What Davis getting traded to the Los Angeles Lakers means for the Boston Celtics

5 posters

Go down

What Davis getting traded to the Los Angeles Lakers means for the Boston Celtics Empty What Davis getting traded to the Los Angeles Lakers means for the Boston Celtics

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:17 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/06/anthony-davis-trade-what-davis-getting-traded-to-the-los-angeles-lakers-means-for-the-boston-celtics.html

Anthony Davis Trade: What Davis getting traded to the Los Angeles Lakers means for the Boston Celtics

Updated Jun 15, 10:25 PM;
Posted Jun 15, 7:54 PM

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

Anthony Davis was traded today to the Los Angeles Lakers for Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and three first round picks.

In the end, Davis’ agent Rich Paul pulled off the perfect strategy, scaring the Boston Celtics away from a trade package many thought could have landed the New Orleans Pelicans star.

Marc Stein
✔
@TheSteinLine
The Boston Celtics refused to make Jayson Tatum available in trade talks with New Orleans, league sources say, putting the Lakers in prime position to strike the deal that teams Anthony Davis with LeBron James

1:47 AM - Jun 16, 2019

Jayson Tatum was, by most accounts, the most coveted player by Pelicans boss David Griffin. Boston’s refusal to put him into a deal made Griffin’s choice fairly easy now that we see that haul they got for Davis.

Danny Ainge’s refusal to include Tatum is a clear signal that he took Paul’s threats seriously, and was not willing to push all his chips into the pot for a chance to convince Davis to stay. It’s also a sign that he thinks Tatum has the potential to be a top-line talent, and he’s not willing to lose a player like that for what would amount to nothing.

It also seems clear that Ainge believes Kyrie Irving is leaving. If Ainge believes Davis is a serious threat to be a one-year rental and landing him isn’t going to be enough to keep Irving around, then there’s no reason to give up Tatum.

This pursuit has always been about pairing Irving and Davis. Even at the trade deadline, when Ainge proclaimed the the Celtics and Irving were essentially engaged and the wedding was still on, the thinking was that landing Davis was the move that would cinch Irving’s return. By not seriously pursuing Davis, it shows that Ainge didn’t believe he’d have either player by next July.

Now the next big question for the Boston Celtics is Al Horford’s free agency. Horford enjoys Boston, and by all accounts, he wants to stay with the Celtics. However, losing Irving and not seeing another star join him in Boston could cause him to opt-out of his upcoming $30 million for next season and find a new home.

If he does, Boston can ultimately clear about $28 million in cap room by renouncing all of their free agents (including Marcus Morris, Terry Rozier, Daniel Theis, and Brad Wanamaker. That would leave them with 10 players, including three rookies from this year’s draft, meaning that $28 million would have to be spread out to fill a few roster spots. They could try to lure a restricted free agent (like a Malcolm Brogdon) with some of that money, but they’re not getting someone like Kawhi Leonard.

Boston could also bring back Horford, like I speculated when we built out rosters in this scenario, by making him a long-term offer. If he returns, some combination of Marcus Smart, Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Gordon Hayward, Al Horford, and Aron Baynes would likely start with one of them playing the sixth-man role.

Ainge could create about $14 million in cap room if Horford’s deal begins somewhere in the $15 million range, which he could use to sign someone. That, however, would also require renouncing the rights to Morris, Rozier, Theis, and Wanamaker.

Whether Ainge wants to do that, or run it back with most of last year’s roster and re-sign Morris and Rozier, it’s pretty clear that the team’s future is now in Jayson Tatum’s hands. He, Hayward, and Brown are going to become the team’s primary scoring options with Horford and Smart supporting that with their ability to facilitate.

Ainge will have to build a bench using one of these paths that was laid out. But unless he makes a surprise move for someone like Bradley Beal, Boston’s youth is now their core.

This is the group Irving disparaged early last season. Their rocky relationship might be why Irving seems to be leaving, and why they are the last men standing.

Ainge could have chosen a lot of different avenues along the way, but he has settled on this one. By refusing to add Tatum to this deal, he’s valuing what Tatum can be over the next few years more than what Davis can be for one.

Depending on what Kawhi Leonard does, the East could still be wide open, and the Celtics could still field a competitive playoff team. What they won’t be, though, is the title contender anyone expected them to be.

That’s going to have to wait.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

What Davis getting traded to the Los Angeles Lakers means for the Boston Celtics Empty Re: What Davis getting traded to the Los Angeles Lakers means for the Boston Celtics

Post by kdp59 Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:55 am

so the question is the same for me , that its been.

ARE Rozier and Morris worth more than a player or playerS Danny would likely get for that $14M?

I've said all along, if Irving leaves then bringing back Morris and Rozier is the logical move. and the move that makes the most sense Cap wise.

Now, can Danny get them both back here for Market deals or will they want to go elsewhere after the crap of last season?

Irving is gone....Celtci fans needs to think about how a backcourt rotation of Brown, Smart and Rozier tastes, even if they are unhappy that Rozier talked about how Irving was given the star treatment last year here.

fact is Rozier is probably correct.

Many also don;t like Morris and want someone else, the question becomes WHO...Capela?

we are not getting Capela for nothing, he has a $14M salary and Houston will not take another guard back to go with Harden, Paul and Gordon....I mean come on.

so letting Rozier and Morris go means Danny has to find ROTATIONAL NBA players with no more than $14M....FOR BOTH players.

while not impossible, it is also not likely.

or maybe Celtics fan really think we can TWO rotational NBA players in this draft?

What a Face
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

What Davis getting traded to the Los Angeles Lakers means for the Boston Celtics Empty Re: What Davis getting traded to the Los Angeles Lakers means for the Boston Celtics

Post by NYCelt Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:55 pm

It means nothing to the Celtics.

Griffin had little control over Davis going where he wanted. Boston was never going to be a possibility, and Tatum being in or out of a deal had nothing to do with it.

I covered this further in the topic on AD going to LA. This was a Rich Paul power play. LeBron's childhood friend made a brilliant move on behalf of his client here.

Debating AD going to the Celtics was silly from the start. The real debate is how much influence can Klutch Sports gain?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:04 pm

I would like to shed some of the 1-2 year talent we picked up in last year and the year before draft. Too much marginal talent to hold on to which takes up room for new draftee's in this years crop. Try to package trades for R.J. Hunter, P.J. Dozier, Daniel Theis, Guerschon Yabusele.

Then sign and trade Rozier. Release Brad Wanamaker and Morris. I like Morris but I think fresh talent can help not hurt. Wanamaker really is not your backup guard if you are trying to get to the finals.

Keep Semi Ojeleye Semi Ojeleye and PLAY HIM!

As for Robert Williams, too many questions regarding his knee/circulatory potential issues. He really under performed as a first year guy, looked like a deer in headlights at times. You can probabily get 2 quality big men who could play opening night on a second unit. Package Williams perhaps with Rozer.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:47 pm

I would lean towards bringing Troe back but would probably let Morris walk.

As far as AH is concerned I see no way to a title with him unless you add another big man.  Even so this will be year 4 coming up with Al and we are no closer to a title than we were when we signed him.

If he decides to ink a 3 year deal at a reasonable salary I guess Boston will bite.  But I would not.  I prefer that this be his last year.  The clock is also ticking on GH.  His contract to date has been a huge waste of Cap space.  There will be no more excuses for him this year.  He has to play well.   His contract is untradeable still.  

Danny has a lot of critical decisions to make.  He already made the biggest one by not trading away Smart, Brown and Tatum.  So far so good.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down