Marcus's right knee ???

4 posters

Go down

Marcus's right knee ??? Empty Marcus's right knee ???

Post by beat Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:27 am

I've shared this on Facebook and BobH and I have discussed it there. On Christmas eve while simple getting up off the floor Marcus hurt his knee. Says he heard a pop and he collapsed right there. He was obviously in a lot of pain. As we could not move him beyond getting him into a chair we called 911 and got some help in getting him out the door into an ambulance and off to the local ER. XRays were done that eve but they only showed that there were no bone issues. He is in a little less pain today but cannot put any weight on it yet. He can bend it close to max but cannot straighten it out. A little discoloration to the outside of the kneecap but not much. Just a hint of redness there.

Managed to get him into the local orthopedic group this morning and we may know more later. I'm sure they will do an MRI if not today, soon. 1 -2 feet of snow coming the next 24 hours too.

Keeping the fingers crossed for good results.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Marcus's right knee ??? Empty Re: Marcus's right knee ???

Post by Sam Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:30 am

Fingers crossed here, Beat.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:45 am

Fingers crossed and I'm no doctor (you need Worcester for that) but it sounds familiar.

I tore a meniscus this fall and those are all the symptoms. I had it repaired October 29 and there was nothing to it. 20 minute outpatient arthroscopic procedure. I walked out of the hospital.

It took an MRI to make the diagnosis. If that's the diagnosis and you want to drive the hour or so to get down to our end of the lake I can get him in to see my doctor. She's part of a leading sports medicine group and is quite pretty! Just thought I'd throw that out there...
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:51 am

NYCelt

were you able to "walk in" the hospital before? And put any weight on it?
He can't.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:59 am

beat,

I actually walked, or should I say limped around on it for nearly a month before getting it repaired. Big difficulty walking the day after, but I made it worse.

I wanted to finish coaching the football team before having it fixed. I did it in the most embarrassing way; coaching. They introduce the team then the head coach...called my name, I ran two steps and "pop." It was so loud one of my assistants looked at me and asked if that was my knee. Didn't go down, but could barely walk. Coached the game (we won), conducted a tryout for my son's Babe Ruth baseball team that afternoon and couldn't walk by the next morning.

Having had two reconstructions on that kneeI knew I'd done something but not as bad as before. They told me some people do rehab rather than surgery depending on severity.

I actually had to have it drained the next day because of swelling. Clear fluid is better (as mine was), blood in the fluid may indicate ACL or other damage.

I can reassure you that even if it's a pretty good tear, a kid like Marcus would be back in full stride in no time. Even at my age I started light exercise after a week.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:14 am

Thanks

No way he can bear the pain of putting weight on it, and as I mentioned there is no swelling. Like you say he's young and hopefully this will be 'nothing'

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:24 am

And the 'Paul Harvey" part of this.....

He's been so excited about the Syracuse deal, he had cleaned his room ( that is a sickness of it's own) and redone his walls, he has lots of signed SU stuff posters and all. So he brought out the several ones he had no room for and was sitting indian style on the floor in front of the couch rolling them up and putting them in tubes to keep. He just went to get up and it happened. So I guess in some way we can blame Syracuse.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:28 am

beat wrote:And the 'Paul Harvey" part of this.....

He's been so excited about the Syracuse deal, he had cleaned his room ( that is a sickness of it's own) and redone his walls, he has lots of signed SU stuff posters and all. So he brought out the several ones he had no room for and was sitting indian style on the floor in front of the couch rolling them up and putting them in tubes to keep. He just went to get up and it happened. So I guess in some way we can blame Syracuse.

beat

Blame Jim Boeheim. The area papers all do, right up until he gets them to another excellent seed in the tournament every year...
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:36 am

NYCelt wrote:
beat wrote:And the 'Paul Harvey" part of this.....

beat

Blame Jim Boeheim. The area papers all do, right up until he gets them to another excellent seed in the tournament every year...

Could not agree more of all the NCAA D-1 coaches with 900 wins he is by far the worst.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Well the Dr thinks it's a torn meniscus, Still will need to confirm with an MRI but we have to wait for insurance clearance first then they will make the appointment, pretty much ends his senior year in basketball but hopefully he can rehab and be ready for baseball.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:37 pm

beat wrote:Well the Dr thinks it's a torn meniscus, Still will need to confirm with an MRI but we have to wait for insurance clearance first then they will make the appointment, pretty much ends his senior year in basketball but hopefully he can rehab and be ready for baseball.

beat

If so just re-assure Marcus that if an old guy like me can get get right back into it he'll be more than ready to go by baseball season.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:11 pm

[quote="beat"][quote="NYCelt"]
beat wrote:

Could not agree more of all the NCAA D-1 coaches with 900 wins he is by far the worst.

beat

Very Happy
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Not quite sure what is going on... but... Marcus just walked out of his room a little bit ago, said he was sitting playing playstation and as he moved felt another 'pop' and now is walking quite normal. Can put his full body weight on it. He went to practice at 4 just to be with the team, not to participate. I have no clue and we'll still have the MRI done soon as insurance approves it....

just seems strange. Of course the wife believes it's a Christmas miracle and I can't argue with that but I still want the MRI.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:31 pm

As someone who has had major and minor knee injuries I'd agree; get that MRI. But if something just "popped" back, go with the Christmas miracle and go play some more Playstation...
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:49 pm

Beat I think you said he did it sitting "Indian style." As a yoga practitioner who has had both knees repaired for torn meniscuses, tell Marcus to stick to basketball, it is much safer..... Yoga can be great for athletes, but the surgeon did tell me that he sees a ton of his patients with meniscus problems caused by the cross legged poses. All in moderation I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down