POST GAME PHILLY - AWAY

View previous topic View next topic Go down

POST GAME PHILLY - AWAY

Post by 112288 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:13 pm

NEXT GAME - HOME - PHILLY - 7:30PM - CSNE/NBA LEAGUE PASS

POST GAME RECAP

ESPNBOSTON.COM

Rapid Reaction: 76ers 95, Celtics 94 (OT)

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

The Celtics and 76ers met on the front end of a home-and-home Friday in Philadelphia.
PHILADELPHIA -- Rapid reaction after the Philadelphia 76ers defeated the Boston Celtics 95-94 in overtime on Friday night at the Wells Fargo Center:

THE NITTY GRITTY
Rajon Rondo produced the 24th triple-double of his career (and 19th on national TV) by posting 16 points, 14 assists, and 13 rebounds, but his night was upstaged by Evan Turner, whose pull-up jumper in the closing seconds of overtime capped a 26-points, 10-rebound effort and lifted the 76ers to victory in a seesaw battle. Paul Pierce scored a game-high 27 points on 9-of-24 shooting with five assists, four rebounds, and a block over 45 minutes. Jeff Green added 19 points in a terrific effort off the bench for Boston. Jrue Holiday (15 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists) and Thaddeus Young (17 points, 12 rebounds) helped carry the 76ers.

TURNING POINT I: BACK-AND-FORTH FINISH
The Celtics were down 80-76 when Kevin Garnett went to the bench with 6:36 to play in the fourth quarter. Boston actually held Philadelphia scoreless for the two minutes that he was out and tied the game, setting into motion a back-and-forth finish. Green was immense at both ends of the floor, picking up the slack for a struggling Brandon Bass. Turner's little scoop finger-roll over Garnett with 49 seconds to play put the Sixers up 89-87, but Garnett responded with 20-foot jumper with 7.7 ticks to go to tie the game for the 15th time. The 76ers threw away a potential final shot and Rondo's 19-footer hit back rim at the buzzer, forcing the extra session.

TURNING POINT II: OVERTIME
A Green 3-pointer put Boston out front 94-93 with 1:54 and that's where things stood when Courtney Lee pulled up for a corner 3-pointer with 25 seconds to play and a chance to deliver the knockout blow. The shot airballed and, making matters worse for Lee, Turner knocked down a pull-up 13-footer over him with 3.9 seconds to go at the other end. Rondo airballed a 16-footer at the buzzer with a chance to win it.

FAST START FOR RONDO
Rondo posted a ridiculous 10-point, 8-rebound, 5-assist first quarter, all but assuring the triple-double night. What's more, he made his four of his first five shots from the floor -- a driving layup and three mid-range jumpers -- while accounting for eight of Boston's first 12 points. He didn't get his first assist until 6½ minutes in and quickly shifted into distribute mode with five helpers over little more than three minutes. By halftime, Rondo was up to 14 points, 10 rebounds, and 8 assists over a mere 18 minutes.

TWENTY FOR THE CAPTAIN
The Celtics didn't have a 20+ point scorer in any of their previous four games. According to Elias Sports Bureau, that was the longest streak since November of 2003 and Boston had never gone five games without a 20+ scorer in the shot-clock era. It still hasn't after Pierce got to that number on Friday night.

WHAT IT MEANS
Ninety-six minutes over two nights just wasn't enough for these two teams, who spilled into the extra session in a game that featured 19 lead changes and 17 ties. Turnovers killed the Celtics as Philadelphia parlayed 19 Boston giveaways into 21 points. The sure-handed 76ers committed nine turnovers leading to a mere nine points. This rivalry gets less than 24 hours to breath before the Celtics and 76ers clash again on Saturday night when they wrap up this home-and-home at TD Garden.

Back to top Go down

Re: POST GAME PHILLY - AWAY

Post by sinus007 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi,
A few thoughts after the game.
Very few teams have answer to PP and KG. Philli isn't one of them.
OTOH, they're not spring chickens: by the end of regulation and in OT it was obvious they were exhausted = mistakes that cost the game.
RR needs to take people management course to polish his people handling skills.
I take quiet JG over JG with highlight-of-the-day dunk.
The team needs a solid presence to protect the paint - KG can't shuttle back and forth.
Despite the loss the team is progressing.

AK

sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Nobody likes losing, but I definitely saw some glimmers in this game.

1. Let's start with the fact that we had 9 TOS more than them (9!) and still took it to OT. Why is that a glimmer? Because the chances of them only having 9 TOs in a game during a 7 game series isn't good. In other words, this was the best they'll see. We had 8 TOs in the 3rd quarter alone.

2. Let's continue with us holding them to only 37%fg shooting. Our defense in the late 3rd quarter, all of the 4th quarter and OT was absolutely ferocious. Doc called a quick timeout, after a 6-0 Philly run in the 3rd, and the players responded with a MUCH higher and aggressive defensive intensity. The defense we saw the last 15 minutes or so of regulation and all of OT was what we've become accustom to and have been wondering where it went. Well, if you're looking for it, it was in Philly last night. That's a huge glimmer.

