TONIGHT ESPN 7PM EST CELTICS - THE ASSOCIATION PART 3

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

TONIGHT ESPN 7PM EST CELTICS - THE ASSOCIATION PART 3 Empty TONIGHT ESPN 7PM EST CELTICS - THE ASSOCIATION PART 3

Post by 112288 Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:08 pm

ESPN MAIN CHANNEL

Back to top Go down

TONIGHT ESPN 7PM EST CELTICS - THE ASSOCIATION PART 3 Empty Re: TONIGHT ESPN 7PM EST CELTICS - THE ASSOCIATION PART 3

Post by TickTock Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:21 pm

Man was tough to see the part where Perk returned. Guessing we'll see footage about the trade on part 4, should be interesting.
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

TONIGHT ESPN 7PM EST CELTICS - THE ASSOCIATION PART 3 Empty Re: TONIGHT ESPN 7PM EST CELTICS - THE ASSOCIATION PART 3

Post by 112288 Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:37 pm

Ya,

The ending was not good either. It showed yesterday.

For one Doc did not like this deal.

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:47 pm

Yeah I saw that. Doc looked close to tears. Also I thought I heard a little anger in Pierce's voice when he said "we just hope Danny and Doc know what they are doing" or something to that effect. Going to be an interesting couple of days that's for sure.
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:58 pm

Welcome aboard Tick Tock...wish I was down where you are nice and warm doing some bone fishing!

We have a great fan & board ...a spill over from Boston.com which began to turn from talking sports to talking trash about board members. This board is very very special ......and I consider everyone an extended family member!

You'll not only find that we all "CELTIC NATION" here but we all gather as one if a board member is having personal difficulties. I can attest to that personally with the warm support and prayers everyone extended to me and my daughter who was hospitalized and lost sight in one eye recently due to a virus. She said that it really helped her gain mental strength after reading all the emails sent to her!

Looking forward to reading your posts!

PS

If you do plan to come to Boston we try to arrange a group dinner.

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:26 pm

112288 wrote:Welcome aboard Tick Tock...wish I was down where you are nice and warm doing some bone fishing!

We have a great fan & board ...a spill over from Boston.com which began to turn from talking sports to talking trash about board members. This board is very very special ......and I consider everyone an extended family member!

You'll not only find that we all "CELTIC NATION" here but we all gather as one if a board member is having personal difficulties. I can attest to that personally with the warm support and prayers everyone extended to me and my daughter who was hospitalized and lost sight in one eye recently due to a virus. She said that it really helped her gain mental strength after reading all the emails sent to her!

Looking forward to reading your posts!

PS

If you do plan to come to Boston we try to arrange a group dinner.

Thank you so much for the welcome 112288, as I have said in other posts I truly feel at home here and am truly thankful for how gracious everyone has been.

I lived in Boston from 96 to 99 and fell in love with Boston and all the Boston sports teams and still follow all of them like a diehard here. I unfortunately have not been back since then but definitely plan to in the future and would love it if we could arrange a group dinner then.

Lastly I want to say that I deeply saddened to hear about your daughter and would like to wish every ounce of my support to her, you, and your family. If there should ever be anything with which I may be able to assist do not hesitate to ask, that goes to all the board members here.
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:30 pm

THANKS TICK TOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:10 pm

No need to thank me 112288, as you said we are all an extended family here. I would just like to say that I truly do feel as though I have gained 180 new family members overnight and am grateful to have been accepted on the board so easily and so kindly. I see I have a found an extremely rare and unique place not only on the web but in life, for it's rare to find a place where one is accepted immediately, and I will never stop being thankful for finding it.

Thank You again to everyone who has welcomed me. I look forward to discussing Celtics and everything else with all of you for a long time to come.
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:36 pm

Tick Tock, another thing you should know (if you haven't already realized it) is that the board is open to people who would like to be friends of Celtics fans, even if they root for other teams. We have three stalwart Lakers fans ("Baby Sky Hook," "Mustang Gator," and "tjmakz") and one avowed neutral ("Outside") who are all very welcome members of the family. (Does that sound too "Godfatherish?")

No doubt, these guys have had to to many tongue-holding exercises to keep from lashing out against the die-hard Celtics tone of the board. And there have been a few semi-tense moments. But one of the wonderful things about this board is that the social maturity of all members seems to gravitate toward finding peaceful resolutions to such situations.

We have held several parties—some before we left Boston.com and others since this board was formed in October, 2009. Venues have included Boston (a number of times), New York City, and San Francisco. Attendance has ranged from a low of three to a high upward of 20. But the fun quotient has never varied. Significant others have always been welcome.

There's usually some initiative to have a party that includes watching a game together during the first round of the playoffs (a scheduling safeguard in case the unthinkable happens). We'll see what happens this year. Unfortunately, I'll be out of the country April 20-May 1 and so will probably not be in attendance, but I'm hoping others will carry the ball. ("Unfortunately" is a poor choice of words, because it will be a very special trip that will be the culmination of 15 years of work.)

Anyway, I never saw mention of where you are, but warm sounds great.

