Marcin Gortat not happy with Suns, expresses self to Polish media

4 posters

Go down

Marcin Gortat not happy with Suns, expresses self to Polish media  Empty Marcin Gortat not happy with Suns, expresses self to Polish media

Post by 112288 Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:02 am

SB NATION
By Seth Pollack on Nov 19

Phoenix Suns center Marcin Gortat started the season playing great on both ends but has fallen off the table recently. As we well know, the Polish big man is never stingy with his opinions and shared some choice words with media from his home country.

Look, this situation isn't a surprise to me. The season ended last year with Gortat either in or very near Alvin Gentry's dog house. His propensity for shifting blame and inability to do certain things on the court (like box out his man) were frustrating to watch. Even before the season began he was calling for more pick and rolls so he could get his touches despite the fact that the Suns don't have the shooters to space the floor. And as much as we love Goran Dragic, Goran Dragic is no Steve Nash.

Despite those ominous signs, Marcin started things off with a bang. He was a shot blocking machine and was finding his points in a very efficient manner. But after recording five blocks, 12 points and 11 rebounds in the comeback win over the Cavs, he's been a virtual non-factor culminating in a season-low 23 minutes against the Heat on Saturday.

Well, here's some choice words from Marcin to make the situation better so much worse.

Coach Alvin Gentry told me that the main post option was Luis Scola. You, on the other hand, are number one on defense.

MG: Unfortunately... I've been doing the dirty work all my life, and now I have to come back to that. I will fight for what's mine. I'll try to prove to the coach that I can play an important role in the offence. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm even an option for Gentry. He doesn't even take me into consideration. The situation is critical. We're playing the same thing we've been playing last year, but the truth is we have a completely different set of players. I don't think it really works. I can't get frustrated now though, I have to stay positive.

The quotes are coming from an interview that Gortat gave to the Polish web site Przeglad Sportowy which you can find here. There's plenty more there.

The translation above comes from NBA blogger Adam Koscielak at Gothic Ginobili. Adam says he's a native Polish speaker (which I can't verify since I am not a native Polish speaker). The quotes, however, appear to be accurately translated. I know we have enough Polish readers to confirm or refute the translations.

Przeglad Sportowy also reports that Gortat rejected an extension offer from the Suns and that the Orlando Magic, Dallas Mavericks, Boston Celtics and Chicago Bulls are interested in trading for him. Wonder where they got that information?

Regardless of how you evaluate Gortat's skills and potential as a basketball player (I've always considered him an average starter while others saw more), no one can be happy with his lack of discretion with his frustrations.

If you aren't happy with your role in the offense, take it up with the coach. If you still disagree with what you are being told, go out and prove yourself on the court. Marcin seems to understand this and yet can't help but also throw gas on the fire with his public comments.

Does he think that things reported in Poland won't make it back to Arizona? He's a smart guy and knows better than that.

Stay tuned for some interesting damage control in the next few days as Gortat and Gentry are asked about these comments.

For those rosterbators in the crowd, fire up the trade machine (The Polish Trade Machine!) and have some fun. 37 Internet Win Points if anyone correctly guesses a move in advance.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

NBC SPORTS

Marcin Gortat vents he’s no longer even considered in Phoenix

Kurt Helin Nov 19, 2012, 11:06 AM EST

Not a lot of people noticed outside the Valley of the Sun, but Marcin Gortat was playing at a near All-Star level when paired with Steve Nash last season, as the big in a lot of his pick-and-rolls.

This season it is not the same in Phoenix. Nash is in Los Angeles and the Suns are 4-7 and struggling along. The Polish Hammer went from averaging 15.4 points per game and getting nearly 12 shots a contest last year to 11 points and 9 shots.

And he vented about it to Przeglad Sportowy’s Marcin Harasimowicz — a Polish publication — and Gothic Ginobili has the translation. He was asked how this season is going compared to last.

Unfortunately, in my case – for worse. I’m certainly not the player I was last season, I need to find my place in the new order. I’m still capable of helping this team, and regularly recording a double double, but when the ball sticks to one person on offence, it’s hard to find a good rhythm….

Unfortunately, my two strongest plays – the pick and roll and post-ups have been taken away from me. It’s not easy, we have a lot of plays that don’t include me. And my chemistry with Goran Dragic hasn’t been quite equal to what I had with Steve. These are things that we need to work on….

Unfortunately, I don’t think I’m even an option for (coach Alvin) Gentry. He doesn’t even take me into consideration. The situation is critical. We’re playing the same thing we’ve been playing last year, but the truth is we have a completely different set of players. I don’t think it really works. I can’t get frustrated now though, I have to stay positive.

Note to Gortat — communication is global now. What you say in Polish to a Polish reporter for a Polish publication will find it’s way back to the United States quickly now.

Last season 21.6 percent of the Suns shot came off a pick-and-roll, another 20.4 percent on spot ups, while just 7.5 percent were isolations. So far this season 18.6 percent of shots are pick-and-roll (a Gortat strength), 21.3 percent on spot ups and 8.5 percent in isolation. They are 19th in the league in offensive efficiency this season.

I’m not sure anyone expected anything different this season — with Nash gone and Michael Beasley, Goran Dragic and Luis Scola getting most of the touches. Well, nobody except Gortat.

Gortat reportedly turned down discussion of a contract extension in Phoenix (he is making $7.3 million this season $7.7 million the next). The publication also said he could be traded, but frankly on the rebuilding Suns there isn’t a player that’s not available.

Back to top Go down

Marcin Gortat not happy with Suns, expresses self to Polish media  Empty Re: Marcin Gortat not happy with Suns, expresses self to Polish media

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:12 pm

Sounds like a problem child to be honest.

If he were to come to Boston - clearly he would be the 5th option on offense in most lineups....so if he is looking to leave Phoenix to seek more shots, he should keep looking - as Boston isnt the team for him.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Marcin Gortat not happy with Suns, expresses self to Polish media  Empty Re: Marcin Gortat not happy with Suns, expresses self to Polish media

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:34 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Sounds like a problem child to be honest.

If he were to come to Boston - clearly he would be the 5th option on offense in most lineups....so if he is looking to leave Phoenix to seek more shots, he should keep looking - as Boston isnt the team for him.

MrKleen,

I agree that his pouting is annoying. I don't see that continuing on a team with KG and Pierce and Terry on it, but you never know.

As far as his needing more shots, I'm ok with that too. Right now, he's averaging 9+ fga/game in 33mpg. He is an excellent pick-and-roll player and that will fit in perfectly with Rondo. He shoots 55% fg% career. Right now, our inside game consists of Sully and sometimes Bass. That's it. I'd love to have another. He's also averaging 9.8rpg and I'd love them too.

If Darko leaves, as is now looking like a likelihood, we're left with Collins as the only player who is BIG enough to handle the Bynums/Howards of the NBA.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:33 pm

I wouldn't portray what Gortat said as "pouting." The reporter asked about the conflict between the offensive roles for him and Scola, and Gortat gave an honest answer that included staying positive and working hard to show the coach that he deserves a bigger role. Yes, he acknowledged frustration with the situation, but I don't put him in the "head case" or "pouter" category just because he wasn't Pollyanna saying everything is great.

Look at it from Gortat's perspective. He knows he's a very good center who can capably start in this league. After spending two seasons backing up Dwight Howard in Orlando, he signed an offer sheet for Dallas for $34 million/5 years in 2009. He was a restricted free agent, meaning Orlando could match the offer, but most people figured they wouldn't because that's too much to pay for a backup center, but then Orlando did match it. So instead of getting his chance as a starter for Dallas, he's still in a limited role backing up Howard.

Then in December 2010, he was traded to Phoenix, where he takes over as the starter and does very well. Last year, his stats were 15.4 points, 10.0 rebounds, and 1.5 blocks per game, plus he hustles and is a good defender.

