willjr
NESportsfan12
DJ
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your Favorite ALL-TIME non-Celtic Empty Your Favorite ALL-TIME non-Celtic

Post by DJ Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:15 am

We all have our fave Celtic, be it Cousy,Sam,Larry,Cowens,Rex Morgan,etc.......give us "that other guy"--the one you always wished was a Celtic because of his work ethic,style,or the fact that you just liked his game.
I'll start....

Elgin Baylor----unparalled offensive moves (dr.j before dr.j),terrific rebounder and great passer.Mid to late career hampered by knee problems---the greates "hangin" jump shot in nba history.

DJ

Back to top Go down

Your Favorite ALL-TIME non-Celtic Empty Re: Your Favorite ALL-TIME non-Celtic

Post by NESportsfan12 Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:22 am

Kobe Bryant- He has a great attitude, and is always there when his team needs him most-- be it for a big shot, or a pat on the back when things aren't going well. His teammates can always count on him to be encouraging when they make a mistake, and that is a very undervalued trait in a superstar. He's ridiculously modest and loyal, and understands that his place is in the NBA with the Lakers and Phil Jackson.
OK... that's not even a funny joke. I haven't been around for too long, so I'm going to have to go with Hakeem Olajuwan-- I caught the later part of his career, and always loved to watch him play-- plus, he was UNSTOPPABLE in NBA jam when i was a kid Smile
NESportsfan12
NESportsfan12

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:47 am

Bernard King! Not only was he a great player, he was tough as nails and struck more fear in my heart than anyone, including Jerry West and Andrew Toney, ever did.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:11 am

Interestingly, Bernard King is way up on my list as well. I wore #30 in High School in his honor.

I also really liked Charles Barkley and Karl Malone. Almost anyone that liked to bang under the boards was my kind of player.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:12 am

Dennis Rodman (pre-wingnut version) was my favorite. For many years the premier defensive player and the league's leading rebounder.

He covered Larry, he covered Magic, he even volunteered to cover Ewing.

Plus he married Carmen Electra.

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:20 am

I'd have to say David Robinson was my favorite non-Celtic. ROY in '90, DPOY in '92, league MVP in '95. He was a beast on the boards, great defensive player, and he could score. He's the only player in NBA history to be named to an All-NBA team and All-defensive team in each of his first 7 seasons. Not bad, I'd say!
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:39 am

I've always hated having to "pick just one". Doesn't matter if it's b-ball players or appetizers. It's one of the great attractions about dim sum to me.

Hmmm. Assuming I don't go with the more obvious MJ...

The Big O was an extremely versatile player. Only player to ever average a triple-double for an entire season. That makes me feel good about scoring, passing and rebounding. He won an NBA championship (didn't hurt having Kareem, Lucius Allen and Bobby Dandridge on the team either). 12x NBA All-Star, 3x NBA All-Star MVP.

But how do you leave out West and Baylor? How can you not love Sloan's smashmouth defense? Bernard King was one of the greatest and most unstoppable players to ever come down the left wing on a fast break. Solid as a rock Jack Sikma. The Irresistable Force Moses Malone. The Immovable Object Chamberlain. Frazier (without his hats). 6'7", 290# Wes Unseld, who you needed to take a cab to get around but had as good an outlet pass as you've ever seen. The Dream. The Worm. The Pistol. Dr. J. Magic. Stockton/Malone (they're one player right?).

Now you know why I'm so bad at these type of questions. The more I think about it, the more I think about it.

How about your favorite ACTIVE non-Celtic? The list is a lot shorter then.
How about your favorite non-Celtic that wasn't a star?

I gotta go lie down now and take a "time-out".

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:46 am

Loved to watch the late Randy Smith from the Buffalo Braves.

Adrian Dantley

In college in 76 my floor of my dorm pooled our money and sent a check to the US Olympic committee with the single request that this money be used to buy Dantleys shoes so he could jump all over the Russians as a bit of a payback for the Munich fiasco in 72. We got a nice letter from Dantley back a few week after the games thanking us.

Earl Monroe

Still can't figure out if that spin move was palming or traveling.

