Celt Trivia

3 posters

Go down

Celt Trivia Empty Celt Trivia

Post by beat Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:35 am

How many retired numbers were in the rafters when Havliceck played his first game?
And how many were up there when he played his last one?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Celt Trivia Empty Re: Celt Trivia

Post by carpecarpium1 Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:35 am

I'll take a shot. Havlicek's first year was '62-63. So I'll say that year there was at the most one or two retired numbers--Sharman and Ed McCauley. Or there were none.

Sixteen years later, in Hondo's last year, there were nine-- McCauely, Sharman, Cousy, Russell, Heinshon, KC, Sam Jones, Tom Sanders and Don Nelson.

carpecarpium1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:42 am

Beat,

I haven't utilized any resources, but a sheer guess would be:

Pre-Havlicek:

2 management (Red, Walter)

2 players (MacAuley, Sharman)

Post-Havlicek:

NOT including Havlicek, 10 more players:

Cousy, Ramsey, K.C., Heinsohn, Sam, Russ, Nellie, Satch, Jo Jo, Loscy (technically, not a number)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:46 am

Actually, that's stupid. Jo Jo wasn't retired when John quit.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:03 am

I could be wrong on this but after checking a lot of sources here is the answer.

At the time of Hondo's first game there were NO retired numbers in the rafters. As he began his career in the fall of 1962. The first player's numbers to be retired were in the fall of 1963 Oct/16/63 to be exact.

Walter Brown passed away in Sept 1964 and a single large banner with a #1 on it was placed in the rafters. Red was not honored with #2 until much later Jan 4, 1985. At the time of Sanders retirement the Large #1 for Walter was taken down and placed on the second banner of numbers with Satch.

At the time of Hondo's last game April 9, 1978, there were 11 numbers in the rafters. 1,6,14,15,16,19,21,22,23,24,25.

Celt Trivia Celtic10

The banner in the middle contains the first 8 retired numbers. Numbers were retired in sequence from retirement date, from the top of the banner R-F to the bottom. The banner on the left is next and the last one is on the right in the photo.

I am pretty sure there were no numbers retired when he first played and 11 when he finished, and his became the 12th.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:14 am

Just a note about LOCEY. The Celt's had wanted to retire his number 18 but he wanted to let another one use it.

Loscutoff's nicknames included "Jungle Jim" or "Loscy". The organization wished to honor Loscutoff, but he asked that his jersey number (18) not be retired so that a future Celtic could wear it. The number 18 was indeed worn by Dave Cowens, and it was after his tenure and in honor of him that the number was retired. However, Loscutoff does have an honorary banner amongst the rafters in the TD Garden, along with the rest of the retired numbers — one displaying his nickname, "Loscy."

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down