Refresher about our "Mulcogi Rocks" Initiative

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Refresher about our "Mulcogi Rocks" Initiative

Post by sam on Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 10:19

To the Board:

Many thanks to those members who have supported our "Mulcogi Rocks" initiative. In case anyone isn't unaware of it, I'm repeating my initial post that elicited support. I've added (in red) Mulcogi's post that explained his situation in an attempt to help others.

Initial post from Sam to the Forum:

October has traditionally been the month when forum subscription fees are due! As most of you know, in recent years, dues have previously been made on a purely voluntary basis. Initially, the proceeds were used for contest prizes; but, frankly, the contests never made the spash I had hoped for. We then turned our financial efforts to supporting people in need, making substantial donations to the Jimmy Fund and the Celtics Foundation. More recently, we lent our support to Jeb (a memorable experience for all of us) and flowers for Rosalie's homecoming from her hospitalization. This has been the year in which I have decided to make the forum completely dues free. I can handle any minor costs involved in running the forum.

Coincidentally, a board friend in great need has been identified, and I have been asked by a number of administrators and member s to rally around Mulcogi for the kind of support that has characterized this forum. If anyone has missed the posts about Mulcogi's travails, they may be accessed in the thread recent about Keyon Dooling's struggles.

I'm repeating the post in which Mulcogi revealed his plight, as he says, "not in an attempt to gain pity or some such but to appeal to everyone to look closely at family and friends who seem to be different but with no obvious signs of mental illness."

Mulcogi's post is in red below:

This article (about Keyon Dooling's struggles) really touched my heart. Like Dooling I had my own meltdown this past winter. As some of you know, I had a complete mental and physical breakdown which put me in the VA psych ward in May. I am now in psychotherapy and on a new med which hopefully won't compel me to suicide like the last one did. I have been suffering from PTSD and mood disorder since I was 14. It helps explain many facets of my life including the way I would post on forums such as this. While it would be easy to say that this experience has ruined my life at the moment, (five months homeless, loss of my business, self respect etc) I am grateful because it has brought to light these underlying mental conditions. I am now totally disabled living on a veteran's pension for people like me.

I share this info, not in an attempt to gain pity or some such, but to appeal to everyone to look closely at family and friends who seem to be different but with no obvious signs of mental illness. No one knew I had this issue in my life. No one intervened and suggested counseling or therapy. In order to survive my internal turmoil I developed coping mechanisms that helped hide what I was going through. I went years suffering, not knowing what was wrong but often asking friends if I seemed alright, was I crazy or what? I hope none of you have to go through something like this, but if you do, I sincerely wish that someone helps you to help yourself. The alternative is just not acceptable.
mulcogi

This is Sam again:

I'm hoping members will donate what they can to what I'm calling the "Mulcogi Rocks" initiative. The fact that we can back up our best wishes with something more tangible will be the best possible aid we could give to Mulcogi.

Frankly, I had difficulty convincing Mulcogi to go along with this plan. He was adamant over the fact that he mentioned his ordeal in order to try to help others, not to draw sympathy, and certainly not to solicit any money. I had to assure him that this initiative is intended solely as a message of love and support, NOT charity in any form. Finally he graciously relented, which I know was not easy.

Those who wish to contribute may do so in either of two ways:

1. Make a check payable to "Sam's Celtics Forum," write "Mulcogi Rocks" on the memo line, and snail mail it to: Sam's Celtics Forum; P.O. Box 758; Wellfleet, MA 02667

2. Make a PayPal payment, noting the following email address as the recipient: SlipSamCelt@aol.com, and note "Mulcogi Rocks" as a memo in the transmission.

The news of this initiative has already had a major positive impact on Mulcogi at a time when he can really use one. Your generosity will help him to capitalize on that momentum moving forward. Won't it be great if this season turns out to be a great one for both the Celtics and Mulcogi?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

All the best,

Sam

sam
Admin

http://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Refresher about our "Mulcogi Rocks" Initiative

Post by sam on Mon 5 Nov 2012 - 21:31

sam
Admin

http://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down