports Boston Report January 11, 2019 4:37 PM

During a second quarter timeout Thursday in the Celtics' 115-99 loss to the Heat, a fan video captured an altercation between Marcus Morris and Jaylen Brown ending with the former shoving the latter.

According to NBC Sports Boston's Chris Forsberg, the altercation stemmed from Morris' frustration with Brown not getting back on defense and giving up a layup. Morris told Brown to "play harder" and the two had to be separated.

Danny Ainge spoke to the Boston Globe Friday and did not seem too worried about it.

It’s two good kids that are competitive. They both want the same thing. Emotions happen in games, and I’m not worried about it.

Ainge also mentioned he has not talked with either player about the altercation and hasn't heard anything about it, so he doesn't feel the need to get involved.

Brown did not end up having the best game, finishing with two points on 1-of-5 shooting. The Celtics went on an impressive run to cut an 18-point halftime deficit to 10 heading into the fourth quarter, but Miami's hot shooting from three proved to be too much to overcome.

It is unknown whether Morris will face discipline from the team for the shove, but players are scheduled to meet with reporters on Saturday before their game in Orlando.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:21 am

Every team needs a Morris to kick ass once in a while with teammates that begin to believe that they are GGTTW and I am glad we have him.

We have posted here that Brown is not playing lock down defense at times and his shooting is like a yoyo- up and down. He just may like the hotter weather in New Orleans.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:34 am

Ktronic1 wrote:

Ktronic,

Cowens is just standing up for his boyfriend. LOL.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:44 am

As far as the Jaylen/Morris incident goes I don't see it having any legs.  Game time frustration from losing to a team we should have beat.  That's supposed to bother you.  My problem is with the bigger issue of Jaylen Brown and Terry Rozier just not playing as hard this year, coming off the bench, as they did last year as starters.  I think it's immaturity, letting their egos and personal ambitions undermine their 'tudes, but right or wrong they are clearly "off".  Say one thing about Marcus Morris Sr., he didn't care if he came off the bench, he was the one who coined the nickname "BWA" (Bench With Attitude), or if he starts.  He's playing hard all the time.  He's bringing whatever he's got.  He might have a good game, he might not, but he's going at 100%, all the time while he's on the court. Can we say the same thing about Jaylen Brown and Terry Rozier this year?  This dustup is just a symptom of the underlying problem, it's not the problem.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:01 am

bobheckler wrote:As far as the Jaylen/Morris incident goes I don't see it having any legs.  Game time frustration from losing to a team we should have beat.  That's supposed to bother you.  My problem is with the bigger issue of Jaylen Brown and Terry Rozier just not playing as hard this year, coming off the bench, as they did last year as starters.  I think it's immaturity, letting their egos and personal ambitions undermine their 'tudes, but right or wrong they are clearly "off".  Say one thing about Marcus Morris Sr., he didn't care if he came off the bench, he was the one who coined the nickname "BWA" (Bench With Attitude), or if he starts.  He's playing hard all the time.  He's bringing whatever he's got.  He might have a good game, he might not, but he's going at 100%, all the time while he's on the court. Can we say the same thing about Jaylen Brown and Terry Rozier this year?  This dustup is just a symptom of the underlying problem, it's not the problem.

bob

I think you hit the nail on the head Bob. I think Rozier and Brown's coming off the bench and the minutes they are getting is more of a problem than people think. They had a lot of success last year and probably think they should be getting more run. I know I would especially when you look at the way we have played this year. Of course their play has had a lot to do with it. I really hope Danny makes some type of trade to upgrade our team. We need to trade two for one, or something along those lines. I don't like the idea of losing any of these players for nothing later on. Rozier plays a lot better when he is starting.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:37 am

You may be right, egos have a big influence on some players. For the games since Christmas (or maybe even before) I thought that Jaylen had picked up his game alot. Then Thursday happened, he looked terrible in that game, and hardly played. Supposedly, that team meeting that took place had alot to do with attitude and effort by the young guys. Even Tatum goes thru stretches where, when he shoots and misses, does not get back on defense. This is something that has to come naturally to these guys, they are in the pro's now, college is over, pick up games are done, this is the big time. So the frustration should be spread around. Even Yabusele has this flaw in his game.

Maybe Kyrie is right, they need another veteran on this team, one who will put out every night and show these guys what it is really like to be a pro. Obviously, Kyrie and Al are not getting through to them.

I just do not want to see a knee jerk trade made where we end up with a washed up veteran who will take away from the excitement of watching this team grow up together. Patience is a virtue.....remember that.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:06 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Ktronic1 wrote:

Ktronic,

Cowens is just standing up for his boyfriend.  LOL.

bob

How’s your boyfriend Kelly O doing?
cowens/oldschool
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:07 pm

Ktronic1 wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

Brown, who flex’s when your team is down 15 points. That’s real matur

Don’t be jealous just cause you could never do it....
cowens/oldschool
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:12 pm

112288 wrote:Every team needs a Morris to kick ass once in a while with teammates that begin to believe that they are GGTTW and I am glad we have him.

We have posted here that Brown is not playing lock down defense at times and his shooting is like a yoyo- up and down. He just may like the hotter weather in New Orleans.

So what player on this roster does it every night, Kyrie, Tatum, GH, Al....guess he’s the only player?
cowens/oldschool
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:19 pm

Like I said, Jaylen is taking the load of garbage for all the guys that are slacking off at times. If you listen to Brad, he does not feel the same way. Other than Smart, I believe Jaylen is the player who draws the toughest assignments each game. I am not saying he has been a perfect player, far from it, but there are others who should be sharing this blame.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next