This one really takes the cake

View previous topic View next topic Go down

This one really takes the cake

Post by bobheckler on Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:19 pm

I thought it was weird for Robert Parish and Bill Walton to be vegetarians (nothing against vegetarians, in general, but athletes usually need high quantities of proteins to heal muscles), but fasting? For 15 days? Maybe this is what made him think confronting KG was a good idea. He was light-headed. Momma always said "stupid is as stupid does". To me, this is one of, if not THE, dumbest, most self-righteous and self-centered thing I've ever heard of an athlete doing. If there was a "Bonehead of the Year" Award, Melo'd be a charter member.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/msn/carmelo_anthony_says_he_has_been_fasting/12650431

Carmelo Anthony is in the midst of a season where his Knicks are making a statement, and he is averaging over 29 points per game. He’s having one of the best seasons of his career, and the team’s record reflects it.

Lately, however, 'Melo has had some games where he has gotten off to slow starts and hasn’t shot the ball terribly well. The reason is something you probably wouldn’t expect.

According to 'Melo, he has been fasting for the past 15 days, which could definitely explain a little lack of energy. Via NBC Sports:

He admitted to being on a 15-day fast and that it was hard for him to feel energized during games.

“I usually do it to get some clarity in my life and spiritual reasons,” Anthony said after going for 27 points and seven boards as the Knicks snapped a three-game losing streak with a 100-87 win over the New Orleans Hornets. “But I’m done now….

“It’s a long story, man,” he said of his fast. “I haven’t had a good meal in about two and a half weeks. No meats, no carbs, anything like that. So I don’t know how I was out there competing at a high level. It’s been some games this past week where your body just feels depleted out there and you’re trying to find a way to get some energy.

“But I surrender, I’m done. I’m going to get some food right now.

This makes a lot of sense; imagine how hard it must be to play any professional sport while also trying to fast? The lack of carbs and protein must have been a huge problem for him over the past 15 days.

I’m sure Knicks fans are ready for 'Melo to end this and start eating normally once again.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Re: This one really takes the cake

Post by Matty on Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:28 pm

well...

i aint gonna knock him if he done if for religious reasons.

BUT, as he said, he didnt know how he has been "competing at a high leval" taking steps to affect your bady's ability to do what you do for a living- and others (teammates) counting on you makes me ponder.. couldnt he have done so not during the reguler (or post) season? Could there have been another way to clear his head?

aint gonna knock him, but theres a time and place for everything. Was this the right time to do something like that, thats all im sayin.

Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Didn't Hakeem also fast during the season?

bobc33

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:58 pm

OOH the poor basketball player, fasting for two weeks....Now he knows what wrestlers feel like. To be able to wrestle in a weight class my coach needed me in, I once lost 18 pounds from a Saturday to a Wednesday match by eating only 1 egg and one grapefruit in the interim. Insane, stupid, and unhealthy sure, but back in the day that's what wrestlers often did.

For a basketball player to do it without having to make a weight class? Now that's nuts!

worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:04 pm

Did it to make weight when I used to box.

Not great for performance.

Might explain that crooked septum inside my nose.

NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:09 pm

I feel ya NY Celt.

worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:44 am

Matty wrote:well...

i aint gonna knock him if he done if for religious reasons.

BUT, as he said, he didnt know how he has been "competing at a high leval" taking steps to affect your bady's ability to do what you do for a living- and others (teammates) counting on you makes me ponder.. couldnt he have done so not during the reguler (or post) season? Could there have been another way to clear his head?

aint gonna knock him, but theres a time and place for everything. Was this the right time to do something like that, thats all im sayin.

Matty, somehow Melo doesn't strike me as the religious type. I may be wrong though. I normally don't hear people of religion use words like I see him talk on the court. To each their own I guess.

tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:46 am

worcester wrote:OOH the poor basketball player, fasting for two weeks....Now he knows what wrestlers feel like. To be able to wrestle in a weight class my coach needed me in, I once lost 18 pounds from a Saturday to a Wednesday match by eating only 1 egg and one grapefruit in the interim. Insane, stupid, and unhealthy sure, but back in the day that's what wrestlers often did.

For a basketball player to do it without having to make a weight class? Now that's nuts!

One grapefruit and one egg a day? 18 lbs? I need to check that out.

tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:56 am

Nope. That was one egg and a grapefruit in five days! Plus hours working out in the steam tunnels in a rubber suit sweating. Lucky my heart didn't quit.

worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:09 am

worcester wrote:Nope. That was one egg and a grapefruit in five days! Plus hours working out in the steam tunnels in a rubber suit sweating. Lucky my heart didn't quit.

Well I can't have grapefruit anyway since it doesn't mix with BP medicine. I guess I will have to figure out another way.

tardust

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top