NYCelt
cowens/oldschool
dboss
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

NBA Season Suspended - Page 2 Empty Re: NBA Season Suspended

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:54 am

These kind of threads are exhibit A of the biggest problem facing us in the Covid outbreak - lack of leadership.

With all due respect to members of this board or anyone else not embossed with PHD or MD after their name, we dont need rumors and inuendo. We dont need, I know a guy who knows an inueologist in Istanbul who can verify X. We need leadership.

A president who can say with authority and calmness: Here is what we must do. A, B, C, D.

When the NBA is the leading voice of sanity in the world, you know how far off track we have veered.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by JerzeyCfan Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:20 am

mrkleen09 wrote:These kind of threads are exhibit A of the biggest problem facing us in the Covid outbreak - lack of leadership.

With all due respect to members of this board or anyone else not embossed with PHD or MD after their name, we dont need rumors and inuendo.  We dont need, I know a guy who knows an inueologist in Istanbul who can verify X.  We need leadership.

A president who can say with authority and calmness:  Here is what we must do.  A, B, C, D.

When the NBA is the leading voice of sanity in the world, you know how far off track we have veered.

My daughter is going through this now! Lets not make this political Clearly there are not enough tests available or my daughter would have gotten one! Are they too expensive or not enough available. Its pretty clear the NBA and Tom Hanks have had the right tests! In my opinion and I am no doctor this is very very serious.
JerzeyCfan
JerzeyCfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:24 am

Berlin-T wrote:Healthy people usually have little to NO symptoms. It is dangerous for old geezers like me who have pulminary-heart issues.
Contrary to Bob H. I have read that the mortality rate is around 2 to 3% and most victums are either already very weak or are 80 years old or older. Here in Germany about 16,000 people die from ordinary influenza each year. So far we have had two deaths from the Corona virus. Something is rotten in Denmark. I can't get over the feeling that there most be some political agenda in play, but I can't figure it out. And as far as not trusting the Chinese - the US government has lost a lot of credibility around the world. Two close German friends tell me that they suspect the USA's germ warfare lab purposly let the virus out in order to cripple the Chinese economy. This theory is also circulating on the web. I don't know if there is anything to it but consider this: Italy is closed down, nobody can enter or leave the country. People are being advised to stay at home. For a virus less lethal than ordinary influenza! It would not surprise me if governments as a precautionary measure start removing cash from circulation. Thus every transaction would be electronic and everyone's wealth would be completely transparent making government control very easy. If you think this is an exaggeration take a look at Denmark and Sweden were this policy is being gradually implemented.

Berlin-T

I was quoting the epidemiologists on that link I provided.  I would love to review a credible source that says otherwise.

Here is an excerpt from a WHO Situation Report dated 3/6/20 (6 days old).  The bold is mine:

Mortality for COVID-19 appears higher than for influenza, especially seasonal influenza. While the true mortality of
COVID-19 will take some time to fully understand, the data we have so far indicate that the crude mortality ratio (the
number of reported deaths divided by the reported cases) is between 3-4%
, the infection mortality rate (the number
of reported deaths divided by the number of infections) will be lower. For seasonal influenza, mortality is usually
well below 0.1%
. However, mortality is to a large extent determined by access to and quality of health care.

Here is the underlying report:
https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200306-sitrep-46-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=96b04adf_2

Angela Merkel said that perhaps up to 70% of Germans will be infected.  Even if that's quadruple what it actually is that's still 17.5% of 82M people.  14.35M people.  Even a 2% mortality rate means 287K dead in Germany alone.  A 3.4% mortality rate, which is what the CDC in the US and WHO are saying would make it closer to 487K dead.

There are flu vaccines. There is no vaccine for COVID-19. If 16,000 people are dying in Germany and there is a vaccine available how can one say the mortality rate for a virus that there is no vaccine rate will be lower?

