Hawks assess trade interest in Smith

4 posters

Go down

Hawks assess trade interest in Smith Empty Hawks assess trade interest in Smith

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:54 am

Hawks assess trade interest in Smith

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

The Atlanta Hawks have started to gauge trade interest on forward Josh Smith(notes), and Smith isn’t averse to ending his seven-year stay with his hometown team, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Monday.

Smith hasn’t requested a trade, but has privately told league friends that the Boston Celtics, New Jersey Nets, Houston Rockets and Orlando Magic are his preferred destinations should the Hawks decide to move him.

“The relationship has run its course,” said a league source with knowledge of the dynamic.

There’s been growing acrimony between Smith and the organization, sources said, largely because of the feeling that Smith has been too convenient of a scapegoat. Smith had one of his most complete seasons for the Hawks, averaging 16.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and 3.3 assists.

Josh Smith has spent all seven of his NBA seasons playing for the Hawks.

Payroll is an issue for the Hawks, too, and Smith’s contract – which has two years and $25.6 million remaining – is an attractive target for management to unload, if, for no other reason, than the five years, $110 million left on Joe Johnson’s(notes) deal is far more difficult to move.

The Hawks have looked to identify veteran players near the end of their contracts, sources said, but have had no serious discussions on trading Smith.

“They’re looking for a change,” one Eastern Conference executive said. “They would die to be rid of Joe Johnson’s contract or move Smith, but they won’t give [Smith] away. They want something in return.”

Dwight Howard(notes) has been a proponent of the Magic trying to make a deal for Smith, a childhood friend, but general manager Otis Smith is low on assets. Houston has long been intrigued with Smith, but like Orlando and New Jersey, also probably doesn’t have the right pieces to make a trade. Hawks GM Rick Sund has long coveted Kevin Garnett(notes) and Ray Allen(notes) – two aging Celtics entering the final years of contracts – but Celtics GM Danny Ainge has yet to show an inclination to break up his core for next season.

This is one of those tough decisions that Danny Ainge keeps talking about. When he's brought up the past where the Celtics were afraid to break up the Big 3 at the end of their run... this is the kind of deal he's talking about having passed on.

I'm not going to pump Josh Smith up in to some kind of superstar. Not yet anyway. But he's got that kind of potential. He's a good, mobile defender who can get out and run. Yes, he settles for a few too many jumpers, but he's also shown the ability to get aggressive. And again, he's only 25.

How many times have we mentioned the need for an athletic big to run with Rondo? Put Josh Smith in there with him and maybe they can re-live their Oak Hill days:

On the flip side, you lose a steady force. Ray Allen has been a loyal soldier for the Celtics. But Danny Ainge has been clear about setting emotions aside and making deals he thinks will help this team.

If you put your emotions aside too, you'll see that this deal can help the Celtics. I don't WANT to see Ray Allen go. But I do want Josh Smith. I want Smith to learn from Kevin Garnett. I want Smith to run the break with Rondo. And I want Smith to be part of the Celtics future. He is the youth and size we need and he can slide into KG's power forward role once he retires, which is coming soon.

If he really wants out of Atlanta, and he really wants to come to Boston, and Atlanta really wants someone like Ray Allen (who can help a young playoff team grow up a little)... then this is something the Celtics HAVE to explore.

Back to top Go down

Hawks assess trade interest in Smith Empty Re: Hawks assess trade interest in Smith

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:49 am

Dont really get this deal.

I like Josh Smith, but isnt he really just Jeff Green with a lower basketball IQ?

Not to mention, the Hawks already have a number of good shooting guards....why would they want Ray Allen?

If you make this deal and include KG - in exchange for Josh Smith and maybe Zaza, I might buy it. But otherwise, I think the C's are better with KG and Green.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Hawks assess trade interest in Smith Empty Re: Hawks assess trade interest in Smith

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:55 am

MK

I would say Ray's expiring contract vs. Smith 2 years $25M.
Who knows?

Back to top Go down

Post by celtic fan Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:16 am

112288 wrote:MK

I would say Ray's expiring contract vs. Smith 2 years $25M.
Who knows?

but the article says the Hawks want something in return. Ray is a nice piece but not great compenstation for a 25 yr old shot blocker who's learned tos top taking so many 3s and play inside.

IMO Smith is not at all like Green. He plays more like a PF with his rebounding and shot blocking.

Smith+Green frontcourt with Rondo at PG for the future=not baaaad. Still not a lot of outside shooting from those 3 and none of them are traditional post up players either.

celtic fan

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:29 am

Maybe a sign and trade of Big Baby.

Back to top Go down

Post by celtic fan Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:24 pm

big baby and Ray Allen would work but as mentioned the Hawks don't really need a SG.

celtic fan

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:11 pm

Celtics fan

The Hawks do need another shooter especially if Jamal Crawford leaves.
Trade Ray Allen
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by celtic fan Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:47 am

it'd have to be Allen + though. Smith will draw better offers from other teams than just Ray Allen's expiring contract. Unless cutting cap is their priority.

Wonder how a lineup of KG/Smith/Green/PP/Rondo would do. Or does that automatically move Green to the bench and leave a hole at SG?

or would doing a S&T with green for smith work better? I guess it would depend on how much they sign green for if the Hawks are looking to cut costs.

Not sure if a future lineup of Smith/Green/Rondo is that enticing as none are great outside shooters, nor are great post up players either. They'd be great 2-4 players with an elite scorer though.

celtic fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down