+5
bobc33
worcester
NYCelt
willjr
Sam
9 posters

Go down

A Trivia Question about John Havlicek Empty A Trivia Question about John Havlicek

Post by Sam Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:23 pm

I don't believe one Celtic ever called John Havlicek "Hondo." At least I never heard or read of them doing it. That moniker was all about the fans and the press.

What was the Celtics players' nickname for John Havlicek?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

A Trivia Question about John Havlicek Empty Re: A Trivia Question about John Havlicek

Post by willjr Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:16 pm

Sam, the only reference I could find was that he was sometimes called "cek".
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

A Trivia Question about John Havlicek Empty Re: A Trivia Question about John Havlicek

Post by NYCelt Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:01 pm

Sam,

I have no idea; I thought everyone called him Hondo.

Did I ever tell you about the forward on my college alma mater's team who was nicknamed Hondo after Havlicek?

The women's team successfully recruited his sister and from the moment she hit campus she was known as Honda. I'm not sure she liked it but it stuck and she accepted it nonetheless. Both were outstanding forwards.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:27 am

Phidippides?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:33 am

the bouncing buckeye?

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:40 am

Holy Chipotle Bob, who is the avatar babe?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:27 am

worcester wrote:Holy Chipotle Bob, who is the avatar babe?

I wish I knew; I like her for her accoutrements. You know, the Celtics koozie and bottle opener.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:03 am

Will, I think you got it. They called him "Check," although I don't know exactly how it's spelled. Well done.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Here's a trivia question I just made up. Why did Big Daddy Lipscomb say, "Get that Spear out of my side."

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:21 pm

Because he felt persecuted by the media.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:06 pm

Johnny Most called him "jarrin John" but I bet he was the only one who did
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:12 pm

Gene "Big Daddy" Lipscomb part of the Baltimore Colt defensive line which also included Art Donovan, Don Joyce, Ordell Braase, and Gino, The Giant, Marchetti. These guys terrorized quarterbacks, most notable Charley Connerly in the '58 & '59 NFL championship games. I never knew the spear-side comment reference that is attributed to Big Daddy. Johnny U. also said it puzzled him concerning Lipscomb's apparent drug overdose after being traded to Pittsburg in 1962. #19 said Daddy was terrified of needles.-MD

Last edited by MDCelticsFan on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : mispelled word)

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:43 pm

Whoa Bob...talk about bouncing buckeyes!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:19 pm

John showed up at the Cleveland Browns training camp in 1962, fresh from playing a pivotal role in the NCAA championship, but not having picked up a football since high school. Woody Hayes had pursued him all over the campus, calling him the "best quarterback in Ohio not playing football." Too bad, Woody, but the basketball gods had different plans.

He was 6' 5", 205 pounds and could run like no one before or since, so Paul Brown tried him at wide receiver. The Browns players nicknamed him 'Spear'.

Soon enough, he threw a block that freed Jim Brown for a long gain, down inside the ten yard line. In the huddle they said, 'Good block, Spear." They pointed to Big Daddy and said, "Next play, you get to block him."

Big Daddy was over six feet tall and weighed in excess of 300 pounds. He looked like he ate rookies at training table. Spear dutifully blocked down the line and disappeared under the huge bulk of one the toughest players in the game. When the pile unraveled, John was on the bottom, his helmet and shoulder pads twisted sideways, but he still had all his fingers and toes. History didn't record what Big daddy might have said, but John later quoted himself in a Frank Deford story in Sports Illustrated as saying, "Boy, this is a tough game."

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:49 pm

I would have guessed "LUNGS" cause he must have ginormous lungs.
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down