beat
gyso
RosalieTCeltics
Outside
Sam
24 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Straight from Sam's Shoulder (SSS) Empty Straight from Sam's Shoulder (SSS)

Post by Sam Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:32 am

I've decided to start my own thread, in which I will periodically offer a collection of perspectives on Celtics news. Frankly, it's nothing that anyone else couldn't do (and, in fact, is welcome to do on this board). I may be posting a little less this season, and this thread could help me focus more on quality versus quantity. Very often, I may use published material as a springboard for my thoughts. I'll make a particular effort to be objective (although my objectivity is certainly a relative thing when it involves the Celtics). I have no idea how often I'll add to the thread—pretty much when I feel like it, I guess. Perhaps the idea will prove to be much ado about nothing, but I feel the need to give it a try. Anyway, here goes.

Today's Boston Herald contains a kind of catch-all article that touches on a number of matters, which offer food for thought:

Sideline Styles

• Doc recently had a biopsy on a possibly cancerous lesion found in his throat, and the biopsy showed the lesion was benign. Anyone hearing Doc's voice and knowing how hoarse he gets in virtually every game can breathe a sigh of relief—as I'm sure Doc and his family are doing. But one has to wonder how long a person can subject his throat to such abuse without serious repercussions. Doc seems to "work" the refs constantly, along with yelling instructions to his players. Which makes me think about the stylistic differences of coaches.

I don't recall Red having voice problems despite being "on" referees much of the time. Of course, many of Red's teams didn't require much sideline yelling, as they pretty much ran themselves and usually had several "coaches on the court." But Red seemed more content to confine a lot of his major outbursts to situations in which his "targets" were at close range—in huddles, in the locker room, or when he went out on the floor and got in referees' faces during timeouts (he'd have been a technical manufacturing plant today).

I've often wondered why Red ALWAYS bought a program, which he ALWAYS had in his hand when he was coaching a game. I never saw him look inside it. The only use he seemed to make of it was to slam it across his hip when he saw a play or a call he didn't like. Perhaps that program substituted for trying to yell above the crowd noise—a sort of visual warning to players and referees alike that a storm was brewing and would erupt during the next timeout if they didn't shape up.

Are We Destined to Become a Big Knick Knack Shop?

• Jermaine O'Neal apparently has back and wrist issues to go along with the hamstring issues mentioned in the Boston Globe. I'm becoming a bit more skeptical about how "stacked" the Celtics really are in the middle. At times, they seem destined to a game of medical ping pong between Shaq and JOL, and one wonders how many games they'll play with both of them at full strength. Of course, this is preseason and is nothing like the stretch run, when guys are more likely to play with what Shaq calls "knick knack" injuries. But Semih Erden could prove to be a more constant factor than I had expected over the course of the season—at least until Perk returns.

Last but Not Least

• According to the Herald article, Von Wafer may now have the lead in the running for the last roster spot. The early absence of Delonte West may have something to do with it. And Wafer has looked good offensively in all of his recent outings, including an intrasquad scrimmage yesterday. I've been rooting for Lasme because, on this particular team, I'd rather have a bench guy with a lot of defense and a little offense than the reverse. However, there have been signs throughout the preseason that the Celts could be changing their ratio of emphasis from something like 65% defense and 35% offense to something more on the order of 55% defense and 45% offense.

These percentages are my invention—not something I read anywhere; and they're certainly a matter of opinion. Suffice it to say that I believe offense will be somewhat more important this season, which is probably a good thing. Too often, last season, the defense would do at least a creditable job in the clutch but the offense could not capitalize sufficiently. (Game 7, anyone?)

So perhaps it's a rationalization on my part, but I can see a positive glimmer in going with the offensive guy and hoping (as Doc says) he'll learn the defensive system. I've read that Wafer has defensive skills, although what I've seen so far hasn't overwhelmed me. IF he gets the last roster spot, his ultimate value could depend primarily on how much he's willing to focus on (1) learning the defense and (2) putting in the kind of effort required to play it well.

If Lasme is not kept, it has to be a sign that Doc is willing to gamble on (1) Marquis' ability to avoid injury (not good signs so far) and (2) the abilities of Delonte and/or Wafer to defend small forwards. One's immediate thought is "What about Lebron?" Well perhaps we're conditioned to worry too much about a single opponent. Maybe added emphasis on offense in the middle means that Pierce can devote more of his energy to shadowing Lebron without compromising the offense too much. Or perhaps Doc's simply hoping Delonte can take Lebron out of the game by whispering "Yo Mama" in his ear. (I wonder how fast and far Delonte can really run.)

The Herald link:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/20101020doc_rivers_survives_minor_scare/srvc=sports&position=also

A Gallon in Reserve?

• The news that Tiny Gallon had a tryout with the Celtics and was on hand at practice last night places a new personnel rule in the spotlight. The details are still a little murky in my mind, and I've posted two links below. The first is more directly involved with the Celtics, but I believe the second does a better job of explaining the rule. Apparently, an NBDL affiliate may list up to three players who are cut from its NBA affiliate and try to sign any or all of those three to an NBDL contract. If a player signs, then he's still affiliated with the NBA team without being counted toward their roster. Of course the player has to be willing to sign an NBDL contract (which is not high-paying). Perhaps guys like Lasme or Gallon would prefer to try to get a contract from an NBA team. But this is one way in which, at least theoretically, the Celtics could potentially have a shot at keeping close tabs on Lasme, Gallon and Mario West while retaining Harangody on the Celtics' roster. I don't know what implications there could be with respect to subsequently assigning up to two Celtics (say Harangody and Erden, after Perk returns) to NBDL stints.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4676825/nbdl-allocation-change-and-the-cs

http://www.clubblazers.com/blazers-discussion/new-nbdl-rules-blazers-plan-take-advantage-t3606.html

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Straight from Sam's Shoulder (SSS) Empty Re: Straight from Sam's Shoulder (SSS)

Post by Outside Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 pm

Regarding Doc's throat situation, the thought that immediately came to mind for me was Bill Sharman, who permanently damaged his vocal cords when coaching. I've heard that raspiness in Doc's voice and been concerned. I'm glad he's being proactive about his voice so that it doesn't get anywhere near as bad as Sharman.

I tried to find something current about Sharman to see if his voice has improved. Does anyone know? I don't remember hearing him interviewed for quite a few years.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:46 pm

Outside,

I seem to remember that he was interviewed with a couple of other old Celtics players (I think Arnie Risen was another) perhaps two years ago during a Celtics game, and he could at least speak. I, too, tried to look up his health and only found a site advertising an autograph-signing show this past May 31 that said he would no be able to appear "due to a very recent health issue." I have no idea what that meant.

While looking, I also stumbled across a reminder that he owns 16 NBA championship rings as a player, coach and executive—the most of any person all-time.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:22 pm

Musical Chairs

By the time anyone reads this, it could be moot because Doc may have announced his final cuts. But, I'm starting to wonder whether the Celtics might keep Wafer and Lasme. Here's my reasoning, for whatever it's worth.

1. I start with 13 "givens":

Perk, Shaq, JOL, Semih
KG, Davis
Pierce, Marquis
Ray, Delonte
Rondo, Nate, Bradley

And I'm assuming they'll go with a roster of 15.

2. If they cut Wafer, he's gone overseas. If they cut Lasme, I'm betting another team will pick him up. If they cut Harangody, there's a good chance he could wind up on their DL affiliate under the rule that the Lobsters will have the exclusive DL right to try to sign him without his counting on the Celtics' roster. And, unless an NBA team comes after him despite his reputation as a tweener, I think he might be receptive to remain in contact with the Celtics—perhaps as an understudy for Glen Davis in the event that Glen bolts after this season.

3. Both Wafer and Harangody tend to be streak shooters, but I think Wafer's more consistent from the outside and as a penetrator than Harangody. And Delonte's initial absence warrants keeping a guard.

4. Harangody has a unique skill in the rebounding department, but Lasme's no slouch in that area, is an outstanding defender, can defend (I believe) well at both the 3 and the 4, and injects a major shot of athleticism—especially useful off the bench against big athletic SFs (not thinking of anyone in particular).

