Can the Celtic's fly in a V formation this year!

+2
Sam
beat
6 posters

Go down

Can the Celtic's fly in a V formation this year! Empty Can the Celtic's fly in a V formation this year!

Post by beat Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:05 pm

Interesting to note the TEAM concept from nature.

Found this a very interesting read esp for the fall season around here.

As the geese take flight from the Canadian shoreline, they lift off from the water in squawking discourse. Yet, in a matter of seconds, a line begins to emerge from the mass of brown feathers. This line straightens, arches slightly, and then, as on cue, bends sharply to form a perfect V shape. Canada geese fly in V formation for a very pragmatic reason: a flock of geese flying in formation can move faster and maintain flight longer than any one goose flying alone. Synergy is a law of nature.
What is synergy? How does it relate to leadership?
We have a lot to learn from these geese.
By flying in "V " formation, the whole flock adds at least 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own.
Whenever a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone and quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front.
When the lead goose gets tired, he rotates back in the wing and another goose flies point.
These geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.
Finally, when a goose gets sick, or is wounded by gunshot, and falls out, two geese fall out of formation and follow him down to help and protect him. They stay with him until he is either able to fly or until he is dead, and then they launch out on their own or with another formation until they catch up with their group.

I can she Shaq flying now!!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Can the Celtic's fly in a V formation this year! Empty Re: Can the Celtic's fly in a V formation this year!

Post by Sam Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:40 am

Beat,

Now that is one great geese piece. A fine analogy for good basketball, and a really informative insight into the workings of nature. Canada geese have always been a reassuring element in my life. No matter how poorly a day might be going, the sight of geese coming or going in formation is a reminder that the world is still operating as usual and is just waiting for me to rejoin it. The old weave had the same calming effect on me whenever the Celtics were struggling.

Nice piece of research.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Can the Celtic's fly in a V formation this year! Empty Re: Can the Celtic's fly in a V formation this year!

Post by Outside Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:21 pm

It's an adaptation of "Lessons from the Geese" by Robert McNeish, former associate superintendent for Baltimore public schools. It's been widely used by various organizations, and I've used it as a "Scoutmaster minute," which is a brief reflective topic at the end of a boy scout troop meeting. It certainly applies nicely to working together as a team.

Here's the original version, which McNeish wrote in 1972 as a lay sermon for his church:

http://macscouter.com/Scoutmaster/More_Minutes.asp#Geese

Here's an article discussing the scientific validity of each point and authorship of the piece.

http://suewidemark.com/lessonsgeese.htm#mcneish
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:26 pm

Regarding geese, in China one of the most highly prized foods is Peking Duck which takes 24 hours and much culinary skill to prepare. Those in my acupuncture profession joke that if they were ever on death row and were asked what they´s like for their last meal, they´d order Peking Duck - to extend thie lives a day. Curiously, most Americans on death row order a Big Mac - such is the power of McDonald´s advertising!

Again about duck, the Chinese refer to marijuana smokers as those who sit on the side of the road and wait for the Peking Duck to fly by. Quite an apt description.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:34 pm

worcester wrote:Regarding geese, in China one of the most highly prized foods is Peking Duck which takes 24 hours and much culinary skill to prepare. Those in my acupuncture profession joke that if they were ever on death row and were asked what they´s like for their last meal, they´d order Peking Duck - to extend thie lives a day. Curiously, most Americans on death row order a Big Mac - such is the power of McDonald´s advertising!

Again about duck, the Chinese refer to marijuana smokers as those who sit on the side of the road and wait for the Peking Duck to fly by. Quite an apt description.

Geese are also used as guard animals, instead of dogs. They make quite a racket and are nasty little nippers.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:39 pm

Yes, and their beaks are about crotch high. I know from personal experience. Ouch!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by celtic fan Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:47 am

I'd rather see the Celtics steal aways the Suns Trainer.. he's a miracle worker! Then C's wouldn't need to borrow from the Mighty Ducks and use the V formation :p

celtic fan

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:59 am

I know when Kevin Johnson was playing All Star guard for the Suns, before he became Mayor of Sacramento, he frequently used acupuncture to treat his hamstring woes. Speaks well of the Suns´ trainer.

Meanwhile, staying in Buenos Aires, I watched Argentine beat Brasil. The country went crazy for Luis Scola and his 37 puntos. Sure wish we had him. People here are even dissing Manu Ginobli, saying Scola is the best Argentinian player.

Worcester
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:34 pm

worcester wrote:I know when Kevin Johnson was playing All Star guard for the Suns, before he became Mayor of Sacramento, he frequently used acupuncture to treat his hamstring woes. Speaks well of the Suns´ trainer.

Meanwhile, staying in Buenos Aires, I watched Argentine beat Brasil. The country went crazy for Luis Scola and his 37 puntos. Sure wish we had him. People here are even dissing Manu Ginobli, saying Scola is the best Argentinian player.

Worcester

worcester,

I agree with them (and you). I think Scola is the best Argentine player and I'd LOVE to have him in green. He pretty much singlehandedly kept the Rockets in the series against the Lakers after Yao went down with his injury. Outplaying bigger Andrew Bynum and taller Pau Gasol, that was really impressive.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down