Howard, Gasol and Hill are all injured

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Howard, Gasol and Hill are all injured

Post by tjmakz on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Isn't this a nice surprise for Lakers fans that have already had so much fun this season...

Howard - Out Indefinitely (at least 1 week)
Gasol - Out at least 2 gaames
Hill - Out at least 2 games

tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Re: Howard, Gasol and Hill are all injured

Post by steve3344 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:49 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/howard-gasol-hill-sidelined-lakers-211507605--nba.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:54 pm

It's a good thing the Lakers next three games are easy ones: at Houston Tuesday, at San Antonio Wednesday and OKC Friday in LA.

Piece of cake.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:57 pm

3 key bigs, all injured.

Who do they think they are; us?

NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:06 pm

I watched the Laker/Denver game where Gasol got whacked hard right in the nose. Within seconds blood was just streaming out of his nose. Even being a Celtic fan I felt bad for him with the injury-riddled season he's had so far. With how (accidentally) forceful that shot he took to the face was it's no surprise he has a concussion.

Even when he comes back from this, with the gargantuan contract he has - $19 mil this year and owed $19,285,850 for next year - who's gonna trade anything significant for him with all his chronic injuries?

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:21 pm

Gasol's injuries are not career ending, so I'd definitely take a run at him. His $19M salary could be matched by trading Jeff Greene at $8.1M, Brandon Bass at $6.5 M, and Courtney Lee at $5 M.

I would pull the trigger on that trade, then flesh out a backup for Paul Pierce with another trade.

worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:03 pm

The Lakers are 3.5 games out of the playoffs. The Lakers, like the Celtics, are built for the 2nd season. All they need to do is not lose contact with the #8 seed. If they are within striking distance in March they should be ok since, by definition, the #8 team isn't a great team so catching them with a winning streak will be easier than the Celtics beating Chicago out for the #4 spot.

It's way to soon to panic, for either team. This is a dangerous spot for LA, as undermanned as they are for the next week or so, but it's just a week or so. If they can win 1 game out of 3, the damage will be contained and then they'll be healthy again.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:52 pm

The Lakers are in a tough spot, already underwhelming and entering a tough stretch of games with their top three big men out. Even so, I still think the playoffs are possible for them.

I saw yesterday where the average record for the 8th seed in the West over the past several years is 48 wins and that the Lakers would have to go 33-16 over the rest the season to get there. That may be so, but I'm inclined to think that the 8th seed won't have that many wins this year.

Here's my theory: the bottom of the West has gotten better.

To make the playoffs, you have to be better than seven other teams in the conference. In the recent past, there were four teams in the West you could automatically put out of the playoffs before the season began -- Kings, Timberwolves, Clippers, and Warriors. In a tier just above them, you had the Suns, Rockets, Blazers, Jazz, and Hornets generally having mediocre seasons with two of them getting into the playoffs. The rest of the conference fattened up on the reliably bad teams and whichever teams in the next tier were having an off year.

2008-09 - 4 worst teams combined for 83 wins; 8th seed at 48 wins
2009-10 - 4 worst teams combined for 95 wins; 8th seed at 50 wins
2010-11 - 4 worst teams combined for 109 wins; 8th seed at 46 wins
2011-12 - 4 worst teams combined for a projected 114 wins; 8th seed at a projected 45 wins
2012-13 - 4 worst teams currently averaging a projected 111 wins; 8th seed currently at a projected 46 wins

As you can see, the trend is that the bottom of the West has gotten better. The Clippers are obviously no longer a doormat, and even the Warriors are doing extremely well this year. Minnesota has gotten better and was projected to be in the playoff hunt but has been hampered by injuries. The Suns and Mavs have slipped to join the Kings and Hornets in the bottom four, but the Suns, Mavs, and Kings can all surprise on occasion.

It may take 45 wins to get the 8th seed. If so, the Lakers need to go 30-19 (.612) to make the playoffs. That's still a serious uphill climb, but it's far better than 33-16 (.673). There are currently eight teams playing better than that pace. Given the talent on the Lakers, that's possible.

Would I bet on it? I don't know. But it's certainly possible.

Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:55 pm

bobheckler wrote:The Lakers are 3.5 games out of the playoffs. The Lakers, like the Celtics, are built for the 2nd season. All they need to do is not lose contact with the #8 seed. If they are within striking distance in March they should be ok since, by definition, the #8 team isn't a great team so catching them with a winning streak will be easier than the Celtics beating Chicago out for the #4 spot.

