20 Under 25: The future is now for Celtics' Robert Williams, the 'Time Lord'

3 posters

Go down

20 Under 25: The future is now for Celtics' Robert Williams, the 'Time Lord' Empty 20 Under 25: The future is now for Celtics' Robert Williams, the 'Time Lord'

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:09 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/20-under-25-future-now-celtics-robert-williams-time-lord

20 Under 25: The future is now for Celtics' Robert Williams, the 'Time Lord'

By Max Lederman August 08, 2019 2:57 PM

Robert “Time Lord” Williams III is more than just a sweet nickname; he’s an athletic outlier. He’s a 6’10” center with a 7’5” wingspan and a 40-inch vertical. That’s not a typo. The young man has ups . . . and considerably upside, as was on display in the limited minutes he played as a 21-year-old rookie for the Celtics last season.

Williams only appeared in 32 games for the C’s during the regular season, but his per minute stats were off the charts. Time Lord averaged 5.1 blocks/36 minutes, which not only led the NBA (among players who played 280+ total minutes), it’s the highest blocks/36 minutes since Manute Bol’s 5.8 in 1991-92. So yeah, he’s kind of a big deal.

Williams's athleticism was also on display on offense, where he converted 10 of 11 lobs thrown his way and spiked 26 of his 31 dunk attempts. His ability to space the floor vertically should become an asset to the Celtics this season.

If Williams is going to reach his ceiling, he’ll have to improve his decision-making on both sides of the court, but that should come with experience.

When it comes to a player with his physical tools, the sky truly is the limit.

bob
MY NOTE:  It's not the loss of Horford and Baynes so much that is giving Robert Williams his chance, Kanter and Poirier will be getting those minutes, it's the departure of Marcus Morris.  We are thin at 4 so can Theis slide over to that slot, it's really more of his natural NBA position anyway, and that moves him a little out of the direct depth chart line-of-succession at 5.  While I am of the mind that Poirier will play ahead of Williams we should remember that Poirier, just like most Euro-players, didn't play as many games nor as many minutes per game as NBAers.  He will hit a rookie wall with fatigue because, just like NCAA players in their first NBA season, his body is being asked to play double the total minutes, over double the months, against bigger and stronger and faster players and that takes a toll if you're not used to it.

Williams can not only get up (40") he is a quick leaper.  He gets up fast.  One of Bill Russell's great attributes wasn't only that he was a high jumper, but that he was quick on his 2nd jump.  Head faking Russ only bought you so much because he'd get right back up there quickly.  Williams has that too.  Before heads explode on this board let me be clear:  I am NOT comparing Robert Williams III to the greatest defensive player in NBA history, but I am saying he has some of the same physical attributes.  Quick hops are teachable, I suppose, but if it's natural...

He definitely needs to work on his decision making.  I am going to reserve judgement as to whether experience can get it done or if it's his BBIQ that's going to hold him back.  I do agree, however, that with all the work he is putting in this summer the coaching staff will know, even if we don't yet, whether it's just inexperience or IQ.

Tacko Fall may be fun to watch, like a 2-headed calf, but The Time Lord might be as real a deal, and as effective, as Clint Capela. And Clint Capela is an NBA starter on a good team.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

20 Under 25: The future is now for Celtics' Robert Williams, the 'Time Lord' Empty Re: 20 Under 25: The future is now for Celtics' Robert Williams, the 'Time Lord'

Post by dboss Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:36 pm

Williams and VP are going to get minutes at the 5 because the Celtics do not have a 30 MPG starting center.

I agree that RW brings a long and athletic player into the mix.  I think he can get us some minutes at the 4.  He needs to work on his outside shooting, his defensive reads and his rebounding positioning.    Hard work and repetition will make him a better player and great coaching will help him to apply the skills that he has.

RW is also very young and had limited opportunities.  Given his 32 games at 8.8 MPG, I thought he wet the appetite for 'more please'
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

20 Under 25: The future is now for Celtics' Robert Williams, the 'Time Lord' Empty Re: 20 Under 25: The future is now for Celtics' Robert Williams, the 'Time Lord'

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:25 am

On a team with really good/great perimeter defenders, we also have an incredible talent in RW, as soon as you see him, doesn’t take long to notice he really has the attributes for this position/game. I wonder how great the defense might look with a Smart Jaylen Jayson RW and Poirer all on the floor...??? Gonna be a lot of exciting lineups....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down