Take care,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:41 pm

Thanks so much for posting about this program, which I thought was great. There's something about watching the Celtics winning in L.A. that makes the legs weak! I don't know when you're finding time to do all of your informative posting in your demanding schedule, but we're all very grateful.

Love to Chloe. She really needs to be at the next party.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi Sam,

Currently I live in the Caribbean although I will likely only be there until next year.

I saw that the board was not only for Celtic fans but have not seen any of the four posters you mentioned. I have always had great respect for fans of other teams and while of course things may sometimes get heated, I see no reason for things to ever get ugly. I always look forward to meeting and having intelligent non abusive discussions with fans of all teams and my conduct here will reflect that.

Congratulations on the 15 years of hard work, I hope you enjoy every second of the trip.
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:45 pm

Thanks Sam, Chloe and the other twin Nicole will certainly attend...probably because they can now drink legally.

Just an FYI, don't let Nicole suggest to anyone a golfing date and ask for strokes...she's aiming for the LPGA tour.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:09 am

I hope NYCelt, Beat and Bobc will read you message and will heed your warning about Nicole. I hope to meet both of them and see you and your wife again. Hoping for the possibility you'll wind up living in this area.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:11 am

Tick Tock,

Do you know anything about St. Kitts? We're going there before our Paris trip. (When you live on Cape Cod, this is the only time of year you can get away. You're trying to make a buck the rest of the year.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:03 am

sam wrote:Tick Tock,

Do you know anything about St. Kitts? We're going there before our Paris trip. (When you live on Cape Cod, this is the only time of year you can get away. You're trying to make a buck the rest of the year.)

Sam

Sam,

I actually do know about St. Kitts, I visited it about two years ago. I live on Antigua and St. Kitts is actually quite close. I did not get to see much of St. Kitts as I was only there for 1 night (had to take an exam there), however what I did see was quite nice. It is a relatively small island (although I lived on maybe the smallest in the Caribbean so who am I to talk Smile ), I think it's about 65 square miles if I remember correctly, but I did enjoy the one day there. The streets there are in much better shape than they are here and the airport was one of the cleanest and up to date that I've seen in the Caribbean. The people were very friendly too (not always the case here). Are you staying there or just stopping over on the way to Paris?
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:28 am

Tick Tock

I bet you listen to a lot of Bankie Banx?

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:36 am

I mainly listen to Marley when it comes to Reggae and Marley is still what you hear in most places but Bankie Banx is quite popular too. Although I don't listen to Reggae all that much since my music taste is extremely varied, I pretty much like a little bit of everything.
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:44 am

BABKIE BANX IS SOME WHAT RAGGAE BUT HE IS MORE LIKE BOB DYLAN IN HIS MUSIC.

But I am always a Parrot Head at heart....long live Jimmy Buffet!

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:18 am

Ok will definitely check out some of Bankie Banx's stuff then. Will have to listen to some Buffet stuff again so we can have something to talk about besides celtics, what are some of your favorites?
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:37 am

Tick Tock,

Separate trips. St. Kitts with seven friends in about three weeks and Paris the last week of April. We'll be in St. Kitts for a week, and I try to surf the Net every day to find out about anything I've missed. We'll be staying at a Marriott Resort for which a friend traded his two time shares and got a three-bedroom, three bath unit and a two-bedroom, two bath unit. We're not really resort people, but his deal enabled us to get the week for $300. We had the same deal (same group) last year in Aruba and got along famously.

The beaches are an obvious draw. But I'm sort of interested in the zip line where you slide in a harness on this cable above the rainforest and about 250 feet above a river. But the number one thing we normally enjoy in any place is meeting and watching people. So it's comforting to hear what you had to say about the people.

The Paris thing is somewhat emotional. (In fact, I admit to tearing up just anticipating it.) My wife and I have been Parisphiles ever since she introduced me to the City of Light for a delayed honeymoon about 30 years ago. She created a monster. I mean, if we were to travel from Cape Cod to Australia, I'd try to find a way to stop over in Paris. It's that intense!

We've been to Paris so many times that a list of recommendations for friends has evolved over the years into a book called "Paris Demystified," which has been 15 years in the making. My wife (a French scholar since she was tutored starting at age 7) took care of the French language portions, and I wrote the prose.

The book offers unique perspective—a book by tourists for tourists—with the underlying goal of making people become quickly comfortable with a city that can be daunting by planning in advance and anticipating the many challenges that Paris can pose so as to avoid or mitigate them. We hope readers will ultimately fall in love with Paris the way we have, and we offer concrete tips toward that end. We'll almost certainly never make back the money we've invested in this venture, and frankly that was never our objective. We just want people to appreciate and love Paris.

Each year, we've updated drafts of the book (no mean feat for a travel book) and have given it to friends to use and critique while in Paris. So it's a combination of our own thoughts and helpful perspectives of those who have used the book. And we've laced it with illustrative stories of our own Paris and France adventures, many of which we consider rather incredible.