3. This was, what, the 3rd good game for Jeff Green in the last 4 games? If we can get 3 out of 4 from him, we're in good shape because we have other players that can help out on his off night. He wasn't that loud about it, but all of a sudden you look up and he's shooting free throws for his 18th point. He had 8 rebounds too! Bottle this game, pull the stopper and let him take a deep whiff during pre-game warmups. He also had a great block on Holliday underneath. 3 out of 4 is a definite glimmer. 4 out of 5 would be even better. Now that you know you can do it against this team, show them the real Jeff Green tonight again.

4. Sully played some good defense. That has been the knock on him so far, but last night he played well and got, what Jon Barry called, "big boy rebounds". Some real rugged, invisible-in-all-the-bodies-underneath rebounds. His rookie counterpart, Arnett Moultrie (whom many pundits predicted would drop to us, but didn't), had a very pedestrian 2 rebounds and 0 points on 0-3 shooting in 7 minutes. I know it's not fair to give Danny credit for this, we don't know who he would have taken if Moultrie had been available at #21, but we do know that Sully's turning into a blue chip and Danny does deserve credit for that.

5. JET had, what was probably, the worst game of his Celtic career. 1-12 shooting, 1-7 from 3. Awful. That's a glimmer. Why? Because my money is on this was a very unusual performance by him and we still got to OT. Last night, though, he hurt us. Between him and Pierce we were a brutal 2-15 from 3. Live by the 3, die by the 3. Last night, we died by it.

6. Pierce's game was KoMe-esque. 9-24 for 27 points (1-8 from 3), 8-12 fts, 4 rebounds, 5 assists and 4 TOs is something you'd expect from Bryant. He was both a savior and a problem. He was involved with 2 big defensive plays in OT. He attacked the rim and got to the line a lot. When he got mismatches with Jrue Holliday he took it to him and got Holliday into foul trouble (he eventually fouled out). He also did great job of drawing the double team and then passing to KG for the big bucket at the end of regulation that got us to OT. He also took 30% of the Celtics total 81fgas and didn't use them efficiently. If Bryant did that, I'd call him KoMe and say he shot the Lakers out of the game (like he did in the 2008 Finals). Well...

7. KG had a good game but man oh man did he kill me last night. He blows a point blank put back that would have won it for us. Then, he hits the 19'er from Pierce. Then, he gets the inbounds on the last shot, with time short, and instead of taking the turnaround he's taken and made a bazillion times, he passes to Rondo (who skidded to a halt and didn't get a good shot off). Doc needs to sit KG down and say "you need to take those shots".

8. Brandon Bass was 0-1. When is that going to happen again? This is as good as it is going to get for Philly.

9. Rondo had 14 points, 10 rebounds and 8 assists, 1 steal and 2 blocks at the half. He ended up with 16 points, 13 rebounds, 14 assists, 3 steals and 3 blocks for the night. So, just looking at the boxscore you might think he took the 2nd half off, right? I mean, his 2nd half was 2 points, 3 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals and 1 block. Wrong. He was working hard, but a lot of his energy was being invested on the defensive side of the ball, like everybody else. Besides, 6 assists, 3 rebounds, 2 steals and block isn't bad for a 6'1" PG in a half. A great game by Rondo, I thought.

10. Evan Turner has turned into a helluva player. Bradley struggles with him too, and we know how good an on-the-ball defender Bradley is. He won this game for them. Let's remember, Evan Turner was the #2 pick in the 2010 draft. He damn well better be a star. On the other hand, the Philly front office are also the same morons that traded Iggy for Bynum. Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn occasionally. Turner loves to play against us. He's also in his final contract year. Maybe he'll go to a WC team (just not the Lakers, please). One can only hope.

Tonight seems like a great opportunity for a little payback in front of our crowd.

Kudos to Berlin for sticking it all the way out on the Game On thread. He must have been seeing the sun rise by the time it was over.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:01 pm

I just saw in Doc's post-game interview, that the last shot was designed for KG, but KG thought Rondo had the layup and gave it to him instead. Rondo's slip made the layup impossible, of course.

Hmm. Do you blame a player for giving up a guarded turnaround for a possible layup? Maybe not.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:21 pm

How about 54pts scored in the paint by Philly.

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:40 pm

bobheckler wrote:I just saw in Doc's post-game interview, that the last shot was designed for KG, but KG thought Rondo had the layup and gave it to him instead. Rondo's slip made the layup impossible, of course.

Hmm. Do you blame a player for giving up a guarded turnaround for a possible layup? Maybe not.

bob

Bobh,
I think KG did the right thing.
First, when I saw him giving the ball to RR I had only 3 words: WTF. Then, when they showed the replay from a different angle, it was obvious - RR had a clear path to the hoop. Oh well, no luck this time...

AK

sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by international on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:00 pm

Bob, I agree with you 100%.By the way Moultrie was available at 21,he was taken 27.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:12 pm

international wrote:Bob, I agree with you 100%.By the way Moultrie was available at 21,he was taken 27.

International,

Thanks. For some reason I thought he was taken high teens. Ok, so ghen we can give Danny credit for taking Sully over Moultrie. Sweet.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:31 pm

Last night was an edge of the seat type of game. Tough loss in a very winnable game.

We have to take better care of the basketball and either Lee or Terry need to hit their shots. Both of them were just plan awful last night.

Philly is a difficult team to match up with but the Celtics can learn how to beat them.

dboss

dboss

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top