sinus007
worcester
NYCelt
Matty
dboss
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rondo suspended...again???? - Page 2 Empty Re: Rondo suspended...again????

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:44 pm

Rondo is now playing a foolish game of how far he can come to the edge without going over. I hope he cools his butt, because another action like that in a playoff game could mean a series being lost. It is a selfish game he is playing with his teammates being affected.

What I do not get is why he failed to cooperate with the NBA. That automatically cost him to miss a key game (NYK). He could have drew it out to where he got suspended on Wednesday...a non key game.

Just a PS. Why do we play inspired ball when Rondo is out...inquiring minds want to know!

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:50 pm

Agree, it was stupid to not cooperate with the league - you don't pee against the wind.
As for "inspired ball" - Celtics did play it with RR the last 2 games, IMO.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:23 am

I'm a huge Rondo fan, but he did bump the ref, and that's sure to draw heat from the league office. He needs an attitude adjustment. Period.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:56 am

That play by Rondo is called a foul on the defense 99% of the time. 100% of the time against Lebron, Kobe, etc.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:13 am

sinus007 wrote:TJ,
I'm not sure I understand. You wrote "...You can't tell from the video..." so, how can you tell what RR did or didn't do? Do you, by any chance, have additional cams shooting from different angles? If so, you should've provided that footage to the league as evidence.
------
Also, it seems like the league just discredited that ref: if he did nothing after a physical contact with a player it means that in his judgement there was nothing. OTOH, there's a simple explanation: RR bumped him so hard that he forgot the rules due to concussion and momentary lost of memory. OK, now I understand...

AK

Sinus, I was watching the game on League Pass and the game was from the Atlanta announcers. They showed a replay from straight on with Rondo coming toward the camera and it was clear that he stepped into Smith and pushed him with his right shoulder. Maybe the Boston feed didn't show that replay. The referee made a mistake by not calling Rondo for a technical. He said something like "what are you doing?" when Rondo made contact with him.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:17 am

tardust wrote:That play by Rondo is called a foul on the defense 99% of the time. 100% of the time against Lebron, Kobe, etc.

I couldn't disagree more with your statement. If it was Rondo guarding Smith who was the offensive player you would say that is a clear offensive foul. There shouldn't be any justification of Rondo's poor behavior toward the referees. This is his third event in a year toward the referees.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:26 am

tjmakz wrote:
tardust wrote:That play by Rondo is called a foul on the defense 99% of the time. 100% of the time against Lebron, Kobe, etc.

I couldn't disagree more with your statement. If it was Rondo guarding Smith who was the offensive player you would say that is a clear offensive foul. There shouldn't be any justification of Rondo's poor behavior toward the referees. This is his third event in a year toward the referees.

First off you have no idea what I would say if it was reversed. What Rondo did was not anything. If it was the ref would have called a technical. No emotion was involved at all. Clearly walking toward the ref and they made contact. I didn't see any intention at all that he was trying to make that contact either.

So we will see what kind of action is taken against a player stalking a visitors locker room and then waiting out by the bus for the visiting team to leave.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:06 am

Apparently what Rondo did was something. He made contact with the referee and was suspended for it. When a player walks toward a referee in a situation like this and makes contact, they deserve a suspension. I am sure the league will investigate the Carmelo Anthony issue from last night.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:01 pm

tjmakz wrote:Apparently what Rondo did was something. He made contact with the referee and was suspended for it. When a player walks toward a referee in a situation like this and makes contact, they deserve a suspension. I am sure the league will investigate the Carmelo Anthony issue from last night.

The ref obviously didn't think much about it. You seem to be a stickler for a rule when you say "When a player walks toward a referee in a situation like this and makes contact, they deserve a suspension." That is no different than when a player thinks he has been fouled and throws his arm toward the ref screaming. That is obviously showing up the official. I have seen a certain player do that numerous times with no consequences. Its a rule, shouldn't they call it? As I said it was nothing and took a GM to make something out of it because 99% of the people that was watching it did not notice anything. What I am saying is its nothing, just like showing up a official. If I thought or it appeared that Rondo was reacting, threatening, emotional, etc in any way I would feel different. There are different standards for different players whether you want to admit it or not. Rondo was purely a victim of past behavior. If that had been any of a number of other players in the league we would not even be talking about it today.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Guys I would watch Tommy comments which should help clear up this topic.

http://www.csnne.com/basketball-boston-celtics/celtics-talk/Heinsohn-sounds-off-on-Rondos-suspension?blockID=821023&feedID=10602

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:28 pm

LOVE Tommy and he is absolutely right.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:33 pm

Donny Marshall was 100 percent correct. The suspension was due to the contact with the referee, not for blowing off the commissioners office. Tommy's point is almost comical. Why would Ferry's fine be the same as Rondo's?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Rondo makes about $125,000 per game. What if it was a player that makes only $5,000 per game?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:48 pm

First, Danny Ferry is an ass. I can see him pointing out a flagrant foul to the league office that involved one of his own players....but to stoop to this level concerning an opposing player and ref is way out of bounds....so unprofessional!

Oh...you cannot win the battle on the court so you resort to bush league tactics to get an opposing player suspended.

The ref's can take care of themselves and decide if there was a problem or not....what the hell is a GM getting involved in a ref problem unrelated to a call/play on the court!

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:49 pm

tardust wrote:
tjmakz wrote:Apparently what Rondo did was something. He made contact with the referee and was suspended for it. When a player walks toward a referee in a situation like this and makes contact, they deserve a suspension. I am sure the league will investigate the Carmelo Anthony issue from last night.

