+6
swedeinestonia
worcester
Matty
jeb
LACELTFAN
10 posters

Go down

LA LAKERS BEGINNING OF THE END? Empty LA LAKERS BEGINNING OF THE END?

Post by 112288 Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:29 pm

THE SLIDE CAN BE STEEP AND SWIFT! I BELIEVE THE END IS COMING SOON.

Kobe Bryant endures pain for team

ESPNLosAngeles.com
The absence of Kobe Bryant's intensity in practice may have shown itself in the Los Angeles Lakers' less-than-desirable performance during a stretch in December.

In an interview with the New York Post following Sunday's home loss to the Memphis Grizzlies, Bryant confirmed that he hadn't been going through all phases of practice all year because of a knee issue.

"Because I have very little cartilage under my right knee cap," he said, according to the newspaper. "It's almost bone on bone."

Bryant's frustration came to a head after a home loss to the Heat on Christmas, a game circled on the calendar since the summer. That loss came on the heels of an upset by the Bucks at Staples Center. Bryant vowed to get more involved in practice, and according to the Post, his knee is swelling as a result.

The Lakers guard has undergone three operations on the knee and had to have it drained during the playoffs last season.

"Until I got it drained the first time during the opening round against the Thunder I could not bend that knee at all," he said, according to the Post. "It was swollen as hell and it hurt like hell. Luckily things got a lot better once I had the procedure."

Because of the knee, the decision was made prior to the season to "sacrifice the team's intensity by minimizing wear and tear as much as possible," according to the Post.

At first, things were fine. The Lakers won their first eight games and 13 of 15, prompting talk that the two-time defending champions could surpass the 1995-96 Bulls' record of 72-10. They've been up and down since and are currently 25-11, good for third in the Western Conference.

Bryant's numbers haven't really suffered. He's right at his career averages, posting 25.1 points, 5.0 rebounds and 4.5 assists per game.

But he believes his teammates have suffered because he has not been infusing intensity into practice sessions.

"You know how competitive and combative I am on the court," he said, according to the Post. "There's nothing I like better than to practice. In fact, I like practice more than the games, because I get to go at my teammates hard. That's when you find out what they're made of, how much you can push some to get the most out of 'em, and how you have to back off others so you don't lose 'em."

"What can I do that I'm not already doing?" he said, according to the newspaper. "I've increased treatment before and after I play, but there's no way of knowing what's going on under there unless I take an MRI once a month.

"When do I push them? When do I pat them on the back? Every individual is different. Some players you finesse. Some you contest. It's a constant dance. It's a constant search of the perfect rhythm."

The results of Bryant's rededication to practice: The Lakers are 4-2 since Christmas, including the 104-85 disaster against the Grizzlies.

Back to top Go down

LA LAKERS BEGINNING OF THE END? Empty Re: LA LAKERS BEGINNING OF THE END?

Post by LACELTFAN Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:00 pm

I'm going to have to steal from Mark Twain and twist it a bit but...
news of the impending death of the Lakers is greatly exaggerated...
I wouldn't count them out, no chance.
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:55 pm

I wouldnt either. They remind me of US EXACTLY from last year.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:16 pm

i'll wait for the clock to say 00:00 in game 7 with the celtics celebrating before i'm going to call an end to the Lakers yrs as the West's top dogs
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:27 pm

But I will say if we can be healthy at the end I think we got em this year. Them and everybody else that gets in our way.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:37 pm

Speaking of healthy, we should all be getting to bed about now.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:56 pm

worcester

these damn steroids wont let me sleep. they got me takin em to counter balance a really strong nausea med i have to take so i can eat.

But i only have to take one more steroid...thank gawd.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:57 pm

Jeb, did i see somewhere u work in the visuel arts world?
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:01 am

i am a production designer for film projects Matty.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:54 am

Lakers are like us more or less...

Old when they lose, experienced when they win.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:19 am

Hi,
It's sad if it's true. I'd rather have Celtics beating Lakers in the finals than any other team. No competition for the taste of that victory, hands down. Well, the distant second is beating Mia, but it's ECF.
Oops, sorry - I turned my time machine on by accident.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Brandon Roy's career is close to being over because he's bone-on-bone. It just makes it hard to play extended minutes, game after game, when you are like that.

The Lakers don't want to be a road team in the playoffs but, then again, they don't need to be. If Kobe can suck it up, and there's NO doubt in my mind that he will, then the Lakers will be fine in the playoffs because that's when he'll turn it on. He's a money player.

Next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, is something else. That's a looong damn time to be running and jumping on a knee with little to no cartilage.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:07 pm

I very much dislike Kobe, as both a player and a person. But I would never wish him ill health. One thing he has going for him is access to state-of-the-art treatment. Already in existence are means for generating cartilage growth in joints; and the research in this area of great need is prolific.

Here' a link to one such approach:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=113003

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Gee, I didn't know they still had a team All I hear about are the fantastic Clippers and Griffin. LOL
No, don't count them out. They have great players who have the ability to overcome Guru Phil and their other obstacles. They are a team in decline, as Kobe is getting old, and all the wear and tear on him is definitely taking its toll. At this point, KG might have a longer shelf life.

Did anybody catch Bob Ryan on PTI the other day bemoaning the fact that ESPN and the other providers weren't televising the Celtics/Spurs game? It was great, best thing he's said in years. LOL
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down