Anyway, early in the going, we became friendly with the proprietor of a famous Paris Bookstore called Shakespeare and Company. Its historic antecedents go back to the 1920s when one of my heroes named Sylvia Beach (an American expatriot) opened the store, which became an American literary outpost for struggling authors such as Hemingway, James Joyce, Scott Fitzgerald, etc. Sylvia gave them a place to sleep in return for work; she lent them money although she had very little; and she bankrolled, personally typed the manuscript, and published Joyce's landmark "Ulysses" when he faced obscenity charges and no one else would touch it.

During the German occupation of Paris, a German Officer entered the store and rudely demanded that Sylvia sell him her copy of Joyce's "Finnegan's Wake." When she refused, he promised to return later that day and close her store. He kept his promise and returned to find....absolutely nothing. Everything, from books to furniture to shelves to lamps was gone, and Sylvia and her friends had even painted over the sign. Shakespears & Company had simply disappeared.

Sylvia never reopened the store, although she had other adventures including internment in a German camp, where she became an outspoken advocate for mistreated Jewish inmates. She eventually died (I believe it was in 1952). A Boston transplant named George Whitman bought half of her inventory of books (including a number of very valuable antiquarian and first editions) and opened a new iteration of Shakespeare & Company at a different location overlooking Notre Dame and the Seine.

George carried on Sylvia's tradition of offering shelter for work to struggling authors, with the one condition that they had to read a book a day. It's an English language bookstore. They hold a tea party at 4:00 each Sunday. It's free for everyone, and it's a great place to meet English-speaking people who love Paris, George, and writing in just about any order.

George has an eccentric streak. For example,he actually burns his long, scraggly hair rather than getting haircuts. His motto is, "Be not inhospitable to strangers lest they be angels in disguise." When he learned we were writing a book, he became our writing mentor and even offered us an opportunity to stay in the bookshop (which we politely declined). We've taken different iterations to show him for constructive criticism, and he even carried one very rough version in the store for a while.

Anyway, the upshot of this very long tale is we finally self-published the book at the beginning of this year through a company called Trafford Publishing. (You can see a picture and description of it at www.Trafford.com, and it's also sold online at Amazon, Borders, and Barnes & Noble.) This trip to Paris will be a very emotional journey mainly for the purpose of presenting a copy to George and hopefully to get him to autograph a copy for us. He's now age 97, and his daughter, Sylvia Beach Whitman, has taken over the reins of the bookstore...including introducing modern stuff such as an actual telephone, a (gasp) computer, a biennial literary festival, and (soon to come) a theater, a publishing company, and a café next door.

The book's dedication reads: "Dedicated to Sylvia Beach, George Whitman, and Sylvia Beach Whitman...Spiritual Shepherds to the Literary Flock in the City of Enlightenment." I check on George online every day to make sure he's still alive (he's still in pretty good health at 97). You can understand why this will be an extremely emotional experience.

Sorry to drag on for so long. I hope I haven't bored you too much. Thanks for the info on St. Kitts.

Goodnight,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:50 am

Tick Tock

Bankie Banx - Albums - Amazing Grace 27 years of songs, Still in Paradise & Chariots of Steel

Jimmy Buffet Albums - Live In Anguilla with Bankie Banx, Live At Fenway Park, Meet Me In Margaritaville, Far Side Of The World,Barometer Soup, Fruitcakes, Last Mango In Paris, Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes & Son Of A Son Of A Sailor

NOW IF YOU MEAN WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT BEING DIVERSE TRY THIS GROUP

PINK MARTINI

Albums - Hang On Little Tomato, Hey Eugene & Sympathique

PS I am very diverse as well...anyone for Bach!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:52 am

Bankie Banx - Albums - Amazing Grace 27 years of songs, Still in Paradise & Chariots of Steel

Jimmy Buffet Albums - Live In Anguilla with Bankie Banx, Live At Fenway Park, Meet Me In Margaritaville, Far Side Of The World,Barometer Soup, Fruitcakes, Last Mango In Paris, Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes & Son Of A Son Of A Sailor

NOW IF YOU MEAN WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT BEING DIVERSE TRY THIS GROUP

PINK MARTINI

Albums - Hang On Little Tomato, Hey Eugene & Sympathique

PS I am very diverse as well...anyone for Bach!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:57 am

Sam you should listen to Pink Martini as well.....the music dates all over from Paris 1930's-40's to Italy to U.S. present. Not Rockn' Roll for sure. 16 piece orchestra. Two main people Piano and Diva singer came out of Harvard University
schooled in classical music.

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:00 am

Sam,

That story didn't bore me one bit and I'm thankful that you took the time to share it with me.
Everyone in my immediate family has been to Paris at least once and each returned with excellent memories and a longing to return. I unfortunately have been only once and that was almost ten years ago and my memory of the trip has clouded a bit. Therefore going back to Paris has been at the top of my list for quite some time now and I hope to finally be able to accomplish that next year. If and when I do get closer to a return to Paris I will certainly buy the latest addition of you and your wife's book. And will certainly check out Shakespeare and Company.

Thank you again for the wonderful story and I wish you all the best on the trip.
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:00 am

Will definitely check out everything you posted above, including Pink Martini Smile
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next