As far your friends saying the US released a bio-weapon that got out of hand, my suggestion to them is to either up their medication or back off the voltage of their treatments. We have people on radio and TV here in the US that are saying that it was a Chinese bio-weapon that was inadvertently released. They are just as out-to-lunch as your friends. This is not an engineered virus, not by anybody. The fact that there is such nonsense making its way around the internet surprises me not in the least. Nor does it surprise me there are people gullible and foolish enough to believe it, but people usually believe what they want to believe and facts and logic be damned. Really. To believe ANY country would release an uncontainable contagion when there has been no restrictions on international travel or commerce prior to said release goes well beyond a lack of credibility of the country allegedly doing this and starts to point to the credibility of the people who are concocting and spreading this nonsense. If the US is smart enough to create this contagion, and weaponize it, wouldn't we be smart enough to know it could come back to bite us via United Airlines etal? That's like pissing into a stiff wind. No matter what your target is you're not going to get away cleanly yourself.

There is still a lot of unknown about this virus, a lot we do not know.  What we do know is that it has a longer incubation period than previous coronaviruses and, therefore, you can have it and not know it and be transmitting it to people inadvertently.  We also know that the primary symptoms of COVID-19 do not include diarrhea, so stocking up on toilet paper beyond a couple of weeks supply is stupid. Stocking up on canned goods in case you need, or choose, to self-quarantine (or "cocoon" a bit more), is not.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:29 am

The next thing of utmost importance here in the NBA world is how our guys test(ed) given we played with Dilbert on the floor in the last 10 days.  What a boob if the microphone story is indeed true.  He should have his contract revoked and banned from the league if that is the case.    

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:52 am

bobheckler wrote:
Berlin-T wrote:Healthy people usually have little to NO symptoms. It is dangerous for old geezers like me who have pulminary-heart issues.
Contrary to Bob H. I have read that the mortality rate is around 2 to 3% and most victums are either already very weak or are 80 years old or older. Here in Germany about 16,000 people die from ordinary influenza each year. So far we have had two deaths from the Corona virus. Something is rotten in Denmark. I can't get over the feeling that there most be some political agenda in play, but I can't figure it out. And as far as not trusting the Chinese - the US government has lost a lot of credibility around the world. Two close German friends tell me that they suspect the USA's germ warfare lab purposly let the virus out in order to cripple the Chinese economy. This theory is also circulating on the web. I don't know if there is anything to it but consider this: Italy is closed down, nobody can enter or leave the country. People are being advised to stay at home. For a virus less lethal than ordinary influenza! It would not surprise me if governments as a precautionary measure start removing cash from circulation. Thus every transaction would be electronic and everyone's wealth would be completely transparent making government control very easy. If you think this is an exaggeration take a look at Denmark and Sweden were this policy is being gradually implemented.

Berlin-T

I was quoting the epidemiologists on that link I provided.  I would love to review a credible source that says otherwise.

Here is an excerpt from a WHO Situation Report dated 3/6/20 (6 days old).  The bold is mine:

Mortality for COVID-19 appears higher than for influenza, especially seasonal influenza. While the true mortality of
COVID-19 will take some time to fully understand, the data we have so far indicate that the crude mortality ratio (the
of reported deaths divided by the number of infections) will be lower. For seasonal influenza, mortality is usually
well below 0.1%
. However, mortality is to a large extent determined by access to and quality of health care.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200306-sitrep-46-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=96b04adf_2

Angela Merkel said that perhaps up to 70% of Germans will be infected.  Even if that's quadruple what it actually is that's still 17.5% of 82M people.  14.35M people.  Even a 2% mortality rate means 287K dead in Germany alone.  A 3.4% mortality rate, which is what the CDC in the US and WHO are saying would make it closer to 487K dead.

There are flu vaccines.  There is no vaccine for COVID-19.  If 16,000 people are dying in Germany and there is a vaccine available how can one say the mortality rate for a virus that there is no vaccine rate will be lower?

