Flopping With The Stars

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flopping With The Stars

Post by bobheckler on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:27 am

There is a new anti-flopping rule. A new, toothless anti-flopping rule, but an anti-flopping rule anyway. The idea is to try to change player behavior.

I thought I'd post a few of the flops that have happened already.

#1 - Donald Sloan of Cleveland, struck unexpectedly by Sandy, while still indoors.

#2 - Here's JJ Barea flying backwards because big, bad Jimmer Fredette was mean. What's sad here is that the ref called it an offensive foul. What's good is that the league looked at it and said "bad call". Doesn't give the ball back to the offense though, does it?

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2012/11/05/dmo-barea-play-and-replay.nba/index.html

And now, just to kick this thread off right, is a video of the biggest flops of all time.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Re: Flopping With The Stars

Post by tjmakz on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:59 am

bob,

That was the right call on Fredette because he did extend his hand into Barea's upper chest for separation.

It was also a flop because Barea acted like he was punched in the head by Mike Tyson.

I love the anti-flopping rule.
I expect the flopping to decrease significantly throughout the year.

tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:10 am

tjmakz wrote:bob,

That was the right call on Fredette because he did extend his hand into Barea's upper chest for separation.

It was also a flop because Barea acted like he was punched in the head by Mike Tyson.

I love the anti-flopping rule.
I expect the flopping to decrease significantly throughout the year.

TJ,

I hope this rule actually has the effect it is intended to. I think Tommy Heinsohn got it right when he said "if you want to stop flopping, fine the coaches, not the players", but we got what we got.

I disagree with you on the Fredette call. Yes, he did stick his forearm out for separation, but he didn't push, shove or throw Barea away. He just stuck it out to maintain some distance. If you're under the basket, for example, and you're jockeying for a rebound, you can stick your arm out with elbow bent to maintain some distance between you and your opponent, you just can't use that arm to to push, shove or throw him away from his position. I don't believe it is a requirement that you keep your arms limp at your side or collapsible if up.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:45 am

Hi,
Another thing that'd not be affected by this new rule is while stars do flop, the super-star don't. Well, maybe once every 4-5 years. Why? It's bad for business.
I wonder if NBA comes up with a new award - FOY Very Happy

AK

sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:52 am

bob,

The offensive player can't extend his arm to maintain distance between himself and the defensive player. I watched the video many times and Fredette did extend his hand into Barea's chest. If pg's could keep separation with one hand, they would all dribble with one hand and shield off their opponent from stealing the ball with their off hand.

I don't agree with Tommy that they should fine the coach. These are grown men who are responsible for their actions. The only time a coach could get punished for a players behavior is in baseball when a pitcher throws at an opposing hitter.

tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:12 pm

I can end flopping. Have the TEAM be fined a penny for the first flop, 2 cents for the next flop, 4 cents for the next, 8 cents for the next and so on on a cumulative basis carrying the count over years.

Flopping will soon be a thing of the past.

bobc33

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:48 pm

Perhaps we can have level 2 flops or flagrant 1, 2, 3 flops.

Each carrying a significant larger penalty with flagrant 4 ....... death !!

beat

beat

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:46 pm

If not death, then at least flogging!

The new rule won't work unless it works against the big names, so that will be interesting to see. Which NBA all-star will get flagged for flopping first? Since Stern hates the Celtics, I vote for one of the Celtics neo-threeo, Pierce, Garnett or Rondo.

Red didn't like flopping, but Frank Ramsey was superlatively good at it, and smart enough to choose his spots as well, so Red went along. Then Ramsey taught Havlicek, who, if memory serves, wasn't above using the tactic at certain times and against certain players.

That makes me think that flopping will always be part of the game. Practitioners will have to learn to disguise it better.

The play that really should be outlawed is the one where the offensive player throws himself at the defensive player, creates the contact, and draws the foul. If it has to have a name, it should be called piercing, after Paul Pierce, because PP is one of the best at it there ever was. I remember when Pierce first came into the league, Bob Cousy used to speak out against the tactic, talking about the "theory of verticality".

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:26 pm

Nearly every good player in the NBA is allowed to use his off arm to maintain distance.

Hell, Kareem made a career out of it....nearly every single sky hook started with him warding off the opponent with his off arm.

mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:49 pm

Mrkleen

I have a friend that I send stuff to regarding HS basketball all the time, questions on rules ect. He is one of the head officials from long island, now granted the HS game is a far cry from the NBA but there are still officials and they have to make calls.

His take on the HS rules are does the "contact" create and unfair advantage for the offensive player if it does it should be called. Here we go with the judgement end of it and of course in the NBA they do let an lot more go than in the HS level.

beat

beat

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:20 pm

When players are down near the basket, you are allowed to give the defensive player a bump with your body or two or more but you are not allowed to extend your arm into them for separation.

Nowhere on the court is what Fredette did allowable.

The league has made 4 changes in the last two years which help the game.
Last year they stopped allowing the Kevin Durant shot where a player would bring his arms and the ball under the defenders extended arm, with little attempt to shoot the ball, but just wanting to make contact and get to the free throw line. That is no longer a shooting foul. They also clamped down on the Reggie Miller leg kick from the offensive player. If you are not in a regular shooting form, referees no longer call that a foul.

This season they also made two changes. They are no longer calling a shooting foul when a player gets bumped and throws the ball toward the basket and now have added the anti-flopping rule.

Very good changes.

I voted for David Stern today.
Smile

tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:50 pm

No one ever used his forearm to better effect than Shaq. He used that thing like a club. Opposing centers would have a chest full of bruises after playing the happy behemoth. When he backed a guy down, he didn't just bump; he would use his 400-pound butt to throw the guy backward 3 or 4 feet. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason the refs didn't call fouls on him is because they were afraid of him. One reason, that is.

Stern. What's he running for - Dogcatcher? On the platform that it takes one to catch one?

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top