POST GAME CHICAGO

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

POST GAME CHICAGO

Post by 112288 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:33 pm

NG = NO GOOD OR NEXT GAME - YOU PICK IT.

NEXT GAME - WEDNESDAY - HOME - 7:30pm - CLEVELAND - CSNE/NBA LEAGUE PASS

POST GAME RECAP

ESPNBOSTON.COM

Rapid reaction: Bulls 100, Celtics 89

THE NITTY GRITTY
Joakim Noah registered his second career triple-double (11 points, 13 rebounds, 10 assists), while Carlos Boozer and Luol Deng chipped in 21 points apiece for the Bulls. If that wasn't enough, old friend Nate Robinson erupted for 18 points off the bench, hitting five 3-pointers, including some fourth-quarter daggers that turned this into a laugher. Heck, Robinson singlehandedly outscored Boston's entire bench (16 points). Rajon Rondo finished with a game-high 26 points on 9-of-18 shooting with eight assists, while Paul Pierce added 16 points for Boston.

TURNING POINT
Despite trailing by as much as 13 in the first half, the Celtics whittled their deficit down to three on multiple occasions in the third quarter, including once with under four minutes to play in the frame. But after Boston pulled its Big Three off the floor for late-quarter rest, the Bulls produced a 9-0 run, which culminated with a Taj Gibson layup for a 79-67 lead. Boston never got closer than eight in the fourth quarter and led by as much as 21.

COLLINS SIGHTING!
Jason Collins, a healthy DNP the last six games and 19 of Boston's first 23 contests, saw a rare burst of floor time late in the third quarter after Chris Wilcox took a forearm to the face and needed to come off the floor. Collins humorously appeared to stand up and run onto the floor from the end of the Boston bench and the 12th-year veteran was quickly redirected to the scorer's table to appropriately check in. Collins provided some solid defense and finished scoreless with five rebounds over 12 minutes.

WHAT IT MEANS
While maybe not Boston's most lackluster effort of the season, it's hard to suggest this isn't as low as things have gotten for the Celtics this season. Boston (12-12) dipped to .500 by enduring its third consecutive loss on a disastrous road trip that previously featured double-digit losses in Houston and San Antonio. A 10-0 run to close out Tuesday's game made the final spread easier on the eyes, but make no mistake, a well-rested Celtics squad got hammered by a Chicago team that played Monday night in Memphis. Maybe more discouraging is the fact that Chicago's anemic offense put up triple digits on Boston, a sign that the Celtics have regressed defensively after some progress was shown earlier in the month. Boston treks home to host Cleveland in the second night of a back-to-back on Wednesday at TD Garden.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CSNE

A SHERROD BLAKELY

Trampled: Celtics no match for Bulls on road

CHICAGO — And so the good-try, good-effort days continue for the Boston Celtics who once again can take away a few positives from their game against Chicago.

But the one positive that trumps them all - winning - remains as elusive now as it ever was for Boston as the Bulls pulled away in the fourth quarter on Tuesday for a 100-89 win.

Rajon Rondo led all scorers with 26 points to go with eight assists. Chicago's Joakim Noah had a triple-double of 11 points, 10 assists and 13 rebounds while Luol Deng and Carlos Boozer each had 21 points.

Boston (12-12) has now dropped three straight for the first time this season, and run the risk of slipping below .500 for the first time since they were 2-3 following a Nov. 9 home loss to Philadelphia.

The sad part about Tuesday's loss was that it came against a Chicago team that had played - and lost - the night before in Memphis while the Celtics have been in Chicago preparing for this game since Sunday.

You would not have known that by the way the game played out.

For most of the night, the Bulls seemed fresher, more sure of their play compared to the Celtics who too often looked indecisive, unsure and just flat-out bad.

The game quickly became a laugher in the fourth quarter with several Chicago players having their way which included former Celtic Nate Robinson who had 18 points off the bench.

The first quarter was actually a relatively close period with neither team being able to get more than five points of separation.

It was an early back-and-forth tussle with there being six lead changes before the first quarter ended with the Bulls on top, 28-23.

