NYCelt
cowens/oldschool
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rondo for MVP - Page 2 Empty Re: Rondo for MVP

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:30 am

Sam

Grass is greener refers to the recurring comments that some people out here have for reacting after a tough stretch with over the top hyperbole...basically letting frustration get the better of us: in essence going from Rondo is great after a triple double, to Rubio is better after Parker makes him look bad.

The Guys living in the past is the constant comparisons to old time players - as a means for showing the current team isnt living up to their potential or the history of the team. As I said, if Rondo is 75% the player that Bob Cousy was - we will all be lucky to have him. In addition, I think people (myself) included look back with rose colored glasses - and judge current players through much harsher lenses, that those from the past.

I understand that much of this comes from the love all of us have for the team and the history and the frustration that they are further behind the schedule we would have liked to see them on at this point....but I do admit, the Chicken Little - Sky is Falling act gets old out here.

This team is better than many, worse than some, and not at all a finished product.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:38 am

My comments were definitely provoked by Rondo's excruciatingly embarrassing play against Tony Parker. It was painful, probably because I had previously held him in such high regard. The reality is that Rondo's been skimping on defense all season, coasting. What message does that send to his new teammates? That one or two players can decide they're only going to play hard when they feel like it? That they're too indispensible to have to worry about being benched? That concerns me: it affects the psychology of the team. It inhibits team-building.

The worst thing I heard this season was when Doc said he's not sure that Rondo should be playing with the same intensity as Bradley showed on defense. That's when I knew it was time to check the batteries in my pacemaker, maybe get one of those defibrillators implanted, too.

Rondo claimed before the season that he's the best point guard in the league. I don't think he shold have said it, mainly because it gives other point guards additional incentive to show him that they've got skills too. Giving opponents bulletin board material is not in the best interests of the team. It was immature. It raises questions about his attitude. Is it the Boston Celtics or Rajon Rondo and the Boston Celtics?

Bob Cousy once said that he wanted to be the best, not that he was the best. He would never have said anything like that, even after he led the league in assists six straight seasons and evryone called him Mr. Basketball. Cousy understood that he was part of a team.

Throwing a ball at a referee, bumping another referee, mouthing off about his own wonderfulness, pushing a scratching an opponent so he gets himself suspended: Forgive me for thinking that Rondo's trapped into believing that it's all about him. Since the poster boy for that me-first attitude was Antoine Walker, it seems tragic to see Rondo sliding down that slippery road.

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:58 pm

Mrkleen,

One of the benefits of running a message board—both the public aspects and what goes on behind the scenes—is the availability of frequent refreshers on human nature. Although I sometimes regret some of the over-the-top behavior you mention to the point that I've adopted a "See me in April" mantra, I feel that behavior is well within the bounds of what one should expect with respect to an emotionally charged endeavor such as pro basketball.

People identify with their favorite team, sometimes to the point where failure by the team can become tantamount to failure by the fan. Different people handle it in different ways. Some are prone to emotionally driven outbursts. Some immerse themselves analytically. Some jump to the conclusion that change in the cast of characters is the only answer. Some simply brood. Some patiently wait for April to arrive.

I could list other examples, but my point is that there are many different responses to adversity. And all of them are understandable. They may not agree with your stance or my stance, and we may even try to change their minds. But it's important not to demean the person or compromise any respect for his/her rights to express honest feelings, as long as it's done civilly.

If references to the past bother you, I suggest you ignore them.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:45 pm

rickdavisakaspike wrote:
My comments were definitely provoked by Rondo's excruciatingly embarrassing play against Tony Parker. It was painful, probably because I had previously held him in such high regard. The reality is that Rondo's been skimping on defense all season, coasting. What message does that send to his new teammates? That one or two players can decide they're only going to play hard when they feel like it? That they're too indispensible to have to worry about being benched? That concerns me: it affects the psychology of the team. It inhibits team-building.

The worst thing I heard this season was when Doc said he's not sure that Rondo should be playing with the same intensity as Bradley showed on defense. That's when I knew it was time to check the batteries in my pacemaker, maybe get one of those defibrillators implanted, too.

Rondo claimed before the season that he's the best point guard in the league. I don't think he shold have said it, mainly because it gives other point guards additional incentive to show him that they've got skills too. Giving opponents bulletin board material is not in the best interests of the team. It was immature. It raises questions about his attitude. Is it the Boston Celtics or Rajon Rondo and the Boston Celtics?

Bob Cousy once said that he wanted to be the best, not that he was the best. He would never have said anything like that, even after he led the league in assists six straight seasons and evryone called him Mr. Basketball. Cousy understood that he was part of a team.

Throwing a ball at a referee, bumping another referee, mouthing off about his own wonderfulness, pushing a scratching an opponent so he gets himself suspended: Forgive me for thinking that Rondo's trapped into believing that it's all about him. Since the poster boy for that me-first attitude was Antoine Walker, it seems tragic to see Rondo sliding down that slippery road.

mine too that was a serious butt kicking

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:00 pm

Last year when they played... Parker had 10 and 2 assists. Rondo had 17 points and 11 assists.

If you want to see are real butt kicking, you have to go back to 2011 - when Parker had 18 and 5 assist - while Rondo had 12 points...11 rebounds and 23 assists.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:33 am

I remember when he used to handle Parker, those were the days he suffocated you with his defense.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2