Chris Paul could be on the market. Should Celtics Pursue? Rondo-CP3 Trade?

+4
mrkleen09
willjr
Brandon$$
8 posters

Go down

Chris Paul could be on the market. Should Celtics Pursue? Rondo-CP3 Trade? Empty Chris Paul could be on the market. Should Celtics Pursue? Rondo-CP3 Trade?

Post by Brandon$$ Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

As the July 1 start of free agency pushes closer, powerbroker William Wesley has been working multiple angles to NBA front offices about possible trades and signings. Here’s his latest: World Wide Wes has been pitching teams with salary-cap space that trading for New Orleans Hornets star Chris Paul will dramatically increase their chances of signing LeBron James, multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports. Yahoo! Sports

New Orleans general manager Jeff Bower has no intention of trading Paul, but multiple league executives believe that until owner George Shinn closes on the team’s sale with billionaire oilman Gary Chouest, there is a price with which Paul could be pried away. “He can be had with Shinn in there, but once the new guy takes over, he’s off the market,” one senior front office executive told Y! Sports. Yahoo! Sports

Can Wesley deliver Paul? Extremely doubtful, but that hasn’t stopped his sales pitch to teams, league sources said. First of all, Paul hasn’t requested a trade out of New Orleans, so the franchise isn’t under pressure to move him. He has two years and $31.3 million left on his contract until he can opt out before the 2012-13 season. Yahoo! Sports

Bower hasn’t made calls offering Paul, sources said, nor do the Hornets plan to initiate conversations on him. New Orleans has received a steady stream of inquires on Paul, but Bower and Chouset have no interest in moving him. Still, rival executives believe Shinn’s willingness to rid payroll should the sales transaction continue to stall is his major motivator in even considering a possible trade of his franchise point guard. Yahoo! Sports

Why would World Wide Wes want to help broker a deal for Paul? Here are two reasons: First, James loves the prospect of playing with one of the best point guards in the NBA. Secondly, it would show Paul how Wesley could make things happen for him, and perhaps get him to leave Octagon for Wesley and Leon Rose at CAA. Yahoo! Sports

The Memphis Grizzlies offered O.J. Mayo as part of a package for Paul recently, but talks went nowhere. League sources believe the New Jersey Nets are willing to part with the No. 3 pick and every player on their roster except for center Brook Lopez to obtain Paul. Also, the Portland Trail Blazers – who’ve long targeted Paul – are expected make a bid for Paul prior to the draft, a source said. Yahoo! Sports

The San Antonio Spurs once had a chance to be frontrunners for Paul – if New Orleans ever felt compelled to make a trade – because they could offer an All-Star caliber point guard in Tony Parker. Nevertheless, the emergence of Darren Collison allows the Hornets to make a trade without taking back a point guard. Now, New Orleans could possibly improve itself at two positions – perhaps shooting guard and small forward – and get draft picks. Yahoo! Sports
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Chris Paul could be on the market. Should Celtics Pursue? Rondo-CP3 Trade? Empty Re: Chris Paul could be on the market. Should Celtics Pursue? Rondo-CP3 Trade?

Post by willjr Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:57 pm

Assuming these rumors are true, if I'm the Hornets I'd take a close look at a possible deal with the Nets, something along the lines of the #3 pick (Evan Turner or Derrick Favors) and Devin Harris, who although he plays point for the Nets to me he is actually more of a Brandon Roy combo type guard who could play the 2 alongside Collison. While trading a superstar like CP3 is probably highly unlikely a team should weigh and evaluate every offer. Hey, if HOFer's like Wilt,Kareem, KG,Barkley, Monroe and Walton can be traded while still in their prime or at an all-star level then anybody can be traded.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Chris Paul could be on the market. Should Celtics Pursue? Rondo-CP3 Trade? Empty Re: Chris Paul could be on the market. Should Celtics Pursue? Rondo-CP3 Trade?

Post by willjr Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:10 pm

To answer your question BB$$$, I really don't know how I would feel about a Rondo/Paul swap. CP3 would obviously be more of a scoring threat and their steals and assists # would be about the same but I love Rondo's rebounding, on the ball defense, toughness and basketball sense. Plus when you throw in the fact that he is one of "ours" it would be hard for me to see him go. I wouldn't HATE the trade, hey it would bring an all-star to town, but I'm still not sure if i would MAKE the trade.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:11 pm

No thanks. Rondo has learned more about leadership and taking control of a team in the last 3 years than Paul will ever learn.

Rajon is already a more well rounded player - and when he spends the summer working on his jumper, he will come back even better.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:38 pm

Rondo is a steal at $10M a year and he has continued to improve his game so watch out for his jumper next year!

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:19 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:No thanks. Rondo has learned more about leadership and taking control of a team in the last 3 years than Paul will ever learn.

Rajon is already a more well rounded player - and when he spends the summer working on his jumper, he will come back even better.

112288 wrote:Rondo is a steal at $10M a year and he has continued to improve his game so watch out for his jumper next year!

I think Kleen and 112288 know what they're talking about here, and I agree completely.

CP3 is an all-NBA calibre player without a doubt, but Rondo could possibly be the best all-around PG playing right now and he fits this team very well.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:29 pm

All the reports coming out of New Orleans is that they are NOT interested in trading Paul.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:24 pm

NYCelt

the only thing is what is THIS team going to be next year?

I'd keep him and make him shoot 500 fs a day and 500 20 foot jumpers a day and 100 treys a day.

Imagine if he could become a 35% 3 point shooter, that would open up a few driving lanes!

beat

Last edited by beat on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:37 pm

beat,
from what I've heard he shoots more than that as it is, so you "making" him shoot that number would actually be a decrease. LOL Rondo works very hard and he will come back even better than he is. Trust him, if not me.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:59 am

beat wrote:NYCelt

the only thing is what is THIS team going to be next year?

I'd keep him and make him shoot 500 fs a day and 500 20 foot jumpers a day and 100 treys a day.

Imagine if he could become a 35% 3 point shooter, that would open up a few driving lanes!

beat

Beat,

Yeah, that is a legitimate question.

Pure speculation on my part, but based on what I understand about current contracts and a few unsubstantiated but probable reported events I would expect the 2010-2011 Celts to be; the same starting five with a 50/50 chance of a new 2-guard, Tony Allen and Glen Davis in reserve. I would expect a new face at center until January, give or take a month. The remainder could be new faces although I hope we find a way to sign Scal because we need a redhead. Well, a redhead who happens to be a big and is capable of defending the perimiter.

I like Rondo in that mix. Truthfully, I like Rondo in almost any mix and would keep him to build around. Whenever we do our major rebuild, a group with uptempo capabilities and Rondo at the point would be something to see. In my wish list it would look like the Phoenix Suns with defense and that would be fun to watch. Come to think of it, if you took the recent Suns teams and added defense you would have some of Tommy Heinsohn's favorite Celtic teams!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down