As far your friends saying the US released a bio-weapon that got out of hand, my suggestion to them is to either up their medication or back off the voltage of their treatments.  We have people on radio and TV here in the US that are saying that it was a Chinese bio-weapon that was inadvertently released.  They are just as out-to-lunch as your friends.  This is not an engineered virus, not by anybody.  The fact that there is such nonsense making its way around the internet surprises me not in the least.  Nor does it surprise me there are people gullible and foolish enough to believe it, but people usually believe what they want to believe and facts and logic be damned.  Really.  To believe ANY country would release an uncontainable contagion when there has been no restrictions on international travel or commerce prior to said release goes well beyond a lack of credibility of the country allegedly doing this and starts to point to the credibility of the people who are concocting and spreading this nonsense.  If the US is smart enough to create this contagion, and weaponize it, wouldn't we be smart enough to know it could come back to bite us via United Airlines etal?  That's like pissing into a stiff wind.  No matter what your target is you're not going to get away cleanly yourself.

There is still a lot of unknown about this virus, a lot we do not know.  What we do know is that it has a longer incubation period than previous coronaviruses and, therefore, you can have it and not know it and be transmitting it to people inadvertently.  We also know that the primary symptoms of COVID-19 do not include diarrhea, so stocking up on toilet paper beyond a couple of weeks supply is stupid.  Stocking up on canned goods in case you need, or choose, to self-quarantine (or "cocoon" a bit more), is not.

bob

From your stats:

"While the true mortality of
COVID-19 will take some time to fully understand"

Since the incubation time is long and many people have absolutely no symptoms at all your stats could be way out of whack. There could and probably are many people, thousands? millions? who don't show up in the WHO's stats, ergo - they don't have the true mortality rate.

As far as my friends go, they are completely normal people, actually somewhat older, one who managed 4,000 apartments for a city-run company is retired, the other heads a large nursing home and neither one spends much time on the web. I know it's difficult for people living in the States to understand the mistrust against the American government but believe me it is real and it is strong.
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:06 am

Donovan Mitchell has also tested positive.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:40 am

This is a time when all countries should band together to fight a common enemy.

I do not think we should delve into politics however I do not take kindly to the notion that the US government or any government is responsible.  Viruses have been with us forever.  New ones will pop up and the current one with mutate.  People will die.  

Tonight the game between The Celtics and Bucks will not be played.  That is the underlying consequence of this thread.  How this situation plays out provides more than enough room for all prognostications.  

Blessings to all my board members and their families and friends.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:56 am

Berlin-T wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Berlin-T

well below 0.1%

There are flu vaccines.  There is no vaccine for COVID-19.  If 16,000 people are dying in Germany and there is a vaccine available how can one say the mortality rate for a virus that there is no vaccine rate will be lower?

As far your friends saying the US released a bio-weapon that got out of hand, my suggestion to them is to either up their medication or back off the voltage of their treatments.  We have people on radio and TV here in the US that are saying that it was a Chinese bio-weapon that was inadvertently released.  They are just as out-to-lunch as your friends.  This is not an engineered virus, not by anybody.  The fact that there is such nonsense making its way around the internet surprises me not in the least.  Nor does it surprise me there are people gullible and foolish enough to believe it, but people usually believe what they want to believe and facts and logic be damned.  Really.  To believe ANY country would release an uncontainable contagion when there has been no restrictions on international travel or commerce prior to said release goes well beyond a lack of credibility of the country allegedly doing this and starts to point to the credibility of the people who are concocting and spreading this nonsense.  If the US is smart enough to create this contagion, and weaponize it, wouldn't we be smart enough to know it could come back to bite us via United Airlines etal?  That's like pissing into a stiff wind.  No matter what your target is you're not going to get away cleanly yourself.

