rondo vs rose

5 posters

Go down

rondo vs rose Empty rondo vs rose

Post by Matty Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:02 pm

very nice read..

http://realgm.net/src_feature_pieces/847/20091108/comparing_two_very_different_young_point_guards/
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

rondo vs rose Empty Re: rondo vs rose

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:42 pm

The guy advocating for Rose uses 10 or more BUNK examples.

After he claims that Rondo is not in any way a leader on the Celtics, I had to close the link. That is false and anyone that is THAT clueless, shouldn't get paid to write about the NBA. Sorry.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:13 pm

It seemed to me like the guy advocating for Rose really prefers Rondo and just had to make enough points to be credible. It didn't really sound like he believed his own arguments. I mean, he prefaced his points by stating:
"My preference of Derrick Rose over Rajon Rondo on the objective level of which player will have the superior individual career is somewhat problematic for me because I actually like Rondo more overall on the subjective level. Rondo is endearingly enigmatic and has become the most indispensable part of a championship contending, veteran-laden Celtics team."

It's obvious to me that Rose is a better scorer and scoring is what makes sportscenter highlights, not solid D and team play. For anyone who puts major stock in individual play and highlight reels, Rose is your man. If you want to see your team win a championship, Rondo is your man.

Thanks for the link Matty, it was a good read.
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:28 pm

It is all good when the media is comparing a recent #1 draft pick with our slightly older #21 draft pick.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:42 pm

I read it. I think Rose is a very very gifted hoop player. One of the best. They are being asked to do way different things for very different teams.

Rondo's efforts are a lot of the ones that never get noticed. As Kelly said.

I didn't get to see the Bulls games because I was working. DJ kept me informed via text. (lotsa text eh sore thumbs?) But is seems the two guys went straight at each other. Who won the matchup?

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:03 pm

Jeb I was at that Bulls game and Rondo was spectacular. He had 16 assists in that game. He only scored 2 points but it was irrelevant. What the Celtics needed him to do was distribute the ball, and he did it with gusto. I believe he was the catalyst for breaking the game wide open in the 3rd quarter. Rose finished that game with 10 points and 2 assists.
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:17 pm

Kelly as usual my limits with language messed things up!@#$$$$!!!

I was trying to refer to the 7 game series last year. I was able to see the game this year. In 7 though you are going to pretty well tell who the best guy is so what did you and everybody else think about that series last year in terms of who the better player was?

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:42 pm

Oh my bad, sorry for the confusion. Well Rondo was impressive in the playoff series as well. He nearly averaged a triple double for the entire playoffs last year, and I think he actually did average a triple double vs. the Bulls, although I can't find any stats to support that and I don't really feel like crunching numbers right now. I just remember hearing something to that effect last year. Rose was also impressive, but more so with his scoring and not so much with his ball distribition, defense, rebounds etc. Overall, I'd say Rondo outplayed Rose, but I'm also kinda partial to the men in green! (DJ if you are reading this note that I didn't use your least favorite word there) Very Happy
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:03 pm

OK, apparently I overestimated my ability to leave things unfinished! Some numbers for you. I apologize if they are off a bit, I did the calculations myself.

Rondo's averages through the 7 game playoff series:

Pts = 19.4 Reb = 9.3 Ast = 11.6

Rose's averages through the 7 game playoff series:

Pts = 19.7 Reb = 6.2 Ast = 6.4

I know stats aren't the ultimate factor, but they are pretty good for evaluating player to player performance within the same series.
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:15 pm

Sounds pretty even don't it. Like both players can flat ball.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:25 pm

The scoring was pretty even. Rondo scored 20+ points in 4 games (almost 5, 19 pts one game) compared to Rose's 3 games with 20+. The main difference was when Rondo wasn't putting up 20+ points, he was filling the stat sheet with assists (16, 19, 11) and rebounds (12, 9, 5). Rose, not so much. Of the 4 games he put up less than 20 points, his rebound #'s were 6, 3, 8 and 4. His assist #'s were 7, 2, 6, and 3.

They are both great players, and that was a great series.
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down