worcester
tjmakz
gyso
Sam
tardust
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Celtics Elevating Interest In J.J. Redick Empty Celtics Elevating Interest In J.J. Redick

Post by 112288 Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:05 am

Via Marc Stein/ESPN (Twitter)

The Boston Celtics have "ramped up" their interest level in J.J. Redick.

It was reported last week that the Celtics expressed strong interest in the Orlando Magic guard, who's having a career season, averaging almost 15 points and 4.4 assists.

Shooting from the two-guard spot has been a void for the Celtics throughout the season.

Back to top Go down

Celtics Elevating Interest In J.J. Redick Empty Re: Celtics Elevating Interest In J.J. Redick

Post by tardust Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:02 am

not sure who it would take to get him but I think he would help. Deep shooting is turning into a important part of teams now. JJ would be better than anyone we have doing that. If JJ was in Terry's place all year, I got the feeling our record would be better. I was a supporter of JT when he got here but he is not fitting our team.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Celtics Elevating Interest In J.J. Redick Empty Re: Celtics Elevating Interest In J.J. Redick

Post by Sam Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:52 am

Tardust,

Sad but true. Although I'd love to see Terry shipped out (I like him personally, but he's obviously not fitting in), it's difficult to imagine that the Celtics could get anything in trade for an older under-achiever with two years remaining on his contract.

As I recall, Redick is also a pretty decent defender, isn't he? That might justify trading Lee for him, although Lee is impressing me with his ability to create his own shot attacking the hoop (a skill the Celtics desperately need). I hate to see them trade away one strength to gain another.

Another factor would be that Lee has three years remaining on his contract, whereas Redick's expires at the end of this season.

Either Terry (yeah, right!) or Lee straight up for Redick works salary-wise.

One thing about being ranked halfway down in the standings as the trade deadline nears is that Celtics' draft picks might look a little more valuable to potential trade partners than as if the Celts ranked higher in the standing.

The guy I'd really like to see the Celtics get is Vukevic. Not happening.

I have this recurring dream lately in which I win a contest to become Celtics general manager for a day; and I promptly trade Bass, Terry and a #1 for Redick, Vukevic and (to make the salaries work) Josh McDaniels.....and I also sign Delonte West. And I am promptly elected General Manager of the Century by acclimation. Helping the Celtics would be nice, but I'd be in it for one day of a general manager's pay.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:13 am

Sam,

Your not too far off, however DO NOT TRADE LEE! He is becoming a great role player in Doc's system. Orlando does not have a strong hand with Reddick becoming a free agent so Terry and draft pick is ok.

Yes, Bring back West as another role player.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:29 am

Believe me, I don't want the Celtics to trade Courtney Lee. I agree that he's proving capable of fitting into the system nicely. The problem is, which Celtics player(s) WHO WOULD BE ATTRACTIVE TO ORLANDO would you trade for Redick? You don't get rich food in exchange for the way the food winds up.

Moreover, why would the Magic trade Redick? The only reason I can think of is that they're afraid he'll walk when his contract's up at the end of this season. The Celtics would be taking a gamble that they could re-sign him.

Unless there's a major turnaround on Jason Terry's part during the next few months (and I hope there is), I won't be shocked if the Celtics wind up amnestying him after this season.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:46 am

Sam,

Question, can you do a sign and trade or have an agreed contract extension with Reddick? Second...depends if JJ wants to remain with Orlando. If not he is a goner come summer. We may then have to wait for the summer to get him and maybe Josh Smith another free agent come summer.......however I would try to trade Bass for Smith.

Who would I trade. Well Orlando is looking youth...right...trade Green and get that $9M off our books. Maybe getting a 3rd team involved.

However I would look to Utah or PHX as possible trade partners.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:23 pm

Sam,

The amnesty provision is only for contracts signed before the new CBA went into affect. That leaves JT out.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:27 pm

Gyso, I forgot that. Thanks. Can you shed any light on 112288's question (above)?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:34 pm

Terry and a draft pick for Redick and Bass for Josh Smith are not realistic.
I can't see any team having any interest in taking the contract of Bass or Terry for a player that has an expiring contract.

A sign and trade can't be completed in season.

I would be hesitant to give up Lee and something else for Redick since he will be a unrestricted free agent when the season is over.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:58 pm

I agree, TJ. Value for value is the rule.

If the Celtics don't get a true backup floor general, I think Lee and Redick would be a great backcourt duo because of their complementary skills. Redick to space the floor, Lee to penetrate (and be a secondary three-point threat), two pretty good defenders, and averaging 7.4 assists per 36 minutes between them.

But the two players most people are targeting as desirable trade bait (Bass and Terry) are probably among the least attractive trade targets for Celtics opponents.

The one thing the Celtics have going for them is that Atlanta and the Magic must be fearing that Smith and Redick could walk with nothing in return. Perhaps Green, Fab, and a draft pick for Smith....and Lee-or-Terry plus Barbosa for Redick could be doable. If it could be Terry rather than Lee, I'd make the same promises to God that I make while in the dentist's chair; but I can't see Orlando doing it.

The above-mentioned hypothetical trades do work financially, by the way.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Sam,

The Green, Fab and a draft pick does not work for two reasons.
The difference in Green and Fab's salary is greater then 125% plus $100,000 from what Josh Smith is making. Also, Boston can only take on an additional $2.7m in salary this season due to the hard cap which is set at $74.3m. The difference between Green and Fab's salary compared to Smith is $3,560,280.

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:14 pm

Well now if that is a given.....shall we talk about Paul Pierce and his salary?

What if you threw that into the mix or better yet what about using amnesty on Pierce. Was his contract signed before the walkout? If so better use it now if there is no one else to use it on.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:18 pm

TJ, Please permit me a few moments to venture into the realm of the truly iconoclastic. Consider this. The Celts trade Paul Pierce for Dwight Howard straight up. That allows Kobe to remain at shooting guard. PP takes the small forward spot. MWP is the Power Forward, and Pau Gasol moves to center.

The Celts get Dwight for the rest of this season and perhaps can make enough noise in the playoffs for him to resign. You know the Lakers aren't going to the NBA Finals this year. With Dwight the Celtics could.

From an accounting point of view, I simply can't understand why Dwight would want to take 13% California income tax hit. On a $19M salary, that's $2.47M! Why he ever left no income tax FL is a mystery to me. Unless he's thinking Hollywood. As if that's about to happen for him.

Of course this would solve the Celtics need for an outside shooter, but what a new wrinkle in the fabric of the Celtics game DH could create. I bet Doc would be a great coach for him.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:19 pm

It would be quite the coup if Boston could get Redick. He has developed into a solid, solid player at both ends of the court and in pressure situations. A smart guy who makes good decisions, shoots the ball, and makes his teammates better.

My question is why Orlando would consider trading him. Expiring contract or not, they should make a play for him as a mainstay of the franchise going forward. Orlando is in a position to take some risks, and betting on Redick at the risk of losing him to free agency is a sensible course. Getting another team's castoffs and spare parts seems like a dubious move. Redick is currently a steal at $6.1 million, so what would Orlando get of equal value assuming they get $6.1 million in assets in return? A multi-team deal could make it work, but that would depend on one team being duped or otherwise getting the short end of the deal. If I'm Orlando, I'm inviting Redick in for a chat to explain that he's not going to be traded and that they have big plans for him in the future.

Vucevic is a below-the-radar guy who is having a really good year. It's sort of come out of nowhere, considering he wasn't even a blip on the radar at USC and put up pedestrian numbers last year as a rookie. But given the opportunity of increased playing time this year (thank you, Dwight), he's shown that he could be something. He's averaging 11.1 rebounds (third in the league), 11.9 points on 51.8% shooting, and 1.2 blocks this season. He's also trending up, averaging 13.5 rebounds and 14 points since mid-December. He had one eye-popping game of 20 points and 29 rebounds, with the 29 rebounds setting a franchise record (no small feat considering the franchise had both Shaq and Dwight). Maybe he's a flash in the pan, but I consider it more likely that he's a late bloomer who could be a real find.

If Boston can get Redick, great. If they can get Vucevic, even better. Why Orlando would be willing to part with either would be a mystery.

Last edited by Outside on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:22 pm

Orlando won't part with either.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:25 pm

It comes down to the Big Questions ....does JJ Reddick like Orlando enough to resign? If not, Orlando loses another player without getting anything in return. Second does Orlando want to pay him let say $8M for that position which is not a key position if they are to rebuild?

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:27 pm

If Boston doesn't want Pierce back next season, they have two options. Amnesty him or not pick up the final year of his contract. Amnestying him is the smartest move. If they amnestied Pierce, Boston would have to pay Pierce $5m which is his guaranteed amount for the 2013-14 season. Boston would receive a credit for whatever his new team pays him next season. So, if another team gives him $4m for next season, Boston only has to pay $1m of his $5m salary. Boston would also remove his $5m from the payroll for salary cap purposes. If they choose not to pick up Pierce's contract, they would owe him $5m next season and his $5m would count against the cap.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:30 pm

I'd like to see PP playing alongside Kobe.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:33 pm

worcester wrote:TJ, Please permit me a few moments to venture into the realm of the truly iconoclastic. Consider this. The Celts trade Paul Pierce for Dwight Howard straight up. That allows Kobe to remain at shooting guard. PP takes the small forward spot. MWP is the Power Forward, and Pau Gasol moves to center.

The Celts get Dwight for the rest of this season and perhaps can make enough noise in the playoffs for him to resign. You know the Lakers aren't going to the NBA Finals this year. With Dwight the Celtics could.

From an accounting point of view, I simply can't understand why Dwight would want to take 13% California income tax hit. On a $19M salary, that's $2.47M! Why he ever left no income tax FL is a mystery to me. Unless he's thinking Hollywood. As if that's about to happen for him.

Of course this would solve the Celtics need for an outside shooter, but what a new wrinkle in the fabric of the Celtics game DH could create. I bet Doc would be a great coach for him.

The Lakers would get significantly slower and older with Pierce then with Dwight.
With Jordan Hill out for the year, who would be the Lakers big man while Pau is resting or in foul trouble?
If the Lakers trade Dwight it will be for young players and draft picks.
Dwight's earning potential in LA via marketing will easily pay for his high state and sales taxes in California.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:34 pm

TJ

It is simple & clear, Boston has to do it if they cannot trade Pierce! Look, Pierce lives in Malibu on the off season...it's his home base and where he will retire to, not Boston. Look to the Lakers or Clippers for a trade. It may just be 2 years of draft picks or a young guy who brings a certain something to be a role player.

However what about Memphis? They are knocking at the door step of making serious noise...a vet like Pierce could make sense if there are trade pieces that match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:35 pm

TJ,

Trade Checker says both hypothetical trades work financially for purposes of exchanging players. I believe the critical figures relate NOT to raw salaries but, rather, how much each player accounts for against the cap. They're different figures. Look at Trade Checker. It doesn't even list actual salaries. It lists other figures, which are considerably different from the raw salaries and, I believe, relate to how much each player accounts for against the cap.

I expect you're right in terms of what the Celtics can take on in additional salary, although I'm not sure whether it relates to (1) the same "against the cap' figures I referenced above or (2) only the remaining salaries for this season. I expect gyso will be letting me know.

Thanks,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Combined tax rate is between state, special state tax now imposed & health care tax & Federal, 55% -60%.

That is why Phil Michelson the golfer from San Diego spoke out about leaving...... he makes $40+ a year.

Does not make sense to stay there in his top earning years>

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:44 pm

Sam,

Here is the link to NBA Trade Machine.
If you look at the math, even without Trade Checker or Trade Machine, we can calculate that the trade doesn't fit the paramaters of the 125% plus $100,000 rule.

Green and Melo make $9,639,720 and Smith makes $13,200,000.
$9,639,720 x 125% = $11,712,150 + $100,000 = $11,812,150.
$11,812,150 is the most Boston could take back for Green and Melo.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:47 pm

worcester wrote:I'd like to see PP playing alongside Kobe.
Wait... what?

Numerous random thoughts passing through my brain:

• I think I need to get my eyes checked. I could swear I heard someone say they'd like to see Paul Pierce and Kobe playing together.

• Aren't you aware what happens when you place matter and anti-matter together?

• So that scenario would mean Dwight on the Celtics. I think that would mean 400,000 Celtic fans' heads spontaneously exploding. "Pierce gone? Dwight here? Gaaa!" [Boom!]

• No, wait, "PP" must be Patrick Patterson on the Rockets. Yeah, that's it. Whew.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:48 pm

TJ

What if you took out Melo and added Bass?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next