There is still a lot of unknown about this virus, a lot we do not know.  What we do know is that it has a longer incubation period than previous coronaviruses and, therefore, you can have it and not know it and be transmitting it to people inadvertently.  We also know that the primary symptoms of COVID-19 do not include diarrhea, so stocking up on toilet paper beyond a couple of weeks supply is stupid.  Stocking up on canned goods in case you need, or choose, to self-quarantine (or "cocoon" a bit more), is not.

bob

From your stats:

"While the true mortality of
COVID-19 will take some time to fully understand"

Since the incubation time is long and many people have absolutely no symptoms at all your stats could be way out of whack. There could and probably are many people, thousands? millions? who don't show up in the WHO's stats, ergo - they don't have the true mortality rate.

As far as my friends go, they are completely normal people, actually somewhat older, one who managed 4,000 apartments for a city-run company is retired, the other heads a large nursing home and neither one spends much time on the web. I know it's difficult for people living in the States to understand the mistrust against the American government but believe me it is real and it is strong.

Berlin,

Mistrust is fine.  Being a skeptic is good.  Believing things without supporting evidence is not.  Spreading unfounded hypotheses backed by nothing but mistrust is counterproductive.  There are MANY people in the US who do not trust the US government, and understandably so.  That has nothing to do with the illogical hypothesis that a deadly contagion would be released by any country when there was obviously no plan in place by that country to prevent the spread of said contagion blowing back onto themselves.  In my opinion your friends, however intelligent and successful they may be, allowed their preexisting prejudices to determine their conclusions without following through on them logically.  Did your friends tell you why the US would do this without a plan to protect Americans?  I understand their "to destroy the Chinese economy" as a premise for a conspiracy theory, but how about the logical follow up question "but won't it destroy the US economy too as it spreads?".

Will the mortality rate drop as we find there are more people with coronavirus who are as yet unreported and who don't die?  Probably.  Will the mortality rate drop to flu levels or less?  Perhaps, but consider this: a country with a world-class healthcare system like Germany is losing 16,000 people every year to the flu despite the availability of a vaccine for the flu.  How many people would die in Germany from the flu if there was no vaccine?  There is no vaccine for this.  That makes comparisons to the flu somewhat weak.  Even if it is "just the flu" the flu kills people despite the existence of a vaccine.  

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:02 pm

JerzeyCfan wrote:
mrkleen09 wrote:These kind of threads are exhibit A of the biggest problem facing us in the Covid outbreak - lack of leadership.

With all due respect to members of this board or anyone else not embossed with PHD or MD after their name, we dont need rumors and inuendo.  We dont need, I know a guy who knows an inueologist in Istanbul who can verify X.  We need leadership.

A president who can say with authority and calmness:  Here is what we must do.  A, B, C, D.

My daughter is going through this now!  Lets not make this political  Clearly there are not enough tests available or my daughter would have gotten one!  Are they too expensive or not enough available.  Its pretty clear the NBA and Tom Hanks have had the right tests!  In my opinion and I am no doctor this is very very serious.  

Bro my heart goes out to you, we all know how dangerous a time it is right now, this is not an attack on any political party, but how can someone with such symptoms not be given the test, that boggles my mind, something is so not right in this state and country....???? Indescribable that this is where we are now, the governments/healthcare system has failed us....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by JerzeyCfan Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:08 pm

Just got off the phone with a friend who got sick the beginning of the week! He went to emergency room! He has flu like symptoms. They gave him antibiotics and sent him home. He is getting sicker every day. Yesterday they said if he gets worse today he will have to be check for corona virus. What the heck is wrong here?