It's way to soon to panic, for either team. This is a dangerous spot for LA, as undermanned as they are for the next week or so, but it's just a week or so. If they can win 1 game out of 3, the damage will be contained and then they'll be healthy again.

bob

They won't beat Houston in Houston with absolutely no front court and they're certainly not beating the Spurs or Thunder that way either.

0-3 in those games is as certain as Rondo not apologizing for bumping into another ref. And another. And another.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:56 am

Outside wrote:The Lakers are in a tough spot, already underwhelming and entering a tough stretch of games with their top three big men out. Even so, I still think the playoffs are possible for them.

I saw yesterday where the average record for the 8th seed in the West over the past several years is 48 wins and that the Lakers would have to go 33-16 over the rest the season to get there. That may be so, but I'm inclined to think that the 8th seed won't have that many wins this year.

To make the playoffs, you have to be better than seven other teams in the conference. In the recent past, there were four teams in the West you could automatically put out of the playoffs before the season began -- Kings, Timberwolves, Clippers, and Warriors. In a tier just above them, you had the Suns, Rockets, Blazers, Jazz, and Hornets generally having mediocre seasons with two of them getting into the playoffs. The rest of the conference fattened up on the reliably bad teams and whichever teams in the next tier were having an off year.

2011-12 - 4 worst teams combined for a projected 114 wins; 8th seed at a projected 45 wins
2012-13 - 4 worst teams currently averaging a projected 111 wins; 8th seed currently at a projected 46 wins

As you can see, the trend is that the bottom of the West has gotten better. The Clippers are obviously no longer a doormat, and even the Warriors are doing extremely well this year. Minnesota has gotten better and was projected to be in the playoff hunt but has been hampered by injuries. The Suns and Mavs have slipped to join the Kings and Hornets in the bottom four, but the Suns, Mavs, and Kings can all surprise on occasion.

It may take 45 wins to get the 8th seed. If so, the Lakers need to go 30-19 (.612) to make the playoffs. That's still a serious uphill climb, but it's far better than 33-16 (.673). There are currently eight teams playing better than that pace. Given the talent on the Lakers, that's possible.

After losing to Houston tonight, which I predicted, Lakers are now 15-19. After losses to San Antonio and OKC in their next two games they will be 15-21. Right now, Denver, in the 8th spot is playing .555 ball which translates into 46 wins. If the Lakers get to 46 wins after being 15-21 they would have to go 31-15, a .674 clip after playing the first 36 games at a .417 pace. Granted they had lots of injuries in the first part of the season but I don't expect their injury problems to pretty much disappear next week. Some will linger.

To think they can turn it around to that extent - playing .674 ball for the last 46 games after playing 36 games at a .417 clip is, in my opinion, a VERY long shot.

And that's what they are at this stage of the season - a very long shot to make the playoffs. Which I don't see them doing.

The Lakers in the lottery next year? With a team that includes Kobe, Dwight, Nash and Gasol? Hard to believe but I'd bet on it. And this is a team that in pre-season, Artest (that's what he still is to me) predicted would win 72 games. Maybe he meant this year and next year combined.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:10 am

Nash says it might take until summer time (summer time?) for the Lakers to get better:

"I obviously think with time — and that might mean through the summer — we can get better," Nash said, "but for this season it's definitely going to be a challenge to turn this around, to find the chemistry and cohesion, to find a way for the pieces to work together, to a find a way to get back in transition defense better.

"There are a number of things we have to try to improve on to get better, but the one thing we can't accept is to take our foot off the gas and accept things. We have to continue to fight."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-bolch-lakers-20130109,0,52973.column

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by sam on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:48 am

Just my opinion, and I don't want to insult any Lakers' fans, but I don't believe the Lakers have traditionally cultivated a strong enough culture of expecting to win so they can make a strong turnaround. I see that as a major difference between the Lakers and the Celtics.

I don't mean that the Lakers don't care about their performance and lack pride. Of course they're proud, and I'm sure they hate to lose. I just think that, through the years, they've been better front-runners than come-from-behind experts, and I believe the reason is cultural in nature.

There's usually been something about the kind of loosey-goosey, pseudo laid-back, Jack Nicholson/Dyan Cannon kind of environment with which the Lakers are often identified that has seemed to contrast with the kind of persistent intensity that most typically seems to characterize the Celtics. I'm quick to admit that the late 90s and early 00s were probably exceptions to that generalization about the Cs.

