Assists can go either way when Al Horford and Kyrie Irving connect

Go down

Assists can go either way when Al Horford and Kyrie Irving connect Empty Assists can go either way when Al Horford and Kyrie Irving connect

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:45 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/02/assists-can-go-either-way-when-al-horford-and-kyrie-irving-connect.html

Assists can go either way when Al Horford and Kyrie Irving connect

Updated Feb 3, 3:22 PM; Posted Feb 3, 3:22 PM

Assists can go either way when Al Horford and Kyrie Irving connect B7WXFV3K4ZF47EJ2XN7KII6FDY
(Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images) (Maddie Meyer)

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

They typical point guard-big man dynamic is not reciprocal. The big usually does all the screen-setting and the guard does most of the scoring or passing.

This tried and true John Stockton-to-Karl Malone system has worked for generations of basketball players. Every so often, though, the dynamic changes a little when bigs with vision enter the equation. Al Horford’s passing has been big for the Boston Celtics throughout his time in Boston, but his connection with Kyrie Irving opens up a different dynamic of Irving’s game.

“Kyrie did a really good job in the first half, especially,” Brad Stevens said after the game, referencing a second quarter stretch where Horford found Irving for consecutive layups in the midst of a 20-9 Celtics run to regain a lead they’d just lost. “They were playing on top of him on a lot of his cuts; playing on top of him to try to eliminate some action coming up the middle of the court, and he got some back cuts.”

It’s one thing to make a back cut. It’s another to capitalize on that with a pass from a teammate who recognizes it.

“He does a great job moving without the ball and I’m anticipating, so it just really makes my job easier just to make those reads very clearly,” said Horford after the game. “That’s one of this strengths that I feel like he knows how to get in those positions and it’s just easy for me to make the right play.”

Horford makes that right play to Irving more than any other Celtic. He’s assisted on 41 of Kyrie Irving’s makes, which works out to be just over a quarter of Kyrie’s assisted buckets. Irving doesn’t need assists often, but when he does, Horford’s the guy getting them.

“He’s just a smart basketball player," Irving said afterwards. “He’s able to make reads, knowing what he’s been capable of over the years that he’s played in the league, so just trusting him with the pass and trusting him with the decisions.”

“I think obviously we both want to win,” Horford said. “I think we just keep learning how to play with one another. He’s finding me in my spots. I’m obviously seeing the floor and making plays and any time I get a chance to give him the ball to get an open look, I’m going to give it to him.”

This dynamic has existed since the beginning of this pairing. A quarter of Irving’s assisted baskets came from Horford last year, too.

“It’s been pretty good for the last year and a half,” Stevens said. “Al really looks for everyone, but you can tell he’s got a special dynamic there with Kyrie.”

Horford is a guard’s dream on the floor. He had nine assists against the Thunder, five of them for 3′s. His assists led to 23 Celtics points, seven of which belonged to Kyrie. When all else fails, the Horford-Irving connection is a go-to option for the Boston Celtics.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down