Rick Barry

Man could shoot from ANYWHERE!

As for other non celtics........... Maravich before he became one

Dr J

Never cared to watch Jorden still don't, same with Magic. Never cared about any Laker with the possible exception of West.

probably others but that about sums it up

beat

Last edited by beat on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by carpecarpium Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:54 am

Favorite active non-Celtic? It has to be Tim Duncan. Yes, we all know he's one of the all time greats but what I really enjoy about him is that he's the model of the saying "be quick but don't hurry."

There are times when he has a good shot but, because he's so patient and poised, he gets an even better one by waiting a fraction of a second.

Favorite non Celtic that wasn't a star? Michael Cooper and Bobby Jones. But I guess it depends on how you define "star."

carpecarpium

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:56 am

beat wrote:Loved to watch the late Randy Smith from the Buffalo Braves.

Adrian Dantley

In college in 76 my floor of my dorm pooled our money and sent a check to the US Olympic committee with the single request that this money be used to by Dantleys shoes so he could jump all over the Russians as a bit of a payback for the Munich fiasco in 72. We got a nice letter from Dantley back a few week after the games thanking us.

Earl Monroe

Still can't figure out if that spin move was palming or traveling.

Rick Barry

Man could shoot from ANYWHERE!

As for other non celtics........... Maravich before he became one

Dr J

Never cared to watch Jorden still don't, same with Magic. Never cared about any Laker with the possible exception of West.

probably others but that about sums it up

beat

beat,

Forgot about AD. A tweener who knew how to work it. I remember how he used to reach around the ball and spin it 180 degrees in his hand just before a free throw.

The Pearl's move was a palm. I never mentioned it back then because I was a Knick fan, but it was a palm.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by carpecarpium Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:01 pm

AD was one tough hombre. The C's would put McHale on him and AD's shots always seemed to clear the half foot taller McHale's fingertips by about a nano inch.

carpecarpium

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:18 pm

DJ

Another great topic. For me it is Tim Duncan and it aint even close. He kept me san during the years we were so down. He has complete command of his footwork and carries himself like an old time Celtic. His team defense is second to none. Ever. At least amongst the players I have seen. As much as it pains me to say it I think he noses out KevinMcHale for best ever ( I feel KG could be in this conversation with another ring)

I dont think I would have been able to hang tough through the zen master gloatathon without Dunc and the Spurs. Pop was also such a nice low key foil to Philofcrap.

It (being from tennessee) does my heart good to hear so many mention King. He and Grunfeld made life fun for a while for the Vols.

Great topic DJ

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:26 pm

jeb65 wrote:DJ

Another great topic. For me it is Tim Duncan and it aint even close. He kept me san during the years we were so down. He has complete command of his footwork and carries himself like an old time Celtic. His team defense is second to none. Ever. At least amongst the players I have seen. As much as it pains me to say it I think he noses out KevinMcHale for best ever ( I feel KG could be in this conversation with another ring)

I dont think I would have been able to hang tough through the zen master gloatathon without Dunc and the Spurs. Pop was also such a nice low key foil to Philofcrap.

It (being from tennessee) does my heart good to hear so many mention King. He and Grunfeld made life fun for a while for the Vols.

Great topic DJ

Jeb

Jeb,

I know I'm repeating myself, but...

I could watch The Big Fundamental's footwork endlessly. His high school coach in St. Croix should be bronzed. Even if he's still alive. His hardwork and dedication has made his #1 student a joy to watch every single game.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:31 pm

Bobheck

KEPT me watching nba. I would have quit or just checked in on the green ever so often. After that game six in sacto I was so very close to turning it off for good.

I have a pair of Tim Duncan's shorts from a adidas shoot. I was not on the job but my buddy was. You cant get your head around how huge they are. Giant.

I also play tennis so I watch peoples footwork. It is a very important part of hoop.

And the foundation for tennis.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:46 pm

DJ,

Great question.

For me it's Kareem. One of the game's great scorers and rebounders and overlooked at times for his overall defense. Not many could defend that sky hook. In my book one of 3 or 4 players in the debate for greatest individual player ever.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:01 pm

NYCelt

Kareem still made the one play I saw live, that I will never forget.