I'm not kicking the Lakers when they're a bit down. I sympathize with them, especially with all the key injuries they've had. The playoffs are a long way away. I won't be shocked if the Lakers make it, and I won't be shocked if they don't. I would be shocked if the Celtics didn't make the playoffs, just on the strength of the compulsion I feel their culture engenders.

By the way, I wouldn't have said anything remotely negative about the culture of the Minneapolis Lakers. They were intense diggers who never moderated their effort on the floor. I also think Kobe (even though I don't like him) is always doing his level best with an almost fanatical desire to win. But one player does not a culture transform.

Sam

sam
Admin

http://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:41 am

steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:The Lakers are in a tough spot, already underwhelming and entering a tough stretch of games with their top three big men out. Even so, I still think the playoffs are possible for them.

After losing to Houston tonight, which I predicted, Lakers are now 15-19. After losses to San Antonio and OKC in their next two games they will be 15-21. Right now, Denver, in the 8th spot is playing .555 ball which translates into 46 wins. If the Lakers get to 46 wins after being 15-21 they would have to go 31-15, a .674 clip after playing the first 36 games at a .417 pace. Granted they had lots of injuries in the first part of the season but I don't expect their injury problems to pretty much disappear next week. Some will linger.

To think they can turn it around to that extent - playing .674 ball for the last 46 games after playing 36 games at a .417 clip is, in my opinion, a VERY long shot.

And that's what they are at this stage of the season - a very long shot to make the playoffs. Which I don't see them doing.

The Lakers in the lottery next year? With a team that includes Kobe, Dwight, Nash and Gasol? Hard to believe but I'd bet on it. And this is a team that in pre-season, Artest (that's what he still is to me) predicted would win 72 games. Maybe he meant this year and next year combined.

Here's the interesting thing about the probability of the Lakers being in the lottery next summer.
Their 2013 1st round pick that they traded to Phoenix is not lottery protected.
If the Lakers don't make the playoffs, their lottery pick will be made by Phoenix.

tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:03 am

sam wrote:Just my opinion, and I don't want to insult any Lakers' fans, but I don't believe the Lakers have traditionally cultivated a strong enough culture of expecting to win so they can make a strong turnaround. I see that as a major difference between the Lakers and the Celtics.

I don't mean that the Lakers don't care about their performance and lack pride. Of course they're proud, and I'm sure they hate to lose. I just think that, through the years, they've been better front-runners than come-from-behind experts, and I believe the reason is cultural in nature.

There's usually been something about the kind of loosey-goosey, pseudo laid-back, Jack Nicholson/Dyan Cannon kind of environment with which the Lakers are often identified that has seemed to contrast with the kind of persistent intensity that most typically seems to characterize the Celtics. I'm quick to admit that the late 90s and early 00s were probably exceptions to that generalization about the Cs.

I'm not kicking the Lakers when they're a bit down. I sympathize with them, especially with all the key injuries they've had. The playoffs are a long way away. I won't be shocked if the Lakers make it, and I won't be shocked if they don't. I would be shocked if the Celtics didn't make the playoffs, just on the strength of the compulsion I feel their culture engenders.

By the way, I wouldn't have said anything remotely negative about the culture of the Minneapolis Lakers. They were intense diggers who never moderated their effort on the floor. I also think Kobe (even though I don't like him) is always doing his level best with an almost fanatical desire to win. But one player does not a culture transform.

Sam

Sam,

I have the complete opposite opinion about what you wrote about the Lakers as you do.
I think a part of their problem is that they have cultivated such a strong culture of winning that newer players might feel like they just need to put on the uniform and they will be championship contenders.

The Lakers organization has been so successful since Dr. Buss bought the team that they generally have not had to play from behind and have been contenders almost every season. The way most teams become successful again is to "tank" or "rebuild" throught the draft. The Lakers have played at a high level for so long that they have never been able to rebuild their team through the draft. OKC is where they are because they were a doormat for years and they were able to draft Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and Harden in 3 years. LAC are where they are because of the draft and having financial flexibility.

What is happening to the Lakers now is not because of the nature of the organization, it is because of execution on the court.
Other teams are faster, younger and they shoot and defend better.
They are also on coach number 3 this season and have not played together for many games.

tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:45 am

Sam I think its on personel, look how slow that team is, young points are salivating to go at/through/ and right by Steve Nash. Kobe and Metta are slow defenders, as is Gasol, they just can't defend at all....thats on the construction on the team. Add to that D'Antoni can't coach defense, its not his thing. Amare said recently his whole career he was never taught defense.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:39 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Sam I think its on personel, look how slow that team is, young points are salivating to go at/through/ and right by Steve Nash. Kobe and Metta are slow defenders, as is Gasol, they just can't defend at all....thats on the construction on the team. Add to that D'Antoni can't coach defense, its not his thing. Amare said recently his whole career he was never taught defense.