The ref obviously didn't think much about it. You seem to be a stickler for a rule when you say "When a player walks toward a referee in a situation like this and makes contact, they deserve a suspension." That is no different than when a player thinks he has been fouled and throws his arm toward the ref screaming. That is obviously showing up the official. I have seen a certain player do that numerous times with no consequences. Its a rule, shouldn't they call it? As I said it was nothing and took a GM to make something out of it because 99% of the people that was watching it did not notice anything. What I am saying is its nothing, just like showing up a official. If I thought or it appeared that Rondo was reacting, threatening, emotional, etc in any way I would feel different. There are different standards for different players whether you want to admit it or not. Rondo was purely a victim of past behavior. If that had been any of a number of other players in the league we would not even be talking about it today.

I guess I am a stickler for the rule about players not being allowed to make contact with the referees.
Making contact with a referee and a player throwing their arms in the air is not the same thing.
Yes, there are different standards for different players. Players earn their reputation with the referees.
MWP, Rasheed and Rondo probably have the worst reputations in the league from a referees standpoint.
On that play against Atlanta, any player would have been suspended.
Can you name one time in the last few years where a player made contact with a referee after being called for a foul and was not suspended?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:52 pm

112288 wrote:First, Danny Ferry is an ass. I can see him pointing out a flagrant foul to the league office that involved one of his own players....but to stoop to this level concerning an opposing player and ref is way out of bounds....so unprofessional!

Oh...you cannot win the battle on the court so you resort to bush league tactics to get an opposing player suspended.

The ref's can take care of themselves and decide if there was a problem or not....what the hell is a GM getting involved in a ref problem unrelated to a call/play on the court!

GM's regularly ask the league office to review a play.
With the one with Rondo, I am pretty sure the league knew about it and didn't need anything from Ferry.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi,
I wasn't aware of Ferry's involvement.
Now "stupid does-stupid is" comes to my mind. I'm not talking about RR, I'm talking about the league. So they fined Ferry - big deal but they not only accepted his accusation but acted on on it. They created a precedence - now all teams will be hunting their opposition, especially in playoffs.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:04 pm

tjmakz wrote:

With the one with Rondo, I am pretty sure the league knew about it and didn't need anything from Ferry.

Yes they do....but emailing the information to the league office....NOT by following the refs into their locker room.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:07 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

Yes they do....but emailing the information to the league office....NOT by following the refs into their locker room.

And that is why Ferry was fined.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:15 pm

TJ,

You are missing the point. It was unprofessional by Ferry...call it sourer gapes because Atlanta has had the ass kicked for years by the Celtics.

And let me be clear....I am not defending Rondo nor am I saying he did not bump the ref! I am saying is it is bush league to bring to the attention anything that went beyond a play call that did not involve an Atlanta player. It was a ref incident only!

1) I know league officials review plays.
2) This was not an incident that took place within a play! It was an incident that came after a play that had nothing to do with an Atlanta player with a Celtic player or the play itself.
3) This would never have been brought up by officials to the league because the official did not call anything on the SPOT. It only became something bigger because Ferry created an ACTION (showing video to refs) which automatically caused the refs to have to show this to league officials.

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Teams providing videos to the league to highlight perceived infractions by other teams or unfairness by the referees toward their own team is nothing new. That's been going on for a long time. Some teams like the Mavs (hello, Mark Cuban) do it more than others, but the Mavs are hardly the only ones. What's rare is that a) anyone in the general public finds out about it; and b) that a player appears to get fined or suspended as a result.

What's galling to Boston fans is that Rondo winds up getting suspended when the ref didn't call a tech at the time and that the league appears to have suspended Rondo based on a complaint by the Atlanta GM, Danny Ferry. I understand that completely.

But I also think Rondo deserved the suspension. He walked straight over to the ref and bumped him because he was unhappy with the call. The ref should've called a technical and should've thrown him out of the game. He clearly notices the contact and was probably thinking, oh man, do I throw him out of the game over this? He decided to let it slide, but the league cannot let that slide, especially when this is the third incident of Rondo making contact with a referee in the past year (throwing the ball at a ref in March, chest-bumping a ref during the Atlanta playoff series in April).

Tommy's version of the situation doesn't help things from my perspective. Rondo is asked to explain his position during a phone call with the league, says "you're gonna do what you're gonna do," and hangs up on them? Wow. Maybe if he shows contrition during the call and doesn't act like a jerk, the league winds up fining him instead of suspending him, but when you blow them off and hang up on them, don't be surprised that they bring the hammer down.

Danny Ferry is thoroughly unlikeable, but that doesn't change what Rondo did. There's no way to know at this point, but I think that there's a good possibility that the league would've taken action on this regardless of whether Ferry made a stink about it.

I find Rondo's actions, both in the game and in the followup phone call, inexcusable and contributing to a disturbing pattern showing lack of control and anger issues on Rondo's part, particularly toward referees.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Outside,

I agree with what you laid out.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Outside, ditto. RR has mental health issues, sorry to say. I still love the guy but wish he'd learn the serenity prayer.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:06 pm

worcester wrote:Outside, ditto. RR has mental health issues, sorry to say. I still love the guy but wish he'd learn the serenity prayer.

The kid is competitive and sometimes crosses the line. He needs to reel it in, and grow up a bit...but mental health issues? Give me a break. Rolling Eyes
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:19 pm

No seriously, he has anger management issues. To get suspended three or four games out of 80-90 is messed up. To physically interact with a non-combatant (a ref) is messed up. Rondo is in denial that he has a problem. He thinks it's ok to be hypercompetitive with no restraints. It isn't. This defect will play out in other areas of his life. He needs to address it, for his sake.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next