Remember a great leader like George Patton that did not have enough tanks and armor might have a different outcome to the Battle of the Bulge!
JerzeyCfan
JerzeyCfan

Back to top Go down

Post by JerzeyCfan Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:16 pm

This last incident was in Pennsylvania not Jersey! God bless all of us!
JerzeyCfan
JerzeyCfan

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:24 pm

No other Jazz players or staff tested positive. Only the 2 players selected to play/participate in All-Star weekend, which was about 3 weeks ago. With the huge popularity and mass of people and venues, the ramifications the league has to take into consideration could be daunting. We obviously have no idea when the players may have been initially exposed, that weekend has to be included in any discussion. Not only by the league but also the city of Chicago. Let us hope this will pass quickly as possible and with absolute minimal harm to us all.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:31 pm

JerzeyCfan wrote:Just got off the phone with a friend who got sick the beginning of the week!  He went to emergency room!  He has flu like symptoms.  They gave him antibiotics and sent him home.  He is getting sicker every day.  Yesterday they said if he gets worse today he will have to be check for corona virus.  What the heck is wrong here?

Remember a great leader like George Patton that did not have enough tanks and armor might have a different outcome to the Battle of the Bulge!

Jerzey,

Antibiotics do not work against viruses like COVID-19 or the flu.  Why they gave him antibiotics for "flu-like" symptoms seems odd to me.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by JerzeyCfan Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:02 pm

[quote="bobheckler"]
JerzeyCfan wrote:Just got off the phone with a friend who got sick the beginning of the week!  He went to emergency room!  He has flu like symptoms.  They gave him antibiotics and sent him home.  He is getting sicker every day.  Yesterday they said if he gets worse today he will have to be check for corona virus.  What the heck is wrong here?

Jerzey,

Antibiotics do not work against viruses like COVID-19 or the flu.  Why they gave him antibiotics for "flu-like" symptoms seems odd to me.

bob

I agree. My daughter did not get anything!
JerzeyCfan
JerzeyCfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:04 pm

Jared Weiss
@JaredWeissNBA
·
7m
Kevin Love is really one of a kind, donating $100,000 to support staff with the Cavs and the arena to provide income assistance during the Corona moratorium.

NBA Season Suspended - Page 2 ES8MGBRX0AArcx7?format=jpg

bob

cheers

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:12 pm

Class act, there should be many more to do this. Money well spent Kevin, I am sure you are appreciated
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:32 pm

Hi,
I wonder if players are allowed to practice?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:42 pm

That is a wonderful thing that Love is doing, It would be great if the NBAPA and owners came together to do something like that in every city. The hardworking support staff and arena workers and their families will be facing an uncertain future from a financial standpoint, much more than the well off players and even more well off owners. Not only would it be great public relations to show concern and appreciation to their local communities, it would also show the country (and world, as this is a global problem) that it is a time to come together in solidarity and compassion for our fellow humans. The NBA prides itself on being the most progressive and socially conscious league, this would be a great opportunity to strengthen that perception.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:21 pm

Mark Cuban has said that he will make sure that these people in Dallas will receive assistance. The one thing he did say which I though was okay was that he might expect these people to volunteer to do community service for a few hours a day that way it is useful to all concerned. A good idea I think
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:13 pm

Good for Love, but its up to the OWNERS to take care of their workers, not the players.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:06 am

Excellent point, Mr. Kleen.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:55 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Mark Cuban has said that he will make sure that these people in Dallas will receive assistance. The one thing he did say which I though was okay was that he might expect these people to volunteer to do community service for a few hours a day that way it is useful to all concerned. A good idea I think
Good for Cuban. Though in regards to community service, the best current community service is avoiding unnecessary contacts. If they decide to pay it forward in the future once we have avoided catastrophe in our medical system then that would be great.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by JerzeyCfan Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:17 pm

Doctors are rationing test kits? Too funny! VIP's like basketball teams get it! Is government incompetent?
JerzeyCfan
JerzeyCfan

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:18 pm

You think????????  Scary stuff going on out there.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by JerzeyCfan Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:21 pm

I don't think, it is all over the news! Like I said my daughter was never tested when we could have contained it! The whc offered kits in the summer and was rejected because we wanted to make our own!
JerzeyCfan
JerzeyCfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next