Here is D'Antoni's response to Amare's comment:

“Come on. He just threw (former Phoenix coach) Frank Johnson, myself, (and current Suns coach) Alvin Gentry (under the bus). Actually, Mike Woodson, (was) he saving the good stuff?” D’Antoni asked. “He was the defensive coach (last year). 'I’ll save that until I really coach him.' That doesn’t make any sense."

Though D’Antoni has been cast as more of an offensive coach, in Phoenix he coached players who took pride in playing defense like Shawn Marion and Raja Bell. Both were referenced by name in questions. D’Antoni, still baffled, didn’t have much to add.

tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:44 pm

Sam,

You said "I don't mean that the Lakers don't care about their performance and lack pride. Of course they're proud, and I'm sure they hate to lose. I just think that, through the years, they've been better front-runners than come-from-behind experts, and I believe the reason is cultural in nature." You and Rosalie and a few others here are the acknowledged experts on the Russell Celtics but I've heard they had the same view, with 1969, the year the old, staggering war horses saddled up for one last ride to glory and the history books, as the exception. Winning, consistently, will give that to you.

In the Lakers case they were helped for many years by virtue of a weaker conference. As the NBA spread west in the '60s and '70s many of the new franchises were created in the west and at least one established franchise moved east (the St. Louis Hawks moved to Atlanta and the EC). The LA Lakers were established in Minny, had a winning history (the first NBA dynasty) and competed for the WC title and a shot for the Championship against whom? The Phoenix Suns (franchised in 1969)? The Houston Rockets (franchised in 1968)? Portlant Trailblazers (franchised 1971)? My point is that it takes years for brand-new franchises to be able to compete at a high level and, because the NBA spread west first and then filled in the medium-sized market gaps (Memphis, Orlando, Toronto, etal) later, the Lakers by virtue of their geography caught almost two decades or so of breaks. This all changed, for everybody but especially for the Lakers, in 1977 with the NBA/ABA merger. Now they were going up against established franchises like Denver (Dan Issel, David Thompson) and San Antonio (George "The Ice Man" Gervin, Billy "The Whopper" Paultz and Larry Kenon. Paultz and Kenon were picked up when the NY Nets had to have a fire sale to pay the piper for entering the NBA in the NYK's territory. Dr. J went to Philly and that finished the final gutting of the team). The Spurs started in the EC, but were moved to the WC in 1981. So, the Lakers reaped the benefits of moving an established franchise into the WC early. Good for them, of course, and it allowed them to be the top dog in the WC for years. Ergo, a culture of expecting to be on top. Certainly no fault to them, you don't get to pick your competition and who is in your conference. You just feast on them and say "thanks".

The Celtics were in dog fights, in which we were usually the top dog too, with veteran ball clubs for much of the early part of our career. Makes sense, we were one of the originals and so we battled original, established clubs.

Houston had a nice run, with Hakeem the Dream, San Antonio has had a nice run with Tim Duncan but there hasn't been a longstanding nemesis for the Lakers like we have had with the Pistons, Knicks and, going back, the Rochester Royals, Syracuse Nationals etc., where if it wasn't one it was the other.

LA also has the benefit of being the biggest market, by far, in the west.

I'm not diminishing LA's results, I'm agreeing with you that they have a culture of winning and there are long-established, well-justified reasons for it.

TJ,

I agree with your statement about how the newer Lakers think that putting on a uniform almost guarantees them a ring. Part of that is the fact that the Lakers have been so successful, so why not them too, right? I see a difference between that attitude and the attitude of the newer Celtics. Former Celtics are granted life-time access to the locker room. When Tommy Heinsohn, 8x champion as a player and 2x champion as a coach, is walking around on an almost daily basis it must be hard to be nonchalant. If you have ever listened to Tommy do a broadcast you know he is a big-time homie, but he is also still extremely competitive. His play-by-play partner, Mike Gorman, said the other day that they were watching a "good game". Tommy replied "to hell with that! I want to win!".