In summary, although Harangody could easily become my favorite player if he made the team, I believe the tandem of Wafer and Lasme could cover a broader range of immediate needs and coverage of the 2-3-4 positions than either Wafer and Harangody or Lasme and Harangody.

And, by the way, if they go with a roster of 14 rather than 15, I suspect the one they keep will be Wafer, although I'd go with Lasme.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:02 pm

Well, if I had waited another five minutes, I wouldn't have had to waste my time on the last post. Lasme's gone but possibly not forgotten. He says he'd be open to playing in the DL, and that could very well be with the Celts' affiliate. As he says, it's up to whether he wants to sign a modest contract. He'll probably wait it out to see if another NBA team calls. Mario West could wind up in Maine as well.

So I read that Wafer has made the team, which is no shock. The disposition of Harangody has not yet been clarified; at least I haven't seen anything about that.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:50 pm

They will probably send Harangody to Maine at times during the year to keep his skills sharp and get him some playing time. His contract is guaranteed so
he is a Celtic for two years, at least that is the way I look at it. I was hoping to see him play a little tonight, but the regulars played so poorly in the first
half that they insisted on playing the second half and improving, which they
certainly did. It is amazing how important Robinson has become to this team I really like that he has taken a good look at who and what he is playing with and realizes what he can accomplish here. There are still silly mistakes that have to be corrected, but he is a cog in the wheel that turns this second team.
Sam, I was at the game tonight, the only thing I saw in recognition of
Larry Siegfried was a moment of silence. This puzzles me a bit. Didn't they
wear a black arm band when DJ died? or am I mistaken. Here is a guy who
played on five championship teams, I would think they would do more than
a moment of silence to show some respect to a guy who gave so much of himself to the Boston Celtics.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:26 am

Rosalie,

I sent what I thought was a very diplomatic and compelling email to Wyc, suggesting that they consider putting Siggy's number (it would probably be his name, a la Loscy since Ray has #20) in the rafters. Wyc has always been unfailing in responding to my emails. This time, it's been four days, and there's been no response.

It's the kind of thing that can't be put off, because if it doesn't happen now, it never will. I'm going to try Heinsohn next (if I can figure out how to get word to him).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:25 am

"Tom and Mike" is Not the Beginning of an Irish Joke

Today's Boston Globe carries a nice article about the affair that was thrown for Mike Gorman and Tom Heinsohn to recognize their 30 years of broadcasting Celtics games together. One thing that caught my eye was a comment by Mike: "We're Celtics fans. We don't make any pretense that we're unbiased." Over the years, they and Johnny Most have taken a lot of flak from people who criticize their lack of objectivity. Such people fail to recognize the difference between national and local media. Local media that do not actively support the home team as fans are known as BORING.

Mike and Tom also talked about their broadcasting style, which is based on not patronizing the very knowledgeable Celtics fans. (That's you they're talking about.) What wasn't said was that this philosophy means their coverage of games has to be on a much higher and in-depth plane that the Pablum-laced, sensationalistic, argumentative, ego-blathering crap dispensed by many national media.

Here's to Mike and Tom....and to all of you for being the epitome of the knowledgeable Celtics fans they serve.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/10/22/gorman_heinsohn_hold_court/

Boarding Passes

In another Globe article, the Celtics' rebounding advantage over the preseason is mentioned. Last season, the Celts were outrebounded by an average of 40.1 to 38.6. In the preseason, they outrebounded their opponents 43.4-39.6. I went back to the box scores. In six of the eight preseason games, they also had offensive rebounding superiority (unlike most of last season).

There's still work to do, as they were outrebounded offensively in the other two games—notably by the Raptors, 18-9. But it appears that the Celts are now on the right track in the board game.

And one factor is Doc's absolute insistance on blocking out. I noticed even the rookies doing a great job of that in the preseason.

Moreover, although I haven't bothered to consult the stats, I believe the 1, 2, and 3 positions are accounting for a greater percentage of the team's rebounds than has been the case in the past. The lack of vertical leaping by guys like Shaq, Davis, Erden, JOL and Perk means the bigs are likely to keep a lot of rebounds alive without capturing them. Smaller guys who hang around in the lane are likely to grab a lot of loose balls.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/10/22/expecting_a_rebound_season/

Does Glen Davis Have a Sixth Sense?

Guess who was the leading Celtics scorer per minute during the preseason. Of course, the headline tips you off to the fact that it was Glen Davis. He averaged 12.0 points and 4.4 rebounds in 20.35 minutes of play.

Is there any reason not to expect that he might be in the running for the Sixth Man award—if not by the league, at least on the Celtics?

Hidden away in this article is additional confirmation that the "braintrust" of the Celtics just might be unparalleled, at least psychologically. Read these quotes by Glen:

“Believe it or not, if you do the little things, you’ll get recognized. That’s the way it is here. So that’s all I’m concentrating on - doing what’s best for the team. I’m the guy who takes charges, the guy who makes the extra pass, the guy who sets the perfect pick and is there on the defensive rotation. That’s what I concentrate on.”

His earlier complaints were tempered by comments from Danny Ainge who said Baby should be happy he can be used in different ways.

“It is a compliment when you look at it,” Davis said.

“Being young, you can get frustrated with things sometimes. But you’ve got to look at the bright side of things. I don’t have a label. They can’t say I’m just a power forward. They can’t say I’m just a center. Danny talked to me, and that is a positive way to look at it. No matter what situation you’re in, it’s how you look at it. That’s the way I’m looking at it now.”

Obviously, Danny took Glen’s complaint about lack of definition of his role and turned into a plus in Glen’s eyes. You say "lack of definition,” I say “versatility.”

It brings to memory a situation in which I had to fire an employee who was a hard worker but who lacked some necessary tools (including writing). I took her to lunch and talked about the pros and cons of the company, ending with the statement, “I’m afraid this company is just to small and limited to take advantage of your talents and ambition.” She bought it, decided to resign, and became a client not much later. That experience convinced me that (1) much of life is all about positioning and (2) whenever possible, blame should be placed on situations rather than people.

Here’s to Glen for a great season as the Celtics designated Six Shooter.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1290634&srvc=sports&position=4

Hanging around?

Now that Lasme, Mario West and Tiny Gallon have all been officially waived, look for the Maine Lobsters to try to sign one or more of them to NBDL contracts. Because the Celtics cut them, the Celtics affiliate has first dibs on signing them, without having them count toward the Celtics roster. As I understand it, any NBA team could then acquire them from the Lobsters; but at least they'll be under the watchful eye of Austin Ainge—and hopefully with some degree of allegiance to the Celtics—up in Maine.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:20 pm

I, too, sent an email to the Celtics regarding Larry Siegfried. I, too, have had no response even though they say on their web site that a response will be
coming. I guess it has fallen on deaf ears, or, it is something that Wyc just
doesn't want to consider. Too bad, he deserves the recognition.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:21 pm

All afternoon, I've been phoning Bob Ryan, Dan Shaughnessy of the Globe, Steve Bulpett of the Herald, and Jeff Twiss of the Celtics without success. I guess I'll have to pick it up next week. Thanks for giving it a shot. They may still respond. I have the feeling they're not all that fast-moving.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:28 pm

All Hands on Deck?

Hopefully, the Celtics' real season will begin next week. As Steve Bulpett mentioned in today's Boston Herald, after the final two games of this road trip (they'll just need to suck it up and do the best they can in those games), they'll play only two games (both at home) in the following seven days.

There's a decent chance that the team could have all players available by Delonte's first game, although we'll obviously have to see what's up with Shaq and Jermaine. With no travel over next week, a day off Sunday, and two practices before the next game, the timing should be perfect to integrate Delonte back in the lineup during practice so the Celts can hit the ground running (hopefully literally) rather than having to reorient him during games.

Delonte's baptism will give the Celtics a unique backcourt featuring a stereophonic backcourt incorporating two guys who can bring the ball up, dish, drive, and shoot from outside. Nate will be able to to focus on whatever comes most naturally for him, because Delonte will be like putty in filling any holes left by Donkey. Delonte + Nate = more rest for Rondo. Delonte + Quis = more rest for Paul and Ray with little or no dropoff (and maybe even some improvement) on defense. Make no mistake about it. The implications of getting Delonte back should be much greater than simply adding another body.

In what is almost a throwaway line, Bulpett also mentions that Perk is getting into ridiculous shape and we can say good-bye to the old, pudgy Perk. Who knows? Maybe his hands will be thinner and better able to grasp the ball.

I'm greatly encouraged about the Celtics' defensive rebounding this season, not because I believe Perk, Jermaine, Shaq, or Semih will individually set the boards on fire. I think the Celtics' rebounding strategy is vastly improved. They've got the three smaller guys hanging around the defensive boards and pick up loose balls that their centers can keep in play but can't grab. The offensive rebounding is more of a work in progress, but I'm hoping some of the same philosophy, plus Glen Davis' continuing impact, will held on that end.

The Bulpett article:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?&articleid=1295335&format=&page=2&listingType=celt#articleFull

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:51 am

Sam,

The current offensive rebounding strategy is for everyone to release to the other end of the court whenever one of the Celts puts up a shot. I don't expect that to change very much, considering the emphasis on defense.

A minor tweak to that (and I think you may have mentioned it) is that Shaq and/or Jermaine may hang around the offensive boards a bit longer after a shot goes up.

IMO, the best offensive rebounding strategy is to take higher percentage shots and let the other team take the ball out of the strings.

Last edited by gyso on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:28 pm

gyso,

I'm not sure I'm seeing quite the same pattern as you on the offensive glass.

In the first place, the Celtics are averaging 9 ORB per game and, for the season so far, have 73 ORB to 72 for opponents. And, of the 73, virtually half (36) have been garnered by players in the 1, 2, and 3 positions. In fact, the team leader in ORB is Rondo, with 22% of the team total..

There certainly are situations in which all five of the Celtics immediately hightail it for the defensive end when they miss a shot, but I actually believe that's the exception rather than the rule.

Something to watch more carefully as time passes.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Sam GYSO

Interesting and indeed something to watch. I'm not really concerned about our defensive transition after a FGA. It's when we have the careless turnover on the floor, that leads to easy hoops.

As the heat are a bit weak inside it will be curious to see how well we contest for the O boards.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:58 am

A singular Gift to Celtics Fans

I'm off on a little jaunt to Washington, DC to visit that great city while Mrs. Sam attends a reunion there. I'll probably be alone, trying to catch the streaming Celtics against Memphis and watching the game-on thread while she's out hooting and hollering with her buddies.

It's now 3:00 in the morning, and I'm still trying to tie up some loose ends before packing for our 8:30 a.m. getaway. But, after tonight's game against the Heat, I'm compelled to take the time to post about something I've felt coming on for some time.

I believe this team has one advantage over the other Garnett-era Celtics teams. It has become lovable even faster than the others. There are just so many reasons to feel good about them—particularly their selflessness, pure effort, and refusal to quit when the chips are down. If it's not Quis really asserting himself, it's Nate; those two guys are contributing some serious stuff, both statistically and strategically.

It's becoming routine to see Glen Davis on his back, kicking his feet in the air as the opponents angrily retreat after committing a charge. He definitely wins my current vote for top 6th man, most improved player, and the guy I'd least like to have fall on me.

I don't recall many periods during which the Three Amigos have all been important scoring factors in every game. Frequently, one or another has an off-night and the others pick up the slack. The fusillades are coming from every direction, which creates a virtually impossible defensive challenge. It's sort of like the Three Stooges; you never know where the next whack on the opponents' heads is going to come from; and neither do they. Knyuck knyuck knyuck. Even the end-of-quarter plays are working better.

I hate to say this, but maybe Rondo should consider having plantar fasciitis all the time. What's he going to do when he's actually injury-free? Hawk peanuts in the crowd during timeouts? As Heinsohn said after tonight's game, the Celts seem to have found their chemistry. I still feel it'll take at least 20 games for it to become a matter of routine, incorporating Delonte West. But it's shaping up as very possibly the best example of Celtics team basketball since the 80s and possibly (just possibly) since the 60s.

The Tall Timber Triumverate is more than holding its own at center, while playing their own game of musical attendance. Even Erden is starting to give the team exactly what they need from him on a regular basis. If he keeps it up, he may have to change his name from "Semih" to "Complete."

I haven't been simultaneously this happy with both the Celtics' offense and defense since the mid-80s. Seriously. These guys are dropping more dimes than a drunken bus driver in the 1940s, and they're doing it with what looks like ease and a sense of élan. I have to use this French word that I've always loved. It means enthusiastic vigor and style. These guys look to be having the time of their lives. It's like watching your kid put the neighborhood bully in a hammerlock.

Undoubtedly, there will be low points in the season. There always are. But, as I've so often said, we're now getting a taste of what this team can be; and no one will be able to convince me that their ceiling is any lower than what we're seeing. As beneficiaries of this nine-game sampling, it is incumbent upon us to realize that, no matter the depth of the lows that may come, this type of play is what this team is capable of. They just have to sustain it. If, because of injury or other reasons, they should lose some direction, it's just a matter of getting back on track.

And kudos to the bandleader, because Doc is doing a superb job. At the end of the season, I won't be surprised if his comment that I most remember will involve his curiosity about how Davis and KG might work together. Now they're the "big" tandem of choice at crunch time. I don't recall recently hearing any of the BDC drivel about Doc's weaknesses with the old Xs and Os or the "real" ghost writer Thibs.

Enjoys this team, ladies and gentlemen. A prolonged good shake on the health front may be too much to ask for, given the largess currently being bestowed upon us. But it's our job to hope like crazy for this very special team to enjoy all the best.

Enjoy your weekend,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:03 pm

Sam-I couldn't agree with you more. I stayed up and watched the game last night and had myself so worked up that I was changing curtains at 3:00 in the morning! I just couldn't come down from that feeling I had felt so many years ago watching Bird, Parish and McHale be joined by Bill Walton and produce one
of the most magical years in basketball I had seen since Bill Russell retired.

I take such enjoyment out of watching Marquis, Nate and Davis play so well
together. I can't imagine what it is going to be like when Delonte comes back and joins that second unit. This is so much fun to watch!

And, I could not go without saying how great it is to watch Ray Allen show
the basketball world that he is not a hanger on. He is such an important
part of this team. Look at the defensive job he did on Wade last night.
When I was listening to the radio, Sean Grande, the Celtic announcer, said
that Wade stormed off the floor at the end of the game. Was it that he was
ticked off that he let a 35 year old guy play him so hard? Or was it that he
had to watch LeBron take over the team and take almost every shot
available? Chemistry? This team is searching for something it may never
find.

I will not let two games against this team put endless dreams in my head!
They are already there. Bring on Tony Allen!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Rosalie,

Your point about Ray's defense is very well taken. Isn't it about time for people to recognize that both Ray and Paul contribute mightily to this team on the defensive end? Perhaps the Celtics defensive scheme in general is a consideration. But, whatever the contributing factors, both those guys are defensive keys for this team.

By the way, Mrs. Sam and I have some draperies we need hung if you find yourself on another Celtics high in the wee hours. LOL.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:57 pm

Is Wade Full of Snit?

Tom Heinsohn's new favorite word is "snit." He used it earlier in the week and again to describe Wade's post-game behavior last night. I'm sure his own performance was at the heart of it. The interesting question is what or whom he blames for that performance. I have a feeling it's not as simple as blaming Lebron. To place direct blame on Lebron could destroy the dream Wade obviously had when those three idiots hatched their plot; and I don't think Wade would do that without thinking many times about it.

In the absence of prominent veterans who can intercede convincingly (and I believe that problem will plague the Heat all season long), it seems to me that Spoelstra and his system and becomes the direct target of Wade. I couldn't believe my ears when Spoelstra told the Heat at halftime to put their egos aside. It was as though he had read a newspaper, agreed that ego was the problem, and reasoned that a halftime admonishment would rectify everything.

I couldn't believe that Riley takes notes and passes them to Spoelstra after games. (I wonder if Spoelstra secretly makes airplanes of them.) Why doesn't Riley become a ventriloquist, prop Spoelstra on his knee, and formalize the puppetry situation. (I can't wait for the first time Pat does the old Gatorade-in-his-mouth ventriloquist trick and it comes dribbling out of Spoelstra's mouth.)

I detest Riley, and I don't want him to threaten Don Nelson's coaching record. But only an icon of the first magnitude would possess the credibility required to defuse the situation down there. Unfortunately, Riley qualifies as an icon, and I expect they'd listen to him.

Rotate on this

I notice that the Celtics' two losses have come on the road in the second of back-to-back games. An admittedly over-simplified, premature analysis suggests that only injuries or fatigue can beat this team on any consistent basis. I believe Doc's going to have to play an 11-man rotation, at least for the foreseeable future and depending on how the big man injury situation shakes down. For all intents and purposes, it will probably boil down to a 10-man rotation because of big man injuries.

The good news is that there are no back-to-backs in the playoffs.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Sam,
Re "Is Wade full of snit".
I have a theory which is borderline conspiracy theory. But here it is.
There was a time when everybody was counting days before DWade leaves Miami. Then all of a sudden everything went nice and peachy in South Beach and DWade put his heart on the floor in the playoffs. Which meant that Riley got him what he was demanding all along.
And 2 months and despicable decision later we found out what it was. I think Riley duped DWade into going for this mega-deal.
Along the way Riley, being a smart guy and knowing Lebron, understood that they'd need somebody to keep Lebron in-check and make this super-duet work. So, he approached Doc, RA and, I suspect, Shaq. Doc had experience dealing with 3 stars on the same team. RA is a consummate professional and veteran. Shaq is viable center and looking to be on a contender team. All of them were FAs. These guys realized that they'd have to deal with Lebron (for Shaq it was been there done that) and said NO (thankfully).
Now Heat has Lebron who'll continue what he's been doing for last 7 years in Cle. They have DWade who is forced to move from being concertmaster to a second fiddle. I suspect he started to understand he was duped but stuck in this position, therefore his sour face yesterday. They've got coach Spo who's, I think, unable to change much and who'll be used as a scape goat at the right time. And, finally, they've got Riley, the mastermind who'll be wheeling and dealing to keep this whole show running as long as possible. I didn't mentioned Bosh because he's either part of Lebron package or just a "sing-along".
Thank you for your patience and thank you for not calling 911 affraid

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:08 pm

Interesting theory, Sinus. I surely wouldn't contest it.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:18 pm

Riley will be coaching this team by December. There is no way he is going to let this ship sink, what a mark on his record that would be. The only one who really doesn't want this to take place is DWade. He has said he doesn't want to go back to Riley's way of coaching, two a day practices, etc. He will have no
say in this matter though.

Right now they seem a bit disfunctional. I give them a month or two, with Miller returning from his injury, and they will become close to what they anticipated. However, they will still lose because they have no help in the Middle. Ilgasgas is 100 years old and growing older by the day, and the young guy, whoever it is, just doesn't fill the bill. As far as Bosh is concerned, he will be the first one traded from this team. How long it will take is a guess.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:02 pm

Rosalie

Interesting about when Miller returns...............so who's shots does he get? Less for Wade? Bron............(no way)

Plus how does one be a 1st class shooter when he doesn't get any shots.

Actually this reminds me of the 3 mile island mess 30 or so years ago.
Only this appears to be total meltdown.

Think I can have as much fun this year watching the Heat fall on their collective egos as I do watching the C's share the load.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:49 pm

I had to laugh, LeBron was complaining about ALL the minutes he had to play
last night? How old is he? How much does he make? How many minutes did
Ray play last night? Give me a break, his whining will get old fast.

Last edited by RosalieTCeltics on Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:13 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : error)
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:48 pm

Sam, My partner sent Wyc a video on treating plantar fascitis. Hopefully he doesn't watch it, the way Rondo's playing with his "handicap."
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:02 am

I know what you mean, Worcester. It's really getting pretty ridiculous.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next