My buddy and I were in the Aud in Buffalo for an early season game with Milwaukee fall of 1975 I believe. We got out "passes' and made our way to the upper press box that was high above the court. Well, Kenny Charles took about an 18 foot jumper from the left elbow extened a step or so. Kareem was on the other side of the lane and took about two steps as charles released the ball. Kareem leaped up and sort of just snatched the ball out of the air with one hand. He was closer to charles than the basket but he was at least 2 steps away from him when he did this. I remember my friend and I looking at each other and saying "did you see that!!' the entire crowd was sort of in awe. Lot of silence from no way that was humanly possible.

One other bit story, as with our "press' passes we could get into the locker rooms after games. Well everybody was crowded around Jabbar. me, I always looked for a role, non star, player to talk to. As Steve Kuberski was on that team I thought I'd make my way over to his locker the other side of Jabbar.

Now I am just a tad under 6 feet tall. As I was threading my way through a mass of people in a small locker room I was suddenly in front of a mostly nude figure who's belly button was nearly at my eye level. As I slowly raised my head to look up it was Jabbar. How tall was he really I tought at least 8 feet right then and there!!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:20 pm

beat,

Those passes from when you were at Geneseo State were obviously worth their weight in gold.

As time goes by it's getting hard to remember the Buffalo Braves, although the Sacramento Kings are much more forgettable!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:23 pm

My favorite non Celtic player was Walt "Clyde" Frazier. From the late 60's to the mid 70's he was the premier defensive guard in the league and knew how to get the ball to Bradley, Debusscherre, Reed, Monroe, Barnett, and Lucas where they had the most chance to be successful. He only needed to drive his Rolls when he took trips away from the Big Apple.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:41 pm

NYCelt

If I told you the story about the anatomy of Garfield Heard............

Fred and I were in the Braves locker room after a game. The players were walking to and from the showers and some were sitting in front of their lockers. Fred was next to me a poked me in the ribs and said quietly too me. "look at ................................

OH MY GOD.

I'll let you fill in the blanks on this one

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:32 pm

Great thread...... Kareem is taken so I'd pick Magic Johnson.
I lived in LA during the 80's and got to see a lot of Laker games. He was someone to hate as a celtic fan but I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone do whatever the team needed at any given time like he did. For you young guys who didn't watch him play, check out his stats. I think only John Stockton has more assists than him.
I was fortunate enough to meet him after a Celtic game one year in the Forum club and I had an 86 Championship Celtics hat on. He smiled big and asked "Did Larry send you to spy on me?" He always stayed for autographs and was very fan friendly especially to kids.
His after career is equally impressive.
Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:25 pm

Hoopdee
Assists leaders

RankPlayerAST
1.John Stockton*15806
2.Mark Jackson10334
3.Jason Kidd10226
4.Magic Johnson*10141

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Hoopdee

Looking back on it I think an argument could be made Magic was the best all around team player ever.

And I know yall or goin to rain on me but that's what I think.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:42 pm

Jeb

gotta dis with you a little on this one.

John Havlicek is the best all around team player ever IMHO.

I don't think Hondo ever dribbled down the shot clock to one then made a pass ........late in a championship playoff game. Total mental lapse by Magic.

Hondo played with great teams and poor teams then great again. He won with 2 completely different sets of mates.
Did Magic win without Jabbar?

Hondo led his team in rebounding assists steals scoring shooting % at one time or another in his career. Did Majic lead his in as many?

John Havlicek is so far in front of magic he's in another time zone
Of course this is IMHO

Of course if you are considering non Celtics I might consider him but would need to think on it a bit.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:45 pm

Beat

Just caught the tail end of hondo. And highlite reels. You may very well be right.

Thanks for the response!

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:59 pm

Jeb,
That's a good argument. No rain from me. He also set the bar for assists for the two guys ahead of him. Did I mention he won a few championships? One where he played center against the 76ers because of an injury to Kareem. He was pretty darn good.
Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next