The second quarter saw the Bulls' control of the game only increase as their lead peaked at 13 points.

Boston's problems in the second were no different than their problems most of this season - defense.

The Celtics do a lot more trapping and double-teaming with their defense than they have in past years. The only way that can work effectively is if players rotate to shooters quick enough to avoid them having open looks.

It is that latter point that has given the C's problems throughout this season.

And the person most impacted by the porous team defense is Kevin Garnett, who in addition to having his hands full defending one of the Bulls' potent 1-2 frontcourt punch of Joakim Noah and Carlos Boozer, was frequently out of position because he had to help defensively when one of the Celtics' perimeter players allowed dribble penetration into the lane.

So the big first-half numbers by Boozer (12 points, 4 rebounds) and Noah (7 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists) had more to do with Garnett's teammates struggling defensively than they did with his own individual man-to-man defense.

But as poorly as the Celtics played defensively, they still went into the half within striking distance and Rondo was a big reason why.

Rondo, whom Doc Rivers said before the game had been trying to do too much lately, did plenty to keep the Celtics from getting blown out in the first half.

The Celtics closed out the second with a 7-2 spurt that included five points from Rondo to cut Chicago's lead at the half down to 55-48.

But his strong scoring spurt, like most of the what the Celtics did, was not enough of a positive to achieve the only thing that really matters around Boston and that's win games - something this team continues to struggle with doing.

Last edited by 112288 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Re: POST GAME CHICAGO

Post by worcester on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:51 pm

ouch!

worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Worcester

I have seen this before, years ago with the New York Islanders. The year they won their first cup they had great talent but were fading fast. No jump, no chemistry, nothing was clicking. They finally shook up the club by trading Billy Harris and Dave Lewis to LA Kings. Both players were great players but the chemistry just did not take hold. The rest was history.

I was close to a few players (Nystrom & Gillies). I asked them much later about the trade. They both said there was no chemistry taking place and no matter how hard they practiced......nothing was clicking. The trade shook the club and got guys butts in gear but more important it created new chemistry with Butchie Goring now centering (quarter backing) the second unit.

Got the same situation here.......will be interesting to see how Danny plays this!

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:05 pm

If only he had Harris and Lewis to trade!

worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:07 pm

Worcester

Perhaps we can out fit some of the players with skates!

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:09 pm

Some nights the parquet floor at the old Garden was positively frosty from the ice underneath for Bruins games.

worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:13 pm

Ya, I heard it was all Bruins (hockey) in Boston way back and to hell with basketball.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:57 pm

Once again, our bench, which, before the season started was picked as the best in the NBA, was abysmal. 5 for 23.

5 for 23! Jeez. This is getting old.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:23 am

Wow Steve, I did not check that box.

As Tommy would say.........................Oh Boy....................

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:29 am

And Chicago's frontline of Noah, Deng and Boozer completely dominated ours. In matchups with the Bulls that too is getting old.

All this without Derrick Rose. If he played we lose by 20 or 25.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:41 am

....and we had 2 days off and they were on 2nd of back to back

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:45 am

This team is more lost than the Jews were wandering in the wilderness for 40 years before Moses brought them to the Promised Land. And Moses ain't walkin' through that sand anytime soon, neither is Bird, Russell, or Havlicek! Beat may be able to double his "Let's not wait another 22 years "post script.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:40 am

Many of Ainge's past mistakes are coming back to haunt this franchise: 1. Passing on DeAndre Jordan in the draft. 2. Not gobbling up Hasheem Thabeet before OKC got him after he was released by his previous team. 3. letting a terrific defender like Tony Allen get away. Tony's playing like gangbusters for Memphis. To be fair, he could not keep Thibs from going to Chicago. However the play of the "BIGS" except for Garnett has suffered since Ainge allowed Clifford Ray to walk. The team has tuned Doc out. It's ridiculous what he has to tell those guys in time outs. How the hell long have they been playing this gamw?

