JaJuan Johnson: A Combination of Bob Dandridge & Butterbean Love?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

JaJuan Johnson: A Combination of Bob Dandridge & Butterbean Love?

Post by MDCelticsFan on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:24 am

JaJuan Johnson continues to impress. In extended minutes in both the Knicks and Grizzlies game this weekend past the youngster showcased a fluid gliding style that reminded me of a combination of Bobby Dandridge and Bob "Butterbean" Love. His physical make up is comparable to those two also. He's got confidence in his shot and also provides rebounding help when called upon. Doc needs to find minutes for him each game as well as E'Twan Moore. If those two continue to impress and Wilcox, Pietrus, and Bass are true to their recent form, the Celts just might make a deeper run in the play-offs than first thought off of the first 10 or so games back in December and early January. With the rest these guys can give Pierce, Garnett & Allen, they might stick around another year longer, but at a reduced rate. Bradley's contributions cannot be minimized, as well.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Posts: 1314
Join date: 2009-11-03
Age: 62

Back to top Go down

Re: JaJuan Johnson: A Combination of Bob Dandridge & Butterbean Love?

Post by bobheckler on Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:58 pm

6'10", 220# JJJ reminds you of 6'6", 195# HOFer Bobby Dandridge and 6'8" 215# HOFer Bob Love? Are you saying he plays small for his position?

Dandridge was a key player on a team with Oscar Robertson and Jabbar (then Lew Alcindor) that won a championship. He is considered one of the best small forwards of the '70s.

Bob Love was drafted by the Cincinnati Royals and didn't make the team. He made it a year later and played as a reserve. He was picked in the expansion draft by Milwaukee (meaning he was left unprotected). He was traded by Milwaukee to Chicago mid-season. 3x All-star.

Let's see if this kid plays this well twice, much less consistently. I don't mean to jinx the kid, but Steamer looked pretty freaking awesome his first extended time too...

Bradley still needs work in various parts of his game (shooting, for one, comes to mind) but he is figuring out what he does well and what he doesn't and is trying to parlay the former while minimizing the latter.

Playoffs are a completely different beast. Players who are just fine during the regular season but have no playoff experience often wilt under the pressure.

I'm glad you're feeling more positive about this team. The "realistic" perspective you bring to the table doesn't always come across as such...

bob

.

bobheckler

Posts: 14560
Join date: 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: JaJuan Johnson: A Combination of Bob Dandridge & Butterbean Love?

Post by MDCelticsFan on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:17 pm

Bob:

Not saying JJJ plays small. I'm saying his offensive arsenal, skill set reminds me of those two that I mentioned. Of couse with his size and hops (not beer) he looks to have outstanding potential rebounding ability.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Posts: 1314
Join date: 2009-11-03
Age: 62

Back to top Go down

Re: JaJuan Johnson: A Combination of Bob Dandridge & Butterbean Love?

Post by MDCelticsFan on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Bob:

You know, I would settle for a poor man's Kevin Durant if JJJ had 2/3 of KD's attributes!

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Posts: 1314
Join date: 2009-11-03
Age: 62

Back to top Go down

Re: JaJuan Johnson: A Combination of Bob Dandridge & Butterbean Love?

Post by NYCelt on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:30 pm

bobheckler wrote:Dandridge was a key player on a team with Oscar Robertson and Jabbar (then Lew Alcindor) that won a championship. He is considered one of the best small forwards of the '70s.

bob

.

Bob,

That has to be my favorite non-Celtic NBA team. They weren't together that long, but had a good run including a championship. I always thought Dandridge was one of the more under-rated forwards when the long comparison lists of "bests" are brought out and debated. It was often more of 4 guards and 1 big on the court when they would put Robertson, Allen, McGlocklin and Dandridge out there with Jabbar.

Real young bunch too; I think there was only something like 4 or 5 players on that roster with more than 2 years experience.

Regards

NYCelt

Posts: 4455
Join date: 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: JaJuan Johnson: A Combination of Bob Dandridge & Butterbean Love?

Post by bobheckler on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:57 pm

MDCelticsFan wrote:Bob:

You know, I would settle for a poor man's Kevin Durant if JJJ had 2/3 of KD's attributes!

MD!

2/3 of Durantula's offense, yes. 2/3 of his defense, no. I think OKC fans would say the exact opposite.

bob

.

bobheckler

Posts: 14560
Join date: 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: JaJuan Johnson: A Combination of Bob Dandridge & Butterbean Love?

Post by bobheckler on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:06 pm

NYCelt wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Dandridge was a key player on a team with Oscar Robertson and Jabbar (then Lew Alcindor) that won a championship. He is considered one of the best small forwards of the '70s.

bob

.

Bob,

That has to be my favorite non-Celtic NBA team. They weren't together that long, but had a good run including a championship. I always thought Dandridge was one of the more under-rated forwards when the long comparison lists of "bests" are brought out and debated. It was often more of 4 guards and 1 big on the court when they would put Robertson, Allen, McGlocklin and Dandridge out there with Jabbar.

Real young bunch too; I think there was only something like 4 or 5 players on that roster with more than 2 years experience.

Regards

I agree. Another Big 3 (Bobby D, the Big O and Alcindor). McGlocklin was a very solid 2 guard off the bench too. I forgot about Lucius Allen. Good one.

On an individual note, AD (Adrian Dantley) was another SF that nobody could figure out how to stop. Too strong for a SG to guard, too quick (and too good an outside shot to back off of) for SFs. I think Dandridge was more well-rounded, better on defense, but AD was uncontainable one-on-one when he had the ball out on top on a clear out.

bob

.

bobheckler

Posts: 14560
Join date: 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum