Ainge Admits Interest In Oden

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ainge Admits Interest In Oden

Post by NYCelt on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Is this a commentary on the scarce number of quality big men available?

Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge confirmed Thursday during his weekly appearance on Boston sports radio WEEI that the team is "monitoring" former Portland Trail Blazers center Greg Oden, but haven't made an attempt to sign the 7-footer. ESPN.com

Boston Celtics, Free Agency, Danny Ainge, Greg Oden | share

"I don't think (he'd be ready to play this year)," Ainge said. "I don't know any of that for sure, but I would suspect that anybody that would sign him would have their eyes looking more towards his contribution in the future than now." ESPN.com

Boston Celtics, Free Agency, Danny Ainge, Greg Oden | share

NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Re: Ainge Admits Interest In Oden

Post by tardust on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:48 pm

Scarce number of big men.

tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:12 pm

Celtics, Spurs, Cavaliers Interested In Oden
Jan 17, 2013 8:46 PM EST

Danny Ainge confirmed the Boston Celtics are “monitoring” Greg Oden.

Oden is recovering from microfracture surgery and hopes to sign with an NBA team before the end of this season.

"Yeah, so we're monitoring Greg, like all the NBA teams are, but we have not attempted to sign him," Ainge said Thursday. "But we are monitoring him and having (conversations) with his people just to see where he's at."

Oden has played a total of 82 games due to a series of knee injuries.

"I don't think (he'd be ready to play this year)," Ainge said. "I don't know any of that for sure, but I would suspect that anybody that would sign him would have their eyes looking more towards his contribution in the future than now."

CBS Sports reports that the San Antonio Spurs and Cleveland Cavaliers are also interested in Oden.

Via Greg Payne/ESPN

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:14 pm

Again, Danny looking to go cheap with a vital position (Center). What you pay is what you get Danny............Sheed, Shaq, ......you can keep on naming them!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:44 pm

You get what you pay for and you also get what you can pay for. Unless Trader Danny gets on his horse and rides all we're going to get at this point, with our team salary total being what it is, are 2nd rate cast-offs and retreads.

We were feeling good when we had Darko (I can't even believe I just said that), weren't we? Well, what was he except a 2nd rate cast-off from every team he's ever played on?

He filled out the roster with Steamer, a globe-trotting hopeful and D-Leaguer, and that turned out better than we expected.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. A young Dave Cowens isn't walking through that door anytime soon.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:55 pm

Bob,

I look at the situation at center much like Red would have. He (Red) said the most important position is the center position. You build your team out from there. Danny I believe has used his salary & cap room incorrectly ever since he traded Perkins. Several cases in points:

1) Paul Pierce at $15-16 million per year. That position does not warrant that amount and for Pierce...even if a Celtic legend...does not warrant that amount.

2) Jeff Green at $9 million + a year. Sorry he does not warrant that amount for a bench guy at that position.

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:26 pm

112288 wrote:I look at the situation at center much like Red would have. He (Red) said the most important position is the center position. You build your team out from there. Danny I believe has used his salary & cap room incorrectly ever since he traded Perkins. Several cases in points:

1) Paul Pierce at $15-16 million per year. That position does not warrant that amount and for Pierce...even if a Celtic legend...does not warrant that amount.

2) Jeff Green at $9 million + a year. Sorry he does not warrant that amount for a bench guy at that position.

Hey, I'm all for appreciating what a center can do, but times, and the game, were different when Red said that. Wing players and point guards dominate the game today. Just sayin'.

1) Whether the position warrants that amount depends on who is filling it (I'd say LeBron and Durant more than warrant it). Pierce may not warrant that amount every night, but he does some nights. What do you think Pierce does warrant? Iguodala gets $16 million, Gallinari and Kirilenko get $10 million. Given that Iggy is overpaid, what do you think Pierce is worth? How about $12 million? Considering that superior performers get overpaid at the end of their careers relative to their performance at that time, a $3.3 million bonus for exemplary service over his career doesn't seem so bad.

2) Most people agree Green is overpaid, but Danny is betting that there are decidedly better days ahead for Green, and we have yet to see whether that bet will pay off. As with Pierce, I don't think he's overpaid by that much -- Thaddeus Young gets $8.6 million, Caron Butler $8 million, and Trevor Ariza $7.7 million. You can say those guys are overpaid, too, but at some point, there's a market for talented players, and this is it.

Even if you'd saved $5 million by paying Pierce and Green less, it's not enough to pay for one of the better centers in a free agent market. Ten centers make $10.7 million or more, and that includes Bargnani (yuck), DeAndre Jordan, and Nene. Gortat is a steal at $7.7 million this year and next, but you can double that when he's a free agent in 2014. Other than the underpaid Gortat, there's no one to get with that extra $5 million.

Which leads us back to Oden. If you can get him for the minimum or a little more, great. If not, pass. If you had that extra $5 million, Oden would not be the place to spend it.

Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:00 pm

OUTSIDE,

Pierce is/was at the time of the contract worth about $10 -12 max per year. Just think if Danny had another $4-6million extra to dump into a center position, what kind of player you would have!

I disagree with the center position. Regardless of what era you are in, the #5 position for what ever you are looking for either defense/rebounding/ scoring or a combo of all three - it is the dominating position on the court.

I know what you are saying about the wings becoming the most important positions, but I humbly believe that it is just a phase that the NBA and teams are going through thinking and structuring wise in terms of building out a team. Call it a fad if you may but I believe the cycle will turn back the other way.

Just my feelings and what I took away from having read all of Reds books.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:25 pm

A year from now everyone will be drooling over a Duke freshman named Jabari Walker. I just hope Daany can persuade that fellow Mormon to join the Celtics in 2014-15.

worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:29 pm

worcester wrote:A year from now everyone will be drooling over a Duke freshman named Jabari Walker. I just hope Daany can persuade that fellow Mormon to join the Celtics in 2014-15.

That, Worcester, would be an incredible addition.

We would probably have to tank awfully bad to have a shot, however!

NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:36 pm

One can dream.

worcester

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum