Gordon Hayward admits ankle injury is impacting this part of his game

+3
dbrown4
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Gordon Hayward admits ankle injury is impacting this part of his game Empty Gordon Hayward admits ankle injury is impacting this part of his game

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:18 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/gordon-hayward-admits-ankle-injury-200329002.html

Gordon Hayward admits ankle injury is impacting this part of his game

Darren Hartwell, NBC Sports Boston
20 hours ago

Gordon Hayward admits ankle injury is impacting this part of his game originally appeared on nbcsportsboston.com

Gordon Hayward will play in his 40th game of the season Wednesday night, but he still doesn't resemble the All-Star who averaged 21.9 points for the Utah Jazz two seasons ago.

So, what's holding Hayward back?

The obvious answer is his left ankle, which the Boston Celtics forward brutally injured in the first game of the 2017-18 season. Fifteen months later, Hayward isn't yet 100 percent, as he's lacked aggressiveness amid an inconsistent campaign.

Turns out that ankle has played a role in Hayward's struggles.

"I think most of that is probably from a lack of confidence in going to the basket and challenging bigs -- especially at the beginning of the year," Hayward recently told Bleacher Report's Yaron Weitzman when asked about his poor finishing at the rim this season. "I think that's the last part that's not all the way back yet.

"Moving horizontally, I'm definitely starting to feel like I felt a couple years ago, but vertically I'm still not as confident as I want to be, and I think some of that is a deterrent when I go to the rim."

As Weitzman points out, Hayward is driving to the basket just 5.3 times per game this season, compared to 9.2 times per game in Utah two seasons ago. Not coincidentally, he's attempting an average of just 2.3 free throws per game, down from nearly six per game during the 2016-17 season.

In addition to physical limitations, the 28-year-old also has endured psychological challenges that come with such a brutal injury.

From Weitzman:

"Earlier this season, "I went up to try blocking a shot and came down on my left a little bit awkwardly, and, you know, I felt it," he recalled. The feeling left Hayward spooked."

Hayward has shown signs of progress, following a 35-point outburst against the Minnesota Timberwolves with three double-digit efforts earlier this month. But he scored eight points or fewer in his next three contests, as it appears his ankle still is preventing him from getting over the hump.

The Celtics need Hayward at his best if they want to move up in the competitive Eastern Conference, though. And he's doing all he can to move forward.

"I thought about my leg but only for a second and was able to keep playing," Hayward added. "The time after that, none of that stuff even crossed my mind."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Gordon Hayward admits ankle injury is impacting this part of his game Empty Re: Gordon Hayward admits ankle injury is impacting this part of his game

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:20 am

No shit

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Gordon Hayward admits ankle injury is impacting this part of his game Empty Re: Gordon Hayward admits ankle injury is impacting this part of his game

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:41 am

He's going to come around to 100% very soon...

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:31 pm

Don't understand how anyone could think it wouldn't affect his game.

Try having that gruesome an injury, and not have it be a factor.

Miracle he's back at all, much less this fast.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:01 am

NYCelt wrote:Don't understand how anyone could think it wouldn't affect his game.

Try having that gruesome an injury, and not have it be a factor.

Miracle he's back at all, much less this fast.

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:44 pm

Totally agree. I remember reading one story after he had that injury saying they hoped he would be able to walk right again. So, he is running, and it is taking longer than people have the patience for. Too bad, this is a continuing story that, I hope, will end for him the way he wants and needs it to. He works hard, so I can only say, patience, please, patience
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:59 pm

+1 for Rosalie's comment.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:59 am

I would sit GH and Al tonite, we should have enough depth to take care of business vs Hawks. You knew how Pierce and Bird would respond after bad games, want to see young Tatum go off tonite....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:29 pm

Someone is listening to me, just read GH is out tonite.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:44 pm

Cowens.....Don't let this pump your ego!!!! GH is out because of the stork coming to visit, not because he is being SAT OUT!!!! Just as with other players who's wives have been pregnant and ready to deliver, the player is given one or two games off.

With my luck, he will be out Monday when I go to the game at the Garden. I am a GH fan!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:57 pm

I was a fan on his mom when he was in college. Best looker in the stands. Now his wife is.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:00 pm

I know, your good....did you say stork or storm?

Seriously I would do that on 2nd game of b2b and maybe for Al too depending on match up.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:56 pm

I want them fresh and ready to rumble for playoffs, we are gonna need the all star version of Al and the good GH.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:59 am

I’ve been noticing Kawhi Leonard takes a lot of games off, while obviously a great player. GH is laboring/struggling to get his game/body back to 17 form, we should give him more off days to fully recover both more. Who’s injury was worse Kawhi or GH? So Raptors doing everything possible to keep Kawhi fresh for long haul, we should do same with GH so that he can recover better....

Also this will allow more time for 2 J’s to get their rhythm and game/roles stronger and rolling. Just like the way Smart has gotten his shooting stroke and role in the offense down, like to see same with 2 J’s and with better production, because they can do more. Get them rolling first, then get GH’s role down when he’s stronger and 2 J’s are rolling....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:37 am

Wise advice Cowens.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down