This year, Phoenix brings in Scola, who operates in the paint and isn't exactly complementary with Gortat, and the coach tells Gortat to defend, rebound, and get whatever garbage points you can, but we're not going to run any plays for you.

Here's a guy who has always been a team player, has waited patiently for his chance, and has shown he belongs in the second tier of centers in the league. Wouldn't you be frustrated given his current situation? He hustles, he's durable, he's athletic, he plays well at both ends of the court. His biggest deficiency is in creating his own shot, but he does well enough to average 15 points a game last year. The only negatives I've heard about his character are when he expressed frustration at Orlando matching the Dallas offer and frustration over his current situation. After the initial frustration over the Orlando/Dallas deal, he accepted the situation and became his usual team-player self in Orlando. Has anyone heard anything else bad about the guy? Because I haven't. About all I can come up with is that he's not the most handsome guy in the world.

If he does get traded, whoever gets him will be lucky to have him.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:52 pm

Outside

I dont know what you consider sour grapes - but Gortat is getting 3 less shots per game than last season. In what world is that "not even "being an option"?

He then goes on to say his coach "doesnt take him into consideration" - and the "situation is critical" and "I don’t think it really works."

This is NOT the kind of thing players should say in interviews (even in Polish)...and I doubt that Doc or DA would stand for that kind of insubordination. Gortat is making very good money to play a game...he should shut his mouth and play ball.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:04 pm

mrkleen,

We probably just have a different take on it, but I'll take one more stab at persuasion.

mrkleen wrote:I dont know what you consider sour grapes - but Gortat is getting 3 less shots per game than last season. In what world is that "not even "being an option"?
I haven't watched the Suns this year, so all I can do is present a viable scenario based on what I know.

He may be getting only three fewer shots a game, but it may be that all his shots come on either offensive rebounds or plays that aren't designed for him where he winds up with the ball anyway after, say, receiving a pass after Dragic penetrates. The past couple of years, the high screen/roll with him and Nash was a staple of their offense. It may not have resulted in that many more shots for him -- Nash uses that play to deliver the ball to everyone, not just the screener -- but he's involved in the offense. Now let's say that this year, he's been told to basically clear out, set screens on the perimeter, and let Scola do his thing. While the difference in shots per game may be relatively minor, his involvement in the offense is drastically reduced.

mrkleen wrote:This is NOT the kind of thing players should say in interviews (even in Polish)...and I doubt that Doc or DA would stand for that kind of insubordination. Gortat is making very good money to play a game...he should shut his mouth and play ball.
You really think his interview was insubordination? Again, has anyone heard anything negative about his character prior to this? Because I haven't. All I've read is that he's a good teammate and very coachable.

I don't see anything horribly wrong with expressing frustration. Add Michael Beasley jacking up shots and playing no defense, Goren Dragic dominating the ball and looking for his, and Luis Scola going one on whatever, and you'd be frustrated, too. He's complaining as much about the lack of passing and team offense as much as anything, that plus the losing and apparent lack of direction of the team. Phoenix is a horribly constructed team.

As for not complaining because he makes good money, by that logic, no professional athlete has justification to complain about anything ever.

This is just one interview. Gortat is not a chronic malcontent. I think his comments are completely understandable given his talents and his situation.

I'll leave it at that and wish you and everyone a happy Thanksgiving.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:10 pm

You as well Outside....nothing personal at all.

Using your own words, if you dont watch Gortat on a regular basis, or follow his day to day press conferences - how would you know if he is or is not a chronic malcontent?

Seems to me that he was never more than a back up - 8th or 9th offensive option - so he never had much to be upset about. Now he goes to Phoenix - gets a raise, and all of a sudden he thinks he is a primary option in their offense?

He is the one who signed in Phoenix....who took the money when he could have presumably made a decision which involved less money, to a team with a better front office and better chance to win. Now he is unhappy there?

Sorry but that is the definition of sour grapes IMO.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down