Trivia 12/28

3 posters

Go down

Trivia 12/28 Empty Trivia 12/28

Post by beat Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:31 am

Name the last ALL ABA first team from the ABA's last season?

And can you name the second team?

All these guys also played in the NBA and many went on to be ALL Stars there.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Trivia 12/28 Empty Re: Trivia 12/28

Post by willjr Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:42 pm

As the resident expert ( Very Happy ) I'll venture a guess.
1st team: Forwards,Julius Erving,David Thompson- Center, Artis Gilmore- Guards, James Silas, George Gervin
2nd team: Forwards, Bobby Jones,Billy Knight- Center, Dan Issel -Guards, Ralph Simpson, Brian Taylor
Don't know how close I've gotten but I do know that the Nuggets were dominant that year. I'm pretty confident on all but the Brian Taylor choice but I couldn't think of another point guard aside from Silas who stood out, maybe Mack Calvin or Freddie Lewis but I think they both were past their all star prime by then.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:56 pm

willy

Not to far off

1975-76 ABA All-League Team
FIRST TEAM ...............................SECOND TEAM
F Julius Erving, New York.............. David Thompson, Denver
F Billy Knight, Indiana....................Bobby Jones, Denver
C Artis Gilmore, Kentucky...............Dan Issel, Denver
G James Silas, San Antonio............ Don Buse, Indiana
G Ralph Simpson, Denver.................George Gervin, San Antonio

Willy, You do know your ABA pretty good!!

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:13 pm

Man I loved that league! Forgot about Don Buse, ran the point for the Pacers after Freddie Lewis went to the St. Louis Spirits (where he backcourted with Don Chaney and M.L. Carr). Buse was a smart, gritty player who could hit the 3 with the best of them. Billy Knight was the 2nd leading scorer in the league that year behind the Dr. but I would never have guessed that he beat out David Thompson for all ABA first team.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:32 pm

Willy

In looking over the last ABA All star game I never realized that there really was only one team of ALL Stars and they played the defending Champs DENVER in the ALL STAR game in the final season.

Would be like an ALL NBA team (minus any Lakers) and then playing them.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:48 pm

The Kentucky Colonels were the defending champs. What happened with the all star game was that after the Baltimore Claws, Utah Stars and San Diego Sails folded the league was left with 7 teams. Since there was no east and west divisions the league decided to pit the all-stars against the team with the best record at the break, which happened to be the Denver Nuggets. Just by chance the game was scheduled to be played in Denver anyway. As everyone knows this was the also the birth of the dunk contest. Off the top of my head the participants were Erving (the winner), Thompson (runner-up), Larry Kenon, George Gervin, and Artis Gilmore. Maurice Lucas had one of the all time great lines during that contest. After Thompson threw down one of his dunks somebody remarked that it looked like he was a mile high (jumping) Lucas, remembering the city they were in said "no man, we're a mile high, he's 2 MILES HIGH". BTW, the Nuggets won the game.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Cooz Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:45 pm

I believe that Brian Taylor played at Perth Amboy in NJ----was a phenomonal offensive player and once lit it up for 84 in one game.

Cooz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down