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:59 am

MDCelticsFan wrote:Many of Ainge's past mistakes are coming back to haunt this franchise: 1. Passing on DeAndre Jordan in the draft. 2. Not gobbling up Hasheem Thabeet before OKC got him after he was released by his previous team. 3. letting a terrific defender like Tony Allen get away. Tony's playing like gangbusters for Memphis. To be fair, he could not keep Thibs from going to Chicago. However the play of the "BIGS" except for Garnett has suffered since Ainge allowed Clifford Ray to walk. The team has tuned Doc out. It's ridiculous what he has to tell those guys in time outs. How the hell long have they been playing this gamw?

MD!

playing the time machine game is not an answer............... Did you bitch the moment we passed over Jordan like multiple other teams did??

beat

beat

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:27 am

I don't know.............getting frustrating................

I was open minded about the excuse that we have so many new players on the team that it takes time to jell. I was open to that at the start of this road trip but now...................I'm feeling this.................

On the nights that we looked like the Celtics of old.............was it due to our hard work and defense..............or the fact that the other team just had an off night.........bad game.

Also we cannot look back at past drafts.....as they are like picking the winning lotto ticket..........who knows who will or will not work out.

Bottom line.......Danny has to improve a very important position....that being center..........KG is best as a power forward.........what made him so good for the Celtics and perhaps made the players in the guard and small forward positions look like defensive marvels was KG's ability as a power forward to roam further away from the basket to help out more on the perimeter defense without sacrificing the paint defense with Perk backing him up.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:02 am

.....exactly 112288 with Perk and KG we had the best defensive 4-5 combo in the game, our offense could get away with a player off on the offensive end, heck they made Pierce and Ray effective defensive players within the system. Perk anchored that defense, now we have Pierces replacement with mixed results, hes got talent, but seems like not enough to overcome loss of that Beast/anchor around the basket.

Ainge thought the game was going smallball, but besides loss of Perk and Greens inconsistent game, what happened to Rondos defense? we've got problems.....and I hate to have to rely so much on the return of Avery Bradley.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:41 am

Cowens:

Bradley's return will help. However, he is far from the total answer. Signing Pierce and Garnett for 3 more years may be a further problem as Father Time seems to be revealing.

Beat: I lamented passing on DeAndre Jordan at the time.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:43 am

Hi,
Third game in a row Celtics showed what SC-defense and St-offense are (SC as in Swiss Cheese, St as in Stagnant).
I partially understand about defense: KG, no matter how good he is, can't be in 2 places at the same time. But what about the others - are they taking a nap?
Offense is not much better. Everybody stands and waits what RR will do or, if the ball ends up in PP's hands or JG's - it's iso play.
Frankly, I don't know why all that happens. But I hope that Doc does, I really do.
I'm still of opinion that the current roster is a very potent team. But if they continue on the same path neither AB coming back nor whoever Danny trades will help.
I hope it's just the usual X-mas/NY Celtics slump.

AK

sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:46 am

I only watched the first quarter, just enough to see Noah and Deng kick our butts single-handedly (or maybe that's double-handedly).

We've obviously taken some steps backward. You don't go from "finally looking good" to "I'm tired of this shit" and still blame the newness of the roster. That works for blaming a slow start, not a couple games up and then a couple of games down. That's inconsistency, not confusion.

I can't address this particular game, since I only saw the first quarter. The little I saw was Noah passing like a point guard and Deng faking his man out repeatedly.

Looking at the boxscore it's obvious our bench stunk on offense. 13 total rebounds from the bench with Collins having 5 of them in 12 minutes.

Six Bulls in double digits vs 4 for us.

We are not good road warriors, only 4-8 on the road. Unless you have the best record in the NBA, like we had in 2008, you have GOT to be able to win on the road.

Doc and his staff have their work cut out for them.

bob
P.S. On another note, DeAndre Jordan makes over $10M this year. We couldn't afford that 44% free throw shooting, 3x as many TOs as assists, 1.6bpg, only 7.2rpg stiff even if we wanted him.

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:52 am

Cowans,

Rondo was much more effective defending the ball then he is now. Something has slipped in his defense.

Yea he is pesky at times and gets steals...but on ball has dropped off.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top