I don't know if I'm explaining this well, but with the Celtics it's not so much an expectation of winning so much as there is an almost insecure need to win, just so you don't embarrass the old-timers who made this franchise. If there's two things all professional athletes seem to have in common, it's that they all have pride and ego. In this case, their pride and ego drives them to fight harder. To be honest, I don't understand why it's true with some Lakers (Kobe and D-Fish leap to mind) but not so true with so many of the others, like you said.

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:35 pm

bob,

Good points.
I watch probably 77 or 78 out of 82 Celtics games a year.
I am quite familiar with Tommy.
He drives me crazy but you take him for what he is.
Even though his homerism and complaining against the referees has turned into a side show, he deserves the upmost respect from all fans who care about the NBA. I really enjoy Mike Gorman. He is balanced, eloquent and a professional announcer and person.

Getting back to the Lakers vs. Celtics, I do think the organizations have different personalities that they want their players to fit into. The Lakers are a Hollywood team with drama every year. They want to be an offensive team that thrills the audience. Boston is a defensive, gritty, and tough team and they expect that from their players.

tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:45 pm

tjmakz wrote:bob,

Good points.
I watch probably 77 or 78 out of 82 Celtics games a year.
I am quite familiar with Tommy.
He drives me crazy but you take him for what he is.
Even though his homerism and complaining against the referees has turned into a side show, he deserves the upmost respect from all fans who care about the NBA. I really enjoy Mike Gorman. He is balanced, eloquent and a professional announcer and person.

Getting back to the Lakers vs. Celtics, I do think the organizations have different personalities that they want their players to fit into. The Lakers are a Hollywood team with drama every year. They want to be an offensive team that thrills the audience. Boston is a defensive, gritty, and tough team and they expect that from their players.

TJ,

You watch 77-78 Celtic games a year? Damn, I'm jealous, I don't think I get to watch that many. Too bad your baby blankets were purple-and-gold, you'd make a fine citizen of Celtics Nation. You've already paid your dues.

East coast vs west coast. As an east coaster who now resides on the left coast I see the difference every day. Even the blue collar workers out here aren't as gritty. Team's take on the personality of their fans. If you put a Doug Moe-like offense in Boston there would be a definite cultural separation. That's why D'Antoni's efforts in NY weren't appreciated and he didn't last long. He was the coach in Phoenix for 5 years. They had exciting teams there, but they were strictly greyhounds because that's what his system needs and the Phoenix fans liked it. In Denver, with their ABA history, they'd probably like it too. In Boston with our history of Bill Russell and Cowens and Bird, we'd bewail the Celtics' lack of defense and softness (unless they won a championship, in which case all would be forgiven, of course). His problem now, perhaps, will be that the media glare and fan expectations are significantly higher. He didn't produce fast enough for NYers and that might be true here. Here's a link to a LA Times article that is already claiming that the D'Antoni experiment is a failure. Obviously, this is just one writer's opinion and I personally don't think it is fair to dump all this on D'Antoni (refer to my plowhorse vs racehorse metaphor on another thread), but the drumbeat is beginning already. http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/05/sports/la-sp-simers-lakers-20130106

Most Laker fans today began with Magic's Showtime, just as most Celtic fans today started with Larry Legend's team. D'Antoni's style, in my opinion, would go down easier in LA than in Boston, due to the history the fans are plugged into and the local ethos. I also think there is a selective amnesia among Laker fans (NOT you) regarding pre-Magic Lakers. My bitch with the Buss family began with Jerry's unwillingness to retire George Mikan and Slater Martin's (5x champions each) numbers like he retired Gail Goodrich's (1), West's (1) and Baylor's (0). Man, if you don't exalt your champions by any and all means available you are seriously missing the boat and Mikan and his boys were no sissies. It's almost like Buss made a deliberate decision to not start the clock on Laker history until after they won a championship in LA. Yeah, he created a plaque honoring the Minny guys, but it's not the same as hanging 99 and 15 right next to 33, 32 and 42. Other than this, as I have stated, I have tremendous respect for Jerry Buss and what he has accomplished in his life.

Exalt showtime and that becomes the accepted and expected style. Exalt clock-punching, lunchpail carrying grinders and that becomes the accepted and expected style. Here in the bay area, our problem for years has been that many of today's Warrior fans grew up with Run TMC. They did't win shit, but they were fun and exciting to watch, and that became an acceptable style and tolerated result. It became "who the Warriors were", they're run-and-gunners, win-or-lose.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Speaking of homerism of announcers, I watch a lot of league pass and get all the different announcers. I can't name one set that are not just as biased as the Celtic announcers are. There are a few out there that escape my mind, but in general they are all pretty much the same.

tardust

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum