Brad Stevens: 'We are in evaluation stage on who's reliable'

+2
NYCelt
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Brad Stevens: 'We are in evaluation stage on who's reliable' Empty Brad Stevens: 'We are in evaluation stage on who's reliable'

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:08 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/brad-stevens-we-are-evaluation-stage-whos-reliable?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs

Brad Stevens: 'We are in evaluation stage on who's reliable'

By A. Sherrod Blakely
March 23, 2019 6:29 PM

There’s more on the line in these final days of the regular season for the Boston Celtics than simply winning games and going into the postseason with momentum.

Celtics coach Brad Stevens had a straight-no-chaser conversation with his players earlier today with a very simple message.

“We are in evaluation stage on who’s reliable,” Stevens told NBC Sports Boston’s Brian Scalabrine. “Like when we get to that moment when we have to know if everyone is going to be on one page doing the exact same thing, who is reliable? Ultimately that’s the end of the story."

Stevens added, “If you don’t have that reliability; If you don’t have that toughness. If you don’t have the ability to move on to what’s next you don’t last very long.”

Having that quality has been a challenge for the Celtics all season, a big reason why Boston came into tonight’s game against Charlotte fifth in the Eastern Conference despite being seen by most as the team to beat in the East.

“We haven’t always shown that this year,” Stevens admitted.

Which is why this final stretch of games is so vital, not only to the team’s overall record but also to who Stevens will lean on when the postseason arrives in less than a month.

“We need to win as many games as we can,” Stevens said. “And every night, whether somebody’s available or not, it’s an opportunity for someone else to step up.”

Tonight it’s rookie Robert Williams III who got his first NBA start tonight in place of Al Horford who was out to resting a sore knee.

Regardless of how tonight’s game plays out, Boston has to show the ability to accept the results and move on to the next game in a relatively seamless manner.

Stevens knows this has been an issue with the Celtics all season.

“So we need to prove it over the next 10 games so we know it going into the playoffs,” Stevens said.

bob
MY NOTE:  Back in the day when I was in corporate management we used to do an annual exercise called "RIF Review".  RIF means "Reduction in Force".  In other words, if you had to rank everybody who worked for you.  Who was the most valuable, the one you would least want to do without and would be the absolute last one you'd lay off?  And who is the first and easiest one to let go?  That is, in essence, what Brad is going through right now with trying to determine who is the one he most needs to have on the floor and who is the least.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens: 'We are in evaluation stage on who's reliable' Empty Re: Brad Stevens: 'We are in evaluation stage on who's reliable'

Post by NYCelt Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:58 pm

I always thought evaluation was a constant, but I guess you run out of things to say when you get a microphone shoved in your face before and after each game.

I suspect by now Stevens and crew know exactly who they can rely on come the playoffs. Perhaps he made that statement hoping it gets heard by his team.

As with any team, the real heavy evaluation will come after the last game of the season. Whenever that may be.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens: 'We are in evaluation stage on who's reliable' Empty Re: Brad Stevens: 'We are in evaluation stage on who's reliable'

Post by Shamrock1000 Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:01 pm

NYCelt wrote:I always thought evaluation was a constant, but I guess you run out of things to say when you get a microphone shoved in your face before and after each game.

I suspect by now Stevens and crew know exactly who they can rely on come the playoffs. Perhaps he made that statement hoping it gets heard by his team.

As with any team, the real heavy evaluation will come after the last game of the season. Whenever that may be.

Yeah - that statement is a bad look for Brad. Begs the question "what the hell have you been evualuating the past 70 games?"

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:14 pm

If he is still evaluating and figuring out his players strength and weaknesses, no wonder no one has a defined enough role except Kyrie and Al.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:55 pm

It is a mind boggling statement. I wouldn't care if he started Brown or Hayward or both of them. Hayward is still probably the smartest player on the team. (basketball smarts) I know Brown is very smart. Brad just needs to shake things up. Put Tatum on the bench and maybe it would wake him up a little. Or maybe put Kyrie, Al, Tatum, Brown, and Hayward. Of course this won't happen. Brad doesn't like change much during the season.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:56 pm

This team should be one fast breaking team also with the young players but we aren't very good at it.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:24 pm

tardust wrote:This team should be one fast breaking team also with the young players but we aren't very good at it.

Two things this team isn't very good at or doesn't know how to do:
1. running the fast break.
2. blocking out.
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down