Post by sam on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:38 pm

Huge freebie. Two-possession game.

sam
Admin

http://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Game-On! Celtics @ Magic - November 25, 2012

Post by bobheckler on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:39 pm

phew. looks like we're going to escape disneyland with a win.

4 points with 14 seconds left.

take rondo out, put in JET and Lee for defense and free throw shooting.

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sam on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Hey, maybe the Celts will win.

sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:41 pm

there ya go!

Celtics win! Celtics win!

nice posting with everyone.

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:41 pm

I'll take it

Good night

dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sam on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:42 pm

Nice win. In this game, they went two steps forward and one step back. Always better than the other way around. I'd give Bass the Tommy award tonight. Lunch pail basketball.

Nice posting with everyone.

Sam

sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:45 pm

night all see you Wednesday when I can pay more attention to the game!

Rosalie

RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:07 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:Tonight Sullinger will outplay Davis and Green will have his big "coming out" game.

You were half right.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:28 am

I thought that Green, even though he did not score, played a smart game. Got his teammates involved and played well defensively. Granted, I certainly want him to score 0/9 just is not good, but, I think he is "getting it". At least it seemed that way to me. Am I wrong?

Rosalie

RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by sam on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:42 pm

Rosalie,

Good observation. So far, this has been a season in which the two-thirds of the team who are basically new to the team have experienced struggles in getting in the flow. You can almost see light bulbs going off above their heads as, one after the other, they define their roles to an increasing degree. It has happened with Wilcox, Terry, Sullinger and Barbosa in particular. Bass is not new to the team, but he is in the process of redefining his role and doing a pretty good job of it.

With so many roles being in a state of flux and slowly being clarified, the number of still-available niches is bound to diminish. And, so far, it appears to me that Lee and Green have wound up being on the short end of the stick in terms of being comfortable with where they fit. There are only so many points to go around, particularly because the Celtics are currently scoring 99.3 points per game (or 7.5 more than last season).

I believe Lee is discovering that he can make his presence felt (maybe not so much among fans as among Doc and his teammates) on the defensive end. That's where role niches are readily available, as the team is giving up 100.1 points per game (or 10.8 more than last season). With other Celtics scoring so much, it's difficult to envision him ever being a high scorer with the team.

Green is apparently becoming the 6' 9" runt of the litter. He doesn't have that one singular skill that authoritatively carves out a niche among the leftover niches that might be available. Doing a little bit of everything often eventuates in not doing much of any one thing on a regular basis.

On one hand, I think Jeff's quest for a niche on this team may be complicated by his having to play two very diverse positions—wing and big man. That's a very difficult thing to do because those two positions have very different responsibilities, and sometimes he's switching back and forth between the two positions several times a game.

On the other hand, maybe his unique niche so far is that his versatility. The fact that he plays both dissimilar positions very well could have doubled the effort he is expending to become comfortable in each position within the Celtics system.

And maybe the fact that he has to gain consistency in "finding himself" at each of those two positions is presenting him with twice as much difficulty as teammates in carving out an impact role for himself.

Consistency is a key with Jeff. Actually, he has played some pretty good games. He ranks 7th on the team in minutes per game, but he ranks 5th in scoring per 36 minutes and 4th in blocked shots per 36 minutes. And scoring 8.1 points per game is not all that bad considering that he's on the court less than half the game (22 minutes).

And I haven't even mentioned the health problem that he's coming back from. To those who might feel it was simply a fairly common operation, why don't you sign up to have your chest cracked open and see how long it takes for your legs to get back to normal? Jeff's legs are his game. He's got the health recovery thing, the two position thing, and the lack of available impact niches with the team thing to contend with, plus whatever other personality or motivational issues he may possess.

I hope fans will cut Jeff some slack as he perseveres in his quest. And, in Jeff's case, my definition of "cutting some slack" doesn't mean quitting on the guy after 13 or 23 or even